Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Soothing Vapors posted:

ban brad from tournaments pls

He’s already won so many, what’s one more?

Continuing his unbroken win streak against humans again, I guess. Congrats to him and his team.

Zero One posted:

They should have done a 3 day finals where everyone had to play each round at least once.
This I would’ve definitely watched. Still, max games Jeopardy has done is 2 game matches, and I didn’t see them breaking that pattern even for this tournament though it probably would’ve made some of the earlier episodes easier to watch wrt the format and complaints about too many commercial breaks (even if there weren’t, it still felt like it was).

Final was relatively easy for me, though I didn’t figure out the Jeopardy season connection until Alex mentioned it. I needed a bit to remember it was the 21st Amendment that repealed the 18th for Prohibition, but once I got that, the answer was simple math lol. Should’ve come up with it immediately because of the 35th season thing, but that didn’t occur to me until after Alex mentioned the connection. Nice Les Mis reference by Colby, since his team was so far down it wouldn’t have mattered anyway.

Man, watching this tournament only reminded me of how dominant Larissa and Dave Madden could be, wow. I really slept on Brad picking the two of them for the flashier big names like Matt and Alex, and man, he proved me wrong there.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Mar 7, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

The Sean posted:

My partner and I randomly found Jeopardy on Hulu back in November and it reignited our interest in the show and we've been watching every new episode since. I used to watch as a kid and didn't get any of the answers, of course. It's really refreshing to be able to answer them now as an adult, though (outside of the tournament of champions, of course).

This is the first I've looked at the thread here, though, and I noticed the "how to get on jeopardy" link in the OP broken. Here's an updated one: https://www.jeopardy.com/be-on-j.

edit: speaking of, are there any training resources around? I know there are categories I don't know poo poo about, like opera and musicals, that I could just scan Wikipedia for basic details but there've got to be easier ways to cram for this knowledge. I know there's j-archive but it doesn't seem to be designed specifically for training.

Here’s my input: my wife got the call, and she can have some anxiety issues, so other than watching current and old jeopardy episodes, beer trivia, and doing some minor US presidents and state studies, she didn’t practice a lot from my vantage point.

My vantage point is also that she had also been practicing for 10+ years, between jeopardy, trivia nights for years, and crosswords. So it’s something where “we’ll, at this point either you know it, or you won’t learn it in 3 weeks.”

So we just took super chill, light practicing like I mentioned, and kept her loose. So when it came down to it, it’s just “hey go and have fun,” and I think that really helped.

Edit: fun fact: my wife’s final jeopardy question was on the Cold War (history is a weaker look t for her, and the answer was the Berlin Air Raid, so she missed it). We went to a drat Cold War Museum the day before her taping, and they had nothing on it. So I blame them (the other guy knew it so she wouldn’t have won anyway).

https://www.wendemuseum.org/

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Mar 6, 2019

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

GhostStalker posted:

Man, watching this tournament only reminded me of how dominant Larissa and Dave Madden could be, wow. I really slept on Brad picking the two of them for the flashier big names like Matt and Alex, and man, he proved me wrong there.

Weren't they both gone by the time Brad got there? Brad had the 6/7 picks.

I got final today but with the wrong math. Good thing the constitution is on my list of things to study!

Drone Jett
Feb 21, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
College Slice

Duckman2008 posted:

Edit: fun fact: my wife’s final jeopardy question was on the Cold War (history is a weaker look t for her, and the answer was the Berlin Air Raid, so she missed it). We went to a drat Cold War Museum the day before her taping, and they had nothing on it. So I blame them (the other guy knew it so she wouldn’t have won anyway).

I think zero museums have anything on a Berlin air raid during the Cold War. Not surprising to miss a question on something that didn’t happen.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Duckman2008 posted:

https://www.wendemuseum.org/

Berlin Air Lift, I believe.

Poque posted:

Weren't they both gone by the time Brad got there? Brad had the 6/7 picks.

Yeah, probably. Larissa and Madden falling to 6th or 7th was the real crime, IMO. Probably due to a lot of recentism on the part of the captains. A lot of the Jeopardy commentariat thought the same after Larissa’s first appearance this tournament.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
GOD DUCKMAN YOU CAN'T ACCIDENTALLY TYPE THE WRONG WORD IN THE JEOPARDY THREAD JESUS GET IT TOGETHER

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

HookShot posted:

GOD DUCKMAN YOU CAN'T ACCIDENTALLY TYPE THE WRONG WORD IN THE JEOPARDY THREAD JESUS GET IT TOGETHER

Lmao. Likely why I wasn’t the one actually on jeopardy. Although, when you think about it, the Soviet Union probably considered it an air raid, so I may have accidentally been right.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Duckman2008 posted:

Lmao. Likely why I wasn’t the one actually on jeopardy. Although, when you think about it, the Soviet Union probably considered it an air raid, so I may have accidentally been right.

*wonders hopefully if at some point Trump has accidentally referred to the Department of Ways and Means*

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cInGyxCY9k

Alex nooooo :smith:

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

gently caress

Pancreatic's one of the worst ones, isn't it? And stage 4 too... :smith: Best of luck, Trebek.

