Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.
The runner issue is the most overblown issue right now. If they are genuinely being used to block space then tighten the rules about them being on the ground without dallying. Its not like its impossible to have a secondary interchange steward paying attention to the runners and notifying when necessary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
I remember being at the Sydney/North game at Docklands last year, and when it was getting tight the Sydney runners were constantly filling space, directing players around them to work with them, it was incredibly blatant and obvious from the stands. I’m glad they’re dumping them.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Spedman posted:

I remember being at the Sydney/North game at Docklands last year, and when it was getting tight the Sydney runners were constantly filling space, directing players around them to work with them, it was incredibly blatant and obvious from the stands. I’m glad they’re dumping them.

Then simply make them have to run out and back in a direct fashion otherwise a free is paid.

People complain about runners out of one half their mouth then would bitch when coaches are unable to make tactical changes when needed. Footy fields are loving big, its hard even to convey proper messages 50meters away let alone on the opposite wing.

Rather then wasting thousands on stupid message boards that cant be read, employing one extra staffer to stop runners loving around seems like a far better idea.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Nah runners suck.

Just like Essendon tonight lol

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
This kid is a better commentator than most of the hacks they get to call games.

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
Surely we can fix this problem with drones

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

As bad as Essendon are tonight they pale in shittyness to Geelong's pre-season tshirt.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

Nutsngum posted:

Then simply make them have to run out and back in a direct fashion otherwise a free is paid.

People complain about runners out of one half their mouth then would bitch when coaches are unable to make tactical changes when needed. Footy fields are loving big, its hard even to convey proper messages 50meters away let alone on the opposite wing.

Rather then wasting thousands on stupid message boards that cant be read, employing one extra staffer to stop runners loving around seems like a far better idea.

A whiteboard is like ten bucks at Kmart. The runners can still come on between goals it’s not like the players and coaches are cut off for the entire quarter.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

Nutsngum posted:

As bad as Essendon are tonight they pale in shittyness to Geelong's pre-season tshirt.

actually the shirts are good

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

strap on revenge posted:

actually the shirts are good

:wrong:

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

realbez posted:

A whiteboard is like ten bucks at Kmart. The runners can still come on between goals it’s not like the players and coaches are cut off for the entire quarter.

They are pointless regardless. Anything more complicated then a 5 letter word is going to be illegible from the distance you could shout at anyway.

Look im not sure how many of you blokes still actually play football but the game is far to dynamic in my opinion to restrict messages to "after goals". I have played in games that were won only because player positions were changed up to deal with a specific issue.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
Yeah getting rid of runners is dumb as gently caress, it is up there with conferences for the womens team and making Michael Christensen or whoever it is supreme overlord of all tribunal decisions

You've got 18 young blokes that have had runners since they were kids now having to peer at a teeny weeny screen on the other side of the ground in the middle of a game. Oh and the coaches have no way of ensuring the message was received correctly. Oh and the entire opposition team can now read it. Oh and lmfao at sending any message more complicated than "come off you donkey".

Teams that already have weak on field leadership are going to get fuckin ruined. Like literally all you had to do was penalize runners during a game and if the umpires didn't catch it, fine the poo poo out of people.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Well what was the alternative response to Sydney having gamed the gently caress out of the system non stop for nearly a decade? We got the new interchange system because Sydney were routinely playing 19 on the field at critical junctures too, remember.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Sydney game the gently caress out of anything they can.

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?

NTRabbit posted:

Well what was the alternative response to Sydney having gamed the gently caress out of the system non stop for nearly a decade? We got the new interchange system because Sydney were routinely playing 19 on the field at critical junctures too, remember.

Force them to move back to South Melbourne.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

NTRabbit posted:

Start awarding free kicks or even 50 meter penalities for hanging out on the field then. They will very quickly stop using runners in that fashion if they are penalized in game for it.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Nutsngum posted:

Start awarding free kicks or even 50 meter penalities for hanging out on the field then. They will very quickly stop using runners in that fashion if they are penalized in game for it.

So the solution is to just create more confusing free kicks? And ad more officials into the mix?

I actually think getting rid of constant runners during play will promote the recruitment of genuine footballers over athletes, players who understand the game. And anyway they’ll still be on the field 20-30x a game, and still be able to send out messages with the 90 interchanges a game.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
Most supporters at the game would agree you only need two boards:

JUST KICK IT

MAN UP

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."

The Deadly Hume posted:

JUST KICK IT

MAN UP

DRAG (PLAYER I HATE)

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

The Deadly Hume posted:

JUST KICK IT

MAN UP

BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA (next whiteboard) AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLL

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Spedman posted:

So the solution is to just create more confusing free kicks? And ad more officials into the mix?

