Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Sindai posted:

Chika turned into a Kakegurui character for a minute there.

Actually I want to believe the glowing red eyes were an intentional reference

I feel like that had to be intentional. I like how they handled sick Kaguya too, it's a nice middle ground between normal and the super chibi look from the manga.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

https://twitter.com/Yuyucow/status/1104478523819986946?s=19

:hai:

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I hope to see the eternal continued usage of 'Spin Right Round' at certain times. :allears:

Edit: "I'm Going Home." "Is that Riiiiight? But please don't die on ussss!" "Can you believe her brass!?"
:dunkedon:

Edit: Hayasaka's broken engrish trying to be Irish. How cute.

Grouchio fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Mar 10, 2019

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Grouchio posted:

I hope to see the eternal continued usage of 'Spin Right Round' at certain times. :allears:

Madtrixr
Nov 27, 2010

Grouchio posted:

Edit: "I'm Going Home." "Is that Riiiiight? But please don't die on ussss!" "Can you believe her brass!?"
:dunkedon:

Ishigami's VA really swung for the fences in that scene, it ruled.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Grouchio posted:

Was that what she was doing?
I could only tell that she was speaking like a foreigner; was it specifically an Irish accent in Japanese?

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So would it be broken Ilish?

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

That Fujiwara neck crack makes me surprised that she's not dead.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Grouchio posted:

I don't know how you heard Irish in there. It sounds like regular anime broken English to me.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
It was the usual American accent thing.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

The_White_Crane posted:

Was that what she was doing?
I could only tell that she was speaking like a foreigner; was it specifically an Irish accent in Japanese?
Manga states that she's quarter Irish. And the fake name sounds Irish.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Hayasaka is part Irish but her accent was just a generic foreigner thing.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Also her fake name was based on the Alan Smithee thing that directors use when they don't want their name in the credits, essentially a fancy way of saying "anonymous". Combined with a corrupted version of "Hayasaka".

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

El Burbo posted:

Hayasaka is part Irish but her accent was just a generic foreigner thing.
Pretty much. For example, here's Sayaka Ohara voicing Alice's Mom/Erina's Aunt, Leonora Nakiri, and she does the usual "foreigner speaking Japanese" thing that's been mentioned.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RykIdEj59Ds

The surprise here, however, is that when she eats something sufficiently delicious, she'll bust out all the stops to speak proper Japanese a mile a minute. :3:

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Man remember when Shokugeki no Soma was good?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Mulderman posted:

Man remember when Shokugeki no Soma was good?
I remember the exact moment when the editor had a stroke. Bailed immediately.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

For those of you wondering about the other official sub (Wakanim); Hayasaka's fake name was translated as Haska A. Smith, which I think is much better than Herthaka. And Smirka A. Haski from the official manga translation.

(Wakanim subs are also generally better than Aniplex/Crunchyroll in my opinion.)

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

And the Jag TL rendered it as Haysaca. A. Smithee

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

El Burbo posted:

And the Jag TL rendered it as Haysaca. A. Smithee

If I got to pick one that'd be mine, get that Alan Smithee reference in more explicitly, English sounding last name, and keep the Haysaca, best of all worlds.

I really hope we get plenty more seasons of this fine show, I already know of one super perfect season ender that would work really well told in the conventional anime show way, and not with the current "story A, B, C" format of most episodes so far. I thought leading right in to the follow-up was fun here, and I'd like that gag/method spread across two episodes as it acts like it's doing it's usual break between stories but it just keeps flowing through the same events all tied up to a linear story.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

NowonSA posted:

If I got to pick one that'd be mine, get that Alan Smithee reference in more explicitly, English sounding last name, and keep the Haysaca, best of all worlds.

I really hope we get plenty more seasons of this fine show, I already know of one super perfect season ender that would work really well told in the conventional anime show way, and not with the current "story A, B, C" format of most episodes so far. I thought leading right in to the follow-up was fun here, and I'd like that gag/method spread across two episodes as it acts like it's doing it's usual break between stories but it just keeps flowing through the same events all tied up to a linear story.

Probably in the third season if this ever gets one. (And while we're at that, have subsequent seasons be 2cour please! :pray:)

I'm partial to Haysaca A. Smithee itself... but thinking about it, I think Haska A. Smithee would be ideal for me.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Haska feels more plausible a name then Haysaca.

Fujiwara
blatantly cheating just continues to rule, she's a demon.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Haysaca sounds to me like the laziest possible way to have "hey, it's Hayasaka, but foreign."

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Clarste posted:

Haysaca sounds to me like the laziest possible way to have "hey, it's Hayasaka, but foreign."
Worse than Usui Janai? :raise:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qI5gJ1vWewQ

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Speaking of Hayasaca, man I wish they do the coffee/hayasaca guard chapter to explain Shirogane's sleep deprivation.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Grouchio posted:

Speaking of Hayasaca, man I wish they do the coffee/hayasaca guard chapter to explain Shirogane's sleep deprivation.

They likely won't. Next Episode uses 37, 38, and 40 as the chapters to adapt from, and 40 is the chapter before summer vacation.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Clarste posted:

That's the whole point isn't it?

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNDu2AJDg-U

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009

Zernach
Oct 23, 2012
Posted on the manga thread by mistake already, but I wanted to chime in here too that this is super hilarious and cute. The delivery on the jokes is just :discourse:

The "first time" joke for example slayed me, I mean the joke itself isn't anything original, but the punchline was just done so well.

Now I'm left agonizing if I should read the manga and spoil the upcoming jokes in the anime or just wait until the anime is done and pick up from where it left.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

For what it's worth, the anime is skipping around and cherry picking chapters, which makes sense since most of them are stand-alone stories. But that means you can't just "pick up where the anime left off" since a lot of chapters are being skipped or placed out of order. So if you want to see everything you'll have to read the manga from the beginning anyway.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

That reminded me to see if it had an English release and the answer is yes. Seven or eight volumes out so far.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Zernach posted:

Posted on the manga thread by mistake already, but I wanted to chime in here too that this is super hilarious and cute. The delivery on the jokes is just :discourse:

The "first time" joke for example slayed me, I mean the joke itself isn't anything original, but the punchline was just done so well.

Now I'm left agonizing if I should read the manga and spoil the upcoming jokes in the anime or just wait until the anime is done and pick up from where it left.

I'd wait for the anime to end, it only has a couple of episodes left anyway.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
The anime is mostly focusing on Shirogane and Kaguya so you obviously miss some of Ishigami's backstory and why he's so negative and reclusive. It might get picked up, but arty the current pace I think it'll get skipped over and addressed in the eventual S2

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
it wasn't skipped over, the manga didn't go into the specifics of ishigami's backstory until chapter 80-something or so

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
I'd say watch the anime to the end and then read from beginning. Kaguya-sama gets nicer with each reread because the mangaka seems to do a lot of preplanning.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Didn't realize this was referencing Monthy Python's Life of Brian. I now love it even more. :allears:

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I love that I understand and laugh at that reference even with no caption or context clues

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Folt The Bolt posted:

Didn't realize this was referencing Monthy Python's Life of Brian. I now love it even more. :allears:

:perfect:

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Folt The Bolt posted:

I would've posted it here but I already did in the manga thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIDE0XzT8F8

the part where they do the little 360 dance slays me