Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

CactusWeasle posted:

Would you like to see IndyCar on FOX? Because its pretty much the same thing, with absolutely none of the positive aspects

I mean as long as they're getting the American announcing feed? Should be fine I would imagine.

Sky Sports hasn't used their own announcer feed since 2008 (Gary Lee, Larry Rice as announcers) and 2012 for their own pre-race (Keith Huewen)

If they do go with a guy for their own feed? It would probably be Greg Rakestraw who called qualifications for the international feed when Alonso was qualifying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
Prior to 2012, they covered IndyCar for what it was, they had their own studio, usually with Huewen and a guest, sometimes Darren Manning or Jonny Mowlem. I think the big fear now,
is its specifically on SkySportF1, and its going to be :words: Alonso :words: Ericsson :words: well you see F1 is like this and :words:

Their coverage of NASCAR was hilariously bad, and they got eaten alive for it.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

CactusWeasle posted:

Their coverage of NASCAR was hilariously bad, and they got eaten alive for it.

I'm bolding this part.

I've been trying to track down whomever was covering Cup in 08 in the UK.

There's a special that was done called "NASCAR: WHAT'S THE HYPE" or something to that effect. It's the most surreal thing as it shows Cup probably at it's most commercially viable and shows ex-f1, indy guys were all over there at the time.

They interview Dario and he has this stare that says "I think I made a big mistake". They also show him being introduced at Daytona and the only cheers come from the two brits who were sent to cover it.

If anyone has that? Please by all means post it here.

Anyways...would a global partner actually put that sort of effort into IndyCar in it's current state? that's my question really.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

FuzzySkinner posted:

They interview Dario and he has this stare that says "I think I made a big mistake". They also show him being introduced at Daytona and the only cheers come from the two brits who were sent to cover it.

this sounds like something out of This is Spinal Tap

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006

FuzzySkinner posted:

I'm bolding this part.

I've been trying to track down whomever was covering Cup in 08 in the UK.

There's a special that was done called "NASCAR: WHAT'S THE HYPE" or something to that effect. It's the most surreal thing as it shows Cup probably at it's most commercially viable and shows ex-f1, indy guys were all over there at the time.

If anyone has that? Please by all means post it here.

I have *some* of Sky Sports 2008 coverage recorded and I just checked the Shootout and 500 coverage, nothing like that jumps out but as I'm adding races I'll keep an eye out. I know there was a point
I stopped recording them and just downloaded the full US coverage because the Sky coverage was so cringe-inducingly bad

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Fauxhawk Express posted:

this sounds like something out of This is Spinal Tap

I'm very glad he booked out it out of there in hindsight. Got 2 more Indy 500 wins as a result.

(gently caress that track in Houston....he should have 4 wins like Mears, Unser, and Foyt.)

CactusWeasle posted:

I have *some* of Sky Sports 2008 coverage recorded and I just checked the Shootout and 500 coverage, nothing like that jumps out but as I'm adding races I'll keep an eye out. I know there was a point
I stopped recording them and just downloaded the full US coverage because the Sky coverage was so cringe-inducingly bad

It aired in the weeks after it. Had two hosts in a studio in London trying to tell people to tune in for the races all year long and trying to tie Dario to their coverage of it.

Probably the moment IndyCar was at it's (commercially) lowest point. Not a good look when NASCAR had:
-The IRL Posterboy (Tony Stewart)
-The 1995 Indy 500 Winner, 1995 National Champion (Villeneuve)
-The reigning Indy 500 champion and IRL Champion (Dario)
-The 1999 CART Champion, 2000 Indy 500 winner (Montoya)
-One of your "Next big thing"-types in CCWS (AJ Allmendinger)
-One of your Canadian names (Patrick Carpentier)
-The 2006 Indy 500 winner, 3 times series Champion (Hornish Jr.)
-Insanely talented USAC Alums (Gordon, Kahne, Newman)

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I think the comparison for Americans was that previously it was on like ESPN 2 (a cable channel, but very common) and it moved to like how Speed Channel was before it went pop -- usually only on more expensive cable tiers.

