Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

linall
Feb 1, 2007

doomrider7 posted:

Oh MAN dude. Are you talking about the stuff from Guro Translations? Yeah man I respect him for taking a crack at(And the author Fuse for being so cool about it), but you wanna void that for two reasons.

1. It's very amateur in translation.

and

2. It's the WN so it's like reading a REALLY early rough draft.

The WN has the core concepts of things, but even Fuse admits that it's really primitive and amateurish for a variety of reasonds and points to the official LN as the TRUE finished product. As for where to find that, Google Play has the series as do several other retailers and japanese cat sound places.

I guess they must've been. I only made it through a couple of "chapters" but they were very short and didn't make that much sense. I do like the idea of the background of the world being more fleshed out which is typically what the light novels are good at. The fights in the anime have been pretty visually entertaining though so I'll probably hold off until whenever the anime is done to avoid spoiling myself on upcoming stuff.

linall fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Mar 10, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

doomrider7 posted:

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2019-03-03/renta-e-book-site-names-best-manga-of-the-heisei-era/.144021

I love Slime, but even I think that's BS and feel that there are other manga that better defined the Heisei Era(One Piece, Detective Conan, and Oh My Goddess to name a few). Still, nice to see it get some rep.

Edit: Not sure about Shoujo, but I'm glad to see Wotakoi get some love as well.

These lists feel like a weird mix of mostly genuine classics with a couple random things that happen to be popular at the moment thrown in.

To be fair, though, it also says "more representative" which can be interpreted in a way that involves choosing stuff that isn't necessarily the best. And with that interpretation, it kinda does make sense to include some isekai thing in the list, given how influential the genre has become. And among isekai, Slime is probably the most prominent.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

linall posted:

I guess they must've been. I only made it through a couple of "chapters" but they were very short and didn't make that much sense. I do like the idea of the background of the world being more fleshed out which is typically what the light novels are good at. The fights in the anime have been pretty visually entertaining though so I'll probably hold off until whenever the anime is done to avoid spoiling myself on upcoming stuff.

Yeah he and Asian Hobbyist were the guys behind the WN translation with the author FUSE's blessing and everything.

Ytlaya posted:

These lists feel like a weird mix of mostly genuine classics with a couple random things that happen to be popular at the moment thrown in.

To be fair, though, it also says "more representative" which can be interpreted in a way that involves choosing stuff that isn't necessarily the best. And with that interpretation, it kinda does make sense to include some isekai thing in the list, given how influential the genre has become. And among isekai, Slime is probably the most prominent.
Possibly.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I see that they did not animate the cliffhanger quite yet.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Grouchio posted:

I see that they did not animate the cliffhanger quite yet.

Kind of didn't like how they showed Hinata there. Wasn't as cool and causes a continuity error about the slime thing though that's a minor thing.

In any case, main episodes are done so as always offered, if anyone has questions about skipped content ask away.

Captain_duck
Dec 3, 2005

I swear nice bushes!
Man They dont even name the new golem ramiris gets to save on time... and then the other half of the episode is loving recap. Did they run out of money or something? What a weird end.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Now are we getting the 24th episode next week or in December?

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Captain_duck posted:

Man They dont even name the new golem ramiris gets to save on time... and then the other half of the episode is loving recap. Did they run out of money or something? What a weird end.

Doubt it they ran out of money. I think the reason they skipped the golem naming is because they skipped how Rimuru learned "Demon Summon" in Blumund during his guild exam.

As for the recap, they likely weren't allowed to move forward with things past this point since it's caught up with the manga. Most of the committee is Kodansha so a lot of the series is being made in mind of getting people to pick the manga so if you're curious what happens next, you'll have to drop some coin for it.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Bandai and the other companies infautuated with Slime Isekai must be silently seething. I bet they'll try to pump out OVAs like no tomorrow next year.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
wait, did the anime just end then?

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Weird end. As someone unfamiliar with the source material, even I could tell that things really rushed after the Orc Lord arc. Which is a shame but gives me a reason to check out the novel/manga I guess.

All in all, I still like it even if it didn't nail the landing completely. That song during the recap was really pretty.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Captain_duck posted:

I think you already know, but for anyone else who hasn't read any of the source material, if they hadn't had the recap they would have had to write an even more different ending or it would've ended on a much more frustrating cliffhanger.

Nullsmack posted:

wait, did the anime just end then?

I believe the main stuff has, with an extra episode to come. Plus whatever other stuff they're going to do later, but I don't know if anything else has actually been announced.

I thought the anime started very strong, but started stumbling after the Orc Lord arc. They cut so much. A lot of it was small bits and pieces that didn't really matter, but some of them were really important, especially in this last third of the anime. (I don't think any of the following really needs to be spoiled since it's just a very light overview of some of the stuff that was skipped, but I'll do it anyways just in case or if anyone wants to read the source material and doesn't want to know.) Basically everything from the Demon Lords except Milim and Clayman, and even they got hit. I'm still really disappointed in how they handled Yohm and his group. The merchant was really weird, because none of what catches Rimuru's eye is there, so he just seemingly accepts this guy based off the merchant wanting to say thanks and paying for a meal for the kids. Last week Ramiris straight up tells Rimuru that he can just make a stronger spirit out of weaker ones, then this week is completely surprised when he does exactly that. There's the lines about summoning a demon, which have no weight in the anime because Rimuru learns how on his trip to find the kids, but that entire arc was cut.

If you did like this anime and like (or want to give it a try) reading manga and/or light novels, I very heavily recommend giving them a go. I think either one is a better version, and the official translations are perfectly fine. If you only pick one, I'd say go for the manga. It's an easier read and doesn't skip any major stuff, along with some extra Veldora stuff. The LN has more little bits of world building and a few minor events that didn't make it to the manga, plus more of Rimuru's internal monologue.

The official manga translations end just after the Charybdis fight, with the next volume out tomorrow. (After stopping just after the anime started... Hmmmm...) The fan translation for the manga and the official LN release are just a little farther than the anime, basically the point it would have ended on if they hadn't had the recap/rewrite to make for a less frustrating ending.

In a more light-hearted direction though, the artist that did the illustrations for the LN, Mitz Vah, posted some art of the kids today:
https://twitter.com/mitz_vah/status/1105127824648626177?s=19

Onean fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Mar 11, 2019

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Mulderman posted:

Weird end. As someone unfamiliar with the source material, even I could tell that things really rushed after the Orc Lord arc. Which is a shame but gives me a reason to check out the novel/manga I guess.

All in all, I still like it even if it didn't nail the landing completely. That song during the recap was really pretty.

This was the point. Some time ago, the reddit contact mentioned that the bulk of the anime committee was from Kodansha hence the rushed feeling and it ending EXACTLY where the manga currently is. It's actually pretty damned slick of an idea.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

doomrider7 posted:

This was the point. Some time ago, the reddit contact mentioned that the bulk of the anime committee was from Kodansha hence the rushed feeling and it ending EXACTLY where the manga currently is. It's actually pretty damned slick of an idea.

I think it's a lovely idea, weakening a likely more popular product to sell more of another.

Edit: I took a look at some of Mitz Vah's other art posted on Twitter and wanted to share these too:
https://twitter.com/mitz_vah/status/1083329849828098048?s=19
https://twitter.com/mitz_vah/status/1067791590947618816?s=19
https://twitter.com/mitz_vah/status/1052279353793437696?s=19

Onean fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Mar 11, 2019

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

I feel like around the Charybdis arc the anime lost its charm and started rushing headlong over itself to get us to where we concluded

Still enjoyed it, looking forward to the omake stuff/eventual OVA

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Onean posted:

I think it's a lovely idea, weakening a likely more popular product to sell more of another.

