Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Burkion posted:

https://twitter.com/matsutomo_kaiju...r%3D135%23pti30

That looks like something that should fight Ultraman

Is this just some fan art stuff or is there a live action Digimon in the works?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

K. Waste posted:

Is this just some fan art stuff or is there a live action Digimon in the works?

Sadly I think it's just fan stuff.

I'm not sure HOW you could do a live action Digimon movie. I don't think we've gone THAT anime in American movies yet

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Burkion posted:

Sadly I think it's just fan stuff.

I'm not sure HOW you could do a live action Digimon movie. I don't think we've gone THAT anime in American movies yet

We already have a live action Pokemon, a live action Alita, a live action fuckin' Death Note of all things, a live action GitS - Legendary is developing a My Hero Academia movie, we have literally never been at a more peak anime level

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Imagine Detective Pikachu but more cyberpunk

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I guess the holy grail of live action animes would be Akira, I wonder if there's a plan for that in the works.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

They've been trying to make that happen for like 15 years now

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Gundam recently got a scriptwriter and there was also a Robotech film in "development".

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Basebf555 posted:

I guess the holy grail of live action animes would be Akira, I wonder if there's a plan for that in the works.

Last I heard Jordan Peele was attached to development

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

K. Waste posted:

Last I heard Jordan Peele was attached to development

He was never formally attached. They were propositioning him, but he had other projects in development and declined.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Edit: :v:

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
If we get a Digimon movie, then we've hit peak anime.

Digimon is the series where there is no rhyme or reason for any of the designs beyond 'must look cool as poo poo'

Be it tit angels or giant robot dinosaurs made of revolvers, anything goes in Digimon.

Pokemon, Pokemon almost makes sense as a Hollywood movie. They're just animals with super powers who can some times talk. Digimon are a whole other level of weird poo poo that I don't think they'd be willing to embrace.

And to tie this back to Godzilla further- a lot of the very original Digimon were directly inspired by or based on Godzilla kaiju, and I'm pretty sure that a few were taken from a failed Godzilla VPet project and translated into new designs.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Basebf555 posted:

How did it work out exactly that Nancy Cartwright, Harry Shearer, and Hank Azaria all get cast in Godzilla? Was there a Simpsons connection there?

Emmerich and Devlin specifically chose them for their Simpsons connections, I think, because all of those characters were meant to be comic relief on some level and Emmereich and Devlin are gigantic hacks.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Don't have a cow, Zilla.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Basebf555 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jafd97yJFOI

And just because of the simpsons chat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SWt6OQ4Nl4

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Iirc a lot of Digimon designs are deliberately weird and neither one thing nor t'other, since the premise is basically a world full of creatures that evolved out of video game assets.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I always saw at least early digimon as animism but applied to computer stuff instead of the physical world.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

Burkion posted:

If we get a Digimon movie, then we've hit peak anime.

Digimon is the series where there is no rhyme or reason for any of the designs beyond 'must look cool as poo poo'

Be it tit angels or giant robot dinosaurs made of revolvers, anything goes in Digimon.

Pokemon, Pokemon almost makes sense as a Hollywood movie. They're just animals with super powers who can some times talk. Digimon are a whole other level of weird poo poo that I don't think they'd be willing to embrace.

And to tie this back to Godzilla further- a lot of the very original Digimon were directly inspired by or based on Godzilla kaiju, and I'm pretty sure that a few were taken from a failed Godzilla VPet project and translated into new designs.

I don’t play Pokémon but some of the poo poo people have posted about it recently throes this thesis into question

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

DeimosRising posted:

I don’t play Pokémon but some of the poo poo people have posted about it recently throes this thesis into question

It's a weird franchise, but has a strength in that it's not tied to any particular story or even characters; it's about a world where animals have superpowers and low-level sentience (at least) and live alongside humanity, some of them are basically gods or at least superheroes (or supervillains. Or, of course, Kaiju) and kids are taught to train and battle them recreationally as a hobby and sport, among other things.

