Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

iospace posted:

Somehow ended up with a wild Pokerus mon THAT I DIDN'T NOTICE.

Thankfully it didn't expire on me :getin:

My kid and I both caught pokerus in Alola route one. I had to sneakily steal her 3ds to make sure she didn't lose contagiousness. Her strain lasts longer than mine :eng99:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

The White Dragon posted:

pokemon lets go wailord

Wailord makes a cute anime face and leaps onto your shoulder, killing you instantly.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Wailord makes a cute anime face and leaps onto your shoulder, killing you instantly.

Wailord is less dense than air. It more likely leaps on your shoulder and gently nudges you as it floats away.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Escavalier can't be the most honourable bug because he stole that armour from a little kissy boy and turned him into a ninja.

Fureil
Jul 7, 2012
So I played Moon when it first came out and then put away the DS for a while because other games came out that I wanted to play. I think I'm going to pick up Ultra Sun and do a run of that before Sword/Shield comes out. I want to do something different though so I'm taking suggestions. Maybe something like a monotype or a mystery egg run, but I'm open to other suggestions if someone has an interesting idea.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
There's no one running the Ice trial, so you've decided to step up. But first you have to complete the island challenge with a mono ice team!

Fureil
Jul 7, 2012

Solumin posted:

There's no one running the Ice trial, so you've decided to step up. But first you have to complete the island challenge with a mono ice team!

If not for the fact that I only like 2 or 3 ice types (namely because they have been in the Ghost, Dark, and Water monotype runs from previous games), I'd be down. I'm debating trying to find someone who has a bunch of breeding leftovers laying around and see if I can get a mystery set of monotype eggs. Preferably of a type I haven't tried before, and if it ends up being ice then it ends up being ice.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Fureil posted:

So I played Moon when it first came out and then put away the DS for a while because other games came out that I wanted to play. I think I'm going to pick up Ultra Sun and do a run of that before Sword/Shield comes out. I want to do something different though so I'm taking suggestions. Maybe something like a monotype or a mystery egg run, but I'm open to other suggestions if someone has an interesting idea.

Just to warn you the plot of USUM is a serious downgrade, absolutely shits on some enjoyable plot points. I mean if you're playing for the plot anyway. At the very least it's much MUCH easier to grind BP in the surfing game than it is to do the battle tree.

Fureil
Jul 7, 2012

Flopsy posted:

Just to warn you the plot of USUM is a serious downgrade, absolutely shits on some enjoyable plot points. I mean if you're playing for the plot anyway. At the very least it's much MUCH easier to grind BP in the surfing game than it is to do the battle tree.

I figured it had the same story as Moon, so I'm just looking to complete this one so I can use it as the jumping point to move from 3DS to Switch later. Really just wanted to play another Pokemon game to tide me over until Sword/Shield and I'm not feeling like playing Let's GO.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Fureil posted:

I figured it had the same story as Moon, so I'm just looking to complete this one so I can use it as the jumping point to move from 3DS to Switch later. Really just wanted to play another Pokemon game to tide me over until Sword/Shield and I'm not feeling like playing Let's GO.

Take the story of Sun and Moon and make it objectively worse and that's USUM. However it does fill the space nicely and it has a lot of very good mechanics added. Not to mention a side quest which makes it possible to catch multiple good natured ditto if you're into breeding.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Solumin posted:

What would that look like? Crabominable, Glailie/Frosslass, Ninetails, uhhh

Fureil
Jul 7, 2012

Flopsy posted:

Take the story of Sun and Moon and make it objectively worse and that's USUM. However it does fill the space nicely and it has a lot of very good mechanics added. Not to mention a side quest which makes it possible to catch multiple good natured ditto if you're into breeding.

Sad to hear that the story is worse, but the story wasn't anything mind blowing before either. Yes, I am very into breeding. Part of why I want another game to play so I can get back into it. I do already have a ditto of every nature from the old Friend Safaris however.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Flopsy posted:

Also the final boss is complete bullshit.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Flopsy posted:

Yeah. I always feel weird talking about this with anyone but the most hardcore of fans, because lol, Pokemon plot complexity, but I like Sun/Moon is more interesting plot-wise, while Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon is more fun mechanics wise. Sun and Moon is much darker, and some of motivations characters stem from legit mental illnesses, PTSD, etc, and Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon erase those scenes and leave you with the impression that they're implying that the characters are acting the way they do in other scenes because they're just zany and wacky!
But I'm an adult fan, of course I like the more mature character motivations more, but honestly, I still recommend US/UM to people. In fact that's what my sister is doing right now, playing Ultra Sun without playing Sun. And in her case, she doesn't care about the plot points that much, she's much more interested in the cute slice of life stuff. Really, the only problem I have US/UM changing it that much, except for in the case of Lusamine, because it makes Lillie and Gladion look more like brats for running away from home, instead of having to flee from a tyrannical mother with total control and a totally Brain-Control Pokemon Parasite induced unchecked mental illness. It's not enough to recommend Sun/Moon over US/UM to someone, but it does make me glad I played both.

