Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/NeoXianWu/status/1101626939364859905

starting in 45 minutes

Big Scary Owl fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Mar 2, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Roluth posted:

So, what's special about Julia? What moves stand out?

She has a 11frame startup mid poke, a 13 frame startup relatively safe low, a safe mid wallbounce move, great full crouch mixups, possibly the best wall mixup in the game, good throws and high damage on her combos, which can carry wall to wall on any stage in the game.

Downsides are average punishing, few dedicated tracking moves, her optimal combos are really hard, and she doesn't have much at all in the way of plus frames

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

Spuckuk posted:

She has a 11frame startup mid poke, a 13 frame startup relatively safe low, a safe mid wallbounce move, great full crouch mixups, possibly the best wall mixup in the game, good throws and high damage on her combos, which can carry wall to wall on any stage in the game.

Downsides are average punishing, few dedicated tracking moves, her optimal combos are really hard, and she doesn't have much at all in the way of plus frames

So, basically a slightly more poke-oriented Lee? From what I'm seeing, she even has a similar pickup tool to Lee's b33. Seems fun!

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Roluth posted:

So, basically a slightly more poke-oriented Lee? From what I'm seeing, she even has a similar pickup tool to Lee's b33. Seems fun!

She's definitely really fun, but I gotta say that her combos, and gameplay in general I guess, are hard. At least for me.

I dunno if it's just because I haven't played Tekken in awhile but man, her d df combos are tricky to get perfectly right and her optimal combos are really tight in terms of spacing during the juggle.

They're very, very satisfying to get right though!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

My favorite thing about Julia is that whiff punishing with party crasher is like EWGF punishing for dumb babies like me. She's the first new char they've released that got me to actually switch off Lili, she's a lot of fun

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
I'm still bad at Armor King's rage drive. When are you supposed to be inputting the throw?

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
I hit greens in under a month with steve. It was fun as hell and I'm happy with myself as it's my first fg. Also I did it without any real combos (that's on me) and losing quite a few ranks due to drinking beers and playing ranked. Tekken is mad fun. Those promotion matches were super stressful. Steve is really cool but his combos are unfortunately quite hard. I'm gonna stick with him the rest of the game as my main main but I'm gonna start trying to actually get good with Negan for a bit. His combos are way less demanding and he's real fun to play.

I tried out Marduk recently because I wanted to use a grappler for awhile to better get down my instinct for throws + the character looks cool. Holy poo poo I'm getting trashed while playing him. Like I win ranked matches and player matches at a decent rate no problem with Lei and Negan despite barely practicing with them, but Marduk gets annhilated. His range is poo poo and it feels like he gets hit by stuff others don't. I might give up and trying to learn him and just get down Negan for awhile.

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

steve rules and is my friend

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

Seltzer posted:

I tried out Marduk recently because I wanted to use a grappler for awhile to better get down my instinct for throws + the character looks cool. Holy poo poo I'm getting trashed while playing him. Like I win ranked matches and player matches at a decent rate no problem with Lei and Negan despite barely practicing with them, but Marduk gets annhilated. His range is poo poo and it feels like he gets hit by stuff others don't. I might give up and trying to learn him and just get down Negan for awhile.

I will Marduk you if you want

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Brosnan posted:

I will Marduk you if you want

I know hes a solid character, he just feels really hard to use comparatively. Are you on xbox?..... I'm assuming no

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Mar 9, 2019

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005
Congrats on getting to greens! My Paul is on the cusp, stopped playing today at Grand Master. I signed up for my first local (CEC in Toronto next Saturday). I know I won't be winning anything but I'm looking forward to the competition.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Kikkoman posted:

Congrats on getting to greens! My Paul is on the cusp, stopped playing today at Grand Master. I signed up for my first local (CEC in Toronto next Saturday). I know I won't be winning anything but I'm looking forward to the competition.

That's cool. Hopefully I'll hit a local soon. I don't know your playstyle but a lot of green and blue pauls I see chase the deathfist all game and its really predictable. I think getting in peoples face first sets up the deathfist later. I'm not a paul player but this is what I've noticed playing against him.

