Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

bonus hole boy posted:

I guess I'm still not seeing where any of these issues (bullshit as they are) are caused by the crew itself, and not by policies implemented on them? Like the fact that you want to generalize it to 'gently caress day crew everywhere' should be a giant red flag that the problems are structural and blame should fall on the people who provide that faulty structure.

Being mad about a lovely crew just seems like being mad at a symptom, which I guess if you just want to make yourself feel better is fine, but it's not really going to accomplish much.

Let me put it this way.

gently caress Dayshift, especially Dayshift's Management. Every department has (at least) one manager specifically for each shift. It's their job to run their area. Also gently caress upper management. Side effect of Bezos declaring "$15 company minimum wage" has been that the building management has done everything they can to cut our support staff, running on the bare minimum that aren't doing the main job of that department (unloading/loading trucks, putting items in/taking them out of storage, packing boxes, etc.) Was sent to single item packing where they had a single woman running not just Problem Solve (missing/damaged items, bad barcodes, etc.) but both SLAM lines (the machines that spit out and automatically place the shipping labels on a box)... And Single's Dayshift left her with a giant pile of unsorted, unsolved Problem Solve work and kickouts at both SLAM machines for her to fix.

Oh yeah, also the contractors didn't see a penny from that $15 company minimum wage. I'm pretty sure Amazon Business Maintenance's only customer is Amazon, but they're still being paid janitor wages.

Edit: I know I bitch a lot but...meh, most of the time I really do like the place and my co-workers. Just gotta vent somewhere. I'd be facing just as bad poo poo if not worse elsewhere, for less money/benefits.

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Mar 12, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
So THAT's what happened at Kroger/Frys. I wondered why it went from a decent place to absolute poo poo. I heard they are struggling now with profits because who knew decreasing your stock and certain foods meant people went elsewhere?

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Lol.i halbve already saod i inferno circstances wanttpgback

Cowslips Warren posted:

So THAT's what happened at Kroger/Frys. I wondered why it went from a decent place to absolute poo poo. I heard they are struggling now with profits because who knew decreasing your stock and certain foods meant people went elsewhere?

Kroger has been trying to squeeze out the older employees for a while, both to reduce staff costs and to squeeze the ( lovely ) union there by replacing the regulars with whoever the gently caress. The problem with this is that retail sucks rear end and when you replace staff that ranges from 'competent' to 'tolerant if not enthusiastic' about their jobs with people who can't make it through one shift without quitting, hey, guess what the gently caress happens to the efficiency of your store operations?

They recently had a pretty big argument with their union over a very minimal wage increase, to the point where the union was telling employees to talk to customers about it. It was tremendously stupid and resulted in mediocre concessions- but that's not the point.

The point is that Kroger chose to have this fight with their employees as they were getting ready to roll out a new method of managing their grocery backstock and inventory, among other things.

Let me tell you: every employee who's old enough to have bills that matter and sweat the zeros on their paycheck? They care when the company tells them to sit and spin over twenty-five cents an hour. Every single veteran retail worker they had wanted out of that store, and they were just running out the clock on their pensions. I saw first hand how many amazing people the company failed to retain because of their morale, their lack of pay, and their inability to provide any incentive to stay.

I'm not just talking good workers- I'm talking people who were charismatic, people who the customers would come to the store to see. People who made the customers feel welcome.

Those people quit. They didn't just leave; some went on to work for their competitors. Some left to pursue their dream jobs- one of the ones I know, a great guy, got a full-time position working with at-risk kids.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Kroger having some massive staff problems over the next five to ten years, especially if their competitors continue to raise wages while they drag their asses across the backs of their employees.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Cowslips Warren posted:

I went into a Fry's once a few years ago while visiting a relative in AZ and it's pretty bleak, yeah. I think around that time Kroger started remodeling a lot of chains to be more like their mid-west stores, which I guess have a sort of streamlined sterility to them or something. They tried to do it here in CA and it did not go well. Customers were so unhappy that they just scrapped the whole thing on this side of the Colorado River, I guess.

Kroger as a whole seems to be doing fine with profits according to sales figures. I work for a Kroger chain and it's really not horrible for the most part. Out of the major grocers in the area, everyone else seems to be suffering more than we are. We've closed some stores that weren't making money, but that has more to do with our company absorbing nearby competitors years ago, turning them into our stores, and then having too many stores in close proximity to each other. If we can't beat someone on prices, we can (usually) beat them on service, and if we can't beat them on quality, we can beat them on prices (usually).

BHB
Aug 28, 2011

Alkydere posted:

Let me put it this way.

I really do get it, and for what it's worth I apologize for jumping in and dumping my hot take when venting is all you were looking to do. This thread really should be for venting as much as anything else imo, and half the reason I lurk it is to know that other people deal with the same dumb poo poo I do (and can see it for just how dumb it is).

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

It really is 100% the managers fault though. They have to keep people on task. They have to make sure work is evenly distributed. Locations aren't going to have a team of Kobes, and they have to be able to handle that. If day or night crew is slacking, they have to fix it.