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

SirSamVimes posted:

What would that look like? Crabominable, Glailie/Frosslass, Ninetails, uhhh

As someone who is currently doing an Ice Monotype run of UM: you also have Sanslash, Glaceon, Dewgong, Cloyster, Jynx, Aurorus, and Vanilluxe are catchable in-game. There’s also Weavile and Lapras if you feel like waiting until the rear end end of the game to add something to your team. US/UM are actually pretty good for Ice type availability

Fake edit: I looked it up and Delibird is also available lol

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

RatHat posted:

Also the final boss is complete bullshit.

My only problem with that is the fact that getting my team all up to 55 for the boss made the rest of the game easy. I just beat the E4 and my team are all now around 60.

Looking forward to the postgame stuff that I've heard is so fun.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
More final evolution "leaks"

Obviously 99% chance they're fake but the designs are interesting to talk about. Grookey and Sobble final forms look...weird but fit a Sword/Shield theme. Scorbunny's is just kinda more speed rabbit. I guess they'd be Grass/Fighting, mono Fire, and Water/Steel? I'd be fine with that.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

RatHat posted:

Obviously 99% chance they're fake but the designs are interesting to talk about. Grookey and Sobble final forms look...weird but fit a Sword/Shield theme. Scorbunny's is just kinda more speed rabbit. I guess they'd be Grass/Fighting, mono Fire, and Water/Steel? I'd be fine with that.

Grookey and Sobble's are kinda dumb but I like Scorbunny's

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I don't trust leaks that don't have Sobble's evos double down on his namesake.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Speaking of fan-made Pokemon, a guy on reddit designed Regis for every type and they're awesome

Electric, Water, and Fire
Ghost, Psychic, and Dark
Ground, Flying, Grass, and Poison
Dragon, Bug, Fighting, and Fairy

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
the psychic and fairy ones are extremely dope, the rest I could give or take. esp the dragon which just looks like a mutant Hydreigon

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The fighting one is upsetting.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

RatHat posted:

Sobble grew a golf course on his head

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

RatHat posted:

Speaking of fan-made Pokemon, a guy on reddit designed Regis for every type and they're awesome

Ghost, Psychic, and Dark

Some of these are absolutely horrifying and I love it.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Scrap Dragon posted:

As someone who is currently doing an Ice Monotype run of UM: you also have Sanslash, Glaceon, Dewgong, Cloyster, Jynx, Aurorus, and Vanilluxe are catchable in-game. There’s also Weavile and Lapras if you feel like waiting until the rear end end of the game to add something to your team. US/UM are actually pretty good for Ice type availability

Fake edit: I looked it up and Delibird is also available lol

This is what I was thinking too, though I would also trade in Ninetales-A too.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

RatHat posted:

How in the world is this still happening? It is rare for starters to evolve into "the same, but more." Bulbasaur, maybe Charmander, all of the Gen 2 starters, and like... Turtwig and Snivy I guess? But for certain the past two generations have had final evolutions that look absolutely nothing like what one might expect from their initial form. Plus the art is super stiff and lacking in personality which Pokemon art is usually better at. Sobble's mid-stage is the only one I might buy and even then I don't think they'd abandon his sad boy motif so quickly.

Also, Grookey's final evolution is in profile so you can't see any of his features besides his dumb pants. People think The Pokemon Company would allow that? Is that supposed to be cool or marketable?

I'll take the L if these turn out to be real but they scream fake on every level to me.

Cipher Pol 9 fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Mar 8, 2019

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Also like, it was noted earlier that the designs for the Gen 7 starters had like

notes on them

like concept art does.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.

RatHat posted:

Not a chance in hell it's real cause it would make me choose Scorbunny.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

RatHat posted:

Mmm....yeahhh...these are hideous but also very fake so eh.

