Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

esperterra posted:

I might be thinking of Dany lmbo

the day she rides drogo was her 13th birthday, so like a few months of getting raped daily before that, and months after too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

TK-42-1 posted:

yeah there’s chapters out where he commands this huge army and instead he gets ganked by a bunch of mooks with knives in an alleyway

As do numerous members of what's supposedly the best fighting force in the world. Sure, ambushes can be effective but the level of success the Sons of the Harpy have against the Unsullied is ridiculous.

e:

A Typical Goon posted:

Nothing gross has really happened to Sansa in the book at least. Blame D&D for that Ramsay poo poo

Awful poo poo would happen to her in the books if GRRM was ever going to write another one. Even if Harry the Heir turns out normal and she does marry him, Baelish is not going to give up on getting Cat 2.0 until he's dead.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Mar 10, 2019

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
The dumbest thing with the Unsullied was the spears.

In the episode where Dany flies back to Meereen an Unsullied is standing in a doorway, spear lateral, half in, half out.

Good luck swinging it in close quarters, dipshit.

Spears are used in open fields. Not in alleyways. The most elite soldiers in the world would loving know this and have swords as well.

So not only was Barristan's death incredibly poo poo writing, but literally no one on set thought "why the gently caress would they be fighting with spears inside homes and alleyways?

I'm not even remotely a soldier or a fighter and this occurred to me. A shameful show.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

In the episode where Dany flies back to Meereen an Unsullied is standing in a doorway, spear lateral, half in, half out.

Spears are used in open fields. Not in alleyways. The most elite soldiers in the world would loving know this and have swords as well.

So not only was Barristan's death incredibly poo poo writing, but literally no one on set thought "why the gently caress would they be fighting with spears inside homes and alleyways?

I'm not even remotely a soldier or a fighter and this occurred to me. A shameful show.

Season 5 had awful choreography in general. See: sandsnakeflailing.gif

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

This is an incredibly consistent problem with how combat is portrayed in most movies/TV. It's stage fighting. I quite liked Kingdom of Heaven because the combat in it felt far more real to me. GoT fighting was bad to okay, depending on the episode.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

season 1 had some dumb fights too. Like Bron dancing all over the place vs Sir Whatever with the giant rear end shield when he could just deflect this sword once and knock him on his rear end like a flipped turtle in 2 seconds.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

And the Bolton Pike army, which for some reason has a bunch of guys who's only job is shield bearing, to keep the enemy away from the pike weilders I guess? That's what the pikes are for...

Also the Battle of Castle black, where they talk about being undemanned and needing to plan to leverage their strengths etc., and that plan is apparently to have a bunch of 1-on-1 sword fights in the courtyard.

Curious what happens if you try to make a list of the good fights in GoT:

• The Hound vs. Brienne
  • The Mountain vs. Pedro Pascal
  • Jorah vs. random bloodrider

Are there others?

Even when they didn't have swords, when spear armed soldiers found themselves fighting in a city they wouldn't use their full spears, they would just break them in half to make a useful weapon. That the soldiers on garrison duty didn't think to do anything is indeed shameful.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Mar 10, 2019

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

pseudanonymous posted:

This is an incredibly consistent problem with how combat is portrayed in most movies/TV. It's stage fighting. I quite liked Kingdom of Heaven because the combat in it felt far more real to me. GoT fighting was bad to okay, depending on the episode.

There's nothing wrong with stage fighting as such. I don't think on-screen portrayals of fights need to be "realistic" per se; fight scenes are yet another way for characters to interact and show who they are. Look at the fights in The Princess Bride, or most of the ones in the Pirates of the Caribbean movies - they're not realistic, in a rapier duel the realistic outcome is for someone to get skewered and die very rapidly, but they accomplish their purposes far more effectively because of how they're unrealistic.

Of course, there are a lot of really bad stage fights. Bad choreography, bad camera work, stupid decision making, all these are common issues. But I think a fight scene can be great independent of being realistic.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Is the reason so many GOT fights are done in the dark to save money or what?

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Katt posted:

Is the reason so many GOT fights are done in the dark to save money or what?

i think it’s just the gritty factor and darkness hides a lot of sloppiness. more dramatic lighting and poo poo

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

That's a rather boring nitpick.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Sword poo poo takes months of practice.

Sometimes actors train so much they gain an innate ability to learn it faster, like how once you're a decent dancer you learn new dances easily.

So in season 1 everyone is kind of clumsy and editing helps them, but in season 7 Kit Harrington and Jerome Flynn and Gwendoline Christie look more natural because they're now basically dancers with props.

So whenever you have nameless extras against one of these "dancers" the choreography is set at the beginner's level.

Basically what I'm saying is the epic final battle should be the veteran actors with years of choreography under their belts fighting the Others who are all played by Ray Park.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

That's a rather boring nitpick.

It's like a loving mobius strip :stare:

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

I'm changing my pick for favourite character to Roose Bolton. That guy is like the only sensible person in this franchise. Perhaps equal to Tywin Lannister.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Katt posted:

I'm changing my pick for favourite character to Roose Bolton. That guy is like the only sensible person in this franchise. Perhaps equal to Tywin Lannister.

