Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Yeah in its last tournament appearance it bodied two pseudos in a row

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

So what level is Ash’s pikachu? And has anyone gone through the series to figure out its EV spread?

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Beatles as Pokemon:

Heracross-- Paul
Pinsir- John
Grubbin-- George
Ledyba-- Ringo
-

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

So what level is Ash’s pikachu? And has anyone gone through the series to figure out its EV spread?

Trying to assign video game stats to the anime is an exercise is frustration. Remember, Pikachu shocked Rhydon in the horn

GlassLotus
Mar 16, 2014

I once got a fortune cookie that said "Ask your mom". I've also gotten several blank fortune cookies... I guess that explains why I'm broke.
I'm like ~60 pokemon away from finishing my living dex which includes all of the sexual, regional, and color variations (so about ~1000 pokemon). Woot.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

GlassLotus posted:

I'm like ~60 pokemon away from finishing my living dex which includes all of the sexual, regional, and color variations (so about ~1000 pokemon). Woot.

Geez, good job. What are you still missing?

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

They now have Giovanni's full backing, since he also saw how strong Pikachu was at the end of the BW anime. They also keep taking credit for dismantling the region's evil team, so he specifically sends them to new regions so they can quash whatever evil plot is going there so Team Rocket can be the dominant force.

GlassLotus
Mar 16, 2014

I once got a fortune cookie that said "Ask your mom". I've also gotten several blank fortune cookies... I guess that explains why I'm broke.

thetoughestbean posted:

Geez, good job. What are you still missing?

A good portion of it is like in between evolutions, so the middle of things that have 3. Mostly the middle evolutions and female versions of starters. A few things that require trading with held items like steelix and magmortar, a few that require friendship to evolve, one of the sexual dimorphisms of weavile (leveling up while holding razor claw at night is clearly too much effort), three or four of the legendaries like manaphy and celebi, a handful of the end game stuff from sun and moon, and a handful of just random "evolve this at X level" type stuff.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Crosspeice posted:

They now have Giovanni's full backing, since he also saw how strong Pikachu was at the end of the BW anime. They also keep taking credit for dismantling the region's evil team, so he specifically sends them to new regions so they can quash whatever evil plot is going there so Team Rocket can be the dominant force.

Huh, so the Pokemon mafia never got dismantled in the anime? And it's still spreading to other regions? That's a little unsettling.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Big Bad Beetleborg posted:

They're probably saving the Beatles analogue for the anime so Ash can piss himself and faint in a crowd allowing Team Rocket a chance to nab Pikachu

It's just going to be Alolan Dugtrio again.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Huh, so the Pokemon mafia never got dismantled in the anime? And it's still spreading to other regions? That's a little unsettling.

No Team Rocket Organization effectively means no Jessie, James and Meowth. As for spreading, well they would be spreading, but any time the larger organization gets involved, they end up getting their asses handed to them by the forces of good (either the Legendary they've been trying to capture or Ash and friends).

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I love the punchline that despite being greedy and wanting Pokemon just for the sake of selling them, Jesse and James are actually fantastic trainers and their pokemons love them to death

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Calaveron posted:

I love the punchline that despite being greedy and wanting Pokemon just for the sake of selling them, Jesse and James are actually fantastic trainers and their pokemons love them to death

They're also shown several times to be at the very least competent in normal jobs, sometimes even being shown as really skilled at them.

Jessie and James are basically only evil by choice, they could very easily live well if they decided to abandon that path but they won't. And even there, they're more "evil" than evil and are actually pretty nice people which is constantly shown as an imperative to be a good Pokemon Trainer, James especially managed to get IIRC the entirety of his team without ever fighting, only through sheer kindness.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Blaze Dragon posted:

They're also shown several times to be at the very least competent in normal jobs, sometimes even being shown as really skilled at them.

Jessie and James are basically only evil by choice, they could very easily live well if they decided to abandon that path but they won't. And even there, they're more "evil" than evil and are actually pretty nice people which is constantly shown as an imperative to be a good Pokemon Trainer, James especially managed to get IIRC the entirety of his team without ever fighting, only through sheer kindness.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Nth Doctor posted:

So this story about the interplay of Trevenant, Litwick, and Phantump gets me feeling some strong feels every time.

Trevenant: It can control trees at will. It will trap people who harm the forest, so they can never leave.

Litwick: While shining a light and pretending to be a guide, it leeches off the life force of any who follow it.

Source 1
Source 2

Here's a more recent story the same author did about Yamask and Cofagrigius

These are all great.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

GlassLotus posted:

I've got this outside the gender variants since there's a lot of them and alot of them look essentially the same.

I am missing a Darmittan with it's Zen mode ability and Totem Kommo-mo or whatever it's name is, since you can't bank any of the Totems only introduced in USUM for some reason.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

These are all great.

