Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azuren
Jul 15, 2001

That feel when you roll up a solo cavalier run through the trilogy and it's Chapter 2 but you cleared the entire map and you step foot into the Nashkel mines at level 9 with 1,462 bodies on your conscience.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Can someone make a mod that replaces Bhaal and all references to him including "lord of murder" with Gritty?

Ahh, the child of Gritty has awoken.

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl

Azuren posted:

That feel when you roll up a solo cavalier run through the trilogy and it's Chapter 2 but you cleared the entire map and you step foot into the Nashkel mines at level 9 with 1,462 bodies on your conscience.

If you killed them they were evil and so your guy is probably pretty sanguine about it.

Azuren
Jul 15, 2001

Nuclear War posted:

If you killed them they were evil and so your guy is probably pretty sanguine about it.

I've played before as inquisitors where the M.O. is "pop detect evil, are they red? gently caress it, put em to the sword". Hell, there's that one paladin in the city who does just that, if you have any evil party members. This one though, I'm trying to temper my, uh, murder essence. I've put my foot down and decided that "goading people into a fight they'll lose in order to get the XP and loot from slaughtering them" is not, in fact, a Lawful Good thing to do. Sparing everyone who yields after being beaten. Can't barge into peoples' houses and loot everything that's not nailed down, a classic adventurer staple. Can't lie in dialogues (good times when your choices are 'Uh, yeah, we're $OTHERNAME totally, uh yeah" or "RAAAAARGH BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!!!"). Saving 10% of all income to tithe to the temples of Helm :v:

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Azuren posted:

I've played before as inquisitors where the M.O. is "pop detect evil, are they red? gently caress it, put em to the sword". Hell, there's that one paladin in the city who does just that, if you have any evil party members. This one though, I'm trying to temper my, uh, murder essence. I've put my foot down and decided that "goading people into a fight they'll lose in order to get the XP and loot from slaughtering them" is not, in fact, a Lawful Good thing to do. Sparing everyone who yields after being beaten. Can't barge into peoples' houses and loot everything that's not nailed down, a classic adventurer staple. Can't lie in dialogues (good times when your choices are 'Uh, yeah, we're $OTHERNAME totally, uh yeah" or "RAAAAARGH BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!!!"). Saving 10% of all income to tithe to the temples of Helm :v:

Real question is did you "forget" to track down the owner of the belt you pick up off that ogre south of the FAI?

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Gritty is now Chaotic Evil because in the Hell Trials the demon of selfishness snapped up Edwin, and aside from how nobody's touching my PC's stats and I had 16 rod of ressurection charges in my inventory, its just too hilarious to not immediately own the guy. I kinda wanna EEkeeper it back to CG, because that is frankly not a very fair estimation by the game, but also I've never finished ToB as an evil character and now.... am kinda curious...

He's Thayan, I've been busting maces of disruption through heads like his for half the game now!!

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
Alignment doesn't determine your ToB ending. Your answers to the Solar do.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Oh man, that's even better.

When the game had me slaughter like 200 ghosts of innocent peasants, elves, and paladins in the first trial I was worried, for a minute there. Clearly they were lumpenproles, coastal clickbait thinkpiece freelancers and cops sent to the Abyss in their hereafter.

Azuren
Jul 15, 2001

bike tory posted:

Real question is did you "forget" to track down the owner of the belt you pick up off that ogre south of the FAI?

I dutifully turned it in :angel: Also gonna turn all the illithium ore in for the church and be stuck with the mace of disruption +1. I'm rocking the girdle of slashing with the girdle of bludgeoning as a backup anyway, so I don't miss the girdle of piercing, but it is kinda a bummer being unable to steal the cloak of protection +1 from that farmer's house, so I'm stuck without a cloak until I can buy one in Chapter 5.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
If Cavaliers can use that throwing ax that kills undead then the mace of disruption isn't that big a loss.

Azuren
Jul 15, 2001

I think using throwing weapons clearly violates the spirit of "no ranged weapons" and am not touching them, but you can totally use that axe as a melee weapon :getin: That may or may not have been added by the tweak pack, I haven't played vanilla BG2 in forever.

My goal is to get to level whatever that lets your turn undead pop Kangaxx.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Azuren posted:

My goal is to get to level whatever that lets your turn undead pop Kangaxx.
This is a great goal and I am looking forward to future updates on your quest.

Azuren
Jul 15, 2001

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

This is a great goal and I am looking forward to future updates on your quest.