Also gently caress the day crew, those treacherous cockroaches :colbert:

Pentaghastly
Mar 26, 2016
gently caress the day crew

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

I shall sing you the song of my people.
gently caress y'all night crew slackers. :colbert:

Our night crew is actually pretty great at what they do but I'll be damned if I can figure out what I did to one of our closing shift supervisors. She won't even speak to me. I only ever see her for like a minute at a time so it doesn't matter much but Christ girl, did I poo poo in your Cheerios somehow?

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer
gently caress day shift. Night shift 4 lyfe

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I start at 2 am, am I day or night? Regardless, gently caress whoever works before me. They do poo poo like empty a box of product, bring the box back into the refrigerator and leave it in there. Despite us having a bin in the room that they pass 2 steps after stepping in the back room that they can throw the cardboard in. Or if there is a box full of rotten stuff, instead of putting it out with the trash they throw it on top of the cilantro, cause they know I do that in the morning so I have to dispose of it for them.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
ALL I WANT IS MY BOSS TO STOP PLAYING MAJHONG ALL DAY AND JUST HELP ME FRONT PRODUCT AND PUT UP PRICE TAGS FOR THE KOVE OF ALL THAT IS GOOD AND HOLY.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

MC Hawking posted:

ALL I WANT IS MY BOSS TO STOP PLAYING MAJHONG ALL DAY AND JUST HELP ME FRONT PRODUCT AND PUT UP PRICE TAGS FOR THE KOVE OF ALL THAT IS GOOD AND HOLY.

lovely puzzle game or like actual rummy (and if so, Chinese or Japanese style)

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

silvergoose posted:

lovely puzzle game or like actual rummy (and if so, Chinese or Japanese style)

I can’t blame him, I play Riichi more than I work.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Well I have my performance review today. During a three hour shift.

I don't know how my boss expects me to be productive when I have a shift that is only twice as long as the time it takes me to walk to work and back.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

bonus hole boy posted:

I really do get it, and for what it's worth I apologize for jumping in and dumping my hot take when venting is all you were looking to do. This thread really should be for venting as much as anything else imo, and half the reason I lurk it is to know that other people deal with the same dumb poo poo I do (and can see it for just how dumb it is).

Fair enough. And sorry for coming off angry at your response. It took me a while to realize/remember that not every shift has their own dedicated managers at other places. It's still a shitshow though. One of our water spiders (anyone who does a non-problem-solve indirect roll is a "water spider", no don't ask me where the name came from, I don't know. Pack Spiders are basically box suppliers) came back from vacation Monday and immediately strained his wrist...and didn't admit it until todaynight so he got to basically spend an hour in the AMCARE office and go back to packing. Did get to have a moment of levity with him:

My co-worker tonight at work: "Ew!"
Me: "What, it's just Shibari lube, you must have packed 1,000 bottles of that by now."
Co-worker: "No, this!" holds up a "Sonic Prostate massager"
Me: "What, have you never watched Dr. Who? That's a Sonic Screwdriver!"

Pentaghastly
Mar 26, 2016
Speaking of night shift and being a sleep deprived shut-in loser all the time, I'm up early as gently caress to drop my dog off at the groomer and I'm gonna give y'all some tea

We think our manager is having..."relations" with a new shift from a store the next town over. Yesterday afternoon he disappeared with her for over an hour while my coworker ran a 3 man floor during our lunch-time peak. This is a thing that's been happening, its not the first instance. I've seen them leisurely having lunch together on the patio while my coworker was inside struggling.

Something's weird about it and maybe they're not having a full blown affair but...it's just fishy. Also he's asked us many times if we'd like for her to transfer to our store (no, bitch)

Tea

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

areyoucontagious posted:

I can’t blame him, I play Riichi more than I work.

Riichi is the best.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Pentaghastly posted:

Speaking of night shift and being a sleep deprived shut-in loser all the time, I'm up early as gently caress to drop my dog off at the groomer and I'm gonna give y'all some tea

We think our manager is having..."relations" with a new shift from a store the next town over. Yesterday afternoon he disappeared with her for over an hour while my coworker ran a 3 man floor during our lunch-time peak. This is a thing that's been happening, its not the first instance. I've seen them leisurely having lunch together on the patio while my coworker was inside struggling.

Something's weird about it and maybe they're not having a full blown affair but...it's just fishy. Also he's asked us many times if we'd like for her to transfer to our store (no, bitch)

Tea

No, he’s loving her, 100%.

Anonymous tip to HR time.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Nah, they're loving.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
It doesn't matter if they're loving each other, only if they're loving you.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Them loving each other will eventually wind up with other employees getting hosed.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

One of the guys who used to work at my store had his wife come to work with him at that very same store.

Now I know what you're thinking- they hosed at work.

And you'd be wrong, because the ASM was loving his wife at work. In the store manager's office.

Now that ASM has a store of his own and that employee's wife.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

One of the guys who used to work at my store had his wife come to work with him at that very same store.

Now I know what you're thinking- they hosed at work.

And you'd be wrong, because the ASM was loving his wife at work. In the store manager's office.