Catalina posted:

Yeah. I always feel weird talking about this with anyone but the most hardcore of fans, because lol, Pokemon plot complexity, but I like Sun/Moon is more interesting plot-wise, while Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon is more fun mechanics wise. Sun and Moon is much darker, and some of motivations characters stem from legit mental illnesses, PTSD, etc, and Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon erase those scenes and leave you with the impression that they're implying that the characters are acting the way they do in other scenes because they're just zany and wacky!
But I'm an adult fan, of course I like the more mature character motivations more, but honestly, I still recommend US/UM to people. In fact that's what my sister is doing right now, playing Ultra Sun without playing Sun. And in her case, she doesn't care about the plot points that much, she's much more interested in the cute slice of life stuff. Really, the only problem I have US/UM changing it that much, except for in the case of Lusamine, because it makes Lillie and Gladion look more like brats for running away from home, instead of having to flee from a tyrannical mother with total control and a totally Brain-Control Pokemon Parasite induced unchecked mental illness. It's not enough to recommend Sun/Moon over US/UM to someone, but it does make me glad I played both.

Oh man SAME. Let's be real, Lusamine is as close as one can get in the pokemon universe to being a legit coke addict and how that realistically ended up completely destroying what was left of her family. The candy coating of her abusive parenting left such a bad taste in my mouth. Like they couldn't commit to a female villain and had to try and make her "likable" eugh. The anime was so much worse about it too, I mean I knew they would be but it's just so loving creepy. It's like: sure she's a neurotoxin addicted psychopath who views dominating someone's life in every possible way as "love" but she's HAWT THO. Let's make her goofy and relatable!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

RatHat posted:

God that playthrough would take forever.

Shuckle is good and strong (and can learn Toxic :getin: )

Wait the story of S/M is different than USUM? In what way? I never played Sun and going through US I can’t pick up on anything that’s been thrown in as an extra. The Ultra Recon squad maybe?

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Mar 8, 2019

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Neo_Crimson posted:

Some of these are absolutely horrifying and I love it.

I'm so glad Regimind isn't a giant wet brain.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Wait the story of S/M is different than USUM? In what way? I never played Sun and going through US I can’t pick up on anything that’s been thrown in as an extra. The Ultra Recon squad maybe?

They made the main villain Necrozma and threw out boatloads of character development and motivation for almost all the main characters. Also Lusamine merged with an ultra beast, turned into an eldritch abomination and tried to murder her daughter. She also doesn't understand what she did wrong (Her treatment of Guzma, her children, endangering the region etc.) once she regains consciousness and needs serious medical treatment in Kanto. Lillie essentially becomes her caretaker because she's in such bad shape afterward. So many good scenes were cut but the worst was Lillie standing up for herself finally and basically telling Lusamine she's horrible and that children aren't just things that belong to their parents.

Flopsy fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Mar 8, 2019

Fureil
Jul 7, 2012
So yeah, I've decided to go the monotype mystery egg route. I won't have my DS to until I get back from this work trip this weekend, but I'll post up a FC once I have it if anyone feels like helping out and gathering a set of eggs that all share a type. In exchange I'll trade off my second set of breeding fathers. Basically its 7 males that cover all the egg groups that I went through and got perfect IVs for so you always have a male to start a breeding project with.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Flopsy posted:

I'm so glad Regimind isn't a giant wet brain.

They made the main villain Necrozma and threw out boatloads of character development and motivation for almost all the main characters. Also Lusamine merged with an ultra beast, turned into an eldritch abomination and tried to murder her daughter. She also doesn't understand what she did wrong (Her treatment of Guzma, her children, endangering the region etc.) once she regains consciousness and needs serious medical treatment in Kanto. Lillie essentially becomes her caretaker because she's in such bad shape afterward. So many good scenes were cut but the worst was Lillie standing up for herself finally and basically telling Lusamine she's horrible and that children aren't just things that belong to their parents.

Yeah. USUM has a lot of scenes that are just swapped with lighter stuff. Stuff that stands on it's on, but it is kinda sad what's cut is good stuff, too. Say, when you're catching the Ultra Beasts in the endgame, Sun and Moon goes through a lot of story that makes the Ultra Beasts more dangerous and horrific. They've very alien and dangerous due to them accidentally Wormholes thousands of light years away, and being toxic against Earth (Pokeearth?) life forms by nature. They attack because they're insane from being in an alien environment, and they're seeking out anything or anyone that's been a Wormhole because it feels faintly like the only world they know, but when they realize it's not going to get them home, they go with mad with rage and attack them. Your character is hunting them down with the Pokemon Interpol, with Looker and Nanu (the Dark-type Kahuna), and as the story slowly comes out that, yeah, they asked you to help not just because you were strong, but because you were strong and made excellent bait. They had been ordered to try it before with a person who wasn't strong, and she had been killed and eaten by a Guzzlord; which is most of the Nanu's motivation for being the way he is: suffering from PTSD that came from from people above him totally disregarding the life of him and his comrades.