Anyways I got up to expert with negan, about to hit GM. He's weird there's potential but I think hes just above gigas/lars rn. Too early to say and I'm a scrub but that's what it feels like. How often does tekken patch gameplay in general? I think there a few simple things that could really help negan out (for instance apparently his b2 homing hits all male characters on ss but whiffs all females)

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

So what is Julia good/bad at? What kind of character is she?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

She's a oki monster and has crazy high damage potential if you practice her harder strings and learn how to react properly to CH. she also has huge whiff punish range and enormous wall carry. Her downsides are most of her good poo poo is unsafe, so if you mis-space something you're gonna eat poo poo, and the aforementioned combo difficulty. I think her sidestep options aren't great either, but it might be that I just use them enough yet. She's the first character to make me switch off Lili and I love her. It's fun to suck Complete rear end even and just spam party crasher while you're learning her moveset

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening
alright whos the goon who just sent me hatemail for disconnecting on them before i even saw the error on my end

How would they even have seen it so quickly, is my real confusion

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
I realize this is a very general question but can anyone give a brief explanation on what sidestepping is “for” in this game? I really like Lili who apparently has a great sidestep game, but I feel like whenever I try I eat poo poo. Is it something I should only be doing when I’m plus frames?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

porfiria posted:

I realize this is a very general question but can anyone give a brief explanation on what sidestepping is “for” in this game? I really like Lili who apparently has a great sidestep game, but I feel like whenever I try I eat poo poo. Is it something I should only be doing when I’m plus frames?

In simple terms it's basically the same as low/high-profiling a move but instead of countering High/Low hitting moves it counters moves that only track left/right, which is less obvious and something you have to test for yourself.

One simple example of what you can do with sidestepping is you can do Kazumi's df1, which is -4 on block, and then side-step and be able to whiff punish a 10f mid.

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening

porfiria posted:

It's a way of creating very punishable whiffs, in some cases for moves that are dangerous to simply block. It's at its strongest when you have a specific read on a move you wanna dodge (dragunov's big while running punch and leo's mixup stance iare great to use it against, try it in the lab), but unless you're the reads god you'll probably be throwing them out just to fish.

You can make them safer by holding back quickly after the sidestep - you can cancel the dodge motion at any time into a block. Alternately, you can make the dodge more reliable by doing a full sidewalk - doubletap and hold the movement button. Just watch out you don't jump. The timing's pretty specific, and nothing's ever without risk in Tekken, but you you'll surprise yourself by moving around stuff eventually.

Oh yeah - using them during your pressure as an offensive tool is also a thing. If your 1,2 jabs are blocked, and you're at a small frame disadvantage, that's a pretty good time for a quick sidestep into a launcher - if the opponent likes to answer your jabs with jabs of their own, you'll end up dodging them and making them pay for it.

I'm pretty mediocre at Tekken, so someone probably has better advice than all this!

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

porfiria posted:

In a lot of ways sidestepping is similar to a backdashing. While backdashing can cause certain short-range moves to whiff, Sidestepping is most useful for dodging liner moves that don't track/home. There are lots of moves in this game that are safe on block but can be sidestepped for a punish, and ideally you should know all about what moves your opponent has and what can/should be sidestepped versus blocked.

I think this is the match most people point to when they talk about Lili's sidesteps:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sToH3YQxI3g

While frame advantage plays a role in some of the sidesteps Knee makes, the sidesteps that lead to the most damage pretty much all take place during the neutral when there is no advantage/disadvantage. Knee is anticipating and/or reacting to certain pokes that Qudan's is using and sidestepping them for a punish.

Here's another video that might help you out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncCRFrZeAXY&t=95s

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening
I've always thought that Aris video was a bit rough as a tip "for beginners" - knowing what sidesteppable moves are likely to come out of your opponent and when is absolutely a great thing to aim for, but it's gonna be out of reach for a long time while you're still new. Telling people that they should only be sidestepping once they've got that down rubs me wrong. Here's a different video where he gives just about the opposite advice!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lgzDSoGiSA

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

Space Hamlet posted:

I've always thought that Aris video was a bit rough as a tip "for beginners" - knowing what sidesteppable moves are likely to come out of your opponent and when is absolutely a great thing to aim for, but it's gonna be out of reach for a long time while you're still new. Telling people that they should only be sidestepping once they've got that down rubs me wrong. Here's a different video where he gives just about the opposite advice!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lgzDSoGiSA

Personally I don't think the opinions in these videos are at odds with each other but maybe that's just me. There's a big difference between knowing what to do and actually executing on it and that's what I believe Aris is speaking to in the video you linked. Just because you know you can sidestep Drag's WR2 and you've practiced it hundreds of times in training mode doesn't mean you can start doing it in match without the fear that you might gently caress it up and get hit. I don't think its a mistake when near the end he specifically calls out "calculated sidestepping" as being better than blocking. Sidestepping without a purpose isn't going to help you much.

And yea, sorry if I made it sound like you should know everything an opponent can do before attempting to sidestep. The best strategy I've seen to learn Tekken is just to take it one small step at a time. Just knowing or being able sidestep one specific move (like Drag WR2) and focusing on that exclusively for a while is much better than ignoring the mechanic or trying to learn everything in one go.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

The one advantage of learning steve to start is that "sidestepping" is part of his moveset (his left and right sways are 3 and 4 and leads to counter hits, stance transitions and they crush highs etc.) so I've been doing it from the start. I think it's like a lot of things as a beginner, there are two ways to go about it- spending a lot of time in the lab and watching a lot of videos or just watching a concept video and trying to add it to your game online and sees what works. Not that practice mode isn't good but I intuitively got a lot of game knowledge by playing and not being afraid to be owned vs just testing stuff offline.

The one annoying thing is that because tekken is so mechanically deep there isn't a universal sidestep choice. This guide is a good rough estimate that I used a lot
https://tekkengamer.com/2017/06/14/heres-direction-sidestep-characters-tekken-7-pdf-download-also-availa

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Mar 16, 2019

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

I got Negan to greens last night! He's def lowish-tier but hes very fun to play. His F 1+2 armored launcher is probably my favorite tool of his as it's an excellent check against aggressive players. Some general thoughts- all of negans moves that seem real amazing get nullified a lot even at low greens when people have good game sense. Like his b2+2 and 2222. You gotta look into way more pokes and his plus frame moves like b1+2 to make things happen. I still love his ff4 wall bounce though. It's probably the most useable wall bounce I've tried yet and I've won sets just off hitting that into a bounce. I'm gonna look at some actual videos on him now though beyond the basics. Also after never using a real combo with steve it's fun to land actual combos consistently with negan (his are way less demanding).

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Can any Julia players give me tips on how to do shotguns consistently. Or I guess clean up my inputs in general, there's something about the way T7 handles motion inputs that gently caress me up more than any other game

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Seltzer posted:

I got Negan to greens last night! He's def lowish-tier

Not cool.....

yo mamma a Horus
Apr 7, 2008

Nap Ghost

In Training posted:

Can any Julia players give me tips on how to do shotguns consistently. Or I guess clean up my inputs in general, there's something about the way T7 handles motion inputs that gently caress me up more than any other game

i never played her that much but i seem to remember having it be important to hold the DF. maybe it just helped my own execution of it

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

In Training posted:

Honestly the way I get them most consistently is inputting it as a dp and holding df after. Something about inputting d, df in T7 makes it really hard for me as well

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

I'm having this problem where after I hit green I just want to start a new character and try and learn them. I know that will probably degrade my skills with my other characters but.... I kinda wanna try Geese now.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Seltzer posted:

I'm having this problem where after I hit green I just want to start a new character and try and learn them. I know that will probably degrade my skills with my other characters but.... I kinda wanna try Geese now.

Same but I'm at the point where I'm pushing yellow and I don't know if any other character will give me quite the same joy as Armor King does. He feels like the total package.

Plus I did a 104 damage floor break combo the other day and it was amazing.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

CascadeBeta posted:

Same but I'm at the point where I'm pushing yellow and I don't know if any other character will give me quite the same joy as Armor King does. He feels like the total package.

Plus I did a 104 damage floor break combo the other day and it was amazing.

