Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Brought To You By posted:

The short of it is: I pick Neutral because it feels more noble and human centric, and it's usually the ending the game is pushing for.

The long of it this:

Thinking back to my first runs of different games. First mainline game was Strange Journey and I went Neutral because it was the mission. Plus Gore and Arthur left a strong impression. In SMT 1 I also went neutral, and it's in no small part because Taishang tells you to do in the beginning of the game. SMT II however, I wound up on the Law route and it's because I was 100% down for helping Zayin preserve Millennium. Especially after we had ousted the archangels and he wanted to just help humanity survive the apocalypse. I don't think he was jonesing to use the megiddo cannon until after he became Satan but by that point it was too late to stop him so we razed the planet. So in part one reason I go neutral is because it's the direction the developers are pushing. Barring that I go with the route that feels like it's doing the most good and if you look at the alignment metrics for II, things like helping prisoners is a law aligned action.

But going back to SMT1 and Taishang; his closing monologue is what undoubtedly colors the alignment discussion decades later.

The first thing to point out is that Taishang is incredibly idealistic and optimistic about humanity's potential. So is Commander Gore. And Taishang has a very simple view of Law and Chaos given how those alignments have evolved over the iterations. Knowing how SMTII starts out you can see why I said Neutrality leads to Law and I like that the developers immediately show the major flaw of neutrality. Neutrality lasts only as long as the character that made the decision to be neutral lives. And you're correct that the Neutral ending more or less resets the countdown to humanity's destruction. Even the freedom ending of Nocturne has this stated to the demifiend and it's how SJ ends as well. And if neutrality doesn't lead to law it most assuredly leads to destruction as Arthur fears would happen if all the accumulated knowledge he was given were to make it back to civilization.

But I think I like neutral because it means that human civilization doesn't "die". Yes humanity would survive in the Law route, but it would be just to glorify a diety they themselves created. And even though I like the idea of a world without suffering, law wants to build that kingdom on earth. But rather than just pulling in the believers and leaving everyone else to languish outside; they believe in purging those who are unfit at worst, or mentally coercing them at best. "join or die" is a good way to describe law and I can't really get behind it. Chaos just leads to civilization dying out as a whole. The only humans that will survive Chaos are the ones who either throw away their humanity, or are the ones who had enough power to withstand the demons and that's a very small number.

So making the choice of neutrality is very much a personal decision being forced onto humanity. But in every game we're the only one who can make it and at the end of the day I'd rather not allow either of these two other factions to push Humanity to one of the extremes while also being responsible for the current problems. Not saying the true answer lies in the middle, just that Neutrality is the only option that lets humans be independent and I think there's value in that.

Well said. I think you make a good argument for Neutral. Although, if I might be so bold, I think Atlus does believe that that the truth lies in the middle. Everything from SMT to Persona seems to me to have a unifying message of "Optimistic Humanist Status Quo-Ism." I was once told the difference between lovely genre fiction and real art is when the dragons and goblins and stuff mean something.

So what is Atlus really saying when you strip away all the magic and angels and poo poo? What does Shin Megami Tensei and Persona say about the real world? Take the "right" response when you (Apocalypse spoilers) fight Merkabah:
"I fight for a world without bias."
Merkabah: "A world without bias... Is that not by its very nature a world without stability? There is no salvation in such a world -- only pain and difficulty.
Gaston: But it does not end there. We are drawn to what lies beyond hardships.

I'm fairly certain the fact Law promises a Thousand Year Kingdom is no coincidence. A reich that last a millennium. The 20th Century was called in a lecture I listened to a a century of "Utopia and Terror.". From the Nazis to Mao, it was a century built on the idea that with enough force and bodies, a perfect state was possible. We just had to give in and let it happen.

SMT and Persona reject this. They are aggressively anti-Utopian. Law and even Chaos are presented as "easy" outs and escapes to that fabled utopia. But both roads are dead-ends. Conversely, if we stand on our own two feet, we are in for a lot of suffering and failure. But that suffering will be endured and that failure will lead to success and in the end will be a world better than either Law or Chaos can offer.

That's my interpretation of these games anyway. To be frank, it's in a lot of Japanese media I read and watch and play. Xenosaga and Xenogears is even bigger on this idea. We can only help ourselves and find meaning in ourselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

MonsieurChoc posted:

Before P5, P1 remained the best selling game in the series.
it's the best one, the numbers dont lie

Brought To You By posted:

But going back to SMT1 and Taishang; his closing monologue is what undoubtedly colors the alignment discussion decades later.
I've always thought that it was weird to have a form of Laozi saying this to you

Like yes Taoism is a form of Neutrality in a way, but not at all represented in gameplay where you're carefully checking decisions to balance out the last one you made so you get an ending. Laozi wouldn't be telling you to adhere this one social order by rejecting others. In SMT, you are always acting with intention

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Mar 6, 2019

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Cuntellectual posted:

It's not worth it.

I'm gonna do it, and I'm almost certainly gonna regret it

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

XP in persona 1 being distributed by individual contribution to fights always infuriated me the most about it.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
March 5th :rip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOKyf_7J6sA

Dehry fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Mar 6, 2019

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

You're either two months early or two keys right.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Damnit. I was searching for things on twitter and didn't notice how far back I had gone.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Mraagvpeine posted:

That's a good write-up. And I thought I heard (rumor, ha) that Sudou was the inspiration for the Reaper?

I don't know if there's official word that they took inspiration from Sudou for the Reaper, but I can definitely see the resemblance. The Reaper's even missing an eye in the same place Sudou's mask doesn't have one.

Oxxidation posted:

i was digging sudou's one-eyed murderhobo look ever since i first saw his portrait in a gamepro magazine as a wee lad

that might have been my first contact with persona, actually

It's definitely a strong look. The fact Sudou's only wearing a patient's gown underneath makes it even better to me. :v:

MonsieurChoc posted:

Knadori is one of my favourite Persona villains, although that's probably because of his Eternal Punishment appearance adding a lot of depths to the character. The pretty good Persona 1 manga adaptation also helps.

And he's got some pretty good tracks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiwA_suQhE0

Agreed. Dude got dragged back from the dead just to be Nyarly's lackey, but he kept his development from the end of P1. Eternal Punishment making him go "been there, done that" and completely tired of it all was pretty cool. He's just going through the motions of being a bad guy, and even his fight with you was more "I wanna test you to see if you have the resolve to end this".

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Happy end of Persona 3 day.

StandardVC10 fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Mar 6, 2019

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I mean, you were correct in spirit, the game does actually end on March 5

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wONI34aquiU

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPAsA88aRFQ

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=if3HGAqFOmo

I'm a day late, but here's the Trinity Soul version.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Booky posted:

I like all neutral ends except SMTII's, and that's more because the Chaos ending is super nice and you help out the mutants and everything while the Neutral end is just kinda lame. :v:
The Chaos theme playing during the ending gives it a hauntingly beautiful effect that I still remember over a decade later. :swoon:

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Wark Say posted:

The Chaos theme playing during the ending gives it a hauntingly beautiful effect that I still remember over a decade later. :swoon:

I never actually finished SMTII but aaa the music was sooo good!! :swoon: And Lucifer was such a chill guy in that end too!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-Fs2bPw_7I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PD9XERqSER4

Basically SMTII neutral is centrism, or whatever, what with just ditching the oppressed mutants under Tokyo Millennium. :v:

Booky fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Mar 6, 2019

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So I've noticed in IS PSP they completely dumped the TEC stat. Or maybe Dexterity just replaces it. In IS on PS1 I made Tatsuya an all-rounder and in EP I made Maya pure mage. Far as I could tell, Str was worthless. I wasn't even sure if it effected Physical Persona Skills. TEC was where it was at for making your Fusion Spellsand the like as damaging as possible.

