Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

CommieGIR posted:

Its been rolled into USB-C as a feature of it.

And FireWire wasn't Apple's either, but it was still largely only adopted by Apple, much like Thunderbolt 1

However, Thunderbolt 1 as it was featured on the Apple Macbook Pros didn't catch on outside of Apple, so Intel rolled Thunderbolt 3 into USB-C.

But was not as adopted as Apple hoped. Yes FireWire gained popularity especially in the Video/Audi market, but USB won out despite being less capable.

Plenty of PCs had IEEE 1394, I had a few, but outside of external hard drives, very few PC peripherals used it other than some select digital cameras. Everyone largely moved onto USB fairly quickly because the licensing was friendlier.

firewire was like, the only connection for external DACs and DAWs for the longest time because lol @ doing a 24 track mix over loving usb

of course those were mostly macs for quite a while because ASIO was a clusterfuck on PC, but it did exist there too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

every dv camcorder since the mid 90s used firewire as well. it was usually the only way to get the footage onto a computer for editing until they switched to flash media

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
I said video/audio market.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
nobody read your post

stirlo
Aug 12, 2007

infernal machines posted:

nobody read any posts

sage advice

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

that feels like a personal attack

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Sagebrush posted:

that feels like a personal attack

maybe it is

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
All black people are going to need their token white person, or become victims of a self-driving car:

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-...obox=1551879078

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
better off ted was so ahead of its time

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

CommieGIR posted:

All black people are going to need their token white person, or become victims of a self-driving car:

That study is complete bollocks. A car only cares that something is free space it can drive through, or an obstacle it can’t.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

drgitlin posted:

That study is complete bollocks. A car only cares that something is free space it can drive through, or an obstacle it can’t.

And, uh, how do you think it's making those determinations

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

drgitlin posted:

Its not like camera's failing to compensate for darker skin has been an issue before...

https://hackernoon.com/algorithms-arent-racist-your-skin-is-just-too-dark-4ed31a7304b8

....oh.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Not a Children posted:

And, uh, how do you think it's making those determinations

by using lidar, which wouldn’t have this problem, because only a loving idiot would try and build a self-driving car with just cameras.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

drgitlin posted:

by using lidar, which wouldn’t have this problem, because only a loving idiot would try and build a self-driving car with just cameras.

would lidar have been that much more expensive to add in anyway? with all the customer issues, software development and design considerations needed to support webcams on a car, it just doesn’t seem like it was the cheaper solution

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

CommieGIR posted:

our future is that episode of better off ted where they hire increasing rounds of white and black people to trick the broken motion sensors and dodge racism complaints until they run out of parking

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

drgitlin posted:

uber lidar decided to mow down that lady on her bike

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

eh, not entirely

like, the uber lidar managed to trigger a warning almost two seconds before that woman was killed, but the system it would have triggered was disconnected from the breaks because it kept stop and going the car like a novice driver

also, actually, i think that was the volvo system

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

infernal machines posted:

eh, not entirely

like, the uber lidar managed to trigger a warning almost two seconds before that woman was killed, but the system it would have triggered was disconnected from the breaks because it kept stop and going the car like a novice driver

also, actually, i think that was the volvo system

no, uber disabled the volvo systems that detected the woman and would have stopped the car. that incident made volvo pull their vehicles from ubers program

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

Just because something is necessary doesn’t mean it’s sufficient. Uber are a bunch of loving cowboys.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

no amount of sensors are sufficient. the technology does not exist to do this work with the necessary accuracy to not get people killed. these things should not be on public roads and that point should be decades from now. the neural networks they are using to process the sensor data are nondeterministic dogshit and have no business driving cars.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

no amount of sensors are sufficient. the technology does not exist to do this work with the necessary accuracy to not get people killed. these things should not be on public roads and that point should be decades from now. the neural networks they are using to process the sensor data are nondeterministic dogshit and have no business driving cars.

This should be a disclaimer on every self-driving option before it's enabled

So fuckin' sick of seeing armchair engineers on reddit/twitter/wherever say that autopilot is coming soon. It's not.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

every death, accident, and property damage from these "automation" systems on automobiles should have their liability billed directly back to the manufacturer. that probably won't happen, but I have my fingers crossed that auto-insurers will see the writing on the walls and make these stupid things so impossibly expensive to ensure that no one will want to buy one except for a handful of ultra-rich people who can burn money like firewood and these systems stay quarantined to a handful of supercars to keep the deaths down

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

i just realized we’re living the part of fahrenheit451 where the beetle cars are actively trying to kill people

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

probably half the members of congress, the president, and maybe a good portion of the scotus barely know what email is. these are the people are in charge of regulating tech.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
i wonder if there's any way to get an explanation or basis for why that az sherrif's office determined there's no criminal liability for the ped they slaughtered. very clearly the software was inadequate. what chain of reasoning would lead you to their conclusion and why wouldn't it be open to examination?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Not a Children posted:

This should be a disclaimer on every self-driving option before it's enabled

So fuckin' sick of seeing armchair engineers on reddit/twitter/wherever say that autopilot is coming soon. It's not.

well, now that "full self-driving" no longer means the car can drive itself, it's actually somewhat more possible!

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Roosevelt posted:

probably half the members of congress, the president, and maybe a good portion of the scotus barely know what email is. these are the people are in charge of regulating tech.

like I said, I have more faith in the auto insurance industry to reign this poo poo in

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

every death, accident, and property damage from these "automation" systems on automobiles should have their liability billed directly back to the manufacturer. that probably won't happen, but I have my fingers crossed that auto-insurers will see the writing on the walls and make these stupid things so impossibly expensive to ensure that no one will want to buy one except for a handful of ultra-rich people who can burn money like firewood and these systems stay quarantined to a handful of supercars to keep the deaths down

Absolutley. a few years ago, the CEO of Volvo said if you’re not prepared to accept full liability as a manufacturer when the car is driving itself, you have no business making a car that can drive itself.