The characters are so unique in T7 that I want to learn like 25% of the cast. I really like steve but sometimes I want to mix it up and maybe find a character I'll like more. I kinda hate the characters that have projectiles but Geese just seems really badass and less cheesy than Akuma.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
What are some tips for dealing with constant, safe pressure? I hit Vindicator on Sunday and it's so much more pervasive in yellow than in greens, and I haven't figured out how to deal with it. Trying to figure out how to poke back against a Heihachi or someone poking me constantly is so tough. It feels like the second I try to poke back on minus frames I get ch launched. I'm playing Armor King so outside of magic 4 and b1 (which requires a really tricky combo to get damage out of), I don't have a whole lot of faster ch options.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

CascadeBeta posted:

What are some tips for dealing with constant, safe pressure? I hit Vindicator on Sunday and it's so much more pervasive in yellow than in greens, and I haven't figured out how to deal with it. Trying to figure out how to poke back against a Heihachi or someone poking me constantly is so tough. It feels like the second I try to poke back on minus frames I get ch launched. I'm playing Armor King so outside of magic 4 and b1 (which requires a really tricky combo to get damage out of), I don't have a whole lot of faster ch options.

If you block a safe but minus on block move and then get counterhit afterwards then you're either tried to use too slow of a move or they had a hard read on you.
Try using faster moves to stop them doing stuff when they have frame disadvantage. Whatever Armor King's versions of generic df1 and d1 are good options if you really have no idea what to do.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Negan is infuriating when playing online. A lot of moves come out real fast and the animations are extremely samey, especially given that he wears dark clothes by default and blends in too much with darker stages. When playing in-person I can sight-read a lot of his bullshit but when playing online there's just not enough reaction time.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

AFashionableHat posted:

Negan is infuriating when playing online. A lot of moves come out real fast and the animations are extremely samey, especially given that he wears dark clothes by default and blends in too much with darker stages. When playing in-person I can sight-read a lot of his bullshit but when playing online there's just not enough reaction time.

"Holy Smokes!"

Jack Trades posted:

If you block a safe but minus on block move and then get counterhit afterwards then you're either tried to use too slow of a move or they had a hard read on you.
Try using faster moves to stop them doing stuff when they have frame disadvantage. Whatever Armor King's versions of generic df1 and d1 are good options if you really have no idea what to do.

It feels like every time I try to use df1 as a stop hitting me button it's too slow, but I guess it has to be used properly. It loses to a lot but I guess keeping starting frames in mind with what they're negative at is the trick.

Boy this game is hard.

CascadeBeta fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Mar 26, 2019

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Do the DLC characters have any story to them?

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Medullah posted:

Do the DLC characters have any story to them?

Not in the game, no, but there's some flavor/lore stuff on the Japanese website. Armor King and Marduk are going to have a Mask vs Career match at some point, probably Tekken 8? Which I'm way into.

You know, in 25 years or whatever.

Edit: Armor King could be the worst character in the game and I'd still play him because he's the perfect encapsulation of a pro wrestling heel. Even his rage drive is something a heel would to do cheat and end a match quickly when they're on the ropes. It's so loving good.

CascadeBeta fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Mar 26, 2019

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

AFashionableHat posted:

I've been maining him now, steadily climbing ranked... uh Negan is a lower tier character and his strings that get big damage are very easy to block even if you get hit by the first part. The only thing/s that come out fast are his jab/jab strings. That's about it. Don't get hit by the second hit of b+2 2, don't get hit by the second part of 2222, and don't get hit by the bat swing after the uppercut in b+1 2. His big dmg stuff gets shut down very quick against avg players and then you have to finish strings very sparingly, do stuff on plus frames or just start moving to his good CH game and launch baiting. The point I guess I'm trying to make is his offense isn't very fast (at least the parts that do big dmg) and to me they look pretty different. Obviously I'm a bit biased.

Anyways the cool tech for him is to use his push after a plus frame move. A lot of players will try to jab out of + frames and his push counterhits leaving you at +55 frames or something crazy. It's a really fun set up.

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Mar 26, 2019

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I wish Julia's magic 4 wasn't impossible to confirm off of for normal gamers

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004
With flaming Canadians and such :(
I played tekken offline this weekend a bunch of games and it was a million times more fun than playing online.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

AFashionableHat posted:

Sidestepping to the right slaughters him. It inexplicably seems to even beat his homing moves a lot of the time