Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

More old model ads. Visit imgur for gigantic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Please remind me to draw more often.
Soiled Meat
Had to be some thrill of risk in mail-order kits back in the day. Just a teeny thumbnail image to go by. We have it so easy now with every kit getting previewed and unboxed.

I just came across a person on kijiji offering 3D printer knockoffs of Warhammer vehicles and minis. I can understand how someone could feel like they are sticking it to GW or whatever but I don't see how the value is there in pirating these. The seller is offering 'most tanks' for $10 - $15 each. Which seems cheap but we are talking about a cheap FDM print which means EVERY surface will need to be sanded and puttied to get the print steps out. The labour would eat up days. You would get better results scratchbuilding.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
You'd get better results wandering the streets picking up change until you could just buy one by the looks of that :stare:

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Scut posted:

Had to be some thrill of risk in mail-order kits back in the day. Just a teeny thumbnail image to go by. We have it so easy now with every kit getting previewed and unboxed.

I started building models close to 30 years ago and got my start on hand-me-down kits from some of my dad's friends that had to have dated from the 60s and 70s. Coming from that kind of background, it was basically understood that you would be spending a lot of time fixing casting errors, sanding and gap filling (and more sanding). It was a part of the hobby.

In a lot of ways, we are really, really spoiled these days. You can really see it in the wargaming side of things; folks whose experience mainly stems from putting together modern plastic GW kits often seem to experience a degree of culture shock when they branch out into scale models from other manufacturers.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
Depends if you were round for the white metal era of games workshop or not I’d guess. I started collecting in 2000 and some of the plastic kits they’d put out in the 90’s where pretty bad really. With the white metal stuff you’d never be sure if it had fallen apart in transit to the battle which meant super glue was a necessary inclusion in the kit especially if you didn’t know about pinning the joints to prevent that from happening

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I was a 95 GW starter, and building my first Tamiya kit blew my mind.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Dr. Garbanzo posted:

Depends if you were round for the white metal era of games workshop or not I’d guess. I started collecting in 2000 and some of the plastic kits they’d put out in the 90’s where pretty bad really. With the white metal stuff you’d never be sure if it had fallen apart in transit to the battle which meant super glue was a necessary inclusion in the kit especially if you didn’t know about pinning the joints to prevent that from happening

Yeah, when I say modern, I mean the newish plastics that have started to come out in the past seven years or so. The old metals could be a real bastard, and converting them asked a lot more of the builder than most other materials.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 30 days!
In the never-ending effort to step up my painting and modeling game, I was browsing thru my local Michael's and came across some Winsor & Newton water-soluble oil paints. I grabbed a couple of tubes, and while I'm still doing some experimenting, I have to say that they are potentially a game-changer for me once I work out how best to utilize them. :dance:

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
I didn't know they made water soluble oil paints. I just buy the odourless turpentoid, a pint bottle lasts me for about two years.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Scut posted:

I just came across a person on kijiji offering 3D printer knockoffs of Warhammer vehicles and minis. I can understand how someone could feel like they are sticking it to GW or whatever but I don't see how the value is there in pirating these. The seller is offering 'most tanks' for $10 - $15 each. Which seems cheap but we are talking about a cheap FDM print which means EVERY surface will need to be sanded and puttied to get the print steps out. The labour would eat up days. You would get better results scratchbuilding.

Why not make a loving resin casting or something?? 3d printing is great for prototyping new shapes other people have not produced molds and factories for, but it's pretty poo poo or really expensive for making knockoffs like that.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
For all its expenses and shoddy quality on fine details, once you have the 3D printer dialed in it's basically set it and forget it. If he made casts, that would require effort the whole way through. The molds would wear out, and the overall cost of making new molds and the resin for casting would actually be a lot more than spools of filament for a printer.

That's why in the garage kit industry most kit-makers severely limit their production runs, just enough to get a few dozen casts out before the molds wear out. Very few will continually keep casting their work and making new master molds, the costs are just too prohibitive. The same reason Sideshow is practically the only large scale statue maker still around these days.

Bloody Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Mar 6, 2019

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
You'd get better results with any other kind of 3d printer too. FDM is no good for this sort of thing.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010

Fearless posted:

Yeah, when I say modern, I mean the newish plastics that have started to come out in the past seven years or so. The old metals could be a real bastard, and converting them asked a lot more of the builder than most other materials.