But here in the remake they made Dx govern MAttack... Still not sure how to build Tatsuya and if Strength is worth anything.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Mar 6, 2019

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
TEC is Dex now and you should absolutely Dex build Tatsuya. Like put some points in vitality too but you should rear end-blast demons with magic and poo poo.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

BaDandy posted:

TEC is Dex now and you should absolutely Dex build Tatsuya. Like put some points in vitality too but you should rear end-blast demons with magic and poo poo.

I thought this was an EO post at first and was very confused.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

BaDandy posted:

Gotcha. Strength just seems like total poo poo. Glancing at a FAQ it seems to say Dex also effects Physical Persona attacks so...really, Str is worthless.

I just want to make sure I built him right since I hear there are superbosses in this game.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Mar 7, 2019

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So does Persona 1 have a "Best Bro" character?

We've all seen the arguments about Junpei vs. Yosuke vs. Ryuji and then the few of us who played IS might throw Eikichi in there, too. Eikichi is my second favorite after Yosuke because his character has such a wonderful arc and I absolutely love its conclusion at his Shrine, easily the best out of everyone. (way better than Lisa's random "I dated guys and did drugs!")

I'm thinking I really need to play P1 because Ellie was my favorite part of Eternal Punishment. I did not consider getting Tatsuya back a fair trade whatsoever. Her dialogue in EP makes it sound like she was the P1 MC's love interest so I would hope she's prominent.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

NikkolasKing posted:

I'm thinking I really need to play P1 because Ellie was my favorite part of Eternal Punishment. I did not consider getting Tatsuya back a fair trade whatsoever. Her dialogue in EP makes it sound like she was the P1 MC's love interest so I would hope she's prominent.
Elly is completely optional in the main story and actually pretty easy to miss if you decide to let both Mark (who I guess is the closest thing to a best bro character in P1) and Brown (who sucks) join you when they ask, because as it turns out you can't change your party once it's full. I never finished P1 so I might be wrong about this, but I think Maki was the designated love interest.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Mark always joins you, and is probably the closest to your best buddy (though he is never seen in Persona 2). Eriko is optional, but yeah she's pretty fun and just kind of silly. It's like outright said she had a crush on Boy With Earring, but never acted on it because she knew Maki did too and she didn't want to crush Maki like that. The Persona 1 manga (which I do reccomend, it's p. cool) makes Maki more of your childhood friend who you fell away from after she was hospitalized throughout high school, but she also likes other guys other than you too.

Technically I think choosing Nanjo as your buddy in Eternal Punishment is more canon since you get to see what happened with Kandori, whereas I don't remember Eriko has you do, but she is more fun

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Mar 7, 2019

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Ah, I forgot Mark always joins you, but that does make sense as he has some pretty important story moments. But yeah, don't take Brown, he sucks.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Nanjo is the Number 1 Man in Japan and as such is the best bro.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Expect My Mom posted:

Mark always joins you, and is probably the closest to your best buddy (though he is never seen in Persona 2). Eriko is optional, but yeah she's pretty fun and just kind of silly. It's like outright said she had a crush on Boy With Earring, but never acted on it because she knew Maki did too and she didn't want to crush Maki like that. The Persona 1 manga (which I do reccomend, it's p. cool) makes Maki more of your childhood friend who you fell away from after she was hospitalized throughout high school, but she also likes other guys other than you too.

Technically I think choosing Nanjo as your buddy in Eternal Punishment is more canon since you get to see what happened with Kandori, whereas I don't remember Eriko has you do, but she is more fun

Somebody when I played EP told me to pick the girl when you get the option of asking for help from a man or woman and that's how I ended up with Ellie. I don't know why they told me to do that but I'm glad. But yes it does seem I missed out on some important plot. IIRC Ellie's quest is to go to the TV station to confront the evil medium working with the NWO or something like that. You end up fighting a stalker from Ellie's past or what was actually a weird traumatic magical manifestation of that stalker.

My memory of EP's plot is very spotty.

