Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

Happily, it has to be Shinji. Win-win-win.

HF2 spoilers: then you'll be satisfied at where the movie ends

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Stairmaster posted:

thank you for your sacrifice *brings down the knife*

I welcome death if it means Sakura can be with Shirou.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Cuntellectual posted:

The thing about True Magic is that something can be demoted/promoted between magecraft and Magic depending on the mystery around it.

If people learned how to travel through time via purely scientific means, the fifth Magic would become regular magecraft (in theory).

The fifth spans more than mere time travel (which can also be done through second magic and even magecraft, see Chaldea). Aoko does some high level timeline fuckery, stuff like "oh this event? nope, happened waaaaaaaay later".

You'd need to figure out how do retcons before the fifth can be demoted.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I've heard deen UBW isn't great but I'm guessing it's still probably the most convenient way to show someone UBW at this point?

Kyte posted:

The fifth spans more than mere time travel (which can also be done through second magic and even magecraft, see Chaldea). Aoko does some high level timeline fuckery, stuff like "oh this event? nope, happened waaaaaaaay later".

You'd need to figure out how do retcons before the fifth can be demoted.

The general point still stands. :shrug:

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

UBW is fantastic.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Cuntellectual posted:

I've heard deen UBW isn't great but I'm guessing it's still probably the most convenient way to show someone UBW at this point?

The TV series is still on Netflix and CR and is good even though it can make weird decisions at times. Deen UBW needs to bought through online retailers and I don't remember it being on any streaming websites though it's like 20 bucks for the bluray on Amazon, it is a very bad adaptation of UBW though.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Cuntellectual posted:

Extremely no. The whole ufotable series is on Netflix and for all of its flaws is a way better adaptation than the Deen movie

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Cuntellectual posted:

The general point still stands. :shrug:

Deen UBW movie bad. Ufotable UBW tv series good.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Cuntellectual posted:

The only point that deen UBW had, before the UBW anime came obsoleted even that one thing due to like thousand times better animation, was to serve as fan-service for fans who already played UBW route in visual novel and wanted to see all the cool poo poo animated. People can argue that UBW anime made some weird or bad choices about pacing or how it decides to adapt certain elements of plot, but UBW movie doesn't have those problems because it just straight out doesn't adapt like 90% of the actual plot, leaving pretty much only the fights in and being an incomprehensible mess for anyone who already doesn't know the plot of UBW inside out.

If you want to show someone UBW, show them UBW anime.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

otoh the deen movie did do the shirou vs archer fight better

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
ufo UBW is shinier and looks better in stills and clips but it has some legit issues with battle pacing and overall editing, during big important battles it'll often kill momentum by cutting away to somewhere else or will stretch out the scene to fit in all the thoughts.

The moment that always comes to my mind is Shirou's climactic battle with... I forgot whether it was Gil or Emiya lol oops. Anyways, in that battle, he affirms his ideal, he charges at his opponent, blades swinging to match and overpower the enemy's, and... he never gets closer. In between cuts he ends up further away than when he started and it's really quite mind bending to see, and it clearly was for the sake of fitting his inner monologue within the span of that charge. It's been a few years and it's always the first thing I remember of UBW.

Well that and Rin wiggling her butt. :v:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The TV series has heaps of problems wrt many of the final fights, but I also recall that the movie reduces/simplifies the Gil vs. Shirou fight as the two of them just sort of swinging swords at each other and not using GoB/UBW in the fight.

Best solution is still to just read the VN and then maybe watch the epilogue episode that takes place in London because that was neat and had Luvia.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
None of the UBW anime's problems are enough to make it not worth watching and especially not enough to make a bad movie worth watching instead.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

the TV Shirou VS Gil fight rules and makes a couple good alterations from the novel like Gil not using Ea on Shirou but on part of the grail and lol at it even being remotely comparable to the loving atrocity that is the movie version, which is Shirou walks forward swinging a single sword for a minute while gil walks backward holding one sword.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Kyte posted:

It's been a few years and it's always the first thing I remember of UBW.

Well that and Rin wiggling her butt. :v:

Priorities :hfive:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Yuu remains a treasure.

https://twitter.com/Julia320/status/1104939281770926081

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm finally playing through Mahoyo and this game sure is pretty.