That’d be after I stopped buying anything from them I think. I bailed around the same time as finecast became a thing. I did manage to convert a metal archaeon into an empire general but it was a stack of work and the castings themselves had a pretty good warp going on which helped kill my enthusiasm for painting stuff really. I’d post pics but I’m pretty sure I deleted them when I sold everything off last year.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Dr. Garbanzo posted:

That’d be after I stopped buying anything from them I think. I bailed around the same time as finecast became a thing. I did manage to convert a metal archaeon into an empire general but it was a stack of work and the castings themselves had a pretty good warp going on which helped kill my enthusiasm for painting stuff really. I’d post pics but I’m pretty sure I deleted them when I sold everything off last year.

The Lord of the Rings franchise was hugely lucrative for them and they reinvested a shitload of the profits of that into what is now probably the best-in-class plastic kit design and production setup out there right now. They're producing some insanely intricate (for tabletop wargames standards, anyways) kits that fit together with very little flash, warping or adjustment. The Imperial Knight kits for 40k, for instance, practically put themselves together.

I hear you though. The Finecast roll out was horrendous and casting errors became so common as to be features rather than bugs.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Sydney Bottocks posted:

In the never-ending effort to step up my painting and modeling game, I was browsing thru my local Michael's and came across some Winsor & Newton water-soluble oil paints. I grabbed a couple of tubes, and while I'm still doing some experimenting, I have to say that they are potentially a game-changer for me once I work out how best to utilize them. :dance:

Can you mix them with normal oil paint?

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010

Fearless posted:

The Lord of the Rings franchise was hugely lucrative for them and they reinvested a shitload of the profits of that into what is now probably the best-in-class plastic kit design and production setup out there right now. They're producing some insanely intricate (for tabletop wargames standards, anyways) kits that fit together with very little flash, warping or adjustment. The Imperial Knight kits for 40k, for instance, practically put themselves together.

I hear you though. The Finecast roll out was horrendous and casting errors became so common as to be features rather than bugs.

I did build a Valkyrie and baneblade that went together pretty well tbh. I watched a guy purchase a box of finecast stuff and 3 of the models had a defect in them. He repeated the same process twice more and out of 3 boxes didn’t have a complete set of models. I’m kinda glad I sold most of my stuff off because it all got invested in my pc and anything more will go towards hobby stuff like an airbrush setup

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 30 days!

Ensign Expendable posted:

I didn't know they made water soluble oil paints. I just buy the odourless turpentoid, a pint bottle lasts me for about two years.

I didn't either, until literally last night. :v: I was originally going to go the route of using more traditional oils with turpenoid or what have you, but the idea of having something that can be cleaned up with ordinary soap and water appealed to me.

Symetrique posted:

Can you mix them with normal oil paint?

From what I've read, they can be mixed with either oils or acrylics, as well as the various mediums/thinners for both types of paint, too. For example, last night I was just experimenting with a couple of tanks I had basecoated but not worked on, and I mixed some of the water-soluble paint (raw umber) with some water, a drop of Liquitex matte medium, a couple drops of Vallejo black ink, and some Liquitex slow dri, and made a wash. I gloss coated the tanks with some Duracoat polyurethane gloss, and once that was dry I put the wash on them, and it was probably the smoothest wash I've ever used. Hardly any pooling, everything went right into the recesses, and after it dried I was able to remove any excess wash with ordinary rubbing alcohol (used some paper towels or a cheap brush depending on where the excess wash was). I also experimented a little with the "dot streaking" method on one of the tanks, and liked how that came out too. I didn't think to take any pics (the tanks are currently soaking in some LA's Totally Awesome), but I can definitely see why people love doing weathering effects with oils, and I plan to pick up some more in the next couple of days (luckily my local Michael's has a "buy one W&N paint, get one for half off" sale going on).

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I didn't either, until literally last night. :v: I was originally going to go the route of using more traditional oils with turpenoid or what have you, but the idea of having something that can be cleaned up with ordinary soap and water appealed to me.

From what I've read, they can be mixed with either oils or acrylics, as well as the various mediums/thinners for both types of paint, too. For example, last night I was just experimenting with a couple of tanks I had basecoated but not worked on, and I mixed some of the water-soluble paint (raw umber) with some water, a drop of Liquitex matte medium, a couple drops of Vallejo black ink, and some Liquitex slow dri, and made a wash. I gloss coated the tanks with some Duracoat polyurethane gloss, and once that was dry I put the wash on them, and it was probably the smoothest wash I've ever used. Hardly any pooling, everything went right into the recesses, and after it dried I was able to remove any excess wash with ordinary rubbing alcohol (used some paper towels or a cheap brush depending on where the excess wash was). I also experimented a little with the "dot streaking" method on one of the tanks, and liked how that came out too. I didn't think to take any pics (the tanks are currently soaking in some LA's Totally Awesome), but I can definitely see why people love doing weathering effects with oils, and I plan to pick up some more in the next couple of days (luckily my local Michael's has a "buy one W&N paint, get one for half off" sale going on).