Upon further reading, Kangaxx may or may not be immune to turning, and paladins may or may not be hard-coded to have their turn undead cap out a few levels below what is necessary, but I vow to try :ussr:

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

I don't think it was in the base game (though I don't remember) but the EEs allow any throwing axe to be switched to melee mode. It means you can get a +1 axe for like 80gp as soon as you arrive in Beregost in BG1.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Azuren posted:

I call shenanigans. Paladins can't reach level 9 in BG1.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Samuel Clemens posted:

I call shenanigans. Paladins can't reach level 9 in BG1.
Trilogy mod solo run?
Could probably outlevel Sarevok before all is said and done in that case.

Azuren
Jul 15, 2001

I'm playing the original games with bgtutu and (some of) the tweak pack, so XP cap is removed. Currently in chapter 5, wrapping up the Baldur's Gate sidequests. Still level 9 :v: IIRC I'll hit level 10 before moving on to the TotSC stuff, never done that stuff solo so not sure how much XP I'll have before importing into BG2. Looking forward to dying in Durlag's, a lot.

Another drawback of not lying: Have to refuse the pantaloons and say you're not the cleaners.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
Kangaxx can be turned by a level 25 or so cleric I believe.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

But can they turn kangaxx....into a friend

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

They can if they're an evil cleric, presumably.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Azuren posted:

I'm playing the original games with bgtutu and (some of) the tweak pack, so XP cap is removed. Currently in chapter 5, wrapping up the Baldur's Gate sidequests. Still level 9 :v: IIRC I'll hit level 10 before moving on to the TotSC stuff, never done that stuff solo so not sure how much XP I'll have before importing into BG2. Looking forward to dying in Durlag's, a lot.

Another drawback of not lying: Have to refuse the pantaloons and say you're not the cleaners.

There's almost more XP in ToTSC than there is in mainline BG1, haha. Durlag's definitely transitions you into the "i-dont-get-out-of-bed-for-under-4000xp" mindset of BG2.

If you play the EE with Siege of Dragonspear uncapped you can coast into BG2 with 700,000 experience and that's WITH a party. The EE's scaling handles it okay, however.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

One of my favourite runs was a C/R Bhaalspawn and T/M Imogen duo, picking up Sarevok in ToB for maximum sibling fun. PC was more than buff enough to tank BG1 Sarevok with a little ranged support from sis after scooping up most but certainly not all available xp.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Willie Tomg posted:

There's almost more XP in ToTSC than there is in mainline BG1, haha. Durlag's definitely transitions you into the "i-dont-get-out-of-bed-for-under-4000xp" mindset of BG2.

If you play the EE with Siege of Dragonspear uncapped you can coast into BG2 with 700,000 experience and that's WITH a party. The EE's scaling handles it okay, however.

This, Durlag's brings you into the XP-confetti D&D. If you want to hit the level cap with a party you have to go through it, bring a good thief though

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Angry Lobster posted:

This, Durlag's brings you into the XP-confetti D&D. If you want to hit the level cap with a party you have to go through it, bring a good thief though

Beating Durlags tower after hitting the wall in regular BG1 makes you basically unstoppable. At that point its "a quest, how much? Dont waste my time peasant" for anything less then 10k exp.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

I definitely remember doing a non-literal spit take when I disarmed a trap for the first time in BG2 and got 1750xp

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I popped in to see the Demon Knight and his Fireball hit my Fighter/Cleric for 72 damage and gibbed both my casters.

:saddowns:

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
And now Sarevok is dead.
I don't know whether the EE tweaked the AI a bit, but I actually had to deal with his cronies (which has never happened before if I've been careful).
And I got a bit lucky with Sarevok himself, as both he and Angelo failed saves against a Wand of Paralyzation (while my main character was frantically running away and chugging potions), after I'd dealt with Tazok and Semaj.

Also, I had to run around the Hidden City for a bit to get enough exp to get my two Fighter multis another Fighter level before the fight. Hordes of zombies and skeletons just 'poof'-ing away with Turn Undead. Lovely.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

kingturnip posted:

I popped in to see the Demon Knight and his Fireball hit my Fighter/Cleric for 72 damage and gibbed both my casters.

:saddowns:

Re-load and say they survived with 1 HP in the ironman thread.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

kingturnip posted:

And now Sarevok is dead.
I don't know whether the EE tweaked the AI a bit, but I actually had to deal with his cronies (which has never happened before if I've been careful).
And I got a bit lucky with Sarevok himself, as both he and Angelo failed saves against a Wand of Paralyzation (while my main character was frantically running away and chugging potions), after I'd dealt with Tazok and Semaj.