To compare, in Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon, that scene has the Ultra Recon squad capture Stakataka/Blacephalon with Hau, and then the rest of the Ultra Beasts you can get by wormhole surfing. Looker and his boss lady show up later and are like, "Let's go to the Battle Tree!", and I guess you could just interpret Nanu as a lazy guy who is living his dream of living in a police station as a crazy cat man. In return, you get Hau getting more character development, and pretty much guilt free access to catching Ultra Beasts with good natures to cream the Battle Tree with, which hey, I'm a big fan of.

I would not be surprised at all if someone higher up looked at Sun/Moon at some point and told them to knock it off because this is a game that's supposed to be sold to kids, in literally the most lucrative multimedia franchise in the world.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Catalina posted:

Yeah. USUM has a lot of scenes that are just swapped with lighter stuff. Stuff that stands on it's on, but it is kinda sad what's cut is good stuff, too. Say, when you're catching the Ultra Beasts in the endgame, Sun and Moon goes through a lot of story that makes the Ultra Beasts more dangerous and horrific. They've very alien and dangerous due to them accidentally Wormholes thousands of light years away, and being toxic against Earth (Pokeearth?) life forms by nature. They attack because they're insane from being in an alien environment, and they're seeking out anything or anyone that's been a Wormhole because it feels faintly like the only world they know, but when they realize it's not going to get them home, they go with mad with rage and attack them. Your character is hunting them down with the Pokemon Interpol, with Looker and Nanu (the Dark-type Kahuna), and as the story slowly comes out that, yeah, they asked you to help not just because you were strong, but because you were strong and made excellent bait. They had been ordered to try it before with a person who wasn't strong, and she had been killed and eaten by a Guzzlord; which is most of the Nanu's motivation for being the way he is: suffering from PTSD that came from from people above him totally disregarding the life of him and his comrades.

To compare, in Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon, that scene has the Ultra Recon squad capture Stakataka/Blacephalon with Hau, and then the rest of the Ultra Beasts you can get by wormhole surfing. Looker and his boss lady show up later and are like, "Let's go to the Battle Tree!", and I guess you could just interpret Nanu as a lazy guy who is living his dream of living in a police station as a crazy cat man. In return, you get Hau getting more character development, and pretty much guilt free access to catching Ultra Beasts with good natures to cream the Battle Tree with, which hey, I'm a big fan of.

I would not be surprised at all if someone higher up looked at Sun/Moon at some point and told them to knock it off because this is a game that's supposed to be sold to kids, in literally the most lucrative multimedia franchise in the world.

The plot of X & Y was worldwide genocide and Lysandre was another absolutely crazy motherfucker (actively weeping about how necessary his purge was and the people who needed to be purged were the poor......).They know exactly what they're doing but in order to stuff a bunch of new stuff into the USUM I think they decided the plot was expendable. That's the thing about the games and you can see it in pokedex entries too, there's a whole lot of death and dark stuff in them but you wouldn't be able to tell at a glance. Kinda reminds me of Kirby actually: light on the surface and then you start hitting the lovecraft vibes.

edit: And his invention the Holocaster. Real subtle.

Flopsy fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Mar 8, 2019

Ada
Apr 22, 2014

Practice proper gun's safety.
Give me a Pokemon war game already, Game Freak. You can't just roll out a Poke-nuke in gen 6 and talk about a huge war that happened and not make a game out of it, it's prime material.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Does Pokemon Conquest count?

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Ada posted:

Give me a Pokemon war game already, Game Freak. You can't just roll out a Poke-nuke in gen 6 and talk about a huge war that happened and not make a game out of it, it's prime material.

Everyone forgets about Pokemon Conquest. :(

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

on the other hand, apparently the scene with the Skull grunts who just want to breakdance while surfing on a mantine was added in USUM therefore it's the superior story

Ada
Apr 22, 2014

Practice proper gun's safety.

RatHat posted:

Does Pokemon Conquest count?

Oh drat! Is this game any good, cause I could definitely see myself playing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

RatHat posted:

Ghost, Psychic, and Dark

I would love to make friends with these lovecraftian beasts :3: