Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

my bitter bi rival's coworker posted:

I am at an on-site and their IT guy is saying I need admin access to be able to install a certificate to my computer so I can access [our website]

There's a bit to unpack here, none of it is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Agrikk posted:

If go for “one bit after six” myself.

I'll see you a dollar after 6 pence.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

my bitter bi rival posted:

I am at an on-site and their IT guy is saying I need admin access to be able to install a certificate to my computer so I can access [our website]

There.... just.... I....

:psyduck:

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

ChubbyThePhat posted:

There.... just.... I....

:psyduck:

Enterprise PKI used for the SSL certs on the IIS webhost, non-domain joined machines trying to use it?

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
And I thought my company was bad at certs :psyduck:

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

We have a group that provides a business critical web app that is unusable in chrome now because the pki issued cert doesn't have a common name.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

my bitter bi rival posted:

This is the point at which I just give up and tether to my phone.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

The Fool posted:

We have a group that provides a business critical web app that is unusable in chrome now because the pki issued cert doesn't have a common name.

Welcome to MY ENTIRE ENTERPRISE.

We had a network tool that would only load in older versions of IE or a specific version of Firefox because of a combination of poorly configured certs and a dependency on some Adobe middleware bullshit. One of the network leads posted on the internal message board, "Just downgrade your browser, and you'll be fine!" :psyboom: The entire patching squad jumped on that thread with both feet like Khabib Nurmagomedov eagle-splatting Dillon Danis in the face and told them under no circumstances were they to downgrade anything, and if they did try, our content management agent would re-upgrade it within 15 minutes anyway.

We now have a special term server with downgraded browsers that you have to log into to make changes to the NAC console, because apparently that was smarter and easier than forcing the cert team to do their jobs right.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

We have Footprints running and the cert just expired and was updated. Now I can't access it on my Chromebook (it gives a cert error, possibly from my limited understanding/research because it's a 5 year cert. The error doesn't say why it considers it invalid). What's even weirder (to me) is that Chrome running from my workstation can access it fine.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Our security team told us to add a permanent exception for the invalid Cisco certificate that was shipped with all their WLCs that used 1.1.1.1 despite not owning the address space.

That pretty much tells you all you need to know about both our security and network teams.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Mar 8, 2019

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010

Sickening posted:

Nothing about moving workstation equipment is something I want my teams doing. The current office I work out of moves people very rarely, but when it comes up we have facilities moves everything. Its 2019, nothing involved in moving a laptop or a desktop isn't above the abilities of these guys to do.

We have our equipment and government IT on site - so we can't leave a load of data ports just patched in as you don't know what is required.
Then we have no access to the Gov. stuff and they use sticky ports on their switches so it's easy enough for me/my team to make sure his PC remains patched in to the same socket to save all the messing about but no way Facilities will even touch a patch panel

I don't mind doing it but just give us notice as it is a little bit more involved than just 'pick up and move' - alternatively, sure we can pick it up and move it, then leave... see how you get on :|

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

myron cope posted:

We have Footprints running and the cert just expired and was updated. Now I can't access it on my Chromebook (it gives a cert error, possibly from my limited understanding/research because it's a 5 year cert. The error doesn't say why it considers it invalid). What's even weirder (to me) is that Chrome running from my workstation can access it fine.

I didn't think you could get 5 year certs any more, so that makes me think it's from an internal CA and maybe your Chromebook doesn't have the chain installed?

Also LOL Footprints, what version are you on? I was certified in 11.x and 12.x a couple jobs ago, do not miss it at all.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
ffs

angry user posted:

WHY WON'T IT SERVICE <user's> COMPUTER?!?!

1) it's a Mac that we did not procure and we told you outright that we won't support it.
2) it's 10 years old.
3) it's got a failed raid controller which we've already said you need to replace and you didn't want to spend the money on it.
4) WE loving TOLD YOU THAT IT'S A HARDWARE FAILURE LIKE 3 YEARS AGO WHY THE gently caress IS THIS EVEN A TICKET?

