Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Criminalizing the unsolicited dick pic. Seems like a loophole where you can send limp dick pics tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

zoux posted:

Criminalizing the unsolicited dick pic. Seems like a loophole where you can send limp dick pics tho.

this makes it unlawful for discrimination against growers

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Is this gonna get struck down due to 1st amendment?

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Wasn't expecting that to be filed by a white republican male from Dallas.

Seems ... weird, but maybe okay? I'd kind of lean on "this is something it seems a bit weird to legislate" but I'm not the target of that sort of thing so ...

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/edwonkkimmy/status/1102648979588870146

Uh is there another relevant thing known as TRE because the only one I know about is tax ratification elections

e: lol

zoux fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Mar 4, 2019

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

No Safe Word posted:

Wasn't expecting that to be filed by a white republican male from Dallas.

Seems ... weird, but maybe okay? I'd kind of lean on "this is something it seems a bit weird to legislate" but I'm not the target of that sort of thing so ...

I'm gonna guess that a bunch of legislators have daughters that all have horror stories of unsolicited dick pics.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

zoux posted:

e: lol

stephen root noooooooooooo

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

https://siteselection.com/issues/2019/mar/the-2018-governors-cups-making-it-look-easy-cover.cfm

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/Forrest4Trees/status/1102666198691577857

Good lord

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
i'd like to see a list of most obscure college towns like stephenville and commerce

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
reppin' Bridgewater MA 4 lyfe

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

i'd like to see a list of most obscure college towns like stephenville and commerce

Nacogdoches

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Y'all got trolled by that troll map pretty easy. Shameful

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

Kerrville

TropicalCoke
Feb 14, 2012
Alpine

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Lol

quote:

According to the summary, the bill would increase the base funding per student by $890 to $6,030 — the first time that allotment has been raised in four years. It would also lower school district property tax rates statewide by 4 cents per $100 of taxable property value, helping to reduce so-called Robin Hood payments that redistribute money from wealthier districts to poorer ones. The compression could save the owner of a home with $250,000 in taxable value about $100 annually in school district taxes.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

Alpine is pretty neat.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/PatrickSvitek/status/1102756671783358466

Uh is the DNCC going to nuke Texas

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

BLUE TEXAS! BLUE TEXAS! i continue to insist as i slowly shrink and transform into a corncob

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

My god the property tax relief!!!

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

not enough flags

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
Taxes here have about doubled in just a few years. Can we just throw the rich people in the loving woodchipper until money starts coming out instead of loving with normal people that would be dope.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Badger of Basra posted:

I guess we'll find out tomorrow but that amount of relief is probably gonna cost like a billion dollars lol

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Badger of Basra posted:

$100 on a $6000 bill for a $250k house.

Glad we can pass another handout for the wealthy at the expense of our children.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

would a state capital gains tax or wealth tax get around the income tax ban?

...or does that need a simple majority to be repealed anyway?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

We could either amend the constitution to repeal the Bullock rule OR pass an income tax with a simple majority of voters.

My opinion is that both of those taxes would be prohibited by the constitution, but if we're at the point where the Legislature is passing one of those we're so far from where we are now that Texas would be heavily Democratic anyway.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

Sab0921 posted:

$100 on a $6000 bill for a $250k house.

Glad we can pass another handout for the wealthy at the expense of our children.

Can someone explain to me school funding for Texas being a new resident? I noticed the high school up the street is.. um pretty well funded to the point of absurdity. Or any links?

When I went to band in school in Canada.. we had pretty jank equipment and we [my parents] were responsible for transporting us to events and such.

The school up the street got a semi truck with a 53 foot drop frame air ride electronics van complete with custom vinyl wrap around graphics to tote around the bands equipment. That's a pretty expensive combination.

Does that come out of the general education fund? If so.. yikes.. or does it get sourced through fundraisers and donations?

My big issue with education funding is peoples little pet projects getting out of control and you end up spending money on "stupid poo poo" vs having proper books and supplies in a classroom.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

1% of local taxable property value goes towards schools. The amount of money a school is entitled to is a factor of its student population, weighted for different student needs, multiplied by a variable that is meant to account for regional differences in student populations and need. Consider that entitlement as a bucket. First, they pour in local property tax revenue. If it's below the entitlement, then the state makes up the difference with general revenue. If it's above that entitlement, then the extra money goes back to the state for redistribution to the poorer districts. (this is recapture, or Robin Hood)

Then you have the local enrichment tier, which is where you see the disparities kick in. Local BoEs are permitted to hike taxes $.04 by fiat, and can go all the way up to $.17 with voter approval. The first six cents are called "golden pennies" because they aren't subject to recapture. So however much those six pennies make stays in the district. There's also a guaranteed yield, pegged to AISD yield. So if your local district earns $50 per penny per student, and AISD earns $100 per penny per student, then the state makes up the difference to get you to $100. The remaining 12 cents are called "copper pennies" because they are subject to recapture.

https://www.equitycenter.org/ is an excellent resource for school finance stuff. And a powerpoint from CPPP that goes into greater detail.

Incidentally the House school finance plan, according to "leaked" details, would delink the guaranteed yield from AISD because Austin has the fastest property value growth in the state and the guaranteed yield for 2021 is like $130 bucks, when in FY '15 it was $61. They also want to bump the basic allotment, which is the primary formula variable, up by $890 to just over 6k.

zoux fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Mar 5, 2019

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
It's election day! HD 145 runoff to replace Carol Alvardo who won the SD6 seat to replace Sylvia Garcia who won a congressional seat because Gene Green retired and she's obscenely selfish and refused to resign to allow a November election for her seat.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Sab0921 posted:

she's obscenely selfish and refused to resign to allow a November election for her seat.

Well, no.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

She sent a letter saying she intends to resign in November which opened the door to Greg Abbot fuckery.

If she just resigned, no gimmicks or word play - this wouldn't have happened. She was afraid of losing the congressional election like she lost the 2010 county commissioner's election and then being left without a seat (the horror of not being an elected official)

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

She submitted basically the same letter Leticia Van de Putte did, and LVP's election was in November.

Don't think she was terribly worried about losing HD 29.

Anyway I hope that Garcia's avarice doesn't cost the democrats this seat

----------------------

E: how much is that $100 in meaningful tax savings gonna cost? $2.7 billion.

https://twitter.com/rebekahallen/status/1102972925865615367

Here's a fancy-rear end multi media website about it
https://www.thetexasplan.com/

zoux fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Mar 5, 2019

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Yeah, I don't need a property tax break. My overall tax liability here in TX is a joke as it is compared to other states. How about we just get the schools more money and they can keep my 120 bucks or whatever.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Big K of Justice posted:

Can someone explain to me school funding for Texas being a new resident? I noticed the high school up the street is.. um pretty well funded to the point of absurdity. Or any links?

When I went to band in school in Canada.. we had pretty jank equipment and we [my parents] were responsible for transporting us to events and such.

The school up the street got a semi truck with a 53 foot drop frame air ride electronics van complete with custom vinyl wrap around graphics to tote around the bands equipment. That's a pretty expensive combination.

Does that come out of the general education fund? If so.. yikes.. or does it get sourced through fundraisers and donations?

My big issue with education funding is peoples little pet projects getting out of control and you end up spending money on "stupid poo poo" vs having proper books and supplies in a classroom.

Your example is most likely from Band boosters. So no not from a general fund and yes from fundraising by the band and generous donors

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

DangerZoneDelux posted:

Your example is most likely from Band boosters. So no not from a general fund and yes from fundraising by the band and generous donors

Are these rich dudes shelling out hundreds of thousands of dollars to buy touring buses or what? What does a band booster do

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Raise money and fill seats at events, short answer.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

zoux posted:

Are these rich dudes shelling out hundreds of thousands of dollars to buy touring buses or what? What does a band booster do

yes.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Texas schools (prolly American schools in general but I only know Texas) place a greater value and prestige on the school's extracurricular programs than its academics so yeah, if your school's families have the money to throw around then whoooo boy. When he graduates, little Johnny will think the Civil War was about states' rights but he'll have had the shiniest trumpet for all four years of band.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I get it for football but....band?

https://twitter.com/Forrest4Trees/status/1103141156970512392

Yeah it's a blood bath in the states that have legalized recreational use. Real Mad Max poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

zoux posted:

She submitted basically the same letter Leticia Van de Putte did, and LVP's election was in November.

Don't think she was terribly worried about losing HD 29.

Anyway I hope that Garcia's avarice doesn't cost the democrats this seat

----------------------

E: how much is that $100 in meaningful tax savings gonna cost? $2.7 billion.

https://twitter.com/rebekahallen/status/1102972925865615367

Here's a fancy-rear end multi media website about it
https://www.thetexasplan.com/

I disagree - she submitted the same letter, but it was vague and left room for interpretation which is exactly what Abbott did when he refused to hold the election based on her letter. The reason she didn't want to resign outright (who cares if the seat is vacant from July-Nov in a non-session year) was because she did not want to be without a seat if she lost (however unlikely that may have been). She was in a safe County Commissioner's seat in 2010 and ended up losing because of the Tea Party wave and her lack of trying - it has colored her experience so she wanted to make sure she still had a seat in case the improbable happened.

The Democrats will hold the seat, but neither Noriega or Morales was particularly impressive - maybe we have better candidates if the HD 145 is held in November (I'm assuming in this scenario that Alvarado gives up her seat to run for SD6, also in November).