Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Dias posted:

Reuben Langdon almost died in a car robbery gone wrong.

I didn't know he was Dante's VA, so I was really confused what it had to do with this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Cuntellectual posted:

The "press and hold right control stick to see where you need to go next!" feature seems completely useless, because it toggles Auto on way before it does that..

They're on separate buttons...

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Cuntellectual posted:

My thoughts on dmc: v

Game is good but I do have some fairly small complaints.

V kinda sucks. It's really, really easy to get S/SSS by just mashing attack and reading poetry while Nightmare smashes things.

Nero seems buggy? In two of his chapters, there was 0 combat music playing.

The "press and hold right control stick to see where you need to go next!" feature seems completely useless, because it toggles Auto on way before it does that.

Lock-on switching still sucks

Taunting doesn't seem to add like, anything to the style meter?

Sparda looks way cooler than the Dante sword

The fact that Dante doesn't ride Cavaliere when he sprints is a massive shame.

I'm catching up on this thread and trying to figure out what this post is.

The 'point me in the right direction' button is on left stick, not right stick. Also, it's useful for seeing which way is the correct path so you can avoid going there accidentally until you've explored side paths.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Cuntellectual posted:

Lock-on switching still sucks

Taunting doesn't seem to add like, anything to the style meter?

Sparda looks way cooler than the Dante sword

Lock on switching is incredibad and I hope they patch it.

Taunts have to finish to add style, and they work better if you're in actual danger. Mostly taunting right after you knock everyone down is good. Air taunting just works in general because they're short, and Nero's is actually a ridiculously good mobility/avoidance tool.

Using whatever sword you want is an unlock.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Air taunts are good, Nero's gives you air stalling and Dante's is ACTUALLY A LAUNCHER, it's a pretty good way to add style meter after grounding an enemy/during a combo.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I think I have to switch taunt with the “show me where to go” L3 stick because it’s really awkward to hit that tiny options button on the PS4 controller midfight.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Cruising the information superhighway
Wow! What a game!

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Dias posted:

Air taunts are good, Nero's gives you air stalling and Dante's is ACTUALLY A LAUNCHER, it's a pretty good way to add style meter after grounding an enemy/during a combo.

I use the swordsurf constantly when darting around fights with Nero, it owns. Between that and the new diving slash I basically become loving Superman with how awesome it feels to be in the air constantly slamming poo poo around.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"
I usually don't get into the 'best' way to play games but an XBox Elite controller is the best controller to use for DMC5 and you'll never make me believe differently.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Cavaliere Angelo is a cool fight with awesome music.

CJacobs posted:

The 'point me in the right direction' button is on left stick, not right stick. Also, it's useful for seeing which way is the correct path so you can avoid going there accidentally until you've explored side paths.

Huh, I could have sworn it was right; And yeah, that's the main reason I wanted to use it. :v:

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

exquisite tea posted:

I think I have to switch taunt with the “show me where to go” L3 stick because it’s really awkward to hit that tiny options button on the PS4 controller midfight.

??? Taunt is on the touchpad?

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
how the hell do you switch targets in a fight? like, i know it's notoriously bad but clicking L3 has never worked for me in a few hours of playing/trying, is that at least what you're supposed to do and it just cycles through the targets?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Bust Rodd posted:

??? Taunt is on the touchpad?

Not on PC it ain’t.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

jeffLebowski posted:

however, i have to say... am i missing something with the level design? i swear im on the 4th or 5th (mission 14 maybe?) straight stage of being in this loving tree. it looks awful, and its just endless corridors or what appears to be the inside of a demons anus.

does the game ever get back to the cityscape or any other new environment that doesnt look awful?

Yea I'm surprised no one else has mentioned the constant revisiting of the demon tree tileset. It's definitely way worse than backtracking through DMC4.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Cruising the information superhighway
The level design is the worst part by a mile but luckily literally everything else is super good IMO.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Bonaventure posted:

how the hell do you switch targets in a fight? like, i know it's notoriously bad but clicking L3 has never worked for me in a few hours of playing/trying, is that at least what you're supposed to do and it just cycles through the targets?

It seems like you have to be standing still to switch targets.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Yea I'm surprised no one else has mentioned the constant revisiting of the demon tree tileset. It's definitely way worse than backtracking through DMC4.