it would make sense in terms of the "packaging the racing together," and so long as the coverage by SkySports F1 isn't too overbearing (just leave the American commentary to it basically), but that might not happen, and it definitely sucks for anyone who isn't also really interested in F1 or doesn't have that kind of budget.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

CART on Spike TV was sure a thing

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Would be nice if the Brits hired perhaps Ben Edwards and Jeremy Shaw again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZQZ6MjtGPQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMV8hsHXxHc

They also had...some.. James...hinch...cliffe? guy do color for them back in the day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuGmsM8yah8

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
CART turning down an ESPN deal in 2002 was surreal.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Frond posted:

CART turning down an ESPN deal in 2002 was surreal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sYwUi_ClMM

I thought it was the other way around.

Combo of a couple things pretty much happened with ESPN, CART/IRL

First off? They lost the rights to NASCAR. This was after F1 and IMSA were Speed Channel properties. So their motor racing department was pretty much decimated at that point. They stopped airing "Saturday Night Thunder" in 2002 for example. I imagine they just stopped caring at that point. NASCAR was the ultimate glue holding everything together.

Second off? ESPN nabbed the rights from the NBA away from NBC. They also found this PTI show at the same time which launched a ton of hot take programs that the network is still riding with to this very day. I imagine auto racing was not viewed as good use of "time filler" as it had been for the network.

Third off? The only thing the ABC/ESPN empire viewed as 'valuable" after NASCAR was the "500". This was pretty much due to some of the leftover staff from the ABC WWOS being around the channel during this time. ESPN proper? Couldn't stand Indy for whatever reason. In fact their "hot take talk shows" would rip it to shreds whenever it was brought up.

Honestly had ESPN not gotten the rights to NASCAR from NBC in 2007? I bet money the last AOWR telecast on that network would have been the "timebuy" champcar had with them at Mexico City in 07.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I’ve mentioned it before but the book Those Guys Have All The Fun has a lot of good details from that era. Management changed, “ABC Sports” shifted from being an independent operation to a brand of ESPN so their priorities (including IndyCar) shifted, and this was the point at which ESPN decided to shift from what made them popular to having grander ideas about what to promote.

And I’m not sure it’s entirely the NBA’s fault, as the NFL machine was revving up at that time too.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

harperdc posted:

I’ve mentioned it before but the book Those Guys Have All The Fun has a lot of good details from that era. Management changed, “ABC Sports” shifted from being an independent operation to a brand of ESPN so their priorities (including IndyCar) shifted, and this was the point at which ESPN decided to shift from what made them popular to having grander ideas about what to promote.

And I’m not sure it’s entirely the NBA’s fault, as the NFL machine was revving up at that time too.

Yeah it's not mean't to poo poo on the NBA. I actually feel awful because the coverage they've received by ESPN really pales in comparison to Turner Sports currently and NBC's stellar coverage in the past.

But, it really does match the timeline of the decline in cover and their disinterest as well. You've said it before, but when they lost the NFL? that was it.

January 4, 2006 was the last time a college football game used the branding (Texas-USC Rose Bowl) February 5, 2006 was the last NFL game on the network (Super Bowl XL).

Last event of the ABC Sports branding was the 2006 Kentucky race (Which only the Sky Sports version exists online at the moment) was the last to use the ABC WWOS branding.

The old ABC Sports used to be very proud of having the rights to things like the Tour De France, The Triple Crown The World Cup, Monaco, and Indianapolis. They were an insanely good partner and really helped the 500 even during some of it's lowest points (1996-1999).

Last few years was literally IMS Productions carrying the majority of the work and Bestwick trying his very best with ABC/ESPN seemingly not wanting to give them the time of day.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

FuzzySkinner posted:

Yeah it's not mean't to poo poo on the NBA. I actually feel awful because the coverage they've received by ESPN really pales in comparison to Turner Sports currently and NBC's stellar coverage in the past.

But, it really does match the timeline of the decline in cover and their disinterest as well. You've said it before, but when they lost the NFL? that was it.

January 4, 2006 was the last time a college football game used the branding (Texas-USC Rose Bowl) February 5, 2006 was the last NFL game on the network (Super Bowl XL).

I’d have to go check the book but I think it was 2000-2001 or so when ABC WWOS stopped being a separate business team and instead was just a brand rolled into ESPN. And as that integration continued, it became less and less ABC. So what they cared about - including Indy - went by the wayside.

Auto racing was a mainstay of the “we have to work around our limitations” ESPN, back when they were showing sports that had cheaper rights (this ironically included college football at the time). Racing? College sports? More MLB coverage? Aussie rules? That era helped them grow, and try different things. I know it was the Aussies that used in-car cameras first, but ESPN did a lot for how to show Motorsports on TV.

This year is the first “500” any of us will know that isn’t on ABC, and that’s weird, but I trust that NBC will do it right. I’m still frustrated by some of NBC’s business decisions (Gold not carrying live streaming is a terrible idea, and having no global package direct from the series — see IMSA — is a missed opportunity), but I think they do the broadcast and promotion well. It was clear ESPN couldn’t give two shits even about the “500” as of last year. The only reason they have F1 is because it’s given to them for free (and Mother’s (?) paid to make it ad-free).

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

harperdc posted:

I’d have to go check the book but I think it was 2000-2001 or so when ABC WWOS stopped being a separate business team and instead was just a brand rolled into ESPN. And as that integration continued, it became less and less ABC. So what they cared about - including Indy - went by the wayside.

Auto racing was a mainstay of the “we have to work around our limitations” ESPN, back when they were showing sports that had cheaper rights (this ironically included college football at the time). Racing? College sports? More MLB coverage? Aussie rules? That era helped them grow, and try different things. I know it was the Aussies that used in-car cameras first, but ESPN did a lot for how to show Motorsports on TV.

This year is the first “500” any of us will know that isn’t on ABC, and that’s weird, but I trust that NBC will do it right. I’m still frustrated by some of NBC’s business decisions (Gold not carrying live streaming is a terrible idea, and having no global package direct from the series — see IMSA — is a missed opportunity), but I think they do the broadcast and promotion well. It was clear ESPN couldn’t give two shits even about the “500” as of last year. The only reason they have F1 is because it’s given to them for free (and Mother’s (?) paid to make it ad-free).

In "Days of Thunder", Cole Trickle pretty much says "You'd be surprised how much you could pick up watching ESPN" when referring to any knowledge he'd have of stock car racing.

He was actually sort of right. ESPN's coverage of stock car racing during the 80's and 90's was that GOO.

Yeah with F1? They really don't have to do much sans just airing the world feed. Still feels "off" watching it. I miss Varsha, Diffey, Hobbo and Matchett..no ads is okay though.

The lone..comfort is it doesn't feel so out of place on NBC. That network has seemingly been interested in this form of the sport since 1979 or so. Couple of "lore" moments actually have happened on it.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

FuzzySkinner posted:

Yeah with F1? They really don't have to do much sans just airing the world feed. Still feels "off" watching it. I miss Varsha, Diffey, Hobbo and Matchett..no ads is okay though.

The deal was up and Liberty wanted to guarantee streaming rights to help setup F1TV, but NBC wasn’t going to give that up. ESPN gets the broadcast without doing much but hosting the feed, and Liberty can sell its subscription in the US.