That being said, while I get that it's kind of supposed to be a plot point, it's amazing that they managed to design a male main character who is even more of a dense idiot than Emiya "People die when they are killed" Shirou.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
Lost Butterfly was pretty amazing, ufotable's improved on pretty much everything from presage flower.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Just got back from lost butterfly here too and yeah, it was real good. Only one real big action scene, but the animation for it was very well done.

Theater was packed too (and it wasn't a small one),which, given there were two other theaters fairly close by ALSO playing it(also packed), gave me a bit of an actually visible eye-opener on how big Fate's actually gotten.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

i heard they took out all the important kirei scenes

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
Spring Song needs a 10~15 minute Kirei backstory prologue.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Movie 3 gonna be real good y'all

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
It was mildly amusing to see a mother trying to find a seat with her 12 or so year old kid during the blood sucking scene.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

kids gotta learn how the world works eventually

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Stairmaster posted:

i heard they took out all the important kirei scenes

In the VN there were 5 kirei scenes:
- kirei listening Gil rambling about the war, foreshadowing Gil fighting the shadow (cut).
- kirei removing almost all the worm and explaining Sakura situation (kept)
- kirei explaining to Shirou the dangers of Archer arm (cut, replaced by Rin explanation when she tries to seal the arm).
- kirei talking with Gil about the grail and the first flashback of his past (partially kept, the flashback was cut. Maybe they will merge It with the second flashback, that is way more important).
- kirei explaining the Shadow AGAIN in a slightly different way from Zouken (cut).

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Stairmaster posted:

All kids need to know about the birds, the bees, and the rape bugs.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

i wish they had kept the kirei sitdown with emiya post surgery just because it's funnier than having rin do it

that said, movie delivered. salter v berserker might be a more impressive individual fight than any individual sequence in broly

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

YggdrasilTM posted:

- kirei listening Gil rambling about the war, foreshadowing Gil fighting the shadow (cut).
- kirei explaining to Shirou the dangers of Archer arm (cut, replaced by Rin explanation when she tries to seal the arm).
- kirei talking with Gil about the grail and the first flashback of his past (partially kept, the flashback was cut. Maybe they will merge It with the second flashback, that is way more important).
- kirei explaining the Shadow AGAIN in a slightly different way from Zouken (cut).

The more I think about it, the more it makes sense to just have almost involving Kirei in the third movie as the climax is almost as much about him as it is about Shirou.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Stairmaster posted:

Doesn't it seem more likely that the kid dragged their mother there? Rather than that a mother who is a fan of this franchise brought their kid to this movie without knowing its contents?

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Given experiences with kids and parents at SAW movies it's honestly a 50/50 on whether it's a parent fan or a child fan.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

YggdrasilTM posted:

ah, so it's poo poo then got it

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Aurora posted:

i wish they had kept the kirei sitdown with emiya post surgery just because it's funnier than having rin do it

On the other hand the cut going straight to Sakura seeing Shirou with a brand new limb going "Hey Sakura! Got roughed up a little! :downs:" was hilarious.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
The movie looked amazing but they cut out nearly all the comedy scenes with Illya and Rin. Probably for the best to focus on the romance though, and they had to make room for a cumulative 10 minutes of Sakura looking blushy.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

HellCopter posted:

The movie looked amazing but they cut out nearly all the comedy scenes with Illya and Rin. Probably for the best to focus on the romance though, and they had to make room for a cumulative 10 minutes of Sakura looking blushy.

I thought there was realistically no way for them to spend more than minutes on any Illya stuff at all so what we got was real impressive. I’ll take the quality over quantity too, they made some big moments impactful and the smaller moments have cute details

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

uh you guys realize its legal for movies to be 2 and a half hours long right

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

movies shouldn't even be 2 hours

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

then perish

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Movies should be 20-30 minutes and with sequels released every week, typically for 12 to 24 weeks at a time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Space Flower posted:

I thought there was realistically no way for them to spend more than minutes on any Illya stuff at all so what we got was real impressive. I’ll take the quality over quantity too, they made some big moments impactful and the smaller moments have cute details

We did get the most powerful Ilya scene of all