Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sigma
Aug 24, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Places with extractive industries usually have well maintained roads and infrastructure because energy companies lobby hard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
:patriot:

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

nsaP posted:

I've never looked into why it is but kentucky is red af and we have some of the best state roads that I've seen. If it's numbered it's redone seemingly at most 2 years, sometimes less. Quick fixes on stuff compared to the closest state I see a lot, Ohio. Cincy is pretty bad.

How often do you get below freezing weather?
PA and Ohio are in a lovely band that gets a ton of freeze thaw cycles, so our roads are cratered pretty much every winter.

Further south (I'm not sure where it starts) you don't really get the freezing, and further north it just stays freezing so you don't really get the thaw as much.

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

Sigma posted:

Places with extractive industries usually have well maintained roads and infrastructure because energy companies lobby hard

Yup, North Dakota has some pretty nice roads overall. i-94 is as close to smooth as silk as a heavily traveled controlled access highway can get, and if you go further north Highway 2 is a drat near pristine road surface. All that oil lobby money gets poo poo done.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

AFewBricksShy posted:

PA and Ohio are in a lovely band that gets a ton of freeze thaw cycles, so our roads are cratered pretty much every winter.

Further south (I'm not sure where it starts) you don't really get the freezing, and further north it just stays freezing so you don't really get the thaw as much.

We get about the same, at least with the roads in Central and Eastern KY that I'm most familiar with. I'd bank on the guy that said lobbying business interests trickling down to the rest of the state - oil, lumber, and rock mining companies probably.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

AFewBricksShy posted:

Same here South-East Indiana near Cincy... After every winter most of the roads in my area look like the surface of the moon. The counties usually chip and seal the major routes every other year, and asphalt patching otherwise.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

AFewBricksShy posted:

Here in Ohio our outgoing governor (Kasich) cut about $500 million in annual state funding to local governments for road maintenance starting in 2014.

As a result, most roads and highways that do not receive federal funding for upkeep have largely gone untouched (beyond filling major potholes with cold patch, or only repaving particularly egregious sections) for the past five years.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Javid posted:

I'm driving across Nevada, and the number of people that will just angrily sit in my rear-view mirror instead of passing on a two-lane road utterly boggles my mind.

We're talking really rural highways, so most of the time there's not a single other car visible between the horizons for me. So I don't know what they expect to happen. I'm not going to suddenly go faster, just go the gently caress around me with the literally infinite amount of space you have to do so. I don't get it.
Oh god, you're giving me flashbacks.

Each time I drive down there, SR93 between Twin Falls, ID and Wells, NV where it hits I-80 is infuriating filled with people that steadfastly refuse to pass. I swear to god, I'd have to pass 5-7 people at the same loving time, each and every trip, because nobody would want to pass the god drat truck in the front doing 10MPH under the speed limit.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Pffft, we got interstates so bad you need to slow to 45 (and not in a no construction zone).

fakeaccount
Jun 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Getting on the highway tonight, I found myself following some dumbass in a nissan rogue with their lights off. I started flashing my highs, but they just didn't get the message. I kept flashing for about a mile before I realized I was better off just passing and getting the hell away from this rolling visibility hazard.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Javid posted:

I'm driving across Nevada, and the number of people that will just angrily sit in my rear-view mirror instead of passing on a two-lane road utterly boggles my mind.

We're talking really rural highways, so most of the time there's not a single other car visible between the horizons for me. So I don't know what they expect to happen. I'm not going to suddenly go faster, just go the gently caress around me with the literally infinite amount of space you have to do so. I don't get it.

You'd be shocked how many people I pass on a 2 lane road that start speeding the gently caress up when I start passing.
In my 100hp/98ft-lb mazda2, this is loving terrifying because I can't out accelerate anyone. The best part is that 9 of 10 don't know they're doing it, they're just loving clueless.

Also, if you don't use turn outs, you're a loving rear end in a top hat. I drive CA-1 on a regular basis and it has like 2 short passing zones over like 100mi. Move the gently caress over.

fakeaccount posted:

Getting on the highway tonight, I found myself following some dumbass in a nissan rogue with their lights off. I started flashing my highs, but they just didn't get the message. I kept flashing for about a mile before I realized I was better off just passing and getting the hell away from this rolling visibility hazard.

I did this to a guy, and he pulled over and was all ready to road rage me. Scary looking dudes too. I just said, "your lights are off" and he immediately chilled and thanked me.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Geoj posted:

I think the biggest issue in Ohio is the terrible condition of the roads owing to this being a red state, with predictable politics/policies.

Recently ODOT pretty much said if nothing is done in the near future we're going to have a major road crisis in the next few years.

Predictably, the state house is quibbling over raising the gas tax by a whole dime, which is down from the initially proposed $0.185 cent hike. And even if it passes we'll likely be back in the same boat in 5-10 years because they dropped pegging the gas tax to inflation.

