Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I guess find a quill rain ASAP too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

quill rain with poison support

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
Quill rain is looking to be very expensive at league start.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Dance Officer posted:

What does very expensive mean for a hyper common unique in a league focused on spells, post last leagues nerf.

I bought a qr 4 hours after start for 4c which was the going rate and id expect the same this time. Yeah maybe if you wait until 24hr itll spike to 10c or something if its on meta (its not) but if your build uses it in endgame ask your friends to pool 4c lol

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Dance Officer posted:

by the time you need it you can afford it, it's an endgame bow for hoag

Svensken
May 29, 2010
Why would you go bow HoAg when you can just put (lesser) poison supp on a storm brand?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Svensken posted:

Why would you go bow HoAg when you can just put (lesser) poison supp on a storm brand?

because it works well?

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Think I'm gonna try out a trapper build this league, flamethrower trap looks cool

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Lightning Trap is very good and it got buffed this patch. In Incursion I was using it for my trapper before switching to Arc traps around level 85, once the secret of how loving broken it was got out.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

Svensken posted:

Bow is the only way to get a 7link lvl 28 Agony, which way surpasses everything else.

I agree tho the quill rain version has perfectly reasonable competitors.

remember
Nov 23, 2006
You can also scour chance a 6l pretty easily using the porcupine cards.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Vasudus posted:

Lightning Trap is very good and it got buffed this patch. In Incursion I was using it for my trapper before switching to Arc traps around level 85, once the secret of how loving broken it was got out.

That sounds good but I like Fire-themed spells more from a thematic viewpoint, think I'm supposed to use Fire and Flamethrower Traps together

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

frajaq posted:

That sounds good but I like Fire-themed spells more from a thematic viewpoint, think I'm supposed to use Fire and Flamethrower Traps together

firetrap rainbow will still wreck face

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

frajaq posted:

Think I'm gonna try out a trapper build this league, flamethrower trap looks cool

You're probably aware of it but check out Octavian's Rainbow Trapper - https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2173888/page/16 Stacking flat elemental to abuse 200% damage effectiveness on fire trap. A lot of the traps got buffed for 3.6 as well.

If I don't start RF I'll probably go this route. Clear isn't as good as the old arc traps but it's still pretty quick.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
Now I'm thinking along the line of vaal double strike glad into molten strike hoag glad, to have better clear early on.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I’m thinking ... purifying flame inquisitor with the new aoe gem?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Wait so with Wave of Conviction, if I'm reading this right, if you did 50% fire/lightning balanced properly you would apply exposure to both?

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

i guess the damage numbers might not line up perfectly when its rolled though, according to rory, so its still rare it'll hit both.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Vasudus posted:

Wait so with Wave of Conviction, if I'm reading this right, if you did 50% fire/lightning balanced properly you would apply exposure to both?

It'll be almost impossible to balance it exactly because heralds and you WANT to be using heralds with this because of its high effectiveness of added damage.

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

ðŸÂ†ðŸÂ†ðŸÂ†

I think I'm switching to a trickster mom/eb selfcast glacial cascade phys->cold->fire build to abuse chaos conversion.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Oh well gently caress that then. I'll probably just do mostly lightning or something.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Any general tips on mom plus EB for inquisitor ?

I’ve never done mom Plus eb before

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

euphronius posted:

Any general tips on mom plus EB for inquisitor ?

I’ve never done mom Plus eb before
MoM+EB is pretty straightforward, it's exactly like MOM except your ES replaces your mana.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

So you can run 100% reserved mana?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I mentioned it earlier but the one notable difference is that chaos still bypasses your es even though it's on your mana so you're not getting the reduction assuming you have all of your mana reserved

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Ah that is an important nuance.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Vasudus posted:

Oh well gently caress that then. I'll probably just do mostly lightning or something.

Its still possible, but you'd have to give up on using all the heralds but purity and stack as much flat phys as possible. For an elementalist though I dont see the point. You either do lightning using a phys to lightning gem and focus on mostly lightning or you equip a hrimsorrow and convert the rest to ice

Converting mostly to lightning makes the most sense to me with the changes to OoS as a potential single target ability but hrimsorrow could be useful if you want to chill/freeze more consistently.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

euphronius posted:

So you can run 100% reserved mana?

yup

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"
So I'm gonna do something new this league, and play co-op with a buddy (goon friend Jabarto). He'll be running the below cursebot and I'll be the aurabot.

Occultist Cursebot: https://pastebin.com/x4PqYiHF
- 4 curses, but only 3 are active because we're not sure what elemental we're going to do
- This is the barebones build, before it switches to CI

Mana Guardian Aurabot: https://pastebin.com/byuJhbv5

My questions for the thread:
- Is there a more effective duo build?
- We're not sure what element we'll be going, hence the minion generic damage nodes. What is a good skill for us to look into? I want one that hits hard and often, so I can proc shared charges.
- I was thinking of Orb of storms combined with the buffed shock or ball lightning? Frostbolt + ice nova?
- Do brands leech?
- These are "homebrew" barebone starter builds I made. Any obvious problems with them?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Normally if you have a curse bot and an aura bot there is a third guy who like, does the damage. You're running two supports just supporting each other.

