Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

i had SVT and it was basically that. hoping it's nothing much more serious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
For us it's Schoolies. Never fails every year. Our crop of 17 year olds go to schoolies, then they return as plague carriers and spread colds and flus everywhere.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
My old gig suucked for sickness. I worked nights and weekends, both of which you are the only person on site, and are replaced by one person at the end of that shift. If they call in sick, you are hosed.

I'm sure it's a feature, not a bug though.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Aniodia posted:

So all this sick time discussion's actually been fairly relevant to me lately. Last weekend was one of the local college's annual nerd convention, and while I am older than a lot of the people there, I still go to hang out, see the various guests they might have, check out the cosplay contests, etc. To put it in perspective, over the past nearly-decade-and-a-half I've been going, they've gotten people like Vic Mignogna (right when FMA was first coming out in the US), Johnny Yong Bosch, and this year was Veronica Taylor, who did the voice of Ash for the first 8 years of Pokemon (among many many others).

However, as with all conventions, I ended up catching the con plague, and wasn't terribly healthy by the time last Thursday rolled around. However, to top things off, I'd come in to close at work, only to find the store already closed. My opener never showed, and I wasn't super thrilled about a no-call no-show. However, after I'd closed and gone home for the night, I'd gotten a text message from my opener, apologizing for not coming in and showing me that they were still hooked up to machines at a local hospital. Apparently, something had happened where their heart rate had climbed to around 240 beats per minute, they'd ended up at the hospital trying to figure out what was going on, and only that night was when they were able to shoot me a text after a bunch of IVs had been removed from their arms.

So now, while I'm not happy they didn't have someone get in touch with me in the meantime, I'm also not going to fault them for almost having their heart explode and going to the hospital to see wtf was going on. I also wasn't going to have them hop on out of their hospital bed in the morning, either, so I popped a couple Benadryl to be able to breathe, chugged a couple of energy drinks to attempt to stay awake while the Benadryl did it's job, and grabbed a spare face mask so I wouldn't breathe germs everywhere at work.

none of us still know what the hell happened to cause that heart rate spike, though, so while my opener is technically back to work, I'm definitely not having them bust their rear end as much as they were, and trying to limit them to lifting only really light loads (so a boxed system, tops). Hopefully it was some weird combination of things that really only happened the once, and never again, but until they find out what caused the incident and can inform me as to what they need to avoid so it won't happen again, I'm not really gonna take any chances.

I'm going to a big nerd con at the end of the month (PAX East), and scheduled the week after off specifically because of con plague. I've never gotten it myself, but I know the first year I don't schedule a week off after, I'll get it with a vengeance.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Lemme get this straight. I am listed as unavailable from 4p-12a on Monday and Wednesday because I have night classes. So it's my eleventh week at my job and I'm in trouble for not having my availability marked down when it mysteriously was before. Someone changed this on purpose.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Lol.i halbve already saod i inferno circstances wanttpgback

Star Man posted:

Lemme get this straight. I am listed as unavailable from 4p-12a on Monday and Wednesday because I have night classes. So it's my eleventh week at my job and I'm in trouble for not having my availability marked down when it mysteriously was before. Someone changed this on purpose.

It could just as easily be the stupid lovely software or a manager that doesn't know how to use it and just mashed keys until a schedule happened.

Now, if you get dinged again in short order, someone's looking to put you out.

Pentaghastly
Mar 26, 2016
Someone tell me why I'm getting a write-up for telling a male barista who called a female barista a "lazy bitch" to clock out and get off my loving floor

Was the f-bomb too much?

BULLETKISS
Jul 3, 2003

Pentaghastly posted:

Someone tell me why I'm getting a write-up for telling a male barista who called a female barista a "lazy bitch" to clock out and get off my loving floor

Was the f-bomb too much?

I'd like to know their reasoning!

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Pentaghastly posted:

Was the f-bomb too much?

Sadly, yes, the F-Bomb makes you liable too. I’m not justifying it, but HR isn’t gonna take your side on anything remotely controversial.

I got a write up for something similar years ago when I managed at ATT, so I totally sympathize with this. You try to make a point, but they use the words against you.

Pentaghastly
Mar 26, 2016

BULLETKISS posted:

I'd like to know their reasoning!

I used profanity on the floor and customers could have heard me.

The write-up itself doesn't bother me, its only an issue if I'm trying to transfer stores which I don't plan on doing.

I should mention that the guy got written up, too. And the female barista did not, even if she did have a shouting match with him in the back room. It's what he deserved.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Nobody would bat an eyelid at casual use of the F word or likely even the C word where I work (A store manager once sidled up to me and said: "you know Bude; you're a loving weird oval office; but I like you") but then again Australia in general has radically different attitudes towards swearing than the US does. I use the F word casually in conversation all the time with customers (as in 'have you tried this new flavour of XYZ; it's so loving good' for eg). I wouldn't do it with everyone; but certainly if I was in a conversation with a customer my age or younger I would think nothing of it.

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Mar 11, 2019

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Pentaghastly posted:

Was the f-bomb too much?

Did he get written up to? Because if not complain to HR about sexual harassment related to his use of a gendered insult.

Edit: missed yournother post. Yeah he's still a bastard but if he got a writeup too I would just take your lumps and be more careful, while you wait to document him into a firing.

therobit fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Mar 11, 2019

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

It could just as easily be the stupid lovely software or a manager that doesn't know how to use it and just mashed keys until a schedule happened.

Now, if you get dinged again in short order, someone's looking to put you out.

Looks like the store manager made the schedule, not my lead CSM. Last week I had really fucky hours that were ten less than I normally get and were all over the place.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Star Man posted:

Looks like the store manager made the schedule, not my lead CSM. Last week I had really fucky hours that were ten less than I normally get and were all over the place.

Going into the first of the month we were chronically under-scheduled on the front end because the managers forgot to make a schedule, so the computer auto'd a minimum-hour piece of poo poo. This not only left us understaffed, but also pissed off every cashier to the point where nobody wanted to come in.

There were a few days where I was already down an hour, and then had to spend an hour on register, where I just went, "gently caress it", did what I could, and left when I was scheduled. There was no point in even attempting to finish on time. It was beyond the means of mortal men.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
We just had a whole suite of self-checkouts installed (one of the last Kroger stores in the country to get them). Supposedly they're hiring a lot more people because our store was given more hours for the front. But in reality it's just that everyone is still part-time and they're hiring more part time people. They keep adding courtesy clerks but they're all kids in high school. One that's been here for a while dud his third no-call/no-show, but instead of calling me to come in three hours early so I could get eight hours today instead of five, they just made the CSMs cover it.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Star Man posted:

We just had a whole suite of self-checkouts installed (one of the last Kroger stores in the country to get them). Supposedly they're hiring a lot more people because our store was given more hours for the front. But in reality it's just that everyone is still part-time and they're hiring more part time people. They keep adding courtesy clerks but they're all kids in high school. One that's been here for a while dud his third no-call/no-show, but instead of calling me to come in three hours early so I could get eight hours today instead of five, they just made the CSMs cover it.

This follows the pattern of what Kroger did here in Portland after all of the old Fred Meyer union contracts ran out. They remodel a store, add a bunch of self check, hire a bunch of high school kids part time, and piss off all the old timers enough that they leave. There were people who had been working at the store near my house for 10 or 20 years that left, and in return I got a bunch of high school kids. They don't know where any of the product is stocked and if it is something that your grandmother cooked with that only gets used at Thanksgiving and Christmas when you make her special dish, they will not know what it is. And I don't blame them, because they are in high school and are rightly more concerned with chasing tail or tomorrow's math test.

Kroger also did a huge expansion of the beer and wine sections, and increased the prices of all groceries by a fair amount, while decreasing variety of brands for everything that isn't beer and wine. I basically only buy there in an emergency or if there is something specific in the ad now.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Am I allowed to say gently caress Dayshift?

Because gently caress Dayshift. Not just ours, but in general.

Half the reason Night Shift is so bitter is because we're cleaning up after your sorry asses. Okay, maybe a quarter of the reason. If we were socially well adjusted and not bitter assholes we wouldn't be on Nights in the first place, even if they do pay us $0.60/hour more.