Edit: I took a look at some of Mitz Vah's other art posted on Twitter and wanted to share these too:
https://twitter.com/mitz_vah/status/1083329849828098048?s=19
https://twitter.com/mitz_vah/status/1067791590947618816?s=19
https://twitter.com/mitz_vah/status/1052279353793437696?s=19

I don't disagree, but I think the issue is the same as One Piece where the source material is so overwhelmingly popular, that the quality of the anime can be mediocre and it'll STILL sell*, that and ultimately we aren't the target market, Japan is.

*The quality has been amazing in terms of animation and VA since EVERYONE involved loves the source material and they all actually wanted to do a more comprehensive take, but we'll yeah.

Edit: Mitz Cat's art is awesome. I'd LOVE to see a crossover between him and Gorillaz which is not out of the question since he's a HUGE fan of British punk bands and the such.

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Mar 11, 2019

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Charybdis is a crappy arc that wasn't in the WN to begin with. I wish it had been cut if anything.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
Check out @ten_sura_anime’s Tweet:

https://twitter.com/ten_sura_anime/status/1104917425638727681?s=09

Tensura x Sanrio which means Rimuru x Aggretsuko/Hello Kitty

So yeah, the series is making/gonna make all kinds of "gently caress you" money.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Rubellavator posted:

Charybdis is a crappy arc that wasn't in the WN to begin with. I wish it had been cut if anything.

The arc was made to fix issues involving the Beastkin and the Harpies along with a few other issues.

Alfredo Jones
Jun 5, 2011

Pretty please with sugar on top?
So now that the anime has "ended", I'm thinking of picking up either the manga or the LN. I usually prefer mangas since I'm a pleb who prefers pretty pictures over walls of text, but I was wondering which of the two expands on the story more than the anime did. I've really come to love this series and the world it's building so I want to see as much of it as I can.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Alfredo Jones posted:

So now that the anime has "ended", I'm thinking of picking up either the manga or the LN. I usually prefer mangas since I'm a pleb who prefers pretty pictures over walls of text, but I was wondering which of the two expands on the story more than the anime did. I've really come to love this series and the world it's building so I want to see as much of it as I can.

Light Novel. Like...barely even competitive. The skipped Demon Lord meeting scene was better there since you get each Demon Lord's internal monologue and Milim's is legitimately fascinating in how it completely changes how she comes off.

TenWren
Jan 22, 2012

I think I had the most fun with the first half of this series (also, every decision made in regards to sound design). Plot-wise, the conclusion of the Orc Lord arc and everything after was underwhelming at best.

Whenever it focused on nation-building or protecting the nation or Best Boy Ranga it was all right. I think my greatest problem is that I never felt any attachment to Shizu, nor was I very invested in Rimuru honoring her wishes. She just came across as an excuse for an otherwise content Rimuru to do things. This last arc felt particularly forced.

As for this episode: seeing Rimuru look genuinely freaked out for once was great. Other than that, this episode wasn't very good.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

Onean posted:

I agree with you. The painful part is that this is how the anime is now, unless later on they decide to redo it into a more complete version like when they remade Fullmetal Alchemist.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Nullsmack posted:

I agree with you. The painful part is that this is how the anime is now, unless later on they decide to redo it into a more complete version like when they remade Fullmetal Alchemist.

That's a possibility. Overall the current issue CAN be fixed a bit by way of a second season detailing the events that were skipped and adding spinoff material. A whole new series wouldn't be out of the question, but that's still a ways off.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Alfredo Jones posted:

Yeah, the LN definitely has more of what you're looking for. If you bounce off it (it is the early work of a relatively inexperienced writer that was then translated into a different language; while it's good there's still rough patches) I'd say give the manga a try. There's still a good bit of detail there, plus the bonus Veldora chapters.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

This was not exactly worth watching. "We made our product poo poo to entice you to look at our other product!" yeah no... Even if I ignored such a slimy move the poor quality doesn't make me want to get more of this at all. It has quite the opposite effect.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
It's a perfectly reasonable response, which is sad because I don't think the series deserves it.