See how this played out re: IndyCar and streaming.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Sooooo....

https://twitter.com/AutoRacing1/status/1102810996605927424

I suppose that..
1.) Honda winning the 500 with Sato-san
2.) NTT Data becoming series sponsors
3.) Jay Frye and Darren Sansum being apart of the series
https://us.motorsport.com/indycar/news/ex-toyota-engineer-to-lead-indycar-engine-development-1001056/1389156/

Has Toyota interested for whatever reason.

https://www.foxsports.com/nascar/story/toyota-racing-boss-indycar-dilution-led-automaker-to-nascar-032114

Which sounds rather odd considering Toyota's last statement on the series in 2014. (Basically in 2003? Management wanted out, Empty Seats, and the 500 wasn't very prestigious) and them recently pulling out of sponsoring Long Beach.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

FuzzySkinner posted:

Sooooo....

https://twitter.com/AutoRacing1/status/1102810996605927424

I suppose that..
1.) Honda winning the 500 with Sato-san
2.) NTT Data becoming series sponsors
3.) Jay Frye and Darren Sansum being apart of the series
https://us.motorsport.com/indycar/news/ex-toyota-engineer-to-lead-indycar-engine-development-1001056/1389156/

Has Toyota interested for whatever reason.

https://www.foxsports.com/nascar/story/toyota-racing-boss-indycar-dilution-led-automaker-to-nascar-032114

I mean, have you seen how bad Cup racing is getting?

IMSA is doing fine, but the NASCAR side is teetering close to the “costs too much for what we’re getting out of it” level, and with more teams having to stack multiple primary sponsors onto cars, the numbers may be starting to fall off.

Compare with IndyCar, which is lower overhead, gaining traction with fans and events again, and could potentially be seen as what NASCAR was circa 2000 - more bang for your buck.

It still sounds like baseless speculation, but ignore stuff about Long Beach as well. Could be a chance that the LBGP sponsorship was organized by local dealers and an IndyCar program would be decided at a much higher level.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
Can you imagine Toyota leaving Cup for IndyCar? :pray: :fap:

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Toyota has way to much money invested in NASCAR and its pipeline to just up and abandon it, but I'd be stoked to see them jump back into Indy as an addition.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

How much is the spend for a manufacturer in NASCAR? They've got to R&D the body and probably stamp a few, R&D the basic engine components and cast them... but isn't it up to the teams to do a lot of it on their own dime?

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 5 days!)

according to TRD's website they build the motors themselves.

Team 5 at TRD's website posted:

“All told, TRD supporting six racing teams, we will build somewhere between 350 and 400 engines per year.

and

quote:

“We provide all the engineering and development… we design the bodies, we help the teams with aero… we help the teams with tire information, understanding the tires better to get more grip and more life out of them. We provide simulation support for all of our teams

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Toyota is spending more than $100m a year in NASCAR, easily. If you said $200m, I wouldn't even blink. You could probably do an IndyCar engine program for less than $20m (assuming you are supplying only 6ish cars) including support and the mandatory advertising costs Honda/GM will make you do, but NASCAR does get a lot more eyeballs week in and week out.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
I mean, it’s plausible. The only thing I can’t see is Toyota utilizing Cosworth but anything can happen.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Peanut President posted:

according to TRD's website they build the motors themselves.

Cygni posted:

Toyota is spending more than $100m a year in NASCAR, easily. If you said $200m, I wouldn't even blink.

I stand corrected.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Just loving lol at spending money in NASCAR in tyool 2019

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

St. Cyr, who in my opinion has done more personally to save/boost IndyCar racing than nearly anyone else, is getting a humungo promotion in Honda. Sucks to see him go though.

https://www.motorsport.com/indycar/news/klaus-replaces-st-cyr-hpd/4347780/

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Cygni posted:

True manufacturer teams are explicitly banned, I think. There are also limitations on direct cash investments in teams after the Toyota debacle. They also have to provide the same engines to everyone at a max set price (indycar actually assigns the engine out of the pool, not the manufacturer), and there are a minimum number of engines you have to agree to provide (i think for a 3rd builder it would be set at a theoretical 40% of the field)

The manufacturers can still give free engines, and can help teams with sponsorship though. They can also beef up the side deals, like buying hospitality suite space, or paying for more driver meet/greets, stuff like that.

The biggest barrier to any new manufacturer doing wacky stuff isn't IndyCar, it's Honda and Chevy. They have established a oddly productive coopetition style arraingement, and they really will be the ones that set the terms for any 3rd builder.

I think if McLaren or Peugeot or Fiat wanted to come in and say "Andretti is our development team, but we are also supplying Carlin and whoever else with identical engines", it would fly.

McLaren is not going to build its own engines.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

drgitlin posted:

Neither does Chevy

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

drgitlin posted:

Probably not, but they are one of the rumors going around which is why i listed them.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Cygni posted:

St. Cyr, who in my opinion has done more personally to save/boost IndyCar racing than nearly anyone else, is getting a humungo promotion in Honda. Sucks to see him go though.

https://www.motorsport.com/indycar/news/klaus-replaces-st-cyr-hpd/4347780/

Great news for him though, he's a really good bloke.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

kidcoelacanth posted:

Toyota has way to much money invested in NASCAR and its pipeline to just up and abandon it, but I'd be stoked to see them jump back into Indy as an addition.

Yeah they really do invest quite a bit in that.

They have a very huge presence in the Chili Bowl for example. I will say it's rather sad they're not as recieved as well in stock car racing considering all the heavy lifting they've done for that form of the sport.

It's also why I find this rumor puzzling. Generally doesn't Toyota telegraph what they're going to be involved with via being involved in sports related to the aforementioned program or junior programs?

e: To add? I would be more willing to bet on Lexus DPI being a thing if anything.

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Mar 5, 2019

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

this Andretti promo real is perty good

https://twitter.com/FollowAndretti/status/1103015401284423681

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Would have been better if they had included Sato's checkered flag scream on the radio bits at the end.

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos
I like how the whole thing can be seen as broadly inspiring and also a petty dig at Marco.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

FuzzySkinner posted:

e: To add? I would be more willing to bet on Lexus DPI being a thing if anything.

Marshall Pruett has talked about that and said it was explored but isn’t live at the moment.

I can believe Toyota dipping a toe back in — the current CEO is a racer, and IndyCar would be relatively inexpensive — and doing so with Cosworth, at least to start. No other race engine matches the current IndyCar formula, so no re-using their Super Formula/Super GT turbo four. But Cosworth has the head start there anyways.

Toyota only has the one victory at Indy — and may be smart to read how this series is growing.

How about the Toyota Road to Indy as well...?

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

harperdc posted:

Marshall Pruett has talked about that and said it was explored but isn’t live at the moment.

I can believe Toyota dipping a toe back in — the current CEO is a racer, and IndyCar would be relatively inexpensive — and doing so with Cosworth, at least to start. No other race engine matches the current IndyCar formula, so no re-using their Super Formula/Super GT turbo four. But Cosworth has the head start there anyways.

Toyota only has the one victory at Indy — and may be smart to read how this series is growing.

How about the Toyota Road to Indy as well...?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lA38yI778g&t=6m20s

Wouldn't technically be the first time ;)

And yeah. I mean all that would be needed would be badging.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Oh my god I remember that ad :psyduck:

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

harperdc posted:

Oh my god I remember that ad :psyduck:

That clip and the clip detailing "Silly Season" is very surreal to see considering what was to happen by January of next year.

Example? I guess Arie Luyendyk would have either been a teammate to Jeff Krosnoff or would have been the lone driver trying to make the Toyota driven Arcerio Wells team a "thing". Rather different than being in the year old Ford Reynard for Bryd-Treadway setting the record that still stands to this day.

The efforts of Toyota, Honda and others to get involved in american racing as a whole is racing fascinating.

I imagine Cygni (And others including yourself) have much more to chime in about. when you watch the old 70's NASCAR and Indy 500 telecasts? Toyota always seemed like they wanted in on sponsoring the event from a television POV. They sponsored both US GP's (east and west) and were hooked up with Dan Gurney since the early 80's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Roller Coast Guard posted:

Yeah, paying for Sky Sports F1 is vastly more expensive than BT sport.

I can get BT through my internet provider for £5 per month, I don't think there's any way to get Sky Sports F1 without spending over £30 per month .

The cheapest way is the NowTV 9 month Sky Sports deal but that's still over £20 a month and you have to pay the full £195 up front.