Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

esperterra posted:

a lot of things might have lmao

What would've really been different? Rob still won in the Riverlands, even with less troops, and still got owned because he broke his betrothal.

Actually though when you think about it, it kind of doesn't make sense how Tywin acts. How does he know that the Vales forces won't emerge at any time and catch him between the proverbial hammer and the anvil? Kind of doesn't make sense that he goes to Harrenhall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
They maybe could have kept Tyrion being kidnapped quiet until someone sane told them this is a bad idea with such flimsy evidence against him

And she also probably wouldn't have done the killing/letter stuff that's the actual "start" of the troubles.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
if lysa wasnt insane she probably wouldnt have killed jon arryn so she could marry petyr

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

violent sex idiot posted:

if lysa wasnt insane she probably wouldnt have killed jon arryn so she could marry petyr

yeah but catelyn had no way of knowing that + the rebellion was pretty strong as it was, another major house to top it might have kept even the most diseased fuckers in line for the finish - if you can just chase frey out of his castle from either side there's much less reason to commit to the marriage pact in the first place

basically catelyn overreacts somewhat in nabbing tyrion, but it's not the completely barmy move it's made out to be given what she knows and believes (and iirc she suspects tyrion in no small part because she doesn't know that lysa's bonkers)

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

porfiria posted:

watch cat Yoor Shisshter start a loving war

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

They maybe could have kept Tyrion being kidnapped quiet until someone sane told them this is a bad idea with such flimsy evidence against him

And she also probably wouldn't have done the killing/letter stuff that's the actual "start" of the troubles.

The dagger was strong evidence. There's no reason to suspect Littlefinger of lying since he told Ned about it too and if Ned told Robert, the lie would've been discovered and LF would be hung that day.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

That Tyrion would give the assassin his own personal gold plated magic dagger of +5 damage to kids, makes so little sense that if anything it gives him extra exoneration points.

It was so long since I read the books that I remembered it as Lysa sending the assassin to give her nephew mercy and also align the Starks against the Lannisters.

I have to respect Catelyn's performance as she gradually realises how batshit her sister is. A woman who's letters she has gambled her whole family and kingdom on.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Katt posted:

That Tyrion would give the assassin his own personal gold plated magic dagger of +5 damage to kids, makes so little sense that if anything it gives him extra exoneration points.

It was so long since I read the books that I remembered it as Lysa sending the assassin to give her nephew mercy and also align the Starks against the Lannisters.

I have to respect Catelyn's performance as she gradually realises how batshit her sister is. A woman who's letters she has gambled her whole family and kingdom on.

It's actually Joffrey who hired the assassin because he overheard Robert saying it would be better if Bran just died rather than wake up a cripple, so he did it as a twisted ":mitt:, Daddy" cry for attention that Robert completely ignored because he's a drunk who hates his kids and never gave a poo poo about anyone but Lyanna.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

nine-gear crow posted:

It's actually Joffrey who hired the assassin because he overheard Robert saying it would be better if Bran just died rather than wake up a cripple, so he did it as a twisted ":mitt:, Daddy" cry for attention that Robert completely ignored because he's a drunk who hates his kids and never gave a poo poo about anyone but Lyanna.

Well that makes no sense.

I also note in the show that the "knight of flowers" and Renly thing is slightly less subtle than in the book.

Granted in the book it was subtle to the point of drat near omission.

I bet a ton of people lost their minds over that back when season 1 first came out.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
Jaime telling Loras "I'll shove my sword somewhere even Renly never found" is not exactly subtle

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Katt posted:

I also note in the show that the "knight of flowers" and Renly thing is slightly less subtle than in the book.

He didn't have a Rainbow Guard though.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

A Typical Goon posted:

Jaime telling Loras "I'll shove my sword somewhere even Renly never found" is not exactly subtle

Nor was Loras saying the sun set when Renly died then becoming celibate

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

I appreciate the scene of Renly telling Ned to make him king and invoking "Might makes right"

Neds eyes couldn't roll fast enough

I didn't quite imagine Syrio Forel to be as flamboyant as he is in the show but I really like the show version.

I appreciate that the show did his death off camera too. I was kind of expecting them to take the chance to show him having his arms lopped off and his head split or something.