Still salty that he dies like a chump in the show after they gave his best scenes to Tywin.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Sword poo poo takes months of practice.

Sometimes actors train so much they gain an innate ability to learn it faster, like how once you're a decent dancer you learn new dances easily.

So in season 1 everyone is kind of clumsy and editing helps them, but in season 7 Kit Harrington and Jerome Flynn and Gwendoline Christie look more natural because they're now basically dancers with props.

So whenever you have nameless extras against one of these "dancers" the choreography is set at the beginner's level.

Basically what I'm saying is the epic final battle should be the veteran actors with years of choreography under their belts fighting the Others who are all played by Ray Park.

Speaking of, casting dancers to do fight choreo is usually a great fit.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Still salty that he dies like a chump in the show after they gave his best scenes to Tywin.

I never cared much for Roose anyway so seeing him suddenly become a black hole of stupidity and die was quite satisfying for me.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

PittTheElder posted:

• The Hound vs. Brienne

Are there others?

My favorite is the scene where Drogo rips a guy's tongue out through his throat for badmouthing his woman. Quick and effective and not unnecessarily drawn out. All the quips and dialog happen before the actual 1.2 second long fight takes place.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

https://i.imgur.com/aoQOU9j.mp4

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Oh wait I remember my biggest nitpick about the fights in the show, which extends far beyond GoT to be fair: people wear armor, then it proves wholly ineffective for no reason. Like a dude will have a chain hauberk on, and then he'll get sliced in the back with a sword and die.

Katt posted:

I remember reading the books, and while Robb is loving around in the West, Roose has clearly come to some sort of off screen arrangement with Tywin, and then apparently intentionally sacrificing the levies of rival. I just wanted to read more about Roose and Tywin.

The dude who played Roose killed it on the show too which helps.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Mar 10, 2019

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
im not sure that roose had already cut a deal at that point or if he was just other peoples troops killed instead of risking his own but yea, hes a shitlord

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Roose is apparently a complete monster under the surface. Far worse than Ramsay but he keeps it under control in public and hides his deeds well. This give him the appearance of this emotionally dulled or even boring person.

In the books he sometimes talks frankly to Ramsay and he says something along the lines of "You're making me regret raping your mother"

Since GRRM can't help but wank off the ghost of Ned Stark. There's this scene in the book where Catelyn says that Ned never trusted Roose because there was something off about him.

On another note.

The Brienne/Hound fight was loving metal :stonk:

I appreciate that when Jamie saves Tyrion from prison, they removed the part where Jamie asks if Tyrion killed Joffrey and Tyrion confesses that he did out of sheer exasperation. The original scene leaves Jamie heartbroken and sets up a level of animosity towards Tyrion that such a quick comment out of spite doesn't warrant.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Katt posted:

Roose is apparently a complete monster under the surface. Far worse than Ramsay but he keeps it under control in public and hides his deeds well. This give him the appearance of this emotionally dulled or even boring person.

In the books he sometimes talks frankly to Ramsay and he says something along the lines of "You're making me regret raping your mother"

Since GRRM can't help but wank off the ghost of Ned Stark. There's this scene in the book where Catelyn says that Ned never trusted Roose because there was something off about him.

On another note.

The Brienne/Hound fight was loving metal :stonk:

I appreciate that when Jamie saves Tyrion from prison, they removed the part where Jamie asks if Tyrion killed Joffrey and Tyrion confesses that he did out of sheer exasperation. The original scene leaves Jamie heartbroken and sets up a level of animosity towards Tyrion that such a quick comment out of spite doesn't warrant.

The animosity's still there, it just comes in from another vector, because literally right after this Jaime learns that Tyrion killed Tywin, and Jaime not only gave him the opportunity to do so, but also just put him on a boat sailing away to Essos beyond anyone's reach. So yeah, Jaime is super loving pissed at Tyrion after this, it's just a slower burn than in the books.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

I like the three Lannister siblings. I just want all the Lannister children to make up and get a long. I don't even hate Cercei. She means well, she's just really dumb and headstrong :negative:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Katt posted:

I like the three Lannister siblings. I just want all the Lannister children to make up and get a long. I don't even hate Cercei. She means well, she's just really dumb and headstrong :negative:

Unfortunately, Cersei is riding a bullet train to GettingKilledByJaimeburg, and she is not giving up her seat for loving anything. Jury's still out on whether Jaime and Tyrion will patch things up.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Also lol at Jojen ate a fireball.

A franchise wide life of loyalty and devotion to a protagonist and the pension plan is being exploded on a frozen lake.

Katt fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Mar 10, 2019

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Katt posted:

There's this scene in the book where Catelyn says that Ned never trusted Roose because there was something off about him.

-His banner is a skinned man.
-Ned had to specifically tell him to not skin folks alive.
-He's pale because he has himself leeched on a regular basis.
-His house is named The Dreadfort.

Ned, a saavy and wise lord: Hmm, I can't put my finger on it, but I think there's something off about this fellow.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Katt posted:

It's not out of exasperation, it's because Jaime (tryna be a good man and clear the air in case they never see one another again) confesses that he helped Tywin lie about Tysha being a whore. That's when Tyrion lies about killing Joffrey, as well as telling Jaime about Cersei having affairs with Lancel, Osmund Kettleblack, and loving Moon Boy for all he knows. Then he storms off to ask Tywin what happened to his waifu.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

counterfeitsaint posted:

Ned, a saavy and wise lord: Hmm, I can't put my finger on it, but I think there's something off about this fellow.

Nobody's perfect. Ned cheated on his wife. Glass houses Lord Stark.

esperterra posted:

It's not out of exasperation, it's because Jaime (tryna be a good man and clear the air in case they never see one another again) confesses that he helped Tywin lie about Tysha being a whore. That's when Tyrion lies about killing Joffrey, as well as telling Jaime about Cersei having affairs with Lancel, Osmund Kettleblack, and loving Moon Boy for all he knows. Then he storms off to ask Tywin what happened to his waifu.

Oh yeah Moon Boy. How could they exclude him.

I just remembered that The Mountain is supposed to be The Hounds big brother yet the actor playing The Mountain is like 23. Is there a shortage of old muscle heads in Hollywood?

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

If Roose had stabbed Ramsay instead of the other way around it would've been much better.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Vichan posted:

If Roose had stabbed Ramsay instead of the other way around it would've been much better.

That was one of the dumbest plots on the show. The lord's bastard who nobody likes just suddenly stabs his father and everybody's like "ok fine, he's the new boss".

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

counterfeitsaint posted:

Yeah i remember covering the really pedantic ~*world-building*~

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Grevling posted:

That was one of the dumbest plots on the show. The lord's bastard who nobody likes just suddenly stabs his father and everybody's like "ok fine, he's the new boss".

The show really bungled the North and what makes them tick.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Yeah i remember covering the really pedantic ~*world-building*~

Stuff like house Beesbury it's like impossible to parody.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

I like how the show portrays the Eyrie as this impenetrable fortress. I can believe it but if only 3 soldiers can walk abreast to reach the castle then why wouldn't an invading army just post a garrison at the entrance and then just let them starve in there?

Not like they can launch an attack from the castle and hit an enemy in the back then they would have to trickle out their troops a few at a time. Never mind supplies and equipment.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

PittTheElder posted:

And the Bolton Pike army, which for some reason has a bunch of guys who's only job is shield bearing, to keep the enemy away from the pike weilders I guess? That's what the pikes are for...

Also the Battle of Castle black, where they talk about being undemanned and needing to plan to leverage their strengths etc., and that plan is apparently to have a bunch of 1-on-1 sword fights in the courtyard.

Curious what happens if you try to make a list of the good fights in GoT:

• The Hound vs. Brienne

Are there others?

Even when they didn't have swords, when spear armed soldiers found themselves fighting in a city they wouldn't use their full spears, they would just break them in half to make a useful weapon. That the soldiers on garrison duty didn't think to do anything is indeed shameful.

The Hound vs that brotherhood withoiut banners guy, forgot his name, the one with the flame sword. It was a good fight

edit: oh, Bronn's trial by combayt at the Eyrie was very good too

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Mar 10, 2019

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Katt posted:

I like how the show portrays the Eyrie as this impenetrable fortress. I can believe it but if only 3 soldiers can walk abreast to reach the castle then why wouldn't an invading army just post a garrison at the entrance and then just let them starve in there?

Not like they can launch an attack from the castle and hit an enemy in the back then they would have to trickle out their troops a few at a time. Never mind supplies and equipment.

How did they even build the eyrie? It's a fortress on top of a mountain. The path is so narrow you can only take goats up there. For that matter how did they build the wall? The civilization doesn't seem even remotely capable of that kind of organized effort. Though granted it was apparently 8000 years ago, so they could be entirely different then.

Which brings up the fantasy trope of civilizations that don't functionally change for thousands of years, which I really don't understand.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

RIP sir Barristan Selmy. The greatest swordsman that ever lived, who performed like 10 sword swings across 5 seasons before dying to street thugs.

I don't blame him. The actor is like 100 years old and probably has it in his contract that he won't do stuff that risks a hernia :v:

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Katt posted:

RIP sir Barristan Selmy. The greatest swordsman that ever lived, who performed like 10 sword swings across 5 seasons before dying to street thugs.

I don't blame him. The actor is like 100 years old and probably has it in his contract that he won't do stuff that risks a hernia :v:

How awesome would it have been to have Barristan present at the Dragon Pit meeting, though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

pseudanonymous posted:

How did they even build the eyrie? It's a fortress on top of a mountain. The path is so narrow you can only take goats up there. For that matter how did they build the wall? The civilization doesn't seem even remotely capable of that kind of organized effort. Though granted it was apparently 8000 years ago, so they could be entirely different then.

Which brings up the fantasy trope of civilizations that don't functionally change for thousands of years, which I really don't understand.

Magic.

Seriously that’s the answer.