Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poodlebear
Aug 24, 2006

but if y'all put
feathers on a dog
that don't make it
no chicken
So we know they are coming out with new maps in the future right? I think it'd be cool if they experimented with fresh new concepts outside of the "plains/mountains with things in between" thing BR games have going on right now.

Ok how about the giant rear end cube from the movie CUBE. For those who haven't seen it, basically a series of regular square prisms connected above and below and on the sides. You spawn in a random part of the structure with some minimum distance from any other squad. Maybe the room to room connection types could be randomly generated: normal doorways, indestructible doors, empty hallways. There would be trap rooms, dark rooms, one way mirror rooms where people can watch you without you knowing, rooms that record other squad's voice chats in their last moments alive and play it back to you slowed and down pitched. There might be a (spoiler alert if you haven't seen the movie) an outer surface you can eventually get to and walk around on? Grenades are legendary rarity definitely. Course you wouldn't have a circle coming down on you, but you guessed it a big ANGRY cube. Caustic, Wraith and Mirage squads only.

it's battle royale with cube

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

precision posted:

I've win like 30 times and never been Champion

All those intro quips... like tears in rain

don't self own yourself like this friend

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Can’t buttslide in a cube, no sale

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

priznat posted:

Can’t buttslide in a cube, no sale

The Cube is renamed The Diamond and everything is at 45 degree angles.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
I have to say it's a maximum scumbag move boxes can drop poo poo for legends you don't have unlocked, I have like half the quips for Caustic by now.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Hra Mormo posted:

I have to say it's a maximum scumbag move boxes can drop poo poo for legends you don't have unlocked, I have like half the quips for Caustic by now.

Same, the red dots on the Mirage and Caustic icons mocks me

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I want a map with a massive skyscraper as the central feature with large balcony type roof areas sticking out everywhere so there's some open air for airstrikes and care packages. More large indoor locations in general is all I want out of a new map, caustic needs a new playground.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I think Caustic was a weird one to paywall. If they were really greedy they'd have made Wraith and Bloodhound the ones you had to pay for

Porpoise With A Purpose
Feb 28, 2006

I was once champion in a game right after I was literally the first person to die in the last one. I landed just a second too late on a peacekeeper with another dude.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Some more thoughts about playing during the day EST:

During the day, I'm guessing because a lot of people are playing before work or whatever, but absolutely nobody drops in the latter half of the map (relative to the drop ships starting pos). This makes hot dropping a lot more wild and unpredictable, and makes late dropping incredibly safe. Mix those two facts together and you end up with a lot more variance. Sweaty wannabe streaming stars can get popped on an unlucky Mozambique Drop just as easily as anyone else.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Porpoise With A Purpose posted:

I was once champion in a game right after I was literally the first person to die in the last one. I landed just a second too late on a peacekeeper with another dude.

A Peacekeeper deciding the results of a hot drop you say?

J/k I've had that kind of thing happen with other guns too. Hell last night I got punched to death after I burned an entire clip of a Gold Prowler downing a guy, I had 20 spare ammo and the downed dude's teammate rushed me and punched me out and the impact made me miss with the remaining ammo. I died. Humiliating, but a valuable lesson.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It cannot be overstated how legit of a tactic "rush them and jump kick them in the face" is even when they have a gun. People get spooked easily and flip out, even if you don't get them you've still made them run away and make poor decision points

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

precision posted:

Some more thoughts about playing during the day EST:

During the day, I'm guessing because a lot of people are playing before work or whatever, but absolutely nobody drops in the latter half of the map (relative to the drop ships starting pos). This makes hot dropping a lot more wild and unpredictable, and makes late dropping incredibly safe. Mix those two facts together and you end up with a lot more variance. Sweaty wannabe streaming stars can get popped on an unlucky Mozambique Drop just as easily as anyone else.

100% agree. If there's another squad with me after about halfway across, I am shocked.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

Relentless posted:

The Cube is renamed The Diamond and everything is at 45 degree angles.

The entire map should be one large funnel, at the bottom of the funnel is a procedurally generated waterslide-like tube that goes on forever.

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

Hra Mormo posted:

Think of it the other way around, it would suck if the only (free) opportunities to get stuff for whichever legend you unlocked second was the piddling amount of packs you get past level 46.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

lohli posted:

The entire map should be one large funnel, at the bottom of the funnel is a procedurally generated waterslide-like tube that goes on forever.

It just drops you at a random spot at the top of the map instead of having relaunch balloons and you drop in over and over again.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
I tried out Mirage and the pure joy of bamboozling people makes up for his ult (I didn't even use it) and his passive.

Basscop
Jun 4, 2010

Lightnin? HA! Thats a good 'un!
Now why dontcha
come o'er here and
GET

IN

MY

BELLY!!!

Dren posted:

I tried out Mirage and the pure joy of bamboozling people makes up for his ult (I didn't even use it) and his passive.

Mirage has a passive?

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug

precision posted:

It cannot be overstated how legit of a tactic "rush them and jump kick them in the face" is even when they have a gun. People get spooked easily and flip out, even if you don't get them you've still made them run away and make poor decision points

I've played for about 5 hours total and have ten kills. Half of those kills are me punching people to death who already have a gun in this exact scenario..

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I wonder if the original plan was to launch with 2 maps or more because why bother having it say "playing on kings canyon" if that's the literal only map? Yeah I know, future proofing, but that seems pretty trivia as a thing to patch in WITH new maps rather than before even discussing new maps.

But then they were like "uh guys looks like Anthem is gonna suck a honker, is it done enough to push out the door?"

I just hope that obsessives don't declare one map to be vastly superior to the other(s) and dc whenever they don't get the map they like

I mean I know that's gonna happen anyway but still

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Anyone having connection issues? It seems fine on my end but every game I join my teammates DC before we even start.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Anyone else getting a 1-3 second hang when they type for the first time in a match?

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

precision posted:

I wonder if the original plan was to launch with 2 maps or more because why bother having it say "playing on kings canyon" if that's the literal only map? Yeah I know, future proofing, but that seems pretty trivia as a thing to patch in WITH new maps rather than before even discussing new maps.

But then they were like "uh guys looks like Anthem is gonna suck a honker, is it done enough to push out the door?"

I just hope that obsessives don't declare one map to be vastly superior to the other(s) and dc whenever they don't get the map they like

I mean I know that's gonna happen anyway but still

I think you're overthinking it a bit. They released it when it was done, as is obvious by how polished it is.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

Hra Mormo posted:

I got two Mirage skins and haven't unlocked him. The very game after I got those skins, I lagged and didn't get to chose my legend at the select screen, but I wound up with Mirage even though I hadn't unlocked him! :psyduck:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Probably but it's still funny that this stealth launched right before Anthem

Like the CEO of Coke said when asked if the whole "New Coke, Classic Coke" thing had been planned: "The truth is, we're not that dumb, and we're not that smart."

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

scuz posted:

I got two Mirage skins and haven't unlocked him. The very game after I got those skins, I lagged and didn't get to chose my legend at the select screen, but I wound up with Mirage even though I hadn't unlocked him! :psyduck:

Funny. If you're late for the character selection, it auto selects whatever legend you were messing with in the legends tab last. You can even get duplicate character in a squad that way, but apparently also locked ones!

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Mirage strikes me as a character that was an absolute monster during testing and they gradually scaled him back/limited his usefulness until you have the version at launch.

I have no actual evidence of this but the Ultimate, in particular, feels like something that was iterated on a whole bunch until you have the weird not quite defensive/not quite offensive thing you have now.

Vaah
Dec 25, 2008

:shittydog:

SKULL.GIF posted:

Anyone else getting a 1-3 second hang when they type for the first time in a match?

I believe that's tied to the TTS and STT options. When I had both on to mess around with them, I'd hang for a moment when typing.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
The fact this game is fun with pubbies, fun even if you don't win and you don't even need a microphone to be well co-ordinated should earn everyone who worked on this game a goddamn medal

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

hell I've only ever won with pubbies

Even dropping duos with a friend i find we get hosed more often lmao

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

Songbearer posted:

The fact this game is fun with pubbies, fun even if you don't win and you don't even need a microphone to be well co-ordinated should earn everyone who worked on this game a goddamn medal

This thread has existed for about 30 days, has almost 9k posts, and we're wishlisting the next map and nitpicking a bad ult.

The Anthem thread has existed for 6 months or so longer, has 11.5k posts, and the latest couple pages are... copying and pasting poo poo from Reddit, a Mass Effect battle royale, Star Wars Battlefront II also being poo poo, somebody swearing off ICR and a bolded disclaimer that someone isn't defending Anthem.

Even by SA's incredibly low standards, this game is a goddamn golden child.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

https://hothardware.com/news/nvidia-analysis-gpu-kill-stats-battle-royale-apex-legends-fortnite

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Poodlebear posted:

So we know they are coming out with new maps in the future right? I think it'd be cool if they experimented with fresh new concepts outside of the "plains/mountains with things in between" thing BR games have going on right now.

Ok how about the giant rear end cube from the movie CUBE. For those who haven't seen it, basically a series of regular square prisms connected above and below and on the sides. You spawn in a random part of the structure with some minimum distance from any other squad. Maybe the room to room connection types could be randomly generated: normal doorways, indestructible doors, empty hallways. There would be trap rooms, dark rooms, one way mirror rooms where people can watch you without you knowing, rooms that record other squad's voice chats in their last moments alive and play it back to you slowed and down pitched. There might be a (spoiler alert if you haven't seen the movie) an outer surface you can eventually get to and walk around on? Grenades are legendary rarity definitely. Course you wouldn't have a circle coming down on you, but you guessed it a big ANGRY cube. Caustic, Wraith and Mirage squads only.

it's battle royale with cube

Giant Bomb looked at a Cube-based game recently. I'm trying to find the video but god drat their site is a chore to navigate. It wasn't a BR game but was 100% based on the film.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

This is an incredible example of "correlation is not causation"; the server tick rate is 60/20hz.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

runchild posted:

The game has only been out for a month and already got a new gun. The Battle Pass is very likely coming next Tuesday, and is guaranteed to arrive before March ends according to their roadmap. Octane (and maybe even Wattson) will probably arrive alongside it or soon after. Those seem like better retainment tools then a ranked mode or something, personally.

i think ranked isnt a bad idea but I'm talking about game modes (the game and map is DYING for a protect/kill VIP, CTF and smaller deathmatch arenas).

Its hard to add stuff like that if its gated/pay2play because it breaks up the playerbase double over but they need to make money...

Shampy
Apr 27, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I hope a future map is an abandoned theme park (I was going to say carnival but they’re too small for the size of map they’re probably going for)

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I hope a future map is an active IMC pre-fab housing factory.

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Jokes on them, why upgrade when you can make the game look like a total pile of poo poo and get a bazillion frames anyways?

e: Also there's a way to rotate the minimap but you gotta directly edit the config, why is THIS stuff hidden away

Xenaero fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Mar 8, 2019

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

That article is a poorly written ad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

While I won’t reveal my shame, i will say I’m completely convinced that they’ve stealth nerfed the legendary drop rate in apex packs