Musk says gently caress you, human, you’re on your own I’m not taking the blame.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I suspect we'll see automated semi rigs on freeways in our lifetime; better and more consistent roads, less variables, consistent traffic flows, limited decision making on well-documented and maintained roads, much lower risk of encountering pedestrians. Even with some number of failures it will probably be a wash or better than human drivers with the risk of falling asleep or messing up. Hopefully what ends up happening are dedicated off-ramps (instead of them trying to navigate city streets) for them are made in to large metro shipping districts for offload and local distribution but I still think we could do better with trains if we had a government that wasn't dogshit.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
god how is there not a galaxy brain meme that starts at self driving trucks on freeways only -> specialized roads exclusively for self driving trucks ->you’ve just reinvented trains

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

for a moment i thought he was being self aware here

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1103221573127827456
A)It's a fake, the nipples aren't pointy enough.
B)Does this count as lying over an official Tesla communication channel?

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

you’d think the rock would have trademarked those tats

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
This seems plausible: http://blog.quirkyllama.org/2019/03/the-vin-gap-hypothesis.html

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
self-driving cars are a symptom of our horrible urban design, not a solution.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Jimmy Carter posted:

self-driving cars are a symptom of our horrible urban design, not a solution.

We need megacities.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

I suspect we'll see automated semi rigs on freeways in our lifetime; better and more consistent roads, less variables, consistent traffic flows, limited decision making on well-documented and maintained roads, much lower risk of encountering pedestrians. Even with some number of failures it will probably be a wash or better than human drivers with the risk of falling asleep or messing up. Hopefully what ends up happening are dedicated off-ramps (instead of them trying to navigate city streets) for them are made in to large metro shipping districts for offload and local distribution but I still think we could do better with trains if we had a government that wasn't dogshit.

as we have discussed several times the one and only reason to do over the road trucking is ease of pickup and delivery

an automated system that can’t navigate complex docking situations or handle lift gates at either end is just a really bad and expensive train.

it’s comceivable that truckers would buy such a system to make life on the road easier but it will not reduce the cost of freight one dollar

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

CommieGIR posted:

Its been rolled into USB-C as a feature of it.

only as of usb 4, which is in the future. as of today they’re two separate standards that have mutually designed around a single connector

yes I know this is splitting hairs

quote:

And FireWire wasn't Apple's either, but it was still largely only adopted by Apple, much like Thunderbolt 1

However, Thunderbolt 1 as it was featured on the Apple Macbook Pros didn't catch on outside of Apple, so Intel rolled Thunderbolt 3 into USB-C.

nah. the usb type c connector exists because apple created it, granted royalty free rights, and pushed it through the USB-IF standards process. on the other side, thunderbolt always was a collaboration between Apple and intel, so intel went along.

Apple was also responsible for the dual function Mini DisplayPort connector used by thunderbolt 1/2. at that time apple couldn’t get usb-if to go along with thunderbolt unification, but had more success with the DisplayPort committee

ignoring the question of whether it’s a good thing, the driving force behind usb-c connector unification has been Apple. the pc industry likely never would have tried on its own.

also thunderbolt the signaling/protocol standard is an interesting counterpoint to you are posts

you see, apple did indeed get burned by jobs attempting to over-monetize apple’s FireWire ip rights. this empowered the execs in intel who’d never liked it in the first place because NIH, giving them enough political capital to cancel plans to integrate a firewire host controller into every Intel consumer chipset. thanks to this the market for FireWire peripherals was never large enough to see full silicon integration on the peripheral side either, so both sides were always stuck being too expensive

thunderbolt was apples idea, after it was clear FireWire failed they needed a replacement. not wanting to repeat history they decided on mainly being the ideas people and contributing mechanical design on the connectors while letting intel do the rest, in hopes that if it was Intel’s baby, surely this time around intel would do the right things to drive widespread adoption and commoditization

what actually happened is Intel played the role of Jobs, only more so. nobody outside intel was even allowed to design their own thunderbolt silicon for quite a long time, then they shifted to “ok maybe,,, but you will pay all the dollars and we get to refuse to license to you if we don’t like your product plans or the cut of your jib”. they also studiously avoided full integration in order to make more money by selling discrete thunderbolt controllers.

it’s good that they’ve finally come around, hopefully it’s not too late

quote:

Plenty of PCs had IEEE 1394, I had a few, but outside of external hard drives, very few PC peripherals used it other than some select digital cameras. Everyone largely moved onto USB fairly quickly because the licensing was friendlier.

pour one out for device bay, the standard too good for this world

(if Jobs hadn’t tried to collect too much rent on ieee 1394 aka FireWire we might have had native internal FireWire HDDs and other devices with standardized hot plug bay form factors in the late 1990s and early oughts)

to tie this rambling back to Tesla, it shows the folly of trying to completely own a key interface standard. if you use IP law to give yourself too much power over an interface, few will adopt it unless forced, and Tesla’s licensing terms are so laughably one sided and greedy that they put both jobs/fw and intel/tb to shame

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

reminder that if apple hadn't given away usb-c, androids would all be using this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Endless Mike posted:

reminder that if apple hadn't given away usb-c, androids would all be using this

thanks,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7xVtTH6oA8