BHB
Aug 28, 2011
Shifts leaving a bunch of garbage for the next shift to do really isn't unique to days or nights, it's entirely down to lovely staffing (due to lovely corporate policies). If you want to be mad at someone be mad at the group actually causing the problem, not the convenient scapegoat.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
It is generally true however that (two separate but interrelated facts here):

1. Management tends to blame evening/night shift if poo poo isn’t done by night’s end,
2. The laziest people tend to pursue and get day shifts.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

bonus hole boy posted:

Shifts leaving a bunch of garbage for the next shift to do really isn't unique to days or nights, it's entirely down to lovely staffing (due to lovely corporate policies). If you want to be mad at someone be mad at the group actually causing the problem, not the convenient scapegoat.

While I agree with you in most cases this has been an ongoing on-and-off-again issue that magically disappears when we complain loud enough then comes back a month later. Some of it is legitimately Management's fault for thinking that we could go without support staff for a while, but ultimately Day Shift has about twice the workers we have.

There is no reason that Night Shift should clock in and find that the item sorter is in Anti Gridlock Mode (i.e. it won't start because it's overfull and has nowhere to put new items), down 200 sorting trays from where it should be (so it won't sort items as fast), meanwhile every pack station is missing half of its box suite and the box storage areas are trash filled mine-fields littered in plastic strap tripping hazards.

And as Eric the Mauve said we're basically expected to get out what they don't because a) we're the night shift and b) we're consistently one of the better pack shifts in the entire US Amazon network. Having to take an extra 30-60 minutes on some nights to hit our stride shipping everyone their dildos and essential oils tends to grate. Especially when management is telling us about the backlog (because equipment keeps breaking).

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Welp, I didn't sleep again. This time I had six hours between shifts instead of twelve hours and I just couldn't fall asleep enough to hit REM sleep. I'm probably going to miss class now because I'll be too tired to go and the reason for the schedule change was because I was scheduled when I was supposed to be in class in the first place.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Our company recently changed the rules so that we have to have a 12 hour break between shifts instead of the 10 hour break that used to be the minimum. It's something I've been pushing for quite some time and I'm glad it's finally happened.

BHB
Aug 28, 2011
I guess I'm still not seeing where any of these issues (bullshit as they are) are caused by the crew itself, and not by policies implemented on them? Like the fact that you want to generalize it to 'gently caress day crew everywhere' should be a giant red flag that the problems are structural and blame should fall on the people who provide that faulty structure.

Being mad about a lovely crew just seems like being mad at a symptom, which I guess if you just want to make yourself feel better is fine, but it's not really going to accomplish much.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

bonus hole boy posted:

I guess I'm still not seeing where any of these issues (bullshit as they are) are caused by the crew itself, and not by policies implemented on them? Like the fact that you want to generalize it to 'gently caress day crew everywhere' should be a giant red flag that the problems are structural and blame should fall on the people who provide that faulty structure.

Being mad about a lovely crew just seems like being mad at a symptom, which I guess if you just want to make yourself feel better is fine, but it's not really going to accomplish much.

The disease (corporate management) is not merely incurable but untreatable. A person can at least dream of maybe one day treating the symptoms.

BHB
Aug 28, 2011

Eric the Mauve posted:

The disease (corporate management) is not merely incurable but untreatable. A person can at least dream of maybe one day treating the symptoms.

Rage Against The Machine My Coworkers

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I chatted with the deli manager and I'm going to see if I can get transferred to that department. They get paid more and they don't pull bullshit with people's hours (as long as an assistant or store manager doesn't gently caress with them).

cephalopods
Aug 11, 2013

Interesting. Deli clerks here get paid one of the lowest rates in the store, and turnover is so high that none of them can keep a consistent schedule except the 30-year veterans on first shift.

Pentaghastly
Mar 26, 2016

Eric the Mauve posted:

A cleansing fire.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

cephalopods posted:

Interesting. Deli clerks here get paid one of the lowest rates in the store, and turnover is so high that none of them can keep a consistent schedule except the 30-year veterans on first shift.

That sounds like some hilarious bullshit and a recipe for a deli-department that infuriates the customers, given that the deli is often the bakery and the hot/cold food prep area.

If you go deli, make sure you get some non-slip shoes. You will become the best of friends with grease, water and soap. Find whatever cheap rear end shoe kitchen staff use and buy that.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
It's been like 15 years since I last worked in a kitchen, so any of my recommendations will be wildly out of date. Go ask in the restaurant industry thread in GWS. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3827217

They'll know the best value, most comfortable non-slips.

cephalopods
Aug 11, 2013

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

That sounds like some hilarious bullshit and a recipe for a deli-department that infuriates the customers, given that the deli is often the bakery and the hot/cold food prep area.