I know back when I was hanging out on miniature painting forums a decade ago oil washes where taking off and a few of the guys switched to acrylic oils for their weathering cause it was easier to work with. They were doing some really nice work particularly in the faces of the figures because they require quite a few different colors to make things work properly.
At the same time that was taking off by boss was an artist so he taught me a huge amount about color theory particularly in regards to color transparency and what paints would work together. If I end up doing tanks and aircraft I’ll probably start using some of the techniques again cause they’re fairly interesting

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 30 days!

Dr. Garbanzo posted:

I know back when I was hanging out on miniature painting forums a decade ago oil washes where taking off and a few of the guys switched to acrylic oils for their weathering cause it was easier to work with. They were doing some really nice work particularly in the faces of the figures because they require quite a few different colors to make things work properly.
At the same time that was taking off by boss was an artist so he taught me a huge amount about color theory particularly in regards to color transparency and what paints would work together. If I end up doing tanks and aircraft I’ll probably start using some of the techniques again cause they’re fairly interesting

Yeah, just from messing around with the two colors I got last night, I'm already thinking about getting a larger-scale model and seeing what I can do with the water-soluble oils. I should add (beyond the usual "YMMV, of course" caveat for anyone who read my previous post) that they don't behave 100% like traditional oils might, in regards to drying time. Based on what I've read I'd say they're like 60/40 oil paint/acrylic paint; they dry somewhat faster than traditional oils would, but nowhere near as fast as a regular acrylic paint (again, YMMV). For stuff like wargaming minis and smaller-scale models, I definitely wouldn't replace my acrylics with them when it comes to things like basecoats or highlights or whatnot, but I definitely see their benefits for things like weathering and shading washes and glazes/filters.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Good to know, thanks. I'll probably switch to these in the future.

Ok, ran into two big problems with the SPAD. The H struts were about 1mm too long. I must have not thoroughly test fitted these early on. The second problem, is that one of the H struts kinda disintegrated while trying to test fit it.

Gluing it wasnt gonna be enough, so I attempted to scratch build new ones out of brass tubing.

I (poorly) soldered the frame together, and will use some styrene and ca glue to fill out the struts after I finish cleaning up some of the excess solder and cut them down to size.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Tiny trains guys: Are there diagrams/layouts out there that also explain what to buy? I was looking at N-Scale stuff but it's really overwhelming, and the box sets are both boring and look like garbage you'd never use in a "real" layout. Is that wrong?

Edit: Ideally I'd love to find something that said "This is a layout for a 4x8 board, and we recommend buying this track with this controller and here's some links where to purchase those."

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

doublepostin'

I finished the 1/18 scale pizza I was working on:

Now it's time to make a little box for it.

Kurvi Tasch
Oct 13, 2012

Thats von Derp for you!

ExtraNoise posted:

doublepostin'

Wow! That pizza looks crazy good. What did you make that from?

Unrelated: my next project came in:

Castings look good, but we'll see how much I'll be able to ruin it.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

If you aren't making it while lit as gently caress on vodka then I don't even want to hear about it.

Blight Runner
May 3, 2009

ExtraNoise posted:

doublepostin'

I'm really envious of that detail. Did you deliver pizzas for a local place or a franchise? Curious to see what kind of box it will be. I also understand if you want to avoid making that tiny plastic table that keeps the lid of the box from touching the pizza. I wouldn't have the patience to measure the height and shape it accordingly.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
If I paint a model with some basic acrylic paint, and throw on the decals, what options do I have down the line for weathering? This will be my first time painting, so I'm planning on keeping things simple, but it'd be nice to know I could always improve on it later if I got the urge.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Slugworth posted:

If I paint a model with some basic acrylic paint, and throw on the decals, what options do I have down the line for weathering? This will be my first time painting, so I'm planning on keeping things simple, but it'd be nice to know I could always improve on it later if I got the urge.

Lots?

Do a spray on clear coat (acrylic) to protect everything you've done so far and then go hog wild. You could do oils, enamels, chalk or even pencils. The only thing I'd watch out for is some powered pigments and their fixers from what I've heard are really volatile and can strip to the bare plastic, so trying to remove them (and just them) if you don't like what they did can be dicey.

Personally I like oils because you have ages to fiddle with it before it dries in place and doesn't interfere with the underlying acrylic because it thins/cleans using a different solvent.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Carth Dookie posted:

Lots?

Do a spray on clear coat (acrylic) to protect everything you've done so far and then go hog wild. You could do oils, enamels, chalk or even pencils. The only thing I'd watch out for is some powered pigments and their fixers from what I've heard are really volatile and can strip to the bare plastic, so trying to remove them (and just them) if you don't like what they did can be dicey.

Personally I like oils because you have ages to fiddle with it before it dries in place and doesn't interfere with the underlying acrylic because it thins/cleans using a different solvent.
Cool! I knew I had read some horror stories in this thread about different coats/effects ruining the paint underneath, so that's kind of what prompted my question. I didn't know if different weathering techniques required certain types of base paint, etc.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

Kurvi Tasch posted:

Wow! That pizza looks crazy good. What did you make that from?

Unrelated: my next project came in:

Castings look good, but we'll see how much I'll be able to ruin it.

Why would a civilian airliner need a glass nose?
edit, because the bomber version had one, and it carried a navigator, of course.

yaffle fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Mar 8, 2019

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010

Gotta love engine detailing parts. Time to make the engine on this C9 look like the real thing.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Lol I just did the cockpit decals for the Tamiya bf109 and it's like a completely different experience to the academy kit. The decals just fall into place like nothing. I can't even believe it's the same process. What the gently caress academy :laffo:

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010

Carth Dookie posted:

Lol I just did the cockpit decals for the Tamiya bf109 and it's like a completely different experience to the academy kit. The decals just fall into place like nothing. I can't even believe it's the same process. What the gently caress academy :laffo:

Tamiya do occasionally do dud decals but that’s mostly their older poo poo in my experience. Like all things in this hobby some get it right others get it very very wrong and tamiya isn’t a company that generally gets things wrong

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Yeah I was a little hesitant because the last time I had to deal with Tamiya decals they weren't so great. Then I realised they were from a kit made in the late 80s/early 90s which explained a lot. This kit is from around 2000 and it's easy as hell in contrast.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

The only downside to Tamiya decals is that they tend to be pretty thick.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 30 days!
As a follow-up on my posts about the water-soluble oil paints I've been playing around with, here's a bit of a WIP on a 15mm Plastic Soldier Company T-34/76 turret.

Did the usual steps first after getting the inital painting done (acrylic gloss coat, decals, acrylic gloss coat again to protect the decals, applied paint chipping with a bit of acrylic paint & a piece of sponge, acrylic gloss coat a third time) before doing a shading wash with the oils. Then, after removing any excess wash and letting it sit for a bit, I put some blobs of the oil paints on a bit of cardboard (to soak up the excess oil) and started working on the streaks. Best part was, I didn't need any solvents like odorless thinner, rubbing alcohol, etc. to moisten the brush for the streaking process. Just dipped the brush into the mug of paint water, then got rid of the excess water on a paper towel, and it worked like a charm.

Granted, for some people it might not yield as awesome of results as the more traditional oil paints might, but it works for me, so I'm happy enough. :v:

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

Almost there. Now I have to wait for my order of false eyelash glue to arrive to attach the last bits, and then cut the hair into shape better.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Hairdressing is not a skill I would have thought applicable to our hobby, but here we are. Looks cool.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Please remind me to draw more often.
Soiled Meat

Sydney Bottocks posted:

As a follow-up on my posts about the water-soluble oil paints I've been playing around with, here's a bit of a WIP on a 15mm Plastic Soldier Company T-34/76 turret.

Looks like an effective patina to me. Also that is a much smaller scale turret than most of us would work on.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 30 days!

Scut posted:

Looks like an effective patina to me. Also that is a much smaller scale turret than most of us would work on.

Thanks! Yeah, it's really whetting my appetite to work on something in a much larger scale now; I've found myself occasionally checking eBay for prices on larger-scale T-34s. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Thanks! Yeah, it's really whetting my appetite to work on something in a much larger scale now; I've found myself occasionally checking eBay for prices on larger-scale T-34s. :v:

What, like 1:1 scale?