El Jeffe fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Mar 6, 2019

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004
:negative: Nooooo... all the speculation about who should host next was just a joke, we didn't mean it.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
maybe the tournament was a willy wonka situation, just in case.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

gently caress

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Poor Alex :smith:

The man is a pillar of television, this is awful news.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

It seems quintessential that he cracks a great joke in this and doesn't seem down at all, but I'm barely holding it together right now at work, this loving sucks.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
:cry:

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up
Ugh, that's awful. Here's hoping for a miracle for him.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

I've used the old Final Jeopardy reveal sound as my text message notification for over 10 years, it's going to be emotional when I get messages for the next couple of days...

gently caress cancer.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Dammit. I'm glad he's optimistic but really, there's almost no chance.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Ugh, that's heartbreaking. Sorry Alex :(

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Yeah I just heard the news. Pancreatic is one of the worst of all the cancers.

His chances aren't good. :(

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
That is loving awful.

Doesn't stage 4 mean by definition the cancer has spread to other parts of the body, too?

HookShot fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Mar 7, 2019

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

HookShot posted:

That is loving awful.

Doesn't stage 4 mean by definition the cancer has spread to other parts of the body, too?

yes. gently caress cancer.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

HookShot posted:

That is loving awful.

Yeah.

Pancreatic has one of the lowest survival rates to begin with, and the fact that it's stage 4..... yeah.

He's staying strong, but I don't think I would be.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Yeah, 78 is a good innings and all, but a diagnosis like that and I'd be all over the place patting all the dogs I could while I still had time.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

HookShot posted:

Yeah, 78 is a good innings and all, but a diagnosis like that and I'd be all over the place patting all the dogs I could while I still had time.

One could argue that's why he's still doing Jeopardy

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
God loving dammit. Just awful news. Don't know what else to say.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Again with the saber tooth tiger :argh:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Also, that FJ question was too obvious FFS

MD2020
May 30, 2003

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Iron Crowned posted:

I wonder if the players thought it was too obvious and they overthought their answers.

And in regard to the " 'My' Music" category, if they missed the Toni Braxton clue, there was like zero chance they would get the Weeknd.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Iron Crowned posted:

I went with backfire unfortunately.

Also, man; I’m pretty big on the gently caress cancer bandwagon right now; my uncle died of pancreatic cancer a decade ago, my grandfather had lung cancer that spread to his brain a decade and a half ago, and just recently, my great aunt (who was the first on my father’s side to come to the US and then sponsored over the rest of the family) passed from brain cancer at the end of last year... So really, this is hitting me harder than I thought it would. I really want Alex to survive until his retirement as his contract ends in 3 years, but I know it’s not likely...

The FB group is blowing up about this now, trying to figure out what we can do for him, like the video we sent a couple years back after his surgery for the hematoma. A lot of reminiscing too.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Mar 7, 2019

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

GhostStalker posted:

I went with backfire unfortunately.

Also, man; I’m pretty big on the gently caress cancer bandwagon right now; my uncle died of pancreatic cancer a decade ago, my grandfather had lung cancer that spread to his brain, and just recently, my great aunt (who was the first on my father’s side to come to the US and then sponsored over the rest of the family) passed from brain cancer at the end of last year... So really, this is hitting me harder than I thought it would. I really want Alex to survive until his retirement as his contract ends in 3 years, but I know it’s not likely...

The FB group is blowing up about this now, trying to figure out what we can do for him, like the video we sent a couple years back after his surgery for the hematoma. A lot of reminiscing too.

drat, sorry dude :(

(I also went with backfire)

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
My uncle has pancreatic cancer now but he's extremely lucky that he caught it early (being a doctor helps) and it's the type that doesn't kill you stone dead in weeks.

I wish that Alex will recover like that if his immortality via Colbert was true but all I can think of is that he doesn't suffer when he gets his final clue.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
My wife got final, I did not.

We both are :negative: to today’s announcement. Just loving sucks.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

gently caress cancer. This sucks :(

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
This sucks. And I was just thinking this morning what Jeopardy would be like without Johnny Gilbert. Here's hoping he finds the best oncologist money can buy in Los Angeles.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I hope this doesn't come across as flippant, but: I do find it truly inspiring that where most people see a foregone conclusion, Alex Trebek insists that his cancer must be in the form of a question.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
"This is the percentage to which stage four pancreatic cancer patients might imagine their survivability."

Yeah no.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

MorgaineDax posted:

:negative: Nooooo... all the speculation about who should host next was just a joke, we didn't mean it.

I did it. I applied for the online test for the first time and the news comes out the next day.

In all seriousness, "Alex's Bucket List" was a category very recently.

$200
A: "Both the remoteness--2,200 miles west of Chile--& the mysterious Moai statues put this island on my bucket list"
Q: What is Easter Island?

$400
A: "Having been to every continent except this one, the smallest, puts it on the list"
Q: What is Australia?

$600 - n/a

$800
A: "I want to make a pilgrimage to the Potala Palace, once the main residence of the Dalai Lama, in this city 12,000 feet up"
Q: What is Lhasa?

$1000
A: "I've seen Niagara & Victoria, but need to head to the Brazil-Argentina border where these falls divided into 275 cataracts"
Q: What is Iguazu Falls?

The Sean fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Mar 7, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Cripes. I never realized that, erm, the $200 question was that far away from the coast.