In the scene where The Hound fights The Mountain. When Robert commands them to stop The Hound instantly kneels regardless of The Mountains swing (and so basically bets his life that he won't finish the swing) and The Mountain seems to divert the swing in the last moment. Am I being weird for seeing this seen as oddly symbolic?

It strikes me as extremely bad judgement when Ned orders Tywin Lannister to present himself at Kings Landing or be declared a traitor. Based on the word of one traumatized peasant who saw a man that may have been The Mountain.

Also what's with Kings Landing being some desert city with palm trees and crap? I imagined it like some Skyrim castle thing.

Katt fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Mar 6, 2019

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Climate is hosed up in Westeros, its normal everywhere else..

So is the night that just wouldn't end mentioned happening anywhere else?

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Show Theon is like an even bigger piece of poo poo than book Theon. I didn't think that was possible.

Somewhat alleviated by everyone making GBS threads on him at all times. Like he can't even lord over an illiterate wildling girl without her establishing that he's useless.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Katt posted:

Show Theon is like an even bigger piece of poo poo than book Theon. I didn't think that was possible.

Somewhat alleviated by everyone making GBS threads on him at all times. Like he can't even lord over an illiterate wildling girl without her establishing that he's useless.

You’re in for a treat then, because it gets... so... much... worse...

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Theon's favourite hooker just left for the big city on the back of a turnip wagon. Pretty sure this is peak how bad things can get for one man. He's already Atlas carrying the burdens of the world on his shoulders.

Katt fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Mar 6, 2019

Martian
May 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Katt posted:

Theon's favourite hooker just left for the big city on the back of a turnup wagon. Pretty sure this is peak how bad things can get for one man. He's already Atlas carrying the burdens of the world on his shoulders.

Don't worry, it all gets better for Theon from here on out.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Collateral posted:

Climate is hosed up in Westeros, its normal everywhere else..

So is the night that just wouldn't end mentioned happening anywhere else?

Isn't the only time it's mentioned by that woman who is apparently very old who was a nursemaid to the Starks? Maybe Melisandre brings it up and I'm not remembering. It does seem like if the white walkers win, they'd be stuck in Westeros. That'd actually be a pretty awesome ending to the series, Cersei takes whatever gold she can and flees to one of the free cities while the Seven Kingdoms drown in blood and ice.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
the long night is a worldwide thing and westeros and essos both have myths of the hero fighting for the dawn

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Did the show ever make it explicit that Robert was a megacreeper who Lyanna was never really interested in anyway?

I mean, if we wanna do the old "who's to blame???" thing for why things went lovely I think Robert doing his rebellion entirely because he's a jilted weirdo in denial about the woman he's obsessed with not loving him back is a pretty singular and decision based act you can point to.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Mar 6, 2019

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Did the show ever make it explicit that Robert was a megacreeper who Lyanna was never really interested in anyway?

I mean, if we wanna do the old "who's to blame???" thing for why things went lovely I think Robert doing his rebellion entirely because he's a jilted weirdo in denial about the woman he's obsessed with not loving him back is a pretty singular and decision based act you can point to.

Been a while since I watched any of the older seasons, but I think they do touch on this. Just not as clearly as the books make it.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Wasn't it more touched off by the burning alive of Brandon and Rickard Stark?

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

pseudanonymous posted:

Wasn't it more touched off by the burning alive of Brandon and Rickard Stark?

That just made things worse imo and brought the other lords closer to Robert's side, but Bobert would have kept his rebellion going til he either died or got Lyanna back

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

esperterra posted:

That just made things worse imo and brought the other lords closer to Robert's side, but Bobert would have kept his rebellion going til he either died or got Lyanna back

This is what the wiki says, for what it's worth "280-281 AC: In response to the king's murder of Rickard and Brandon Stark, the new Lord of Winterfell, Eddard Stark, raises the banners of the North. Robert Baratheon, Lord of Storm's End and betrothed to Lyanna, joins the rebellion, raising the banners of the Stormlands."

One thing never made sense to me in GoT, there's basically no fostering going on when the war starts. They discuss fostering Arryns son. Yet the king's life was defined by his being fostered by Jon Arryn, and it's the kind of thing you do to keep wars from starting. I think it's just more authorially convenient than having floating children scattered around various houses, but it's just another thing that doesn't ring true to me.

pseudanonymous fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Mar 6, 2019

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Oh yeah that was a dick move too

everyone is bad! :mad:

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Wasn't the mad king about to explode the whole city with magic elf napalm?