Now that ASM has a store of his own and that employee's wife.

Congratulations on your promotion and upcoming marriage!

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

The subject has come up before in this thread but of the couple dozen managers I've worked with, for, or around--some in the white collar world, some in retail, some male, some female--90% of them were loving a subordinate. Well, OK, more like 75%, because 15% of them were loving their boss or another superior. And almost all of them were married.

It's inappropriate, but it happens everywhere, all the time. And senior management and HR look the other way, because most of them are also loving subordinates themselves.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Probably because retail employees comprise most of the people they deal with for twelve hours a day and retail employees are the only ones even vaguely impressed by "retail manager" as a title.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Probably because retail employees comprise most of the people they deal with for twelve hours a day and retail employees are the only ones even vaguely impressed by "retail manager" as a title.

It's more the close proximity thing. It presents an opportunity to develop a relationship, and sometimes that relationship turns into very loudly having sex with the book keeper in her office and god drat it Joe you are a loving weirdo gently caress

Pentaghastly
Mar 26, 2016
You know the shift I mentioned that was demoted? Our DM gave him his position back, completely overriding my SMs decision.

What if they're loving?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I just love it when someone who asks me to cover for him comes to the store on that day, despite telling me he had to be out of town all day.

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.walmart.sparkCity

This is a game where you play a manager at Walmart.

The reviews are absolutely spot on.

quote:

This is a great insight into what managers really do in retail. It is alot of work for sure! However, my issue is that you cant delegate tasks to employees the way you should be able to for help. The time moves too quick and you're always behind. Spills happen and instead of another employee being able to take care of it they don't. It should be whoever is nearby, not just the one person. It makes it so you can't do the work you need to do. Needs lots of work. Good idea though.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Budgie posted:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.walmart.sparkCity

This is a game where you play a manager at Walmart.

The reviews are absolutely spot on.
I want them respond to all reviews like that one with "working as intended".

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
My associates are trying to unionize but the only button I can press summons the Wal-Mart crisis response team and they start hitting my associates in the knees with pipes. How do I fix this bug?

Pentaghastly
Mar 26, 2016
My manager wrote down a 5 gallon coffee order on the wrong day.

After I spent 30 minutes brewing 5 full batches of coffee for a lady who was admittedly very kind and understanding, I texted my SM telling him he hosed up and he said "you should have double checked with them and made sure it was actually today"

No apology whatsoever for his gently caress up that took me off my only break for the goddamn day.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

I would have gotten in trouble sending back a catty reply along the lines of, "I'm sorry for assuming I could trust you to do your job correctly. Counting the DM, that makes two of us."

Pentaghastly
Mar 26, 2016
I took my food safety license test today. I got the highest score out of all the supervisors at my store :c00l: literally don't know why they were telling me it's hard. What, you guys didn't peak in public school? It's a multiple choice exam.

Anyway there was a question that loving floored me.

"When cooking RAW PORK in a MICROWAVE, to what temperature do you cook it?"

There were no correct options listed. The answer is "what the gently caress"

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Correct answer "don't".

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Oh boy isn't it fun to deal with guests that do not understand that you have to select our specific store when you look at items online. Some of these Targets people have as the default are hundreds of miles away.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

The Aardvark posted:

Oh boy isn't it fun to deal with guests that do not understand that you have to select our specific store when you look at items online. Some of these Targets people have as the default are hundreds of miles away.

The website is working as intended from corporate's perspective--they're happy to invite less tech-savvy customers to make that mistake. Anything to get them inside the store (or buy online, then ship the product to the proper store. Who cares if the customer is annoyed, we got their money.)

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.
One thing I hate about the online aspect of our grocery stores is that our company puts on deals specifically for those that use our "pick up service". Meaning, the customer is at home on the computer and goes to our website and shops online. They send their requests and the employees here shop for them and have their groceries ready for a small fee for them after a few hours. About those deals specifically for that service, our company never notifies us in any way or form when they have those kick rear end deals for specifically the pickup service and I can't order ahead of time.

Even bigger problem, our company website has our digital coupons and those pick up service deals intertwined. So customers who browse for digital coupons accidentally get hooked onto a pickup service deal and blow up at me when I don't have that ultra cheap item and blow up at me again when I point out on their phone that it says in tiny print that it's only good for when you use our pickup service.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Eric the Mauve posted:

The website is working as intended from corporate's perspective--they're happy to invite less tech-savvy customers to make that mistake. Anything to get them inside the store (or buy online, then ship the product to the proper store. Who cares if the customer is annoyed, we got their money.)

My local grocery store's website does this. Whenever a new store opens, everyone who has a default store in the same state gets automatically switched to the new store without the website telling them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kickshaw
Sep 6, 2012
Our HR person has been a) outing my teams team member to other people in the store, and b) consistently misgendering him "by accident." And because of HR outing him, now other people in the store are consistently misgendering him.

So he's filed a grievance against her, and I'm 100 percent on his side obviously, but I'm also worried that other members of management may retaliate in an under-the-radar way and I'll wind up losing one of my best team members. :(