I def don't miss those tiny-rear end corridors that you also had to fight in. Maybe I'm just a sucker for hellscapes but I didn't mind the Qliphoth too much even though I do wish there were more cityscape levels; feels like we left them too soon. The level design isn't particularly mindblowing but I'm glad the spaces for fights are more spacious, that's all I could ask for

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

exquisite tea posted:

Not on PC it ain’t.

It is if you're using any of the rebinding software such as DS4Windows (you can probably do the same in Big Picture?). :D

I set my whole touchpad to Taunt, so I can slam it whenever with either hand, or my face.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

lol @ p2w when even paying orbs probably wouldn't help this guy win

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It also doesn’t even make sense, like you can just restart the boss from the previous-boss checkpoint for free and I don’t even think it tanks your score that bad, it just snapshots your score from before the boss fight.

Basically that person probably wears a helmet around the house.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Cuntellectual posted:

The "press and hold right control stick to see where you need to go next!" feature seems completely useless, because it toggles Auto on way before it does that.

Lol.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
That username post combo is very strong tbh

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I really do wish they would have put the option to restart from the checkpoint at the "ARE YOU DEAD SCREEN?" instead of saving it for the "YES YOU ARE!" screen and adding another 45 seconds to the process, at least on a vanilla PS4

The loading times in this game aren't quite murderous (granted I didn't mind the original Bloodborn loading times either) but they are frequent and long enough that I don't know if I'd have the patience if the game was anything else than SSS-rank the rest of the time

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
I need to swap the taunt to the dpad or something, using a 360 controller and have it be on that tiny not start button sucks

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Dias posted:

What's even better is that you can max act during nero's air taunt.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"
So I'm just gonna come out and say in DMC6 we need Nico to turn the Minotaurus van into a transformable mecha.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Zaa Boogie posted:

So I'm just gonna come out and say in DMC6 we need Nico to turn the Minotaurus van into a transformable mecha.

That's her DLC. She just builds a Gundam and solves every problem in the game.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Dias posted:

That's her DLC. She just builds a Gundam and solves every problem in the game.

I was figuring they'd do something like DMC4 SE and she'd be the distaff V. Lady is Nero, with Kalina Ann's grapnel for Snatch, Trish is Dante with DT and a sword, and Nico can... I dunno, build some robot pals to fight for her while she hollers and hoots from the sidelines to build meter.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I believe you mean she smokes to build gauge.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Jack Trades posted:

You know what V actually stands for?

Canonically the only person in their universe both alive and known to gently caress.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

kater posted:

I believe you mean she smokes to build gauge.

This game does not promote the use of cigarettes, I'll have you know!

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

Why is there no available ost file for the cavalire angelo boss fight? That music was so good I went back and replayed that fight instead of going to the next mission.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Gaz-L posted:

This game does not promote the use of cigarettes, I'll have you know!

if that was the case nico would've had a dumb vape. would probably fit her design more.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Bought the game and left it installing, why won't work be done already??

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Mr.Citrus posted:

Why is there no available ost file for the cavalire angelo boss fight? That music was so good I went back and replayed that fight instead of going to the next mission.

Full OST is out on the 20th - all we have currently are game recordings.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Nico would have a custom cyber-vape rig that she developed with demon hell energy that has a gun magazine on it full of just normal cigarettes, defeating the purpose of vaping

edit: You pull a gun trigger on the vape with it pointed at your mouth like a gun and a cigarette goes into the Vape Chamber (proprietary technology) and you smoke it, and then the gun contains the smoke and you can shoot it directly at Nero for fun because he hates the smell

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
So Nico is just Morel from HxH.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The timing of the DMC:V launch window is unfortunately close to the Jacko documentary and was therefore impossible to put out of my mind during the scene where Dante and Nico meet.

I was sitting there like “wow this game came out today and it already hasn’t aged well..: lol”

EDIT: it occurs to me that the same cowards who don’t want to expend their precious devil breakers are probably sleeping on Dante’s hat as a weapon and let me tell you that Orbs spent vs Orbs received is ridiculously imbalanced in the player’s favor and you’d have to be Scrub Tier Easy-Automatic level to not net Orbs in the process.

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Mar 11, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...
Quick question because I absolutely can't wait until I'm home to figure it out myself: Once I've beaten the game and unlocked the ability to switch swords back to Rebellion/Sparda, is it only a cosmetic change, or do I go back to that sword's moveset as well? The Dante sword looks like poo poo, but I kinda like its combos and the phantom swords.