Also, I had to run around the Hidden City for a bit to get enough exp to get my two Fighter multis another Fighter level before the fight. Hordes of zombies and skeletons just 'poof'-ing away with Turn Undead. Lovely.

The EE definitely alters a few cheesy behaviors that were time-honored exploits in the vanilla retail release (iirc they also fixed Sarevok's magic immunity not counting toward Magic Missile. RIP.

If you've never played the EE before, there's also just general AI changes overall in terms of ability use and mage spell use. Rogues hide in mid-fight and backstab now!!! :monocle: I'll be the shock of your life when you do good, old-fashioned Animate Dead spam, and then it turns out that Beamdog brought the AI into the 21st century, so now those Evil Drow Clerics.... Turn....

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Decrepus posted:

Re-load and say they survived with 1 HP in the ironman thread.

You joke but I legit had this happen in the last ironman thread

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Azuren posted:

I never finshed this but w/e

Ulvino
Mar 20, 2009

Decrepus posted:

I never finshed this but w/e

Love this. All this Chad Paladin talk brings me fond memories of my first succesful-ish Ironman character: an Inquisitor whose MO was to slay anything that glowed red after popping Detect Evil. After aggroing the entire Werewolf Island and 2 party members dead I was unable to progress the quest and thus forever stuck with the furries.

Oh, and he also fell as a Paladin because BG thinks that somehow Evil can be innocent. :rolleyes:

gently caress it. If/when I fail my current attempt I'm rolling another of those smug bastards. Now I only need a good Cod Piecington-like portrait...

Ulvino fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Mar 12, 2019

Azuren
Jul 15, 2001

I decided I couldn't do the werewolf island because when he asks you to break into the building and steal the charts, I picked the dialogue option that says "I will not steal the sea charts from the Merchant's League! I would be no better than a common... uh, well, merchant, I suppose." :( Even if you agree, the options are either to lie, or murder 20 guards in an armed robbery, anyway.

Other biggest thing I missed out on was Ramazith's ring of protection +2, since I had to refuse his quest. Freed the nymph but he won't talk to me after that, and it feels wrong to just cut him down in the middle of the street in broad daylight.

Just cleared Durlag's level 2, moving on to level 3. Decent going so far, eating lots of trap damage but such is life. Only fight I missed out on was the doomguards at Kiel's tomb, even with potion of fire giant strength + DUHM for 25 str, couldn't bash the chest open.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
I picked up an old NWN2 save from a couple years ago because I had the itch and didn’t feel like going through the interminable opening sequence again. Turns out I have a level 7 dual wielding ranger with a raptor companion, just starting the City Watch quests. I don’t remember ever playing the game past just getting to Neverwinter, so a lot of this is new to me.

I’m sure I’m not blowing anyone’s mind, but this games difficulty is broken. If I bring Qara and rest after every fight, i can just spam ice storm and fireball until everything is dead. Higher level spell slots will be even nastier.

Companion side quests can be ignored until I want to finish them, right? I’m supposed to go steal a coin for Neeshka, but I got more important things to do.

Neverwinter feels super small. I didn’t expect Novigrad or anything, but it’s like a hamlet with huge buildings. Oh yeah, Lord Neverwinter is a dick.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

I hope you're ready for a grand milquetoast adventure until motb

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

I hope you're ready for a grand milquetoast adventure until motb

That’s actually my goal. I’ve cold started MotB before, but it feels like starting Throne of Bhaal without ever beating BG1 or BG2. I feel like I have to earn those levels.

no thanks
Jun 18, 2008
NWN 2 has its high points. These are mostly in the middle third of the game, like the Keep, Shandra, the trial, etc. Unfortunately you're nowhere near those yet and have still got plenty of slogging through bladelings and orcs before you get to the good stuff. And it dips again towards the end, then goes off a cliff at the finale.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

There are some doughy bits of NWN2 but they're bunched up at the front imo. Once you get to Neverwinter you're at the D&D sweet spot level range, the plot starts happening, and you've proven you can tolerate the UI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OutofSight
May 4, 2017
It was kind of a fun romp through the NWN2 main campaign with one of new prestige classes from Storm of Zehir: Doomguard of Kelemvor.
All those delicious undead to be turned.

And then you can ride into the MotB story in style...