Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Where would I find like old interior design photos? We recently bought a raised ranch from the 60s (68 specifically) and I'd love to get some ideas about what was "modern, good design" from back then. It's just a raised ranch in an old housing development so it's probably not super MCM, but when I search I get a lot of that stuff. I'm looking more for what John and Jane Middle Class would be getting in their late 60s house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
It's almost the great northern but it's missing the water pipe that coop hangs his feet off of

https://i.imgur.com/EpyLqfh.gifv

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

moist turtleneck posted:

It's almost the great northern but it's missing the water pipe that coop hangs his feet off of

wonder how many people broke pipes doing this in their own house

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Did anyone see last Friday's Questionable Content? I'm about 95% sure the first frame was referencing this thread.

https://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=3955

The Something Awful forums: still relevant in TYOOL 2019.

That's way too specific. If he wasn't before, Jeph is a confirmed goon.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Relentless posted:

That's way too specific. If he wasn't before, Jeph is a confirmed goon.

it's been known since before qc was particularly popular

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

Suspect Bucket posted:

An artificial turf bathroom floor that drains would absolutely rule in a bathroom. Just need good ventilation, but a nice cross breeze, some plants, and bam, jungle shower.

if you're going to go this far you should just do an outdoor shower.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

beep-beep car is go posted:

Where would I find like old interior design photos? We recently bought a raised ranch from the 60s (68 specifically) and I'd love to get some ideas about what was "modern, good design" from back then. It's just a raised ranch in an old housing development so it's probably not super MCM, but when I search I get a lot of that stuff. I'm looking more for what John and Jane Middle Class would be getting in their late 60s house.

Try looking at stuff from the early-mid 70s as well, since your house would’ve only been two years old at the start of that decade. I know that the 70s get stereotyped as being all about garishness and sex parties and excess and brown and shag and whatnot but there was also a lot of seriously timeless design happening during those years. A lot of “MCM” design is actually from the 70s. When you get past some of the more dated trends a lot of what was going on at the time is just a continuation and maturation of the same design trends that were popular in the 40s/50s/60s (and have arguably remained popular. We say it a lot ITT but some design is just timeless and you can point to appearances in film/tv/photography over the decades for proof). A lot of the trends popular today first showed up in the 70s.

Also don’t be afraid of “MCM”-looking design if your goal is to stay true to the house’s character. If their style was contemporary then John and Jane Middle Class would‘ve owned a number of pieces that might be considered “MCM” today. The ethos behind that aesthetic was predominantly leftist in inspiration and all about making design accessible and democratic, so just because we’ve associated a certain look with expensiveness and prestige today doesn’t mean that it was so back in 1969.

Photo books looking at that era can be great. I have one called Interiors ‘74 that I picked up at a used bookstore a few years back and love.

Finally, I’d encourage you to look at old IKEA catalogs from the time period. Also if you’re on a budget/you really want to do what middle class people in 1970 might, look at IKEA as your friend.

The late 60s is when IKEA first began to develop a foothold in the US and they took the underlying idea of MCM and used it as their guiding business model. Probably more than any other brand or manufacturer, IKEA is responsible for getting normal, working class Americans comfortable with clean lines and Scandinavian modernity in the name of affordable design. POANG armchair? Released in 1970. BILLY bookcase? Debuted in 1978 as a flat-pack refinement on the existing Scandinavian-style modern bookcase (of which tons were sold in the US throughout the 60s and early 70s and of which I have an exemplar from a small danish manufacturer if you don’t believe me).

My point is that you don’t exactly have to go out of your way or break the bank to make your house look period appropriate. You’ll have a much easier time if you’re willing to fudge some of the details a bit or make the house “late 60s/70s appropriate” rather than “time capsule from 1968, on the dot, no later” and if you’re smart about the history/aesthetics behind certain contemporary pieces you can do something really gorgeous for comparatively little money.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

My Lovely Horse posted:

Welcome to the Great Northern, Agent Cooper.

:aaa:

moist turtleneck posted:

I bet this is fantastic for your back

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

wonder how many people broke pipes doing this in their own house

Judging from the schadenfreude thread, quite a few.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I can say with absolute confidence that 3/4 inch is good enough

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

Electric Bugaloo posted:

if you’re willing to fudge some of the details a bit or make the house “late 60s/70s appropriate” rather than “time capsule from 1968, on the dot, no later” and if you’re smart about the history/aesthetics behind certain contemporary pieces you can do something really gorgeous for comparatively little money.

So much good advice, thanks! Here’s what we’re working with:

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Most of the good/interesting design photos I've posted ITT come from the Househunting Blog. There's a lot of neat stuff in the blog archives under the mid-century and 1960s tags.

Metaline
Aug 20, 2003

This is the mirror image of the house I grew up in! I wonder if your layout is the same. Where are you located? I grew up in Georgia but a high school friend near Toronto had the exact same house. This baby gets around!

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

As bad as the UI/UX can be, pinterest can be a goldmine for this kind of thing because once you find what you're looking for it'll just show you infinite permutations of that thing.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Hey raised ranch! Whatchu doin all white like that? Whatchu doin pretending you some kind of colonial or mcmansion or some poo poo? Did some know-nothing HGTV white bitch paint you up like that in the 90s? The early 2000s? Well that’s some bullshit ya heard you best get some design-appropriate tones on you. Get that youthful glow.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
i think thats snow, not paint

BattleHamster posted:

if you're going to go this far you should just do an outdoor shower.

not all of us have outdoor space, especially in crowded europe. plus astro turf is good for exfoliating with. someone find some suppliers, quick!

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Hey raised ranch! Whatchu doin all white like that? Whatchu doin pretending you some kind of colonial or mcmansion or some poo poo? Did some know-nothing HGTV white bitch paint you up like that in the 90s? The early 2000s? Well that’s some bullshit ya heard you best get some design-appropriate tones on you. Get that youthful glow.

It’s aluminum siding, so it was probably made white relatively early on in its life. But outside colors are on the list!

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Try looking at stuff from the early-mid 70s as well, since your house would’ve only been two years old at the start of that decade. I know that the 70s get stereotyped as being all about garishness and sex parties and excess and brown and shag and whatnot but there was also a lot of seriously timeless design happening during those years. A lot of “MCM” design is actually from the 70s. When you get past some of the more dated trends a lot of what was going on at the time is just a continuation and maturation of the same design trends that were popular in the 40s/50s/60s (and have arguably remained popular. We say it a lot ITT but some design is just timeless and you can point to appearances in film/tv/photography over the decades for proof). A lot of the trends popular today first showed up in the 70s.

My point is that you don’t exactly have to go out of your way or break the bank to make your house look period appropriate. You’ll have a much easier time if you’re willing to fudge some of the details a bit or make the house “late 60s/70s appropriate” rather than “time capsule from 1968, on the dot, no later” and if you’re smart about the history/aesthetics behind certain contemporary pieces you can do something really gorgeous for comparatively little money.

This is an exceptionally good post.

This is a mirror image of my aunt and uncle's house in Ithaca. I wonder how the floor plan compares.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

barbecue at the folks posted:

As befits the original intent. Ladies love bathrooms that go fast!

Oh, you'll go fast when you see it!

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Six-Of-Hearts posted:

But how would you line the tiles up? It would ruin your design.

To be quite honest, I'm kind of a sloppy quilter, so if the tiles don't quite line up it would be pretty accurate.

Also here is the source for the shower garden: https://www.improvisedlife.com/2013/03/20/garden-in-the-shower-a-moss-bathmat/

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

The left half of that house is the right half of my parent's house. They have one level on the other half of the house though.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

Metaline posted:

This is the mirror image of the house I grew up in! I wonder if your layout is the same. Where are you located? I grew up in Georgia but a high school friend near Toronto had the exact same house. This baby gets around!

Zamboni Rodeo posted:

This is a mirror image of my aunt and uncle's house in Ithaca. I wonder how the floor plan compares.

The house is just outside of Albany NY, I quite enjoy some steamed hams now and then. Here's my bad drawings of the layout:

Upstairs

Downstairs

The drawings are only a basic idea and I've never gotten the scale right in my entire life, but the .5bath and laundry room really is that narrow. The dryer sits in a little bump out that bumps into the garage.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Thanks for the drawing, regardless of scale. It's actually a fair bit different than my aunt and uncle's place. I always find it interesting all the different ways an interior space can be configured, even if the outsides are fairly similar.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Which season is barred from the three seasons room?

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Witching.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Pumpkin Spice Latte.

Real Answer: It was apparently a deck that was enclosed a while ago. It's bright and airy and has a BOSS whole house vent fan that is excellent for drawing kitchen smoke out of the house, but it has no insulation so it's very chilly in the winter. In the Spring/Summer/Fall we plan of making a lot of use of it.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Pumpkin Spice Latte.

Real Answer: It was apparently a deck that was enclosed a while ago. It's bright and airy and has a BOSS whole house vent fan that is excellent for drawing kitchen smoke out of the house, but it has no insulation so it's very chilly in the winter. In the Spring/Summer/Fall we plan of making a lot of use of it.

That's like our porch, it was enclosed but not insulated. Which sucks, because it's a nice room but just intolerable in winter.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
gang any idea how to split a modest-sized living room (15'8" x 11'7" or 4.78m x 3.53m) into a small bedroom and a living room? i call it the unliving room ha. theres a big 3-pane window too that i goes all the way across the room basicaly.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
:thunk:

perhaps a wall or 3?

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
good thinking. but how to ensuere there's natural light in both rooms and sound insulation beteeen the two as well? i suppose i could divide them widthways but that seems nuts

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Okay hear me out: how high is this room

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Split the room horizontally, just cut the joists so you can sink the lower room into the floor a little. You could do the same to the ceiling joists to raise the upper room. It's obviously the best option because it literally doubles the square footage.

My Lovely Horse posted:

Okay hear me out: how high is this room
No, officer, it's "hi, how is this room"

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

The bedroom really needs to be only high enough to lie down.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

My Lovely Horse posted:

The bedroom really needs to be only high enough to lie down.

The same is true for the living room, technically.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

Breath Ray posted:

gang any idea how to split a modest-sized living room (15'8" x 11'7" or 4.78m x 3.53m) into a small bedroom and a living room? i call it the unliving room ha. theres a big 3-pane window too that i goes all the way across the room basicaly.

There's midcentury style furniture called a room divider. maybe start there? not sure what your house brand is?

https://www.crateandbarrel.com/beckett-6-high-shelf-sable/f49441

or a two way bookcase

https://www.brunobarriere.com/tag/bookcase-room-divider-furniture/

or a simple decorative screen

https://www.hgtv.com/design/decorating/design-101/make-space-with-clever-room-dividers-pictures

for some varying examples.

cheese eats mouse fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Mar 12, 2019

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Breath Ray posted:

Have you heard of capsule hotels?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Breath Ray posted:

Where's the door?

?

NotJustANumber99 fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Mar 12, 2019

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Floorplan please!!!

I also recommend a room divider. It doesn't have to be a folding screen, a tall shelf would work very well.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

moist turtleneck posted:

I can say with absolute confidence that 3/4 inch is good enough

yeah, that way it doesn't dangle into the picture

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

PRADA SLUT posted:

yeah, that way it doesn't dangle into the picture

:eyepop: