Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
You died. How?
Ion Cannon
Crushed to death by rubble
Listened to one-to-many briefings from Sheppard
Consumed by Commander Rapter
View Results

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
There's a faint voice in the back of my head that says "It's explained in the next Red Alert game" but I legitimately don't know if that's true or not and I'm not going to look it up until that game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

No it's not as I recall.

Spoiling just in case.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
I'd prefer just not having it posted if its legit something explained in RA2.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

Zanzibar Ham posted:

It's a world where Tesla's stuff actually worked, the Soviet having his tech isn't that farfetched in comparison.

Tesla emigrated to the US before Hitler was even born, and if his bizarre weapon ideas actually worked, the US military would have been the ones to claim them. The Soviets might have stolen the plans or eventually kidnapped Tesla, but the US would still have most of his stuff.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

thetruegentleman posted:

Tesla emigrated to the US before Hitler was even born, and if his bizarre weapon ideas actually worked, the US military would have been the ones to claim them. The Soviets might have stolen the plans or eventually kidnapped Tesla, but the US would still have most of his stuff.

Obviously what happened is that, like with Edison, Tesla developed a rivalry with Einstein over wacky weaponry but the US decided to go with Einstein. Tesla then took his stuff to Russia.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

thetruegentleman posted:

Okay but maybe a world where physics allow the Tesla Coil to be feasible is a world where historically Tesla lived his whole life in eastern Europe.

Chronische
Aug 7, 2012

Wonder why there's no Edison tech, for that matter, if there's Tesla tech? I mean, outside of the basic wiring and lighting.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Because gently caress Edison.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Cause he had fewer people like Tesla around to steal from and make his name. In another, slightly different alternate universe, maybe the Allies have the Edison Coil.

Chronische
Aug 7, 2012

Dabir posted:

Cause he had fewer people like Tesla around to steal from and make his name. In another, slightly different alternate universe, maybe the Allies have the Edison Coil.

For all his faults, he was also an inventor. After all, the electric chair was all him! Just feels weird to use Tesla, not some other eastern European or Russian scientist or inventor, or someone made up, and not also use Edison. Do we ever learn who was behind the Iron Curtain project, for instance? I don't recall them ever bringing up who was behind it, save that it's all hush-hush.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Alternatively when that elephant was electrocuted with alternating current Russia was like "Holy poo poo that was loving awesome get that Tesla guy over here!"

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Maybe Stalin saw Tesla's immense Tesla Coils and his appreciation for brutalist aesthetics did the rest?

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

thetruegentleman posted:

I like to think the US military dismissed the idea because they were working on real world rules instead of video game ones and having to construct a giant advanced power plant just to power one single Coil was a completely nonsensical and massively inefficient proposition.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

Chronische posted:

Wonder why there's no Edison tech, for that matter, if there's Tesla tech? I mean, outside of the basic wiring and lighting.

Edison was never actually fond of any of his stuff being used as weapons, and thus avoided trying to deal with military; he was even a vegetarian, despite killing a LOT of animals in his labs. One suspects that Edison kinda lived in his own reality.

Kanfy posted:

I like to think the US military dismissed the idea because they were working on real world rules instead of video game ones and having to construct a giant advanced power plant just to power one single Coil was a completely nonsensical and massively inefficient proposition.

On the one hand, I can see that. On the other, Rocketeers, and a level in the RA2 expansion that is bar-none the best in video game history and gently caress anyone who says otherwise.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
But the best level ever is in RA3?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
ROCKETWHONOW?!

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

Jobbo_Fett posted:

ROCKETWHONOW?!

I don't get it, these guys are clearly German, but OH NO Bill Campbel is hot so he gets to steal all of the credit...

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
We're fighting the Soviets though...

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
we have always been at war with easteurope

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Like I said earlier, I am not sure if there is any in-game discussion or explanation of how the Soviets got Tesla tech but has been a while since I played RA2 and never touched RA3, so can't say for sure. It also might mostly/all be background material from any lore, instruction books, or other material from Westwood that never shows up in game. However, the simple answer is TIME TRAVEL sure caused a lot of things to go very weird. ;)

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Soviets Mission 12

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnYxv8oV3qk
Soviets Mission 12

Stalin wants the Chronosphere and, due in part to Gradenko's failures, that objective has been delayed until now. Thankfully, there have been signs to indicate that a Chronosphere is in operation near Ceti(?), and we must capture it.

I dunno :shrug: I'd guess somewhere near Zug, but the map is so small that it could be anywhere in the middle of Switzerland.

Objective: Capture the Chronosphere at all costs!

Briefing: We have learned the location of the Chronosphere weapon, and we want to capture it. The Allies have boobytrapped the Chronosphere to explode if approached. Capturing the tech centers BEFORE taking the Chronosphere may allow you to defuse any traps. Use extreme caution.

Author's note: A lovely introduction and a challenging map, it's kind of a shame that it offers the same basic premise as the last level, yet does it in a less frustrating fashion.

Name: Joseph Stalin
Aliases: Unknown
Affiliation: Soviet
Voiced/Played by: Gene Dynarski

Leader of the Soviet Union, he has grand plans for the conquest of Europe and does not like to be let down by his commanders. Is in a relationship(?) with Nadia. Asks Gradenko for a show of loyalty by signing death warrants for suspected traitors to the Soviet Union. Personally promotes the Commander to the rank of General.

Name: Capt. Georgi Kukov
Occupation: Commander within the Soviet Forces [Chief of Field Operations]
Voiced/Played by: Craig Cavanah

A seemingly no-nonsense leader within the Soviet Forces. A god drat pervert who likes to watch his boss gently caress. Conspiring with Nadia to eliminate Gradenko. Allows the player the use of the new MiG attack aircraft. Notifies Stalin of a potential Chronosphere location in Switzerland.

Name: Nadia
Voiced/Played by: Andrea Robinson

Projects a perfectionist attitude and seemingly holds a grudge against Gradenko. Tasks the Commander with preventing a nuclear meltdown. Is in a relationship(?) with Stalin. Murdered Gradenko via poisoned tea; It was delicious.

Name: Unknown
Affiliation: Soviet(?)
Voiced/Played by: Unknown

Advisor to Joseph Stalin, apparently. Everyone appears uncomfortable when he is in the room. WHO ARE YOU?!

N/A

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Premise in the sense that you have to cross water but the game doesn't hide stuff in super annoying locations.

Chronische
Aug 7, 2012

thetruegentleman posted:

Edison was never actually fond of any of his stuff being used as weapons, and thus avoided trying to deal with military; he was even a vegetarian, despite killing a LOT of animals in his labs. One suspects that Edison kinda lived in his own reality.

You say that, but Einstein was a pacifist too, yet despite that he's helped invent a technology that has unsurpassed military application!

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Glad to see that Stalin doesn't seem to care or even notice that Gradenko is dead, although I do wonder what that mysterious bald adviser guy said to Stalin, seemed to really mellow him out after Stalin was throwing a temper tantrum over the Chronosphere. Oh, and I love the subtle glance Kukov throws at Stalin when the player character is promoted to general, another one of those blink and you miss it moments that have been scattered throughout the Soviet campaign briefings.

Anyway, this mission is bit less overly difficult then the last one but it still is very challenging and the Allies throw some different tricks at you. Starting the map off with a grand attack on the northern Allied outpost is a great way to kick off the map, and I love when C&C games do things like this. Even this fight is a bit tricky, as there is a good number of Allied units to clean up afterwords and you don't exactly have a grand army to do it with. Unfortunately, your starting credits are bare bones, although at least you have access to a good-sized ore field. However, you have to deal with mass Longbow attacks, with pretty much force you to spam out several SAM Sites to counter them, and even then a Longbow can tank a surprisingly high number of missiles before going down. Combined this with an early sneak attack at the rear of your base and you have to really play smart with the handful of units you have left after the big fight at the start.

Once you get established though, things calm down on the land front. Allied land attacks mostly come from a single direction and after their early rush are much more measured and easily dealt with. Longbows will continue to strike at your Ore Trucks but your line of SAM Sites will keep them at bay. However, there is a fair few Cruisers in the water, and dealing with them is difficult. Destroyers near your shoreline will make getting any Subs out a major race, and building a Sub Pen seems to just call in all the Cruisers on the map, so definitely make sure your economy is up and running before going on the water.

The objectives for the map are once again a nice change up from the old clear the map of all enemies, although by the time you complete them, odds are most enemy units will have been taken care off. The mainland Allied base is nothing special honestly, but you will have to sink all the nearby Cruisers first. Capturing the Allied Construction yard will make landing on the island to capture the last 3 Tech Centers much easier, as Cruisers and Destroyers can clear most of the defenses there. Honestly, Destroyers might be the better pick, as they have good accuracy and won't have the massive splash damage problem that Cruisers do. In any case, I also like that as soon as you capture a tech center, a five minute timer starts up for you to capture the remaining ones, which might catch you off guard and force a major scramble for the last ones if you have not already cleared out the island beforehand.

So, yeah, a solid challenge that relies less on endless spawn BS and more straight up smart tactics and combat. Only real negative is that I don't think that the Allies actually make use of the Chronosphere though, which is a real shame. I do wonder how old Stalin will take the Allies blowing up the Chronosphere like that though...

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
I like the advisor guy giving the Commander the side-eye for some reason, is he talking about us? Trying to tell us something? Eh, maybe it has something to do with the promotion. It's kind of a shame the chronosphere is so... meh. Same with the soviet's toy too really. They haven't yet even kind of been as important or impactful as the briefings and videos would have us believe.

Plek fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Mar 6, 2019

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Gradenko specifically says "But I don't see my name here" when he's drinking with his best friend in the world Stalin.

Dammit you are right. I still like my version better :v:

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Nadia's exasperated/stressed-out pinching of the bridge of her nose is also great. I presume that writing and acting The Baddies is much more fun than playing it straight as the allies.

Those longbows are just complete assholes, especially at the start. But the AI is dumb and likes targeting the first thing it sees as it sends them left towards your base... so I figured that I was going to get killed before I could get SAMs up, and simply made sure there were always at least 2 rifle infantry/technicians standing on the eastern coast of the ore fields as bait for the helicopters. Since allied choppers only carry armour-piercing missiles, they take 2-3 trips to kill a single rifleman - $200 can easily buy you several minutes of peace and quiet.

You can avoid most of the mines if you attack through the ore field instead of taking the direct route to the southern base, but I flubbed my capture attempt and accidentally blew up everything except for the radar dome so it never occured to me that I could have been smarter and built cruisers/destroyers. Instead I went with surgical airstrikes and a repair bay to curb my losses, then picked off the allied boats and power plants one by one until I could safely land 20 heavy tanks on the island.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
The story would have been a lot better if Gradenko's corpse kept lying on the table for the rest of the game.

I really didn't remember not-Kane (as opposed to the real Nod-Kane) having such a large role in those cutscenes.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
The line about "rightfully ours" is interesting; I don't remember if it will have plot relevance later on, but right now it feels like it's Stalin buying into his own propaganda; the thing is basically a nationalist catchphrase.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I thought it was pretty clear. The Soviets had Einstein in captivity, somehow he escaped, if he hadn't escaped the Soviets would have either killed him (thus never finding out about the Chronosphere) or made him build it for them.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
I completely forget, or maybe missed (?) it, but do we know what Iron Curtain (Soviet's super-weapon) does? I've heard it mentioned in both playthrough, but have no idea what's its purpose.

Szurumbur fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Mar 6, 2019

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Szurumbur posted:

I completely forget, or maybe missed it, but do we know what Iron Curtain (Soviet's super-weapon) does? I've heard it mentioned in both playthrough, but must've (?) missed it - or was it only mentioned and not shown?

In both the big cutscene about it with the allies (w/ Einstein) and in the gameplay portion we see that a unit targetted by the iron curtain is impervious to damage for a short period of time.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

tonberrytoby posted:

The story would have been a lot better if Gradenko's corpse kept lying on the table for the rest of the game.

I really didn't remember not-Kane (as opposed to the real Nod-Kane) having such a large role in those cutscenes.

Does he have a large role though? We've seen him about 3 times, so a quarter of the missions so fsr and we have never heard him speak. He's like ole Stavros!