Osci
Oct 11, 2016
Alright, with 4 hours to spare I've actually managed to decide on a build, kinda.

I have a planned tree for some kind of trickster CI channeling thing, but I can pretty easily swap around what element I'm running.
Right now it's between storm burst, winter orb or CWC incinerate/fireball. All of them should be able to clear and kill bosses, so we'll see what feels best.

I'm just happy I won't have to sit in queue trying to decide what to run this league.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

I'm taking Mathil's FB/Ice Nova build from last league and making it CI. The build, for reference:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjtTcuq3M3k

And my conversion: https://pastebin.com/2z93ii75

Looks like from tree I'm getting 1200 ES, 173% inc ES, and 360 ES Leech. How does that rate?

remember
Nov 23, 2006
He made a CI version as part of his league starters.
https://pastebin.com/SEJvvYDV
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkrvTTEfPN4

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I'm starting to play roulette for my builds like I always do, after having decided on a Bane/Soulrend Occultist days ago. Because of course.

Currently on the wheel:

Bane/Soulrend Occultist. CI (of course) going triple or possibly quad curse.
Pros: Likely extremely high damage, reflect immunity is very good for first characters, very high survivability later on
Cons: Possibly on-meta, making gearing expensive and annoying. Two new skills that mechnically might not be fun or effective. Would go for the same ascendancy choices as every loving Occultist I've ever done.

Toxic Rain Occultist
Pros: TR is still good and is very fun. I would get to spec to Void Beacon / Withering Presence, which I never have done.
Cons: Gear is going to be on-meta, Quill Rain may be annoying to get the first day.

Wave of Conviction Elementalist. Quad herald. EB/MoM.
Pros: Life-based hybrid gear will be cheap. Probably scales really easily. Herald minions are real good for defenses.
Cons: New skill that might mechanically not be fun or effective. Purifying Flame is a backup.

Purifying Flame or Divine Ire Inquisitor
Pros: Probably the best synergy between skills/ascendancies
Cons: Purifying Flame would want the consecrated path ascendancy, Ire would want the crit one.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Vasudus posted:

I'm starting to play roulette for my builds like I always do, after having decided on a Bane/Soulrend Occultist days ago. Because of course.

Currently on the wheel:

Bane/Soulrend Occultist. CI (of course) going triple or possibly quad curse.
Pros: Likely extremely high damage, reflect immunity is very good for first characters, very high survivability later on
Cons: Possibly on-meta, making gearing expensive and annoying. Two new skills that mechnically might not be fun or effective. Would go for the same ascendancy choices as every loving Occultist I've ever done.

Toxic Rain Occultist
Pros: TR is still good and is very fun. I would get to spec to Void Beacon / Withering Presence, which I never have done.
Cons: Gear is going to be on-meta, Quill Rain may be annoying to get the first day.

Wave of Conviction Elementalist. Quad herald. EB/MoM.
Pros: Life-based hybrid gear will be cheap. Probably scales really easily. Herald minions are real good for defenses.
Cons: New skill that might mechanically not be fun or effective. Purifying Flame is a backup.

Purifying Flame or Divine Ire Inquisitor
Pros: Probably the best synergy between skills/ascendancies
Cons: Purifying Flame would want the consecrated path ascendancy, Ire would want the crit one.

The crit ascendancy is pretty bad and you can and probably should run the path ascendancy with both.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Dahbadu posted:

So I'm gonna do something new this league, and play co-op with a buddy (goon friend Jabarto). He'll be running the below cursebot and I'll be the aurabot.

- 4 curses, but only 3 are active because we're not sure what elemental we're going to do

- We're not sure what element we'll be going, hence the minion generic damage nodes. What is a good skill for us to look into? I want one that hits hard and often, so I can proc shared charges.
- I was thinking of Orb of storms combined with the buffed shock or ball lightning? Frostbolt + ice nova?
- Do brands leech?
- These are "homebrew" barebone starter builds I made. Any obvious problems with them?

I want to play with this group

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Ein Sexmonster posted:

The crit ascendancy is pretty bad and you can and probably should run the path ascendancy with both.

Yeah probably, with as many sources of pen these days it's really kind of lost its luster.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dahbadu posted:

- Do brands leech?

My buddy and I (DrTempest) are going to be running a Necromancer and something. Can we play with you?

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Still planning on loving around with full conversion divine ire trickster. I'll probably add in wave of conviction as well. Both will get phys to lightning supports. I figure wave can clear trash, while also applying exposure for lightning. Anything that survives gets to play with divine ire. It seems like it will probably be a reasonable combo.

I know the right starter this league to be a little off meta is probably HoAg, but I dislike dragging along minions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

remember
Nov 23, 2006
I thought I was set with an Ice Trap Sabo but now I'm starting to consider a Double Strike Glad or Champion.