Digimon has weird stuff but ultimately is actually less complicated; some old video game project got so complex it created a self-sustaining alternate fairyland dimension full of monsters and mysteries that sometimes monsters leak out of or kids get sucked into. (or both)

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Pokemon is funny because there have been contradictions and gaping holes from the beginning. The writer of the anime believed Pokemon would have shown up in the real world within the last several decades and slowly replaced animals, but this doesn't make much sense because there are Pokemon already hundreds or thousands of years old by the second games. This is also nonsensical because there are fossil Pokemon thought to be millions of years old by the events of the first game. Compounding this is the fact that the games now fully subscribe to multiverse theory (hence why there are so many 'versions') and that the chronology of the games indicates that even Pokemon with a somewhat futuristic or manmade nature have been around from quite some time. There are, for instance, several Mewtwos when logically only one should exist, being the unstable failed experiment of a clone of an already incredibly rare species.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Splice should have ended with them creating the first pokemon.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

MacheteZombie posted:

Splice should have ended with them creating the first pokemon.

And loving it. Naturally.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

I won't be satisfied unless they flatten every highrise in the surrounding area.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So that's why there's no skyscrapers in DC

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Arcsquad12 posted:

So that's why there's no skyscrapers in DC

I'm now imagining Godzilla tripping over a building instead of knocking them over

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

The true nemesis of the kaiju:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The Golden Gael posted:

Pokemon is funny because there have been contradictions and gaping holes from the beginning. The writer of the anime believed Pokemon would have shown up in the real world within the last several decades and slowly replaced animals, but this doesn't make much sense because there are Pokemon already hundreds or thousands of years old by the second games. This is also nonsensical because there are fossil Pokemon thought to be millions of years old by the events of the first game. Compounding this is the fact that the games now fully subscribe to multiverse theory (hence why there are so many 'versions') and that the chronology of the games indicates that even Pokemon with a somewhat futuristic or manmade nature have been around from quite some time. There are, for instance, several Mewtwos when logically only one should exist, being the unstable failed experiment of a clone of an already incredibly rare species.

I mean, wouldn't be too hard to say someone stole the notes and maybe some samples and made their own Mewtwo that turned out about as well as the first one, though I'm sure that's probably the writers not caring about the first movie or even remembering it.

The whole nature of the series does basically lend itself to choose-your-own-canon, really.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/mondomascots/status/1105526232010022912

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I have that set. There is also a Hedorah.

The instructions read (iirc): Godzilla: apologies for destruction, Gidorah: apologies for aggression, Mecha G: Apologies for impersonation, and Hedorah wasn't bowing and his sign said Not apologizing, remaining defiant.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Bow down for what?

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Schwarzwald posted:

Bow down for what?

I'm now suddenly imagining a crunk song but with, like, guys jumping around in big kaiju suits

like, Gwar meets East Side Boyz...

East Size Boyz!!!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Schwarzwald posted:

Bow down for what?

What he did to that cat.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Hedorah wasn't bowing and his sign said Not apologizing, remaining defiant.

Haaa, I love it

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Hedorah has still been hinted. I bet it'll be the real bad guy in King Kong vs Godzilla.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Haaa, I love it

Hedorah doesnt look very apologetic here

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Haaa, I love it

:lol:

I love these - I got my set but then during a clean I lost 3 of the mics. :(

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Hedorah has still been hinted. I bet it'll be the real bad guy in King Kong vs Godzilla.

I hope not, it would just end up being Kong/Godzilla vs. an amorphous black blob which I know is something movie studios love to do for some reason but it's never exciting.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Hedorah doesnt look very apologetic here

That's because he's refusing to apologize.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Basebf555 posted:

I hope not, it would just end up being Kong/Godzilla vs. an amorphous black blob which I know is something movie studios love to do for some reason but it's never exciting.

If they were fighting in, say, the sunny blue-and-greens of the tropical Pacific instead of an apocalyptic urban hellscape, Hedorah would be a great contrasting element and easy to identify.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

McSpanky posted:

If they were fighting in, say, the sunny blue-and-greens of the tropical Pacific instead of an apocalyptic urban hellscape, Hedorah would be a great contrasting element and easy to identify.

I could see them going all-in on Hedorah being bright and luridly colored, like a poison dart frog. Emphasize that origin with conspicuous barrels of glowing green radioactive waste, neon blue chemicals, stuff like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Cythereal posted:

I could see them going all-in on Hedorah being bright and luridly colored, like a poison dart frog. Emphasize that origin with conspicuous barrels of glowing green radioactive waste, neon blue chemicals, stuff like that.

Pokemon did it: