Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Pilchenstein posted:

It's a deleted scene but I assumed this was because they'd flicked the switch to make him learn stuff, so he seemed less robotic to the dogs.

Ah, yes. The old "flick the switch to change his scent and mask the sounds his parts make when he moves" trope. That makes sense.

It's a minor quibble and I love the film(s) but if they'd stayed consistent it could have made for a cool scene.

"What are they barking at? Easy, girl" (eyes terminator with suspicion - tensions escalate - quizzical looks) and then have Sarrah remember the detail and make up some poo poo about how uncle Arnie has 7 cats or always carries jerky his pockets and eats it constantly. The militia wouldn't know about the about the strategy of using dogs so having a scene where they're reacting to something would play well I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
People biting and scraping forks against their teeth. I don't know if it's ADR or they're actually doing it, but it drives me bugshit.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The dogs aren't detecting terminators because they're robots, the dogs are detecting them because they're evil.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
The only reason dogs deal with us at all is they know soon we will be dead and they will have an entire pile of bones to gnaw on. The terminators will give them no bones so that's why the dogs snitch on them.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Dogs will delay eating your corpse long enough for the meat to go bad.

If they like you cats might spare your face.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Or get this, they could have a scene where the T 800 does a perfect dog woof, and all the dogs realise he’s part dog and lie down. The T 800 breaks the fourth wall, does a thumbs up and says ‘I’ll be bark’. End scene.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
The dogs have to be trained, same as all guard dogs. It's not like every dog intrinsically knows what a Terminator is.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Len posted:

I honestly don't think I've seen the original still to this day but Arnold never came across as a bad guy to me :shrug:

Watch the original??? :confused:
Because that's why you don't get it...

...I mean what do you even expect buddy?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Zaphod42 posted:

Watch the original??? :confused:
Because that's why you don't get it...

...I mean what do you even expect buddy?

The conversation is "T2s marketing ruined the twist Arnold is a good guy"

I was born in 89. T2 came out in 91. I don't remember seeing it until a worn VHS tape so the marketing probably didn't have a big effect on me. At no point in my life did I ever think Arnold was a bad guy in T2.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
T2 was my first R-rated movie and I don't remember being shocked by the reveal but also I was 12 and probably distracted by all the violence my dad was letting me watch. Might have been different if I saw the original first.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
I had a VHS tape with Terminator, Robocop, and Red Dawn in SLP grainy glory which we watched over and over and over.
I don't even like T2 because I hated John Connor and wanted him to die. I prefer the first one and the third one.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I saw T2 when it was re-released in 2017 (or 2018, can't remember). It's hard to quantify how good a CGI heavy (for the time) movie from 1991 still looks on a big screen. I'm hesitant to buy Starship Troopers in 4k because I have a sinking sensation it's not going to look as good as I remember.

The last movie that surprised me was probably Cabin in the Woods. Going into that without any prior knowledge was fun.

Aleph Null posted:

I had a VHS tape with Terminator, Robocop, and Red Dawn in SLP grainy glory which we watched over and over and over.
I don't even like T2 because I hated John Connor and wanted him to die. I prefer the first one and the third one.

The 3rd one doesn't get the respect it deserves.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Krispy Wafer posted:

The 3rd one doesn't get the respect it deserves.

Are you saying it deserves more respect because of the ending?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Bogus Adventure posted:

It deserves more respect because it's not Terminator 4 or 5.

The ending was good though.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Krispy Wafer posted:

I saw T2 when it was re-released in 2017 (or 2018, can't remember). It's hard to quantify how good a CGI heavy (for the time) movie from 1991 still looks on a big screen. I'm hesitant to buy Starship Troopers in 4k because I have a sinking sensation it's not going to look as good as I remember.

While there are a few dodgy moments of course, for the most part Starship Troopers holds up really well in 4k. It was one of those movies that was made when supplementing the CGI with practical stuff was considered a requirement to make the effects work, so it all still looks pretty drat good. And the bugs were kinda designed with the limitations of the current tech in mind, they're fairly simple texture-wise so for the most part they don't stand out as dated.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Krispy Wafer posted:

Cabin in the Woods

It gains SO much more on the rewatch, especially if you delve a little bit into the tropes behind it. Movies with mikey has an amazing vid on it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbKnWsnq2jk

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Bogus Adventure posted:

That's why I like it. I did not see that coming. They went and did it and all the foreshadowing was there and the first two movies were right and it was a fitting end. It was awesome.
That's why I like it.

Also https://youtu.be/kayFrIR-Qfw

Aleph Null has a new favorite as of 23:30 on Mar 11, 2019

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Yeah, I'd say Starship holds up pretty well. The fact that they're rendering insects helps a lot

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

BiggerBoat posted:

Ah, yes. The old "flick the switch to change his scent and mask the sounds his parts make when he moves" trope. That makes sense.

It's a minor quibble and I love the film(s) but if they'd stayed consistent it could have made for a cool scene.

"What are they barking at? Easy, girl" (eyes terminator with suspicion - tensions escalate - quizzical looks) and then have Sarrah remember the detail and make up some poo poo about how uncle Arnie has 7 cats or always carries jerky his pockets and eats it constantly. The militia wouldn't know about the about the strategy of using dogs so having a scene where they're reacting to something would play well I think.
I mean, one of the big themes in the film is that even a robot designed to murder people can discover its humanity when given a chance but yeah, it would be better if they did a joke about him owning cats instead. :v:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Pilchenstein posted:

Arnie being the good guy is definitely meant to be a surprise in T2 because otherwise the T1000 wouldn't just copy the cop's clothes, it'd copy his face too like it does with every other person in the film. :v:

The whole setup of T2 is designed to mirror T1. There's more sense in noting the differences, as they're all deliberately inserted to conceal the fact that the T-1000 isn't human. Reese is shown arriving shaking from the trip; the T-1000 is not shown arriving because it wouldn't do that. Reese is shown putting the stolen trousers on, whereas the T-1000 getting dressed is presented as a narrative shortcut because of course it didn't really take them. Last and most significant, though, is that both Reese and the T-1000 arrive after Arnie. Having done all these things to mirror the original movie, the viewer is being led to believe that it's also the case that the antagonist arrived first and the protector followed.

An IIMM for T2 - why does the T-1000 appear to have arrived naked? It could have imitated clothes all along.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Cotton is organic and the T1000 is very picky over his wardrobe.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Jedit posted:

An IIMM for T2 - why does the T-1000 appear to have arrived naked? It could have imitated clothes all along.

Naked people are able to timetravel because The Time God is easily embarrassed and doesn't look at them.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Len posted:

The conversation is "T2s marketing ruined the twist Arnold is a good guy"

I was born in 89. T2 came out in 91. I don't remember seeing it until a worn VHS tape so the marketing probably didn't have a big effect on me. At no point in my life did I ever think Arnold was a bad guy in T2.

Ah. I thought you were saying you never saw the original movie. Aka T1, where Arnold was def the villain, and would set you up to think he would be by default in T2, marketing or no.

Seeing T2 before T1 is the only way to really miss that...

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Zaphod42 posted:

Ah. I thought you were saying you never saw the original movie. Aka T1, where Arnold was def the villain, and would set you up to think he would be by default in T2, marketing or no.

Seeing T2 before T1 is the only way to really miss that...

I hadn't. But again the conversation was people saying T2 is cut in a way that it's a shock when you find out Arnold isn't a bad guy. But going into T2 blind I never once thought Arnold was a bad guy and only saw him as the good guy. So there was no twist or shocking reveal that he was there to save John.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar

Jedit posted:

It is still imitating a human, and humans have to go back naked. Gotta keep the resistance assuming.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Len posted:

I hadn't. But again the conversation was people saying T2 is cut in a way that it's a shock when you find out Arnold isn't a bad guy. But going into T2 blind I never once thought Arnold was a bad guy and only saw him as the good guy. So there was no twist or shocking reveal that he was there to save John.

It's entirely dependent on having seen the first movie, that's the point. It's really the only high profile role where Arnold played a bad guy so if you didn't see it then of course you will assume going in that he's the good guy by default. It's not a "shock" that he isn't the bad guy, but it's cut to be ambiguous up to that moment in the hallway. It could go either way.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Len posted:

So the scenes where Arnold is tracking John Connor while carrying around with a shotgun hidden in a box of roses isn't meant to trick you at all?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

So the scenes where Arnold is tracking John Connor while carrying around with a shotgun hidden in a box of roses isn't meant to trick you at all?

I mean this was the 90s in America walking into places with a gun wasn't as common as it is now.

But I'm just saying what I remember of T2 which was Arnold being a good guy and obviously not the bad guy because his intro is played for laughs vs beating down a cop

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Maybe in the early 90s people actually thought Bad to the Bone was badass.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Henchman of Santa posted:

Maybe in the early 90s people actually thought Bad to the Bone was badass.

"Maybe"

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I saw T2 in theaters (I was in high school), and while the film is cut to make you think that the T-1000 is a regular good guy and Arnold is the bad guy, the trailers at the time left no ambiguity. We knew going into the film that the T-800 was the good guy.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Yeah that's what started the T2 discussion. Marketers are poo poo.

In the Soup Nazi episode Newman gets really excited about the jambalaya when jambalaya isn't a soup.

Mu Zeta has a new favorite as of 02:54 on Mar 12, 2019

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The Dark Knight

So after the Joker blows up the Batmobile he chases the truck with Harvey Dent by blowing up like 20 cars, goes through an underground mall and blasts through 8 glass doors.

If you live Gotham is this just a known hazard that at any moment your poo poo might get blown to pieces by a clown or a dude in a bat suit? What are your insurance premiums like? Can you sue Batman for blowing up your car or is that considered an act of god in an insurance clause? If you live in Metrepolis can you get specific Superman insurance in case he throws Zod through your studio apartment?

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

Your Gay Uncle posted:

The Dark Knight

So after the Joker blows up the Batmobile he chases the truck with Harvey Dent by blowing up like 20 cars, goes through an underground mall and blasts through 8 glass doors.

If you live Gotham is this just a known hazard that at any moment your poo poo might get blown to pieces by a clown or a dude in a bat suit? What are your insurance premiums like? Can you sue Batman for blowing up your car or is that considered an act of god in an insurance clause? If you live in Metrepolis can you get specific Superman insurance in case he throws Zod through your studio apartment?

That's considered an act of Zod.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's sometimes a thing in the comics and often in the cartoons that if you live in Gotham you see so much weird poo poo that eventually nothing phases you anymore, like Florida.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7T8y3Af3dH0

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

Mu Zeta posted:

In the Soup Nazi episode Newman gets really excited about the jambalaya when jambalaya isn't a soup.

Correct. It’s a sandwich.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Len posted:

Right but if you'd seen T1 then it would be a shock

aaaaaah

Basebf555 posted:

It's entirely dependent on having seen the first movie, that's the point. It's really the only high profile role where Arnold played a bad guy so if you didn't see it then of course you will assume going in that he's the good guy by default. It's not a "shock" that he isn't the bad guy, but it's cut to be ambiguous up to that moment in the hallway. It could go either way.

Yes, this.

Sequels building on things in the past film and depending on you having seen that film for things to work is... how sequels kinda work?

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

imo the newest Mission Impossible is how one should do modern action right. I loved that movie, and spent almost the entire runtime thoroughly engrossed.

I say almost because despite how nerve-wracking and badass the bathroom fight scene was, I couldn't help thinking that in a night club that large, packed with that many people, that the bathroom would without a doubt be FILLED with dudes the entire time, with some type of security posted outside the door. You would not have enough time or privacy to have a ten-minute gripping fight to the death, smashing toilets and firing off pistols without alerting literally everyone in the club.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

God Hole posted:

imo the newest Mission Impossible is how one should do modern action right. I loved that movie, and spent almost the entire runtime thoroughly engrossed.

I say almost because despite how nerve-wracking and badass the bathroom fight scene was, I couldn't help thinking that in a night club that large, packed with that many people, that the bathroom would without a doubt be FILLED with dudes the entire time, with some type of security posted outside the door. You would not have enough time or privacy to have a ten-minute gripping fight to the death, smashing toilets and firing off pistols without alerting literally everyone in the club.

Also because lol the reload-your-fists moment, but that, once again, was almost entirely the fault of marketers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Your Gay Uncle posted:

The Dark Knight

Powerless on NBC a couple of seasons ago was originally announced as being about an insurance company who dealt with superhero damage in the DC universe.

It ended up being retooled to be about a department of Wayne Enterprises that develops products to protect yourself from superhero damage or something. I never watched it.