Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

There was the whole concentrated effort to review bomb Captain Marvel's RottenTomatoes score that was visible enough to change the site's policy. I have no idea how many actual people were participating in that, but it is at least a thing. A stupid thing that's not worth paying much attention to, but a thing.

Yeah, but the issue I take with that is that it starts to walk a weird line where you're controlling or hampering feedback. How do you differentiate between an instance where something got review bombed, and an instance where something got legitimately panned for being awful, only for the creators to, "Hey, our film isn't bad. It was just review bombing by <group>" in order to stamp out any negative criticism? That's sort of what happened with the whole Digital Homicide/Slaughtering Grounds debacle, where I think there were instances of the dev banning people in the forums who complained.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I think it's mostly non-professional reviewers giving reviews before the film came out, or reading reviews which blatantly didn't see the movie based on their content.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

repiv posted:

The review bomb was pretty big, more users rated Captain Marvel before it came out than had rated Infinity War in the entire year since its release.

It's botted to hell, for the record.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Terrible Opinions posted:

I think it's mostly non-professional reviewers giving reviews before the film came out, or reading reviews which blatantly didn't see the movie based on their content.

That's true. I guess I was thinking more in terms of in terms of official critics (i.e. representing some site or publication).

Vaguely related:
https://twitter.com/guscraw/status/1099316656046833665

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
I was going to see if that was at least enough to trigger Steam's automatic "looks like something weird is going on with the reviews, maybe ignore them" alert, but it looks like the developer went ahead and pulled it down. Chinese review bombing on Stellaris for not doing a Chinese translation was enough to trigger it.

The extra sad thing is that the dev's previous game Detention was pretty outspoken against the Taiwanese government's old anti-communist actions anyway.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Arist posted:

It's botted to hell, for the record.

It is shocking their cunning plan was discovered, what with making hashtags announcing it and shouting it from the rooftops to any who would listen and many who wouldn't.

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

poparena posted:

hazel has a video up on the manga "Stop!! Hibari-kun!", how it fairs as a work with transgender characters, and how complicated it is applying the Japanese language to LGBTQ issues.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oa6MK_boub0

Captain Marvel isn't internet personalities, watch this really good video instead.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

I was going to see if that was at least enough to trigger Steam's automatic "looks like something weird is going on with the reviews, maybe ignore them" alert, but it looks like the developer went ahead and pulled it down. Chinese review bombing on Stellaris for not doing a Chinese translation was enough to trigger it.

The extra sad thing is that the dev's previous game Detention was pretty outspoken against the Taiwanese government's old anti-communist actions anyway.

their publisher was a chinese company and they have deep-sixed the game

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Is there any way to still get it?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

not legally

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

corn in the bible posted:

their publisher was a chinese company and they have deep-sixed the game

Yeah, that was NOT a smart move on the developer's part at all. Like they may potentially "disappear", bad idea :ohdear:.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

The devs claim it'll be up again once they sort things out.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Yeah, that was NOT a smart move on the developer's part at all. Like they may potentially "disappear", bad idea :ohdear:.

What? No. The dev is in Taiwan. The publisher is in mainland China. You know the difference, right?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

the publisher doesn't

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

VanSandman posted:

What? No. The dev is in Taiwan. The publisher is in mainland China. You know the difference, right?

Yeah the devs are probably fine outside of losing their publishing deal.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

VanSandman posted:

Keep this up and you won't have enough social credit to travel to the next city.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

New Nightmare Masterclass video on his "DHMIS Critical Approaches" series, where he introduces different styles of criticism and uses them to analyze Don't Hug Me I'm Scared.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJvKtydoPPY

ETA:

Also the better-known internet horror guy put up his House of Leaves video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfVztT3UeYw

I feel like he's trying to be more academic and intellectual but it just comes off as pretentious.

Puppy Time fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Mar 11, 2019

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pQNYeOEFJc
Welp RLM reviewed Captain Marvel

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Now they play the 'MARVEL PAID SHILLS' game.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

:manning:

God, it gets harder and harder to watch their non-Best of the Worst material, I swear. They're both just so loving miserable all the time.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
why would anyone be happy to have more Marvel slop thrown in their face

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
They seem fine? They have never been a wellspring of positivity. Even on BOTW

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Maybe some people are capable of finding joy in their lives

But I haven't really bothered with most RLM content since they said no one actually cares about representation

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Man people hate RLM for the most baffling reasons sometimes

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

nine-gear crow posted:

God, it gets harder and harder to watch their non-Best of the Worst material, I swear. They're both just so loving miserable all the time.

i liked the movie alot but i agree with some of there points at least with the whole "she remembers but now she has to actually remember but we already know" part. i found the chat about the bri larson controversy interesting.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Mar 12, 2019

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

CharlestheHammer posted:

I don't see how the reason I gave is baffling, but also I don't hate them, they just have terminal cases of White Guy Opinions

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
I agree with their broader take that most old white dude film critics are an irrelevant sideshow and that any real efforts to get films more diverse should be focusing on actors, directors, and the rest of the people that actually make films, most old white dude film critics actually love liberal stuff, and that a big budget action movie about a superhero is not a feminist experience. It's said in a dumb way, but ultimately holy loving poo poo the amount of takes I've seen where people are so happy this thing made almost half a billion is so bizarre, considering that ultimately those Disney execs are going to spend their take of that loot doing way more effective right wing poo poo than, I dunno, xXTheGamingDemonXx or whatever the gently caress these nerds are called will ever do with a boring video saying the MCU is ruined forever by this film.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
So I checked and there are like, quite a few biographies of :notch: available on Amazon from a few years ago.

I feel like those books about his life and success jumped the gun too soon in putting editions out because eventually they're gonna have to include a chapter on how he feels that believing oneself to be trans is a mental disease.

https://twitter.com/notch/status/1105156558181195785

Just keep adding new additions every time it gets worse. That goes for any internet-based biographies of the guy as well y'know. Timely considering this is the ten-year anniversary of the game.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

After watching the video, their points about the broader state of the film as a statement kinda boils down to a long form version of this tweet.

https://twitter.com/usarsnl/status/857795901791891457

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

CharlestheHammer posted:

Why would anyone dislike a nice Midwestern racist

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

GOOD LORD WHAT IS HAPPENING IN THERE?!

https://twitter.com/ObscureAaron/status/1105183113049595906

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Aurora Chudlialis

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Is this as bad as thunderf00t's obsession with Sarkeesian?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Is this like when Jordan Owen spent like the equivalent of a month's worth of time screaming about Anita Sarkeesian from his bathtub?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Arist posted:

I don't see how the reason I gave is baffling, but also I don't hate them, they just have terminal cases of White Guy Opinions

Oh I wasn’t talking about that. That’s fine. They do have harmless white guy opinions.

I mean extrapolating they are miserable because they aren’t enthusiastic about another mediocre Marvel movie

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

nine-gear crow posted:

I'm like 8 minutes in and it pretty much perfectly encapsulated the entire dumb zeitgeist

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Puppy Time posted:

Is this as bad as thunderf00t's obsession with Sarkeesian?

nine-gear crow posted:

Is this like when Jordan Owen spent like the equivalent of a month's worth of time screaming about Anita Sarkeesian from his bathtub?

It's worse because EVS was a legitimately successful comic book artist before he torpedoed his own career.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Though EVS is also insane. Like pretending that some gay people somewhere called him a great ally and king of the gays despite being firmly alt right

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

SunAndSpring posted:

I agree with their broader take that most old white dude film critics are an irrelevant sideshow and that any real efforts to get films more diverse should be focusing on actors, directors, and the rest of the people that actually make films, most old white dude film critics actually love liberal stuff, and that a big budget action movie about a superhero is not a feminist experience. It's said in a dumb way, but ultimately holy loving poo poo the amount of takes I've seen where people are so happy this thing made almost half a billion is so bizarre, considering that ultimately those Disney execs are going to spend their take of that loot doing way more effective right wing poo poo than, I dunno, xXTheGamingDemonXx or whatever the gently caress these nerds are called will ever do with a boring video saying the MCU is ruined forever by this film.

thats why i hate the culture war stuff period. yeah divirsty in media and jobs is great and good (as a person with physical handicaps the first level of wolfenstein TNC kicked rear end) but trying to turn some AAA blockbuster into some deep meaningful victory is dumb. like yeah, they are good and its great diversity makes money but lol. the other thing that weirds me out is how both sides get off on the idea that the other side is enraged and brag about that being a big reason for seeing/reading/playing said thing. its loving dumb and i am super guilty of it too, but i saw captain marvel because it seemed interesting and a fun time with my friend, not "i gotta piss off MarcusAugustusHitler1488" gently caress that sad gently caress, if he wants to waste his life crying over stupid poo poo, then gently caress him. hope he gets banned when he screams the N word.

thats depressing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RONGY5ju6qI

Bennett's latest review got taken down because litigious fucks and Youtube's incompetence are driving content creators up the wall.