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Katt posted:

Yeah, he had it secreted around the city by his pyromancer hand, but that was after the loss at the Trident.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

pseudanonymous posted:

This is what the wiki says, for what it's worth "280-281 AC: In response to the king's murder of Rickard and Brandon Stark, the new Lord of Winterfell, Eddard Stark, raises the banners of the North. Robert Baratheon, Lord of Storm's End and betrothed to Lyanna, joins the rebellion, raising the banners of the Stormlands."

One thing never made sense to me in GoT, there's basically no fostering going on when the war starts. They discuss fostering Arryns son. Yet the king's life was defined by his being fostered by Jon Arryn, and it's the kind of thing you do to keep wars from starting. I think it's just more authorially convenient than having floating children scattered around various houses, but it's just another thing that doesn't ring true to me.

It always did strike me as odd that none of Ned's sons were the wards of other lords tbh. Robert's children not being sent away I can buy b/c Cersei would probably refuse to send them away, but you'd think Ned would have sent a few away.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Katt posted:

pseudanonymous posted:

Yeah, he had it secreted around the city by his pyromancer hand, but that was after the loss at the Trident.

Yeah, that was after it was already clear to Aerys that he was turbofucked and had no chance of winning.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Aerys did nothing wrong?

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

esperterra posted:

It always did strike me as odd that none of Ned's sons were the wards of other lords tbh. Robert's children not being sent away I can buy b/c Cersei would probably refuse to send them away, but you'd think Ned would have sent a few away.

And Doran Martell has been plotting a rebellion ever since the last war, yet he neither fosters his children out or has some brought in to build alliances.

Pacho
Jun 9, 2010

pseudanonymous posted:

And Doran Martell has been plotting a rebellion ever since the last war, yet he neither fosters his children out or has some brought in to build alliances.

Doran does a lot of fostering intra-Dorne, that's the whole point of the Water Gardens. Robert was never in a position to demand hostages from Dorne since what happened to Elia. Regarding the Starks, I think friendly alliance-buildinng fostering is done at early adolescence and the middle Stark kids were at the right age at the beggining of GoT but then it all goes to hell

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

esperterra posted:

Ned is really loving bad at politics, it makes sense that he'd prefer to have his children close to home rather than try to use them to further relations with other great houses.

I like how in the series there is a lot of things left unsaid and just implied, like how Jon Arryn and Hoster Tully we're clearly planning some form of alliance for years before start of the Rebellion

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I also always thought it was a bit weird that King's Landing is so tropical given that it's basically the Westeros equivalent of London. But I don't think there's any suggestion in the book that it's a regular grey Medieval city so it's just me projecting my assumptions so I'm cool with the show challenging that.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

The idea that Maisie Williams passes for a boy is probably the greatest leap of faith that this franchise demands of the viewer. Like they even put girl makeup on her down to the lipstick.

When the black smith apprentice called her a girl and she's all :stare: I remembered that "Oh yeah they're supposed to think she's a boy"

Katt fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Mar 6, 2019

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Steve2911 posted:

I also always thought it was a bit weird that King's Landing is so tropical given that it's basically the Westeros equivalent of London. But I don't think there's any suggestion in the book that it's a regular grey Medieval city so it's just me projecting my assumptions so I'm cool with the show challenging that.

"I swear, women lose all modesty in the heat. They swim naked in the river, right beneath the castle. Even in the streets, it's too drat hot for wool or fur, so they go around in these short gowns, silk if they have the silver and cotton if not, but it's all the same when they start sweating and the cloth sticks to their skin, they might as well be naked."

Doesn't sound like London to me.

(lots of bad readers in the next few pages incidently but I'm not going to :goonsay: everyone)

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Martin's world has seasons that last for years (yet Earth flora/fauna), examining the climate for inconsistencies may be a futile endeavor.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

Bad readers, or don't remember poo poo from reading a book 20 years ago?

e: Okay, okay, 15 for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

SaviourX posted:

Bad readers, or don't remember poo poo from reading a book 20 years ago?

e: Okay, okay, 15 for me.

Bad readers, bad posters, bad books, bad thread.