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

kensei posted:

I didn't think you could get 5 year certs any more, so that makes me think it's from an internal CA and maybe your Chromebook doesn't have the chain installed?

Also LOL Footprints, what version are you on? I was certified in 11.x and 12.x a couple jobs ago, do not miss it at all.

It's from an internal CA yeah. I do have the chain installed which is even weirder to me that it complains. It says "the website sent scrambled credentials that Google Chrome cannot process". This is one of the errors where they don't let you continue anyway, I just can't get to it.

Also, it's Footprints 12. It does seem really bad, but from the way people here talk about ticket systems they're all pretty much bad?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

ffs

1) it's a Mac that we did not procure and we told you outright that we won't support it.
2) it's 10 years old.
3) it's got a failed raid controller which we've already said you need to replace and you didn't want to spend the money on it.
4) WE loving TOLD YOU THAT IT'S A HARDWARE FAILURE LIKE 3 YEARS AGO WHY THE gently caress IS THIS EVEN A TICKET?

User response: "Its your job"

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

myron cope posted:

It's from an internal CA yeah. I do have the chain installed which is even weirder to me that it complains. It says "the website sent scrambled credentials that Google Chrome cannot process". This is one of the errors where they don't let you continue anyway, I just can't get to it.

Also, it's Footprints 12. It does seem really bad, but from the way people here talk about ticket systems they're all pretty much bad?

Yes, they are all bad. IIRC I built a PoC of 12 and had to abandon it because you could not hide the other instances from users - we wanted to expose it to the world and there was a bug where the dropdown to see other tenants was available even if you didn't have permissions to view them.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

ffs

2) it's 10 years old.

Sounds like a corollary to, "We just bought 15 of these $20,000 HP boxen, but we can't seem to install the standard Windows image on them!"

1) You bought hardware outside of sourcing
2) You failed to contact us ahead of time to see if it was supported
3) You don't even have imaging infrastructure in your office, so I'm not sure how you even GOT our image in the first place
4) If you want us to support a model, you have to send us one to keep for testing...and you refuse to do so, since they cost 20k apiece

:getout:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

A ticket came in:
https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1104076504751837186
Citrix got nailed by Iran years ago.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Hey IT folks, at what point can I start getting pissed at the IT people at my place of work? I work for a global company that has a huge IT staff. Three months ago I moved from Dev to Client Delivery, but I am still getting blasted with emails to Dev mailing lists. I've submitted three tickets that have all been closed as "complete" asking for my dev email groups to be removed and my new email groups added. Each time a ticket is closed, 15 minutes later I get an email that was sent to a Dev group. What do I need to do to get them to fix my poo poo?

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

but the rest of my team is a bunch of sensitive flowers who can't seem to handle the noise.
Some people have legit natural negative reactions/aversion to certain noises/certain types of noises that they cant help. I dunno the people you are referring to but I can understand if a person cant stand a certain noise because sometimes thats just how their brain works.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Hey IT folks, at what point can I start getting pissed at the IT people at my place of work? I work for a global company that has a huge IT staff. Three months ago I moved from Dev to Client Delivery, but I am still getting blasted with emails to Dev mailing lists. I've submitted three tickets that have all been closed as "complete" asking for my dev email groups to be removed and my new email groups added. Each time a ticket is closed, 15 minutes later I get an email that was sent to a Dev group. What do I need to do to get them to fix my poo poo?

Set up an Outlook rule that forwards all email sent to Dev groups to the IT ticketing email address.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Some people have legit natural negative reactions/aversion to certain noises/certain types of noises that they cant help. I dunno the people you are referring to but I can understand if a person cant stand a certain noise because sometimes thats just how their brain works.