I actually think getting rid of constant runners during play will promote the recruitment of genuine footballers over athletes, players who understand the game. And anyway they’ll still be on the field 20-30x a game, and still be able to send out messages with the 90 interchanges a game.

Then just have the steward ban the runner for 15minutes each time they waste time of the field rather then free kicks.

I just dont really understand you people sometimes, you want your coaches having less influence over your team at important times?

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:
Why don't we get a stupid superhero top when the bulldogs do?

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Hmmm, go Bulldogs I guess, to make it easier for Adelaide to make the top two.

EDIT: also so that every single team in one conference has a record as good or better than every team in the other conference.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:
Apparently those were just their warmup tops? That seems pointless

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Yes clubs didn't want to be forced to wear them.

All home teams this round would have worn them but clubs told the afl to cut that poo poo out, so it just became the two home teams playing the doubleheader at docklands today wear them as warmup tops.

Also lol at the bulldogs, had two players out of position at the start of the game, listed as starting on the bench so the game was delayed until they had the correct team list starting the match.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Up the dees

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

That was a fun match to watch imo. Wanted Doggies to win, but it's kinda fun having four teams still in the running.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

The collective group of guillotine candidates are going to announce the grand final is moving to twilight after their meeting on Thursday, to rapturous applause kindly provided by a TV network sound track.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Mar 9, 2019

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Brisbanes techstartup sponsor has not paid them so the lions have canceled the contract.

It also appears soow (the company) has gone broke?

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

drunkill posted:

Brisbanes techstartup sponsor has not paid them so the lions have canceled the contract.

It also appears soow (the company) has gone broke?

Reminds me of when Melbourne signed an energy comparison site which turned out was run by a nazi and also insolvent?

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
I remember that.

Or when Carlton taped off the back of our jumpers because CareerOne/Aquire Learning went broke and still owned the club $1m. Oh funny thing about that, Andrew Demetriou is a shitstain: https://www.smh.com.au/business/companies/uncle-andy-demetriou-grilled-over-role-in-145m-collapse-20190227-p510nu.html

quote:

Former AFL boss Andrew Demetriou was repeatedly warned about the poor financial health of training group Acquire Learning before the company collapsed with a $145 million debt.

On Wednesday, the Crown Resorts director was grilled in the Supreme Court about his involvement in the company as part of a liquidator's inquiry into why Acquire collapsed in May 2017 after receiving tens of millions of dollars in federal government subsidies.

Mr Demetriou was paid $900,000 a year for his three-day-a-week job as executive chairman of the company’s “advisory group”.

Acquire Loan also loaned the former AFL chief $1.68 million to buy shares in the company.

In June 2016, a week before the company received legal advice stating it was on the brink of trading while insolvent, Mr Demetriou requested and received a $150,000 bonus.

He told counsel for the liquidator, Damien McAloon, that he could not remember what the bonus was for.

He also signed off on a director’s bonus and oversaw pay increases for some company directors, including his nephew Tim Demetriou whose annual salary increased to $500,000 in early 2016.

At one stage, Tim Demetriou emailed his “uncle Andy” and asked: “how much are we worth?”.

Mr Demetriou responded: “$1.2 billion to $1.5 billion on a good day.”

Dunno what that money was for.

Hey maybe Essendon got off lucky if Uncle Andy kept forgetting such simple things as what he was paid for and had such terrible paperwork.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Nutsngum posted:

Then just have the steward ban the runner for 15minutes each time they waste time of the field rather then free kicks.

I just dont really understand you people sometimes, you want your coaches having less influence over your team at important times?

I personally want opposition runners having less influence on the game during important times

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Spedman posted:

I personally want opposition runners having less influence on the game during important times

Ah the old "my coach is poo poo so gonna make sure every coach is poo poo" defence.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

I don't know why we need runners anyway. Just have the players learn an elaborate code built out of gestures and physical tics, like Mr. Burns did in that SImpsons baseball episode.

This is a sensible and reasonable option, and I am 100% serious about implementing it.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Nutsngum posted:

Ah the old "my coach is poo poo so gonna make sure every coach is poo poo" defence.

If a coach needs to send out more than 120 messages per game along with 4 opportunities for long conversations during the game, I think a lack of constant runners are the least of a clubs problems

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

I have found my way to Unley Oval, there are many people here, going to watch from the southern end first, go Crows

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Erin Phillips is the greatest Aussie Rules player ever change my mind

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

3 of the 4 Giants goals have come from free kicks charitably described as questionable

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Diving into the legs of a player kicking the ball is not kicking in danger just fyi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

My prediction for next week: we beat Adelaide by enough to overtake their percentage, and then North and Freo play a draw to keep us out of finals

Solemn Sloth fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Mar 10, 2019