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

Jobbo_Fett posted:

In both the big cutscene about it with the allies (w/ Einstein) and in the gameplay portion we see that a unit targetted by the iron curtain is impervious to damage for a short period of time.

Thanks, I really should pay closer attention to what I'm watching.

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Does he have a large role though? We've seen him about 3 times, so a quarter of the missions so fsr and we have never heard him speak. He's like ole Stavros!

Hey now, the mystery adviser is nothing like Stavros! He has at least double the number of emotions, and seems to actually be doing something in cutscenes besides sitting around gazing at a wall or stomping off in a rage.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
It's worth highlighting just how dirt poor you are at the start of this mission. If you don't realize you have 3000 credits and, like me, first build a barracks and a handful of grenadiers in case there are some early attacks coming, you won't actually have the money to even build an Ore Refinery. And speaking of the start of the mission, that V2 automatically rolling right next to the turrets and blowing up right away if you don't manually turn it around is a dick move.

That southern base is a surprisingly tough nut, I went in with like 8 Mammoth Tanks and they just straight up couldn't get through the defenses. A trio of V2s softening them up beforehand made it a lot easier though, while they normally don't target things hidden by fog, I think the fog from gap generators don't count as long as you've revealed the terrain under it at least once before.

Also you can just sell the Tech Centers as you capture them without failing the mission if you don't need them (and you kinda don't since Destroyers are more reliable than Cruisers as was made evident by that mishap at the end), they eat a lot of power and extra money never hurts. Well, that's only really relevant to the first one to the southwest of course.

The power plant in your base was almost destroyed towards the end because there's an off-map Longbow attack from the northwest. For me they just blew up a Flamethrower and left, never to return.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

UED Special Ops posted:

Hey now, the mystery adviser is nothing like Stavros! He has at least double the number of emotions, and seems to actually be doing something in cutscenes besides sitting around gazing at a wall or stomping off in a rage.

Stavros seemed pretty happy to bury Stalin alive!

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Stavros seemed pretty happy to bury Stalin alive!

True, so probably should have rephrased that to mission briefing cutscenes instead. Shame really that takes until the final 2 minutes of the Allied campaign for Stavros to finally become a character, heck, before that the TD A-10 commander had more personality.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

Chronische posted:

You say that, but Einstein was a pacifist too, yet despite that he's helped invent a technology that has unsurpassed military application!

In the real world, Einstein wasn't allowed on the Manhatten project exactly *because* he was a pacifist, assuming he wanted to work on it at all, which he probably didn't. It's not really his fault other people pushed his ideas from "clean energy for the indefinite future" to "we can murder the entire drat planet with a massive bomb."

In Red Alert, Einstein's probably given up pacifism since he's quite literally the one responsible for this war in the first place, so pacifism on his part would be laughable hypocrisy.

UED Special Ops posted:

Glad to see that Stalin doesn't seem to care or even notice that Gradenko is dead, although I do wonder what that mysterious bald adviser guy said to Stalin, seemed to really mellow him out after Stalin was throwing a temper tantrum over the Chronosphere. Oh, and I love the subtle glance Kukov throws at Stalin when the player character is promoted to general, another one of those blink and you miss it moments that have been scattered throughout the Soviet campaign briefings.

The fact that Bald Man talks to Stalin, Stalin looks at the player, and then Bald Man looks at player right after as he leaves kinda implies that he's telling Stalin "Promote Player McPlayerface to General, and he'll get it for you guaranteed."

Personally, I really like how Bald Man watches the video to the very end: you can almost hear the gears turning in his head.

anilEhilated posted:

The line about "rightfully ours" is interesting; I don't remember if it will have plot relevance later on, but right now it feels like it's Stalin buying into his own propaganda; the thing is basically a nationalist catchphrase.

Its rightfully ours because the USSR kidnapped Einstein! The Allies should respect the ancient Russian Georgian tradition of permanently owning the people you kidnap once :v:.

thetruegentleman fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Mar 6, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

anilEhilated posted:

The whole world and it's technologies rightfully belong to the soviet people. Anyone who says otherwise probably got an autograph from gradenko.