Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

hobbesmaster posted:

I get that, but theres still not reason for Ned to keep his wife in the dark is there? And then Rob does something truly idiotic because of Jon's treatment later but... you know, Starks.
"His wife" is some stranger he was arranged to marry for the sake of the rebellion, no? I don't think he has much reason to trust her then. It's easy to imagine resentment for, well, the same reasons there is already between Catelyn and Jon - he's not her child. She still has to face the embarassment of her husband publicly having a bastard, I think that was probably worse than the stranger you married "cheating" on you. But then she'd have an ace in the hole - let something slip to Robert and maybe the problem goes away. I think Ned, particularly immediately-after-rebellion Ned, would have been foolish to trust this relative stranger with that knowing what's at stake. Once the lie is set, I can imagine not telling her later. I'm sure he would have told Jon himself at some point though, and it's actually bizarre that he didn't do that before he sent him off to the wall but, well, that's how books work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

"His wife" is some stranger he was arranged to marry for the sake of the rebellion, no? I don't think he has much reason to trust her then. It's easy to imagine resentment for, well, the same reasons there is already between Catelyn and Jon - he's not her child. She still has to face the embarassment of her husband publicly having a bastard, I think that was probably worse than the stranger you married "cheating" on you. But then she'd have an ace in the hole - let something slip to Robert and maybe the problem goes away. I think Ned, particularly immediately-after-rebellion Ned, would have been foolish to trust this relative stranger with that knowing what's at stake. Once the lie is set, I can imagine not telling her later. I'm sure he would have told Jon himself at some point though, and it's actually bizarre that he didn't do that before he sent him off to the wall but, well, that's how books work.

Sure. But that was what 18 years ago at the start of the first book?

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

I wonder if GRRM even knew who Jons mother was by the time Jon went to the wall.

Early drafts she was probably a wildling queen with the power to defeat white walkers using eye-beams.

And Jon discovers this power right before a white walker is about to stab him and his mothers ghost shows up to explain everything.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Katt posted:

I wonder if GRRM even knew who Jons mother was by the time Jon went to the wall.

Early drafts she was probably a wildling queen with the power to defeat white walkers using eye-beams.

And Jon discovers this power right before a white walker is about to stab him and his mothers ghost shows up to explain everything.

Bran telling the story in the crypts about how Rhaegar "raped" Lyanna is in the first book, if I'm not mistaken, I remember figuring out R+L=J without outside influence based on this line alone.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

I'm sure he would have told Jon himself at some point though, and it's actually bizarre that he didn't do that before he sent him off to the wall but, well, that's how books work.

I certainly wouldn't have told a 14 year old that he has a claim to be king of the world.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

genericnick posted:

I certainly wouldn't have told a 14 year old that he has a claim to be king of the world.

Ned just has to tell Jon about his mother though?

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

hobbesmaster posted:

he'd uh...he'd probably work out the rest though, if you gave him half of it.

given that "Rhaegar kidnapped and raped Lyanna" is the accepted line around Winterfell

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

hobbesmaster posted:

I think he was probably going to genuinely tell him everything once he got settled at the wall. What I wonder is if Ned knew about Aemon’s family and wanted him to get familiar with him prior to telling him his true parentage. That way Jon would be safe and secure in a place that accepted him with people in a similar plight along with his uncle. It’s not a bad idea of how to break some truly life shattering news to a child you love.

Everything just went to poo poo like immediately afterwards.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Katt posted:

R+L=J is one of those thinks that was probably already in place by the time GRRM was writing the first book. It's too integral to the story.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

genericnick posted:

Yeah I guess *I* see ned going into danger, but he didn't know he was. Certainly Jon was going into danger though - Ned at least knew they wouldn't see each other for a long while. So sure, I'd prefer to wait, but it sorta seemed like the right time to me. (GRRM's ages are so weird, the idea that he was 14 is pretty ridiculous.)

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Yeah I guess *I* see ned going into danger, but he didn't know he was. Certainly Jon was going into danger though - Ned at least knew they wouldn't see each other for a long while. So sure, I'd prefer to wait, but it sorta seemed like the right time to me. (GRRM's ages are so weird, the idea that he was 14 is pretty ridiculous.)

Was Jon really going into danger? Like the only thing the watch has been doing for the last 1000 years is drink lovely ale and fire arrows at wildling refugees getting too near the wall.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Katt posted:

Was Jon really going into danger? Like the only thing the watch has been doing for the last 1000 years is drink lovely ale and fire arrows at wildling refugees getting too near the wall.

Ranging has to be at least somewhat dangerous.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

hobbesmaster posted:

Ranging has to be at least somewhat dangerous.

All they do is skulk around the woods and assassinate wildlings minding their own business :v:

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Katt posted:

They were definitely presented as hard men risking their lives with too few resources but maybe it was unwarranted - I assumed wildlings as the de facto danger.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

TK-42-1 posted:

I think he was probably going to genuinely tell him everything once he got settled at the wall. What I wonder is if Ned knew about Aemon’s family and wanted him to get familiar with him prior to telling him his true parentage. That way Jon would be safe and secure in a place that accepted him with people in a similar plight along with his uncle.

Aemon isn't Jon's uncle but his grandparents' uncle

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Great grandparents' uncle, Jaehaerys II was omitted in the series.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
they're saving him for the prequels

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

prequels, spinoffs, side stories.

this franchise has legs for decades and they won't need GRRM for any of it.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Katt posted:

Ehh, I think so. I remember reading it the first time back then and going "Hmm, sister dies saying 'Promise me, Ned" and he gets back with a mystery