Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Footage of an unreleased WCW game popped up today. That would be interesting enough on its own, but take a look at the name:

https://twitter.com/WCWWorldwide/status/1103123364795822080

Universal Wrestling Corporation was the name the Turner owned company was originally given (and then used as the holding company that dealt with WCW's liabilities following the sale to WWE.) The use of UWC might indicate the name was supposed to stick, or was a placeholder, or that no one in the company knew what was going on and hosed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

I'm amazed and baffled and various bits. You can pin down to within almost a few weeks of when the game was developed because how specific it is.

Universal Wrestling Corporation was not a name used much publicly. Out of curiosity, I'm looking at news archives and there seems to be exactly one Associated Press article mentioning it and it didn't get wide distribution. The name of course was an umbrella for the Crockett-Turner merger that started in October 1988. The one AP story came out in November. The WCW name was adopted very quickly, so why not use it?

What is Jimmy Garvin doing in here? He wasn't even in WCW at the time of the UWC name. He hadn't been in the company since the end of the Bash tour and didn't return until mid-1989. Eddie Gilbert is oddly specific, too. Gilbert was hugely promoted up the roster in late November 1988 after everybody else left. He was a major name for WCW for a few months, but why he and Garvin over Lex Luger?

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Mr. Carlisle posted:

WCW wasted so much money but even if it was just the millionth Hogan squashing someone match they made it feel like a big deal and I respect that

im getting (really really) into osw reviews, and pre-nwo wcw is the best era of bad wrestling to watch, and it is simply astounding that they paid michael buffer so much to do announcing jobs in front of crowds of, like, 6,500, and he never, ever, ever learns anything about the product, the wrestlers, or even the basic rules and concepts of professional wrestling over the entire run.

it was pretty incredibly bad and dumb but yeah dude in the 90s hearing that dude yell "lllllets get ready to ruuumbllleeeeee" was like moths to a flame. just an all-time great catchphrase. it lasted so long he got TWO pretty good dreamcast games.

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

shiksa posted:

im getting (really really) into osw reviews, and pre-nwo wcw is the best era of bad wrestling to watch, and it is simply astounding that they paid michael buffer so much to do announcing jobs in front of crowds of, like, 6,500, and he never, ever, ever learns anything about the product, the wrestlers, or even the basic rules and concepts of professional wrestling over the entire run.

it was pretty incredibly bad and dumb but yeah dude in the 90s hearing that dude yell "lllllets get ready to ruuumbllleeeeee" was like moths to a flame. just an all-time great catchphrase. it lasted so long he got TWO pretty good dreamcast games.

I first heard of him from the boxing games, then I was surprised as hell that he was in WCW. It was a nice idea having him in but I'd have only had him for a couple of PPVs to give it a bit of an aura.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Even better, he was the final boss in one of those games. "Buffer is no more. Just me, Rumblemaaaaaaaaaaaan!"

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

His description of Goldberg’s Jackhammer is a thing to behold

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
Apparently that game also had Michael Jackson, Shaq, and both Bill and Hillary Clinton as boxers

That was a trend I guess in the 90s, I remember Bill and Hillary being in NBA Jam as well

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

pathetic little tramp posted:

Apparently that game also had Michael Jackson, Shaq, and both Bill and Hillary Clinton as boxers

That was a trend I guess in the 90s, I remember Bill and Hillary being in NBA Jam as well

MJ’s appearance in that necessitated mocap data. I have seen it applied to other models (for other games), and it’s way good.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The gameplay in UWC looks A LOT like the first WWF Superstars game for Gameboy

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
“Don’t miss an opportunity to meet Ric Flair at Payless Drugs”

Watching the Steiners vs the Horsemen while having dinner. It’s still not easy to watch Benoit knowing what he did, but if I can detach from that for a moment holy poo poo his stuff looked amazing. Everything he did looked so believable and snug.

In no way excusing anything he did, it’s just jarring to see the quality of his work vs someone like his tag-team partner Mongo, or most of the modern day WWE roster.

Fake Edit: Oh god Kevin Sullivan just hit Benoit with an unprotected chair shot to the head with a wooden folding chair. I feel sick now.

purkey
Dec 5, 2003

I hate the 90s

Yeah, that sounds like watching a Benoit match :/

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
benoit was insanely good. i didnt grow up watching bret so when i thought "technical wrestler" i thought benoit. well, until, obviously

he also always got his loving head pounded in as much as possible and its pretty nausea inducing to watch now, of course.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
I'm just so used to the sloppy bullshit WWE puts on nowadays that seeing Benoit chopping the gently caress out of Rick Steiner blew my mind.

Sonny Onoo was a really fun manager in 1997. :3:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Yeah, there's always an uneasy undercurrent to watching Benoit matches now, but there's no denying the guy was just incredible in the ring.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah, there's always an uneasy undercurrent to watching Benoit matches now, but there's no denying the guy was just incredible in the ring.

That's a definite understatement, on both counts. I used to watch him do the diving headbutt and writhe around on the mat afterwards and convince myself he was just selling. Now... :smith:

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

there was one time that benoit did a dive to the outside and someone did a full on, gently caress you baseball swing of a chair to his head. the wwf was... pretty fuckin bad for awhile on that front.

(granted a career of diving headbutts definitely has its share, but jesus)

shiksa fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Mar 7, 2019

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I'm pretty sure it was Jericho who did that to him :gonk:

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

shiksa posted:

there was one time that benoit did a dive to the outside and someone did a full on, gently caress you baseball swing of a chair to his head. the wwf was... pretty fuckin bad for awhile on that front.