Can you not respond back to those close notices going "NOPE"? If they don't give you the ability to do that then yeah badger them with a redirect until they get it

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Thanatosian posted:

Set up an Outlook rule that forwards all email sent to Dev groups to the IT ticketing email address.

It's this. Do this.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

LethalGeek posted:

Can you not respond back to those close notices going "NOPE"? If they don't give you the ability to do that then yeah badger them with a redirect until they get it
No when they close a ticket it gets locked so I cannot comment on it or re-open it without them getting involved.

Thanatosian posted:

I....I'm not sure about this...

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Thanatosian posted:

It's this. Do this.
O....okay. Maybe if my most recent attempt fails. Everything about this suggestion screams "I'll really piss someone off".

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

No when they close a ticket it gets locked so I cannot comment on it or re-open it without them getting involved.

It's this. Do this.
O....okay. Maybe if my most recent attempt fails. Everything about this suggestion screams "I'll really piss someone off".
[/quote]

You've had three tickets, that people have essentially ignored or failed at.

If you have an option you're going for, go for it, but mention to them that this is your follow up plan if it's not fixed in X amount of time, unless they give a reasonable reason for a delay.

Reason being, pissing someone off might be the only way to fix this.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

quote:

It's this. Do this.

You should not actually do this. File a new ticket, point out that you've been requesting that this be done for three months and that it's still happening, reference your previous ticket numbers in the ticket, ask that it be referred to tier 2 so that someone can take a closer look at why removing you from these lists isn't removing you from these lists.

EDIT: And yeah, advise in the notes of this new ticket that when it is closed, you're going to create an outlook rule that forwards all tickets sent to dev groups to the IT ticketing email and auto-deletes them so you don't see them, so they'd best be sure before they close it.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

It's time to throw them under the bus. Get management involved.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Don't be afraid to piss of people in IT because we never get our way unless you do something MASSIVELY stupid. The kind of stupid that will get you fired immediately stupid. Blasting them with emails they're too stupid to turn off is not in that space at all :sun:

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Wibla posted:

It's time to throw them under the bus. Get management involved.

It's this

Eikre
May 2, 2009
Scene: EIKRE and ABSENTEE SUPERVISOR sit in office at 9:00 in the morning. ABSENTEE SUPERVISOR is on a call with C-LEVEL WITH WHOM EIKRE HAS A POSITIVE RELATIONSHIP, which was in progress since before EIKRE arrived. The office is absolutely silent except for the telephone conversation, which resounds with perfect clarity immediately next to EIKRE's loving face as he sits at his own goddamned desk, and not in, for example, one of the three other empty rooms in the suite that have closing doors.

C-LEVEL [jovial tone]: "Blah blah blah. Do us a favor and bitch-slap EIKRE!"

ABSENTEE SUPERVISOR: "Ho-kay, boss! Will do!" ABSENTEE SUPERVISOR hangs up.

EIKRE swivels in chair, with few clues as to why he is slated for bitch-slapping, but gesturing to his cheek and leaning forward in submission.

EIKRE: "Alright, put it right here, we can start the day right by immediately completing a task."

ABSENTEE SUPERVISOR: "Why are you eavesdropping on my calls? There is a real problem with your professional conduct."

EIKRE: "I mean I wasn't, but then I was specifically mentioned by name."

ABSENTEE SUPERVISOR: "Maybe if I was on a speakerphone then you could find a polite way to ask me about something you heard, but I was not, and this was extremely rude. You shouldn't have said anything."

Oh, of course, my bad. That wasn't a joke that I could get in on to certify it as perfectly inoffensive and maybe use as the segue to rectify some underlying grievance, if indeed it existed. It was actually an invocation of vulgarity and an explicit directive (via communique on corporate equipment between upper and middle management) to conduct a physical assault on me, simultaneously uttered behind my back and brazenly right in front of me, but for which I will be rebuked for addressing. Looking at this through the lens of "professionalism" really put it all in perspective, boss; in the future, I'll strain to comport myself with such mindfulness. I hope you can forgive me for poising such a hostile workplace, what with my eavesdropping and all.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED
You may or may not be aware of this, so I'll point it out regardless: staying in the environment you're describing will do serious damage to your mental state over time. Your supervisor is actively harming you and should be considered your enemy, there is no saving this place, get out.

