Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

spwrozek posted:

I realllllllllllllllllly hope you are not serious.

See this? This is my serious typeface.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

Midjack posted:

See this? This is my serious typeface.

:chloe:

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

r/Treelaw: Boy's invasive species of frog destroys 147 million hectares of native forest in my country - my lawyer says I am owed $4.7 quintillion dollars

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
R/legaladvice: Is it legal to resell sugar salvaged from a public roadway?

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

You can take this thread to the bank. The money bank.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Midjack posted:

Does Australia not warn you that you’re about to accept a collect call?

That's not how this scam works.

There are high rate call prefixes. They are usually scammers, etc that are big enough to have their own rate center. Most carrier block these calls by default if they are especially egregious, but not all.

Telecom is a really weird business. Ever wonder why things like eFax were free? Or lots of other VoIP numbers? It's because they need to drive traffic to their numbers because they are the underlying operator (or are getting a cut) on high rate center calls. Some do it in bulk by simply charging 2 to 5x as much for settlement between the carriers. Some gouge way more.

Your particular carrier just might not consider one of those rate centers to be part of your "free calling" or whatever beyond a certain point, but they have 't met the regulatory threshold for "1-900" type calls.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Mar 6, 2019

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I thought Australia used the "Dollarydoo"?

It's "Buckaroos."

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
No, you’re wrong. Buckaroos are cowboys. Dolleydoos are Australian currency.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Murderball posted:

You can take this thread to the bank. The money bank.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Jji78uEW14

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

gently caress, I came here to post that, because Hard to Kill is amazing. Glad I scrolled all the way to the bottom, Senator Trent.

The blood bottom.

gizmojumpjet
Feb 21, 2006

Fill your bowl to the brim and it will spill. Keep sharpening your knife and it will blunt.
Grimey Drawer

Frank Dillinger posted:

No, you’re wrong. Buckaroos are cowboys. Dolleydoos are Australian currency.

It's dollarydoos but yeah.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Simpsons Reference posted:

I live in Australia and got a collect call from the International Drainage Commission in the states. It cost me nine hundred dollars.

I really wish you had to pay :10bux: to make that joke.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

"buckaroo" is an anglicized bastardization of vaquero, the spanish tradition of horseback livestock herding techniques. those techniques came to mesoamerica and mexico via spanish colonialism, and mexican horsemen and rancheros were the earliest cowboys in california :)

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

BonerGhost posted:

isnt that the usual cost of a namechange

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

All this talk about Tree Law being fake has got me worried about the Tree That Owns Itself. I'm not looking any further into that one, because I must believe.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

I live in Australia and got a collect call from the International Drainage Commission in the states. It cost me nine hundred dollars.

That's a bloody outrage, that is!

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

"buckaroo" is an anglicized bastardization of vaquero, the spanish tradition of horseback livestock herding techniques. those techniques came to mesoamerica and mexico via spanish colonialism, and mexican horsemen and rancheros were the earliest cowboys in california :)

This is super sweet; I'm tossing this onto the trivia pile in my head. Thanks!

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

BonerGhost posted:

I will make a donation in your name to the Human Fund.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

You should, it's money for people!

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Huh. Human fund.

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

You dismally untalented little creep!

Holy poo poo!

I hope every other room in their house still looks mundane as gently caress and it becomes known as the regular house with the one cursed bathroom.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

TVsVeryOwn posted:

All this talk about Tree Law being fake has got me worried about the Tree That Owns Itself. I'm not looking any further into that one, because I must believe.

The tree is on public right-of-way and is managed by the city. It doesn't have its own plot on qpublic or anything.

We'd murder the commissioners if they ever let anything happen to it though.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

I think you'll find the current tree is the Son of The Tree That Owns Itself.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

For a small fee, I will mail you some of its acorns so that you too can raise a tree with legal personhood.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
As a flesh and blood sovereign citizen, I am under no contract. You have instead contracted with my treeman

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

For a small fee, I will mail you some of its acorns so that you too can raise a tree with legal personhood.

A treeman on the land.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
When you think about it, Weeping Willow trees are covered in fringe. The Admiralty of the Forest.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

But what of maritime tree law?

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:
At what height does a tree fall under bird law?

Or is it a matter of bird population density?

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

The distinctions between plant, wildlife, and bird law are pretty interesting and largely based on how well/far the organism can move. You own a tree if it's on your land. You only have certain rights to an animal if it's on your land. Birds are literally governed by an international treaty because they frequently cross national borders.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

what if the bird is nesting in my tree

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Leperflesh posted:

what if the bird is nesting in my tree
That bird has tenant rights and you are the tree is a de facto landlord.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

It's true though if an RCW nests in your tree your pine plantation is hosed.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

no I mean, if tree law says that someone hacking down my tree means I get triple damages etc., but there is a bird nesting in that tree, do I get damages for loss-of-bird, or does the bird get damages based on its status, or is it piracy of some kind for stealing the bird's property in international waters airspace?

also what if the bird made its nest out of materials stolen from the property of the neighbor who cut down my tree that had the bird's nest in it

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

You are not entitled to loss-of-bird damages, but the bird suitability of the tree would be calculated into the tree's value. The person who cut down the tree may be liable for violating the migratory bird treaty act or ESA.

The bird cannot be prosecuted for stealing nesting materials.

IANAL

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
This mashing up of sitcom references is making me thirsty.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Did you know if a tree is on the property line and part of it resides in each property, neither party can cut the tree down without permission from the other?

Kallis v. Sonnes

Crazy thing is the tree likely started off on just one property, but then grew and ended up on the other property too.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
What about the sovereignty of anchor eggs?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Does tree law contemplate the taxonomic ambiguity of the word "tree"? E.g, there are plants that are colloquially called "trees" but which are taxonomically not considered trees, and vice-versa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Defeated in Diplomacy under suspicious circumstances
The Supreme Court once had to look at a similar case where there was a tariff in place on vegetables, but not fruit, and they decided that a tomato was legally a vegetable because it is commonly considered to be one, even though scientifically speaking it is a fruit:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nix_v._Hedden