(granted a career of diving headbutts definitely has its share, but jesus)

Jerusalem posted:

I'm pretty sure it was Jericho who did that to him :gonk:

Yep, Royal Rumble 2001, I thought it was the most awesome thing ever back then. Still kinda do but I wish I didn't. It's just incredibly memorable.

And of course it was just an all-around great match.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

NikkolasKing posted:

Yep, Royal Rumble 2001, I thought it was the most awesome thing ever back then. Still kinda do but I wish I didn't. It's just incredibly memorable.

And of course it was just an all-around great match.

Oh poo poo that ladder match. :stare: I remember being blown away by that match as the best ladder match I'd ever seen. Instead of doing lots of flippy nonsense the two of them put on a hell of a match using the ladder as a brutal vicious weapon.

In less memorable match news, just finished watching Dennis Rodman and Hulk Hogan vs The Giant and Lex Luger at Bash at the Beach 1997. That sure was a match I just watched.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

On the After 83 Weeks podcast Bischoff talked about #paying Rodman

quote:

The total fee was just a little over $1 million, like a million and change. But that was for a number of different appearances. It wasn’t just for one appearance. I know that sounds like a ton of money, and it is a ton of money…But in the big scheme of things you know, Mike Tyson probably got three times that much. Other performers in WWF get much, much bigger numbers. And I knew, the math I did going into that negotiation, as I said a few minutes ago I had a number in my head, because in my mind getting Dennis Rodman would create a certain amount of buzz that if I had to pay for would probably cost me three times that much money…The press that I knew I would get from that I really wouldn’t even be able to buy.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Chris James 2 posted:

they paid him 1 million dollars for the poop feud

that's not even touching 97 or 98.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Chris James 2 posted:

I assume he is talking about the 97 appearances and not 98 because 98 came out in a lawsuit and it's more.

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh

NikkolasKing posted:

Benoit/Finlay at Slamboree 1998. Chris Benoit takes the kind of neck damage in that match that would paralyze a normal human.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Somehow the Jericho thing is even worse since in hindsight, I think Benoit kind of bats the chair away with his arms...then full on smooshes his head on the guardrail regardless

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Yeah the actual chairshot is one of the more protected ones he ever took, it’s the landing that really sucked

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Chris Benoit should have probably protected his head a bit more.

More controversial opinions from your maverick gonzo to come soon.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

It’s hosed up. He spends his whole life taking unprotected shots to the head, and what does he get in return? Murdered by his friend Kevin Sullivan. It’s disgusting

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

NienNunb posted:

It’s hosed up. He spends his whole life taking unprotected shots to the head, and what does he get in return? Murdered by his friend Kevin Sullivan. It’s disgusting

Was it murder or was it Benoit willingly dying so he can protect the business

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

DeathChicken posted:

Somehow the Jericho thing is even worse since in hindsight, I think Benoit kind of bats the chair away with his arms...then full on smooshes his head on the guardrail regardless

I've watched this for like two solid minutes, but to me it looks like he lands just short of the guardrail and his shoulder takes the brunt of the fall on the floor. I could be wrong, however.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Your Taint posted:

I've watched this for like two solid minutes, but to me it looks like he lands just short of the guardrail and his shoulder takes the brunt of the fall on the floor. I could be wrong, however.

Top of his head rams the guardrail

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
The Total Package Lex Loser

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Your Taint posted:

You're right

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

BGrifter posted:

“Don’t miss an opportunity to meet Ric Flair at Payless Drugs”
Extremely on-brand for WCW.

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
How often did wcw end Saturday night before the match ended? I was watching a fun Vader/Austin vs flair/Anderson match from 1993 in the Vader collection.

It went about 30 minutes and they ran out of time and told to watch the Sunday night show to know how it ended. Did they every show the end of those matches? Or just tell you who won? It’s too bad they didn’t edit the end on the network version of it.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_ZkqfSpbg4

Just recently discovered this video covering the details on Collision In Korea including Scott Norton being interrogated by North Korean officials and more. It's pretty amazing if you've never seen it.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Mr. Carlisle posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_ZkqfSpbg4

Just recently discovered this video covering the details on Collision In Korea including Scott Norton being interrogated by North Korean officials and more. It's pretty amazing if you've never seen it.

Thanks for this.

The idea of interrogating Scott Norton amuses me. Dude's the white Meng.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Sports Illustrated ran a good oral history of the event in 2015. Norton's among the interviewees. They even talk to CNN guys who traveled with them.

quote:

Bischoff: I didn’t think too much about it. I didn’t ask permission. I didn’t ask anybody in Turner Broadcasting before I left. I had friends that worked at CNN in the news division. I thought, I’m just gonna pick a couple brains to make sure I won’t end up in jail. I asked them, flat-out: ‘What will happen if I go over there without permission from the government and bring 15 very high-profile celebrities with me?’ They said, ‘Ah, the State Department may detain you, they may make you sit in a room and make you answer a bunch of questions, they may make your life uncomfortable or miserable kind of as a slap on the wrist for doing something you shouldn’t have done. But they’re not gonna put you in jail.’ I said, ‘Great. If I’m not going to jail, I’m on a plane.’

quote:

Scorpio: We was having a whole lot of birds for dinner. When we got to the hotel, it was full of pigeons. As time went on, pigeons started to disappear. That’s all I’m saying.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

That is a legit fantastic read

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Kim Justice did a great video on this that got pulled of Youtube thanks to WWE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Kim Justice did a great video on this that got pulled of Youtube thanks to WWE

The video is up elsewhere, fortunately: http://www.retrounlim.com/2018/07/09/wcw-njpw-collision-in-north-korea-biggest-wrestling-show-of-all-time/