If you go deli, make sure you get some non-slip shoes. You will become the best of friends with grease, water and soap. Find whatever cheap rear end shoe kitchen staff use and buy that.

Our deli was only recently combined into the same department as the bakery (eliminating a dedicated manager position for the one department that needs it more than any, lmao), so they maintain separate staff.
Except when the bakery closer is forced to finish early so they can go over and help close deli, because deli had multiple call-ins.
Which happens, like, three times per week.

I would go cashier, or cart pusher, or management, or take a pay cut, before I voluntarily transferred to that trainwreck of a department.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

You make it sound like I have never worked in food service before.

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.

Star Man posted:

I chatted with the deli manager and I'm going to see if I can get transferred to that department. They get paid more and they don't pull bullshit with people's hours (as long as an assistant or store manager doesn't gently caress with them).
Umm...

cephalopods posted:

This. Kroger has made all departments miserable as poo poo as of late. Produce is considered the easiest of perishable departments. You don't have to wait on customers on a counter, cleaning is minimal compared to others. You don't have to work with/in grease, blood, or the cold.

I have noticed that day stockers have it easiest, as long as they are present when a truck arrives, they gently caress off rest of the time. Janitors have it second easiest, aside from the disgusting aspect of it, hitting up bathrooms and trash cans around the store, they don't do much other than push a broom around the store. Management accepts that the janitors are all hosed up in the head and mostly leaves them alone.

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.

cephalopods posted:

Our deli was only recently combined into the same department as the bakery (eliminating a dedicated manager position for the one department that needs it more than any, lmao), so they maintain separate staff.
Except when the bakery closer is forced to finish early so they can go over and help close deli, because deli had multiple call-ins.
Which happens, like, three times per week.

I would go cashier, or cart pusher, or management, or take a pay cut, before I voluntarily transferred to that trainwreck of a department.
That's scary. Makes me think the company is grasping straws to stay afloat and not close down.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

ijii posted:

That's scary. Makes me think the company is grasping straws to stay afloat and not close down.

Haha, no, they’re just trying to jack up bonuses for some regional manager somewhere, probably.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Smith's doesn't seem to have an actual janitor in their stores. The courtesy clerks are the janitors. Before I learned the register, my duties were bagging, the front lot, custodial, and facing certain parts of the store, and dealing with go-backs. Our store gas a floor tech, but word is that he's being paid under the table.

I'm at $10.20 per hour and get paid more than other courtesy clerks because I was hired as a cashier, but it took until my ninth week for me to finally learn how to run a register. The people in deli start at $12 per hour and it's closed at 9pm. So if I'm the night guy, I don't have to be up all loving night. And if I'm the day guy, it's 5am-1pm, so I'm off early enough to run errands. I'm okay with this either way. I just want to get away from the front end because it's such a circus.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Star Man posted:

Welp, I didn't sleep again. This time I had six hours between shifts instead of twelve hours and I just couldn't fall asleep enough to hit REM sleep. I'm probably going to miss class now because I'll be too tired to go and the reason for the schedule change was because I was scheduled when I was supposed to be in class in the first place.

What state are you in ? A six hour gap between shifts is illegal in at least California.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

mllaneza posted:

What state are you in ? A six hour gap between shifts is illegal in at least California.

Wyoming

The state minimum wage is still $5.15 per hour. I would not be surprised if there is some fuckwit old guy out in the middle of nowhere that pays people that amount instead of the federal minimum wage because of his own hosed up worldview. So I'll leave it up to you to guess if there's a minimum amount of time between shifts in this state mandated by law.

Star Man fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Mar 12, 2019

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I know states get to decide on certain things without the feds making a stink about it, but I did not think the minimum wage was one of them. $5.15 is a loving joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Inspector 34 posted:

I know states get to decide on certain things without the feds making a stink about it, but I did not think the minimum wage was one of them. $5.15 is a loving joke.

There probably are ranchers or scumbags in the smallest of towns across the state that get away with paying below federal minimum in Wyoming because the state's minimum was never increased to match it in the state congress. I think I've heard of one cheap rear end rancher that has done that, but it was all under the table so there was nothing that could be done about it.