Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

rap music posted:

While I won’t reveal my shame, i will say I’m completely convinced that they’ve stealth nerfed the legendary drop rate in apex packs

I think you mean they've increased their earning potential.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
I'm wondering how solos would work and the thought that keeps springing to mind is basically a huge deathmatch map, a mostly indoors paintball style arena with several floors and open areas

Basically it's a hardcore Titanfall match that's over in probably less than ten minutes for the entire round

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
First time getting killed by a definite cheater, there needs to be an easier way to report but I guess accessing the origin overlay works.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
I think CTF would absolutely own with Apex's movement mechanics and legend skills and I hope they consider some smaller playercount/map modes like that.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Bardeh posted:

I think CTF would absolutely own with Apex's movement mechanics and legend skills and I hope they consider some smaller playercount/map modes like that.

Play Titanfall 2.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
"Play Titanfall 2" should be a mandatory law for anyone who lost their faith in shooting games, both multiplayer and single player

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Stan Taylor posted:

Play Titanfall 2.

Good idea! I think it's included with the cheapo Origin access so I've got no excuse not to.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Biggest problem is you can't get a game of Amped Hardpoing (aka Domination) or CTF going anymore, the player counts just don't support it. :(

Also I don't think new players would enjoy playing CTF against the vets....they literally know how to get from the enemy base to their own in under ~10 seconds. Godlike dudes.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

This is an incredible example of "correlation is not causation"; the server tick rate is 60/20hz.

My KDR in every game I played skyrocketed when I upgraded to something that could give me 60fps. Similarly when I over clocked my CPU recently my KDR and KPM went up in BFV almost immediately

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

This is an incredible example of "correlation is not causation"; the server tick rate is 60/20hz.

What exactly does server tick rate have to do with a single thing in that article? Server tick rate has ZERO impact on your personal framerate.

And yes, getting a higher, more stable framerate will result in you playing better. Twice as good? Likely not, but it will have an impact.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Fart Car '97 posted:

My KDR in every game I played skyrocketed when I upgraded to something that could give me 60fps. Similarly when I over clocked my CPU recently my KDR and KPM went up in BFV almost immediately

I'm not attacking the idea that a higher and more stable FPS makes you play better.

Cinara posted:

What exactly does server tick rate have to do with a single thing in that article? Server tick rate has ZERO impact on your personal framerate.

You send updates to the server 60 times a second. You get updates from the server 20 times a second.

What do you think your client is doing on those "extra" frames while it's waiting for updates and/or can't send input? (answer is it depends on the network code and your ping, btw)

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Mar 8, 2019

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Higher FPS makes your gun shoot faster. You heard it here first, folks.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

What do you think your client is doing on those "extra" frames while it's waiting for updates and/or can't send input? (answer is it depends on the network code and your ping, btw)

Are you trying to say that every single frame of data on your computer is sent there by the server with nothing being calculated on the client side(your computer).

Cause you're wrong.

I get that you're a console player and maybe all of these numbers over 30 just don't make sense to you. But you might wanna understand more about framerate before you return.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

VulgarandStupid posted:

One Thousand Voices in Destiny 2 did more damage the higher your framerate was. :toot:

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

VulgarandStupid posted:

:hellyeah:

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

I'm just kidding, I'm not actually sure if higher FPS makes you shoot faster in this game since they have pre-determined recoil but you could easily find out. However, higher FPS makes you more attractive to both men and women alike. Also, don't argue with Megaman's Jockstrap, he's an idiot trash tier player.

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
Higher FPS makes Caustic better

FPS=Farts Per Second.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Increase your cpu speed to make you run faster in the game

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

On xbone having the worst lag I can recall dealing with. Bad enough I actually captured clips because I couldn't believe it. I check the data center list and lo, I have 2-10% packet loss to all of them and for some reason I'm connected to Salt Lake with 110ms rather than any of the sub 50ms options.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Cinara posted:

I get that you're a console player and maybe all of these numbers over 30 just don't make sense to you. But you might wanna understand more about framerate before you return.

You are a person in their 30s trying to play the PC Master Race card on a stranger and it's honestly pathetic.

I've never written netcode, it's true, but I've polled for user input from a keyboard and I know that if your game internally runs at 144 FPS but you're only getting polling input 60 times a second it's not going to do a hell of a lot for your skill to flip around the FPS until it goes below 60 and I stand by that. You may get a knock on effect of perceived smoothness and that's great but we're talking about massively diminished returns. Investing in better Internet (if available) would be way way better.

Now on the other hand if you're polling at 60 and running at 30FPS then yes, get your framerate up. In fact get it to 60 no matter what.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Mar 8, 2019

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

Ammanas posted:

i think ranked isnt a bad idea but I'm talking about game modes (the game and map is DYING for a protect/kill VIP, CTF and smaller deathmatch arenas).