It could have been so much better if they just slowed way the gently caress down and chose to end the season after the events following Charybdis, which has a pretty natural spot to wrap things up after interacting with the Beast Kingdom and the return to the Dwarven Kingdom. It's honestly where I thought they would end when I heard they were making an anime. Then if they decide to do a second season they have the kids' arc and its lead-up to ease into the next major conflict. With how they did things, if we get a second season they have no source material that isn't out of order so they either have to move things around and rewrite them or immediately jump into the toughest situation Rimuru has had in this world so far (though this is as far as I've read, not having read the fan translation of the LN, so I don't know exactly how things follow up but I do have a loose idea thanks to some minor spoilers I've seen and one of the spin-offs).

Edit: I should say that even though I'm being pretty negative I do think this was an okay anime by itself, this latest episode aside, and a lot of people who haven't read the source material seem to like it quite a bit. I just don't think it was nearly as good as it could have been.

Onean fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Mar 12, 2019

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Onean posted:

It's a perfectly reasonable response, which is sad because I don't think the series deserves it.

It could have been so much better if they just slowed way the gently caress down and chose to end the season after the events following Charybdis, which has a pretty natural spot to wrap things up after interacting with the Beast Kingdom and the return to the Dwarven Kingdom. It's honestly where I thought they would end when I heard they were making an anime. Then if they decide to do a second season they have the kids' arc and its lead-up to ease into the next major conflict. With how they did things, if we get a second season they have no source material that isn't out of order so they either have to move things around and rewrite them or immediately jump into the toughest situation Rimuru has had in this world so far (though this is as far as I've read, not having read the fan translation of the LN, so I don't know exactly how things follow up but I do have a loose idea thanks to some minor spoilers I've seen and one of the spin-offs).

Edit: I should say that even though I'm being pretty negative I do think this was an okay anime by itself, this latest episode aside, and a lot of people who haven't read the source material seem to like it quite a bit. I just don't think it was nearly as good as it could have been.

Yeah same. I was thinking it would end just after Charybdis and Milim leaves with the scene from the Manga where Rimuru has a vision of Shizu and remembers his promise to her. Would have been a perfect point to stop in my opinion.

https://twitter.com/ten_sura_anime/status/1105305074085986304?s=09

More on that Tensura x Sanrio stuff. Looks really cute.

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Mar 12, 2019

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
Season 2 confirmation for 2020

https://twitter.com/pKjd/status/1107251174401409024?s=19

http://www.ten-sura.com/news/959/

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
Hopefully the second season will be paced better than the first.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Starsnostars posted:

True. Still really hoping they do some of skipped content.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
Episode was dope as loving hell. The fights never fail to deliver in how they're animated.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Yeah, also guessing Shizu's mask is kinda the reason she didn't age much after a certain point right?

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Catching up on this thread. I also dropped after the sky whale arc. Maybe I’ll just read the manga.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
The current episodes are not in the manga.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Agronox posted:

Catching up on this thread. I also dropped after the sky whale arc. Maybe I’ll just read the manga.

Go for it man. It's a lot more detailed. Check out the LN as well.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Mordaedil posted:

The current episodes are not in the manga.

This one isn't, but the Veldora diaries are.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

doomrider7 posted:

Go for it man. It's a lot more detailed. Check out the LN as well.

Excellent, because that’s more what I’m looking for. Some of the diplomacy / trade stuff you and others have mentioned sounds interesting.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Agronox posted:

Excellent, because that’s more what I’m looking for. Some of the diplomacy / trade stuff you and others have mentioned sounds interesting.

The LN straight up DETAILS how he developed stuff like the roads, the plumbing, the carriages, and even his booze(he actually creates Whiskey and Brandy) or even instant hot water. Those things are really good and clever bits of world building since it shows how these seemingly mundane things have these massive technological snowball effects, ditto for his political dealings(he gets mildly screwed in one deal and fucks himself royally in another trying to be a smartass).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Starsnostars posted:

I think the pacing is why it is so popular though. That and the fact that basically nothing bad ever happens to anyone.