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

myron cope posted:

For security errors that chrome won't let you bypass normally, you can type thisisunsafe and it'll bypass. Don't ask why I need to know this.

Chrome changes the keyword from time to time, so if you're using it and it stops working one day you can just google for the new one.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

PBS posted:

For security errors that chrome won't let you bypass normally, you can type thisisunsafe and it'll bypass. Don't ask why I need to know this.

Chrome changes the keyword from time to time, so if you're using it and it stops working one day you can just google for the new one.

Oh poo poo, thanks. I'll give it a shot. I remember one keyword being letmein and then it stopped working and I thought they took it out. Didn't think to look for a new one.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Che Delilas posted:

You may or may not be aware of this, so I'll point it out regardless: staying in the environment you're describing will do serious damage to your mental state over time. Your supervisor is actively harming you and should be considered your enemy, there is no saving this place, get out.

Unless the relationship with the C-level is REALLY good and strings could be pulled...

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I've had problems like this in the past with my American and British colleagues.

It's so strange when you come into a situation where you learn something and you confront your superior about it, and instead of discussing the issue, whatever it may be, you get reprimanded for confronting it so directly.

It's all about saving face. You heard it, your supervisor knows you heard it, but by NO MEANS should you ever talk about it except in the most vaguely veiled suggestions lest ye embarrass the superior for being a complete rear end.

As a Dutch person our culture is to be very direct, so I've had to deal with this a bunch of times.

The difference between US and UK btw is that they'll both get mad if confronted with something but the Brit will not respond so directly, rather they will only make subtle, veiled remarks and sabotage you behind your back.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.

Eikre posted:

Oh, of course, my bad. That wasn't a joke that I could get in on to certify it as perfectly inoffensive and maybe use as the segue to rectify some underlying grievance, if indeed it existed. It was actually an invocation of vulgarity and an explicit directive (via communique on corporate equipment between upper and middle management) to conduct a physical assault on me, simultaneously uttered behind my back and brazenly right in front of me, but for which I will be rebuked for addressing. Looking at this through the lens of "professionalism" really put it all in perspective, boss; in the future, I'll strain to comport myself with such mindfulness. I hope you can forgive me for poising such a hostile workplace, what with my eavesdropping and all.

In 90% of the situations I've been in, "be more professional" is usually code for "shut up and put up" and not a demand for actual professional behavior, this is no exception.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
I've got a helpdesk guy who tries to contribute(?) to my phone conversations when he gets an idea of what I'm talking about... I find it immensely irritating. He has a know it all complex and thinks he has something worthwhile to add but mostly I want to be like "I'm perfectly capable of dealing with this, hush"

I would not have jumped in at the point you did there based on you were not supposed to be a part of that conversation weather you heard it or not.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Sounds like a corollary to, "We just bought 15 of these $20,000 HP boxen, but we can't seem to install the standard Windows image on them!"

1) You bought hardware outside of sourcing
2) You failed to contact us ahead of time to see if it was supported
3) You don't even have imaging infrastructure in your office, so I'm not sure how you even GOT our image in the first place
4) If you want us to support a model, you have to send us one to keep for testing...and you refuse to do so, since they cost 20k apiece

:getout:

Comedy option: they bought Itanium boxes.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Do you have access to tactical nuclear weapons?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

feedmegin posted:

Comedy option: they bought Itanium boxes.

On the plus side, they're immune to Spectre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

A ticket came in: approval request for Microsoft PowerApps. Has anyone used this before? I've never heard of it, but I have my morning to test it out and see what it's all about. Figured I'd head off some of that work by asking here too.