I love mons like dusknoir, which take the ghosts of the dead into the spirit world under orders from a higher power.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Yay my internet is back on! I can check back into the festival funhouse and see what’s what!

Edit: hOly balls Garbador is gross looking!

chaosapiant fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Mar 5, 2019

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

thetoughestbean posted:

Trying to assign video game stats to the anime is an exercise is frustration. Remember, Pikachu shocked Rhydon in the horn

The anime regularly ignores the game mechanics and actual move power too, like Pokemon that fire off instant Solar Beams, Double Team or Growl dealing damage, Pound sending opponents flying, Cut being stupidly strong, etc. The anime is so incoherent and random to the point that assigning numerical consistency is literally impossible.

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Mar 5, 2019

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5kRW54Bbe4

Scottish short fused trainer is canon right?

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Death battle did at some point - EV spread would be mostly random but with better than average speed because of all those Spearow.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
Would liepard or luvdisc actually be useful in a regular run through OS/AR or Ultra Sun/Moon if I go for one?

Crosscontaminant
Jan 18, 2007

GlassLotus posted:

Sounds like someone is missing a whole bunch of Spinda.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Aerofallosov posted:

Would liepard or luvdisc actually be useful in a regular run through OS/AR or Ultra Sun/Moon if I go for one?

Liepard sure. It'll fall off in the late game but I dragged a Gumshoos to the E4 in my first Sun run and he ended up ~okay~ even if he was my team's clear weak link. And Liepard is fast and has status stuff which means it can always be useful.

Luvdisc is like Magikarp tier garbage. Trying to use one is an exercise in hating yourself

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

My first breeding project ended up with producing a 6 IV Adamant Pancham with Scrappy (and like 30 rejects), so now I'm ready to false swipe some mons

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I finally got around to beating Ultra Necrozuma. Used both my Rotom EXPs to grind my team to 55 and they still all got one shot before they could get a move off with the exception of my Gigalith. Then I remembered I had a Choice Band so I could at least get a Nuzzle off, cutting its speed enough that my mons could actually get moves off and that was enough to make the difference.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Aerofallosov posted:

I love me some Liepards! It was the first and only mon I decided to try breeding, so I made a few in Y. Shame I can’t bring eggs over from game to game. I just logged into Y for the first time recently and had an egg waiting for me in the nursery.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

The anime regularly ignores the game mechanics and actual move power too, like Pokemon that fire off instant Solar Beams, Double Team or Growl dealing damage, Pound sending opponents flying, Cut being stupidly strong, etc. The anime is so incoherent and random to the point that assigning numerical consistency is literally impossible.

Actually if Sunny Day is used Solar Beam becomes an instant move. Similarly, Thunder's accuracy is affected by Rainy or Sunny weather.

E: In Gold and Silver, Red uses the Sunny Day + Solar Beam combo which I was convinced was hax back in 2001. Still no idea why Jasmine's Steelix spams Sunny Day.

CROWS EVERYWHERE fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Mar 5, 2019

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Maybe he is just a big sleepy metal snake who wants to have a nice snake nap in the warm sun.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Actually if Sunny Day is used Solar Beam becomes an instant move. Similarly, Thunder's accuracy is affected by Rainy or Sunny weather.

E: In Gold and Silver, Red uses the Sunny Day + Solar Beam combo which I was convinced was hax back in 2001. Still no idea why Jasmine's Steelix spams Sunny Day.

Well, it worked on me because it made my Quagsire's Surf do poo poo for damage. Ended up throwing my Quilava in there, who still had loving Ember.

Gen 2's movepools were really dire.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Aerofallosov posted:

In the main story mode literally any Pokemon (apart from obvious exceptions like Metapod or Magikarp or friends like that) can take you through the game. For the most part you have to choose to let other team mates take battles by the time you've got a pseudo on your team

So just pick your faves :shobon:

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Silver Falcon posted:

Well, it worked on me because it made my Quagsire's Surf do poo poo for damage. Ended up throwing my Quilava in there, who still had loving Ember.

Gen 2's movepools were really dire.

Quilava's move pool is still pretty damned dire.

All it's coverage moves are physical except for extrasensory, which is an egg move.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Actually would explain a lot that most Ghost-type Pokedex entries are literal in-universe ghost stories.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

https://twitter.com/Merryweatherey/status/1102712922810257408

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

https://twitter.com/kionkun1/status/1102659985031528469

Reference - The Last of Us spoilers

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

https://twitter.com/TomycaseM/status/1102620376000020486

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

This is fantastic

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Kurieg posted:

Quilava's move pool is still pretty damned dire.

All it's coverage moves are physical except for extrasensory, which is an egg move.

True. At least now he can do the one-trick pony thing with a Choice Scarf and Eruption. It's something.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

https://twitter.com/GentCollector/status/1102741668028211200?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Scottish trainer is official cannon now