So Persona 1 has multiple routes or something? Different endings and the like? I always hear people say dramatically they'er doing the Snow Queen Quest for example.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

Comparing ryuji to junpei and yosuke is a mistake, because joker's Good Bro Who Sucks rear end is morgana, actually

if original persona 3 hadn't been too scared to let you s-link the male party members, junpei would 100% have been the magician.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

So Persona 1 has multiple routes or something? Different endings and the like? I always hear people say dramatically they'er doing the Snow Queen Quest for example.
Yeah, at one point you get a choice whether you want to go after the main villain or investigate some weird poo poo going on at school. The former is the main (SEBEC) quest and the latter is the Snow Queen path, and they're both canon even though you can only pick one of them per playthrough.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Yeah you also get to pick one character out of like four to join you, and these don't really do much but change the flavor of reaction dialogue, except one guy is Kandori's younger brother so most people just go with him to get all the story

NikkolasKing posted:

IIRC Ellie's quest is to go to the TV station to confront the evil medium working with the NWO or something like that. .
drat maya gonna go give kevin nash the business

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I saw a lot of soundtrack talk and not a lot of talk about SMT IV. I love the ambient/industrial vibe.
What's up with that?

Also SJ has a really good (if not very different) soundtrack
All the chanting definitely creeped the poo poo out of me back in the day, though I might have a soft spot for it because it was my intro to the series.

Nephrite
Aug 18, 2006
Lipstick Apathy

Expect My Mom posted:

You always pick Nanjo because Eriko's dungeon is the TV Station and sucks loving rear end forever.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Thanks everybody for P1 info. I'll definitely have to look into playing it when I am done with IS.

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I saw a lot of soundtrack talk and not a lot of talk about SMT IV. I love the ambient/industrial vibe.
What's up with that?

I don't really like Industrial - or what a guy like me who knows poo poo about music thinks is Industrial - but for the Lord of Chaos?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhpDGXLWUW0

"I am the radiant morning star which lights the way to the sons of man. I am the true flame of life in all the glory of flesh, blood, and my own will. So come, ye lifeless puppets of YHVH! I shall snuff out your ostentatious lights."

quote:

Also SJ has a really good (if not very different) soundtrack
All the chanting definitely creeped the poo poo out of me back in the day, though I might have a soft spot for it because it was my intro to the series.

Actually, Strange Journey was my first SMT game and it's remarkably different from all other soundtracks I've heard from Meguro. There's no rock or Jazz or general weirdness. It's a symphonic OST like you'd hear in a lot of other JRPGs. But it's still amazing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2huCwT171c

This is still my favorite SMT normal boss theme. Such memories of my first SMT bosses like Ouroboros and Gore.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Nephrite posted:

You always pick Nanjo because Eriko's dungeon is the TV Station and sucks loving rear end forever.
and miss eriko's new short hair? gently caress that

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Because the Kirijo Group forms from the Nanjo group, does that mean that P1 (or P2) have canon choices on those?

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
nah not at all, Kei always inherits his father's company, and we don't know when the split happened

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I think the story there is that the Nanjo Group gave all the stuff from SEBEC to the Kirijo Group and let them have free reign resulting in an impressive amount of bullshit.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Nephrite posted:

Why would you ever willingly pick the sewer level?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I once did the Reverse Order Snow Queen Quest.

Don't do that kids. It's not worth it.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

This is a hard question, but I gotta ask it:

Which character in each game has the most forgettable social link? Not the one that you hate, not the one you think is stupid, but the one you completely forgot existed after the game was done?

Here's mine:

Persona 3: Kenji Tomochika

Persona 4: Eri Minami

Persona 5: Ichiko Ohya (Although, weirdly, I always remember the bar where it happens and Lala-chan. But if you put a gun to my head I don't think I could tell you anything about Ichiko beyond "reporter" and "dead friend? I think?")

Space Cadet Omoly fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Mar 7, 2019

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Kenji's social link is the weirdest loving thing. Like that really should have been a giant red flag to not get into Persona but we all just say there and told that kid to keep trying to have sex with his teacher

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Oh you wanted to hang out with Junpei? the guy your age? who lives with you? shut up dude, go eat ramen with this pervert