Gas taxes are regressive as gently caress tho

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
Driving eastbound I-20 in Texas, I see a bunch of tire chunks on the road, and a pickup hauling a light trailer on the shoulder. The trailer has a busted tire on the right side. As I'm approaching and moving to the left lane he gets back on the highway and quickly gets up to 67 or so. Since my truck is limited to 65 I pull in behind him, and give him space because he's still throwing rubber.

The trailer's right side is now riding on the rim at 67mph. After 2 miles, he rolls right past an exit. After another 2 miles the rim gives up and now the axle is throwing a poo poo load of sparks as he makes a second emergency stop, one he could have avoided by exiting at the first opportunity.

As I passed I gave him a 4 second blast from the air horn for pulling that dangerous bullshit.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

You guys complaining about the condition of Ohio roads, have you ever driven in Michigan? They are way, way worse. There are dirt roads in medium sized towns. I’ve seen roads being repaved in Ohio that were in better shape than Michigan roads. There are bridges in metro Detroit where large chunks of concrete just fall off them. I haven’t lived there in a while, but I heard there were places in the Rouge River Bridge on I75 where you could see through the concrete deck.

The conspiracy I always heard when I lived up there was that the Big 3 lobby hard to keep the road repair budget to a minimum so cars don’t last as long, thus keeping new car sales going.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Hell, in Farmington there are subdivisions with houses built in the last 40 years that have unpacked roads. It's wild.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

LordOfThePants posted:

You guys complaining about the condition of Ohio roads, have you ever driven in Michigan? They are way, way worse. There are dirt roads in medium sized towns. I’ve seen roads being repaved in Ohio that were in better shape than Michigan roads. There are bridges in metro Detroit where large chunks of concrete just fall off them. I haven’t lived there in a while, but I heard there were places in the Rouge River Bridge on I75 where you could see through the concrete deck.

The conspiracy I always heard when I lived up there was that the Big 3 lobby hard to keep the road repair budget to a minimum so cars don’t last as long, thus keeping new car sales going.
I have family in Michigan and they gleefully informed me that several governor candidates in the last election(including the one who won) campaigned on fixing the goddamn roads. Whether or not that will translate to actually fixing the roads remains to be seen.

And there are still a handful of gravel roads in medium-sized towns out there, although they're becoming rarer.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

slidebite posted:

Oh god, you're giving me flashbacks.

Each time I drive down there, SR93 between Twin Falls, ID and Wells, NV where it hits I-80 is infuriating filled with people that steadfastly refuse to pass. I swear to god, I'd have to pass 5-7 people at the same loving time, each and every trip, because nobody would want to pass the god drat truck in the front doing 10MPH under the speed limit.

I think some people are either afraid to pass, or consider it "bad". Judging by the number of people who get mad at me when I pass them it's probably mostly the latter.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

My favorite is when someone goes to pass me (with my cruise on), but can't seem to work up the nerve to go faster which is a crucial component of passing.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You just gotta surprise them. Lag back a half dozen car lengths, bury your foot, and be going 30 mph faster them by the time you pass their mirror. For them to block you they're gonna have to be a colossal rear end in a top hat.

Sigma
Aug 24, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Haifisch posted:

I have family in Michigan and they gleefully informed me that several governor candidates in the last election(including the one who won) campaigned on fixing the goddamn roads. Whether or not that will translate to actually fixing the roads remains to be seen.

And there are still a handful of gravel roads in medium-sized towns out there, although they're becoming rarer.

Cash strapped towns are actually un-paving roads:

https://www.wired.com/2016/07/cash-strapped-towns-un-paving-roads-cant-afford-fix/

This is going to become a lot more common in states like Vermont that had low gas taxes for ages and never grew their transportation general fund before the recession. A few years ago there was talk about tearing down and abandoning bridges that we structurally unsound instead of repairing or replacing them

Sigma fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Mar 9, 2019

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

How they solve gas taxes vs. EVs will be a comical exercise of government.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004

Colostomy Bag posted:

How they solve gas taxes vs. EVs will be a comical exercise of government.

Most approaches are based on mileage accrued between registration renewals or similar.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

fakeaccount posted:

I see that every night here in WA. Almost as bad are newer cars that apparently automatically deploy DRLs which are often just one dim headlight and maybe tails, but that's it. I can flash my lights at these people all night long, but if they were observant enough/paying enough attention they'd have their lights on to begin with.
Not a single time has anyone gotten it.

PS: Best are the white/light grey SUVs refusing to turn on any lights in snowy conditions.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

nm posted:

You'd be shocked how many people I pass on a 2 lane road that start speeding the gently caress up when I start passing.
This is by far what I hate the most about my local highways. Empty 4 lane highway on a Sunday morning, I can be coming up on a car doing exactly the speed limit and as soon I start to pass they start to pace me. I think a lot of them are either just passive aggressive road police to zoned out and just accustomed to always having a car beside them. Another thing I hate even more is if the highway is crowded I can be behind a car in the left lane passing a string of cars in the right lane at the speed 66 mph (65mph speed limit) and as soon as lead car in the passing lane gets to a clear spot, they accelerate to 70 or 75mph.

Had my worst road rage incident about a week ago. It was Sunday morning with minimal traffic and I came up on a pack of cars kinda quick, I don't know their speeds but I was going faster. 3 cars in the right lane, a Nissan SUV in the left. I got behind the Nissan and left a good 4 second gap, the Nissan started slowing down to pace the traffic in the right lane. After about a mile the Nissan finally completed the slowest pass ever, I began to resume my previous 75mph, and as soon as I got past the Nissan they accelerated and switched lanes behind me to where they were tailgating me very close. I flipped on my right turn signal and before I could move over the Nissan switched lanes and pulled up beside me. So I decelerated with my signal still on, the Nissan slowed down, getting behind the Nissan wasn't an option
I accelerated to 80mph, the Nissan continued to match my speed right beside me. At that point I had enough and floored my car, got up to about 110mph and that put enough space between me and the Nissan to where I could finally get in the right lane. I maintained this speed just long enough to get a very large gap between me and the Nissan, but that wasn't enough. As I started to decelerated, I noticed I was going 100 and the Nissan idiot was closing on me extremely fast. . . So I mashed my brakes, this had already escalates enough and was only to get worse if I tried to go faster. The Nissan swerved into the left lane St the last second then immediately started going 65 right in front of me. I honked me horn, flipped off the driver and got in the left lane to finally pass him at my desired 75mph. I probablyshould not have accelerated to 100mph, but I tried slowing down and gradual acceleration, all I wanted was to get away from the road rager. Of course, honking and flipping the guy off was totally not necessary too, but after that it didn't escalate again. I'm not proud of what I did at all, all I wanted to do was drive 75 on an empty highway.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

waffle iron posted:

Most approaches are based on mileage accrued between registration renewals or similar.

And how will that be enforced?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I want to say it's not a deliberate, malicious thing, but just subconsciously following the faster car. I notice it a lot too and try to be going a lot faster by the time I change lanes and they realize they're getting passed.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Crotch Fruit posted:

Empty 4 lane highway on a Sunday morning, I can be coming up on a car doing exactly the speed limit and as soon I start to pass they start to pace me.
When this happens if the road's free enough I like to use my cruise control to slowly tick up 1 MPH at a time and see how fast I can get them going.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004

Colostomy Bag posted:

And how will that be enforced?

You pay it every time you renew your registration. Implement some regime where the DMV officials or authorized agents can collect that odometer reading and certify it before a car registration or re-registration and then charge per mile.

Edit: See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle_miles_traveled_tax

waffle iron fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Mar 10, 2019

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
That'll lead to people disconnecting the odometer between inspections.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

dissss posted:

That'll lead to people disconnecting the odometer between inspections.

1999 called, cars don't work that way anymore.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Uncle Jim has a drill no problem

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Elephanthead posted:

1999 called, cars don't work that way anymore.

It's still widely done in NZ with modern Rangers and Colorados and the like.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I guess if you're willing to tamper with the odometer you get to save $17 on registration fees.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

jamal posted:

I guess if you're willing to tamper with the odometer you get to save $17 on registration fees.

And pay thousands in fines when caught

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

jamal posted:

If (as the poster I was replying to suggested) it's to be done on a per mile basis then it could add up to a significant amount of money.

To give you some context diesel vehicles less than 3.5 tonnes pay $68NZD per 1000km travelled. If you're doing big mileage then that's a significant chunk of money, often enough to make running a diesel vehicles uneconomical compared the petrol equivalent.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Previa_fun posted:

Gas taxes are regressive as gently caress tho

The fact that they're talking about anything other than cutting funding for and/or privatizing road maintenance is a win in my book.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
If this ever gets implemented but the US it will be interesting trucking by weight class and axils first and then maybe full electric vehicles down the road.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Crotch Fruit posted:

I probablyshould not have accelerated to 100mph, but I tried slowing down and gradual acceleration, all I wanted was to get away from the road rager.

I got my last speeding ticket in that exact scenario, only it was 2 guys doing it in rotation. I floored it and on my way back down from 100 I got tagged at 85. The jerks who couldn't pick a speed got to laugh at me on their way by.

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries

Crotch Fruit posted:

Another thing I hate even more is if the highway is crowded I can be behind a car in the left lane passing a string of cars in the right lane at the speed 66 mph (65mph speed limit) and as soon as lead car in the passing lane gets to a clear spot, they accelerate to 70 or 75mph.

I don't understand why people do this. I'm trying to do the opposite. I want to limit the times that I'm close to another car and extend the times that I'm not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/AntonioParis/status/1104755714508156928?s=20