Its hard to add stuff like that if its gated/pay2play because it breaks up the playerbase double over but they need to make money...

Really gotta disagree with you there, if you took out the battle royale what you’re left with is mostly just a gimped version of Titanfall 2. I agree with the devs that the things they changed when transitioning from an arena shooter to a BR made it a better BR, but conversely they would make it a worse arena shooter. It wouldn’t technically be a BAD game. It’d probably still be fun, because Respawn are really really good at making first person shooters. It just wouldn’t be worth it when Titanfall 2 already exists.

Like lots of people have already said, if you think that’s what Apex needs then play TF|2.

John DiFool
Aug 28, 2013

Can we get into mouse sensitivity arguments yet? I’m not going post mine but rest assured it’s better than your settings and I click heads like a pro.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Chard posted:

Giant Bomb looked at a Cube-based game recently. I'm trying to find the video but god drat their site is a chore to navigate. It wasn't a BR game but was 100% based on the film.

if you do find this please post, i'm curious!

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Yowza, Wingman still disgusting. I was avoiding it for a bit, but picked it back up and it's just still a monster.

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Ammanas posted:

i think ranked isnt a bad idea but I'm talking about game modes (the game and map is DYING for a protect/kill VIP, CTF and smaller deathmatch arenas).

Your teammembers are both VIP. Protect them.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough

Xenaero posted:

Yowza, Wingman still disgusting. I was avoiding it for a bit, but picked it back up and it's just still a monster.

the joke going on reddit now is that the nerf just forced ppl to be more precise with their aiming which has made it feel worse

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
The wingman is still the most powerful, versatile, and ammo efficient gun in the game.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

runchild posted:

Really gotta disagree with you there, if you took out the battle royale what you’re left with is mostly just a gimped version of Titanfall 2. I agree with the devs that the things they changed when transitioning from an arena shooter to a BR made it a better BR, but conversely they would make it a worse arena shooter. It wouldn’t technically be a BAD game. It’d probably still be fun, because Respawn are really really good at making first person shooters. It just wouldn’t be worth it when Titanfall 2 already exists.

Like lots of people have already said, if you think that’s what Apex needs then play TF|2.

youre right i need to play tf2

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

You are a person in their 30s trying to play the PC Master Race card on a stranger and it's honestly pathetic.

I've never written netcode, it's true, but I've polled for user input from a keyboard and I know that if your game internally runs at 144 FPS but you're only getting polling input 60 times a second it's not going to do a hell of a lot for your skill to flip around the FPS until it goes below 60 and I stand by that. You may get a knock on effect of perceived smoothness and that's great but we're talking about massively diminished returns. Investing in better Internet (if available) would be way way better.

Now on the other hand if you're polling at 60 and running at 30FPS then yes, get your framerate up.

You should probably take your college paper and wipe your rear end with it because that's all its good for. Tickrate has nothing to do with ROF.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgT_mMS3fuo

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Last Stand hop-up for the Mozambique: When you get downed you can pull it out with three shots left in the chamber

Gun saved

v You'd still miss

Songbearer fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Mar 8, 2019

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Songbearer posted:

Last Stand hop-up for the Mozambique: When you get downed you can pull it out with three shots left in the chamber

Gun saved

Only works on yourself tho

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

dmboogie posted:

if you do find this please post, i'm curious!

Found it, it was about an hour into UPF 3/1/19, the game is called HALF DEAD 2

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Ammanas posted:

Its hard to add stuff like that if its gated/pay2play because it breaks up the playerbase double over but they need to make money...

based on how many players i see with wraith knives, they absolutely do not need to make more money

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
framerate above sixty will not make you game better.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
What is the wraith knife, anyway? Does it just give her a new melee animation?

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Songbearer posted:

What is the wraith knife, anyway? Does it just give her a new melee animation?

It's a low drop heirloom from chests that you can get if you spend enough money to open 500 crates.

It just gives her a new run animation as well as melee

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Let me know when Bloodhound gets a crow melee weapon that pecks the eyes out of the enemies you hit it with

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

VulgarandStupid posted:

You should probably take your college paper and wipe your rear end with it because that's all its good for. Tickrate has nothing to do with ROF.

What is it with 30-something dipshits who post like angry Reddit teens getting insanely mad at things I didn't write? Nowhere did I say tickrate has an effect on rate of fire. Reading is fundamental.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

What is it with 30-something dipshits who post like angry Reddit teens getting insanely mad at things I didn't write? Nowhere did I say tickrate has an effect on rate of fire. Reading is fundamental.

You've also chosen to respond like that too though dude, it's just an internet forum.

I'm now in the same situation with Pathfinder that I am with Wraith.

I don't know how close to that 50 win badge I am.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

please slap keyboards in game instead of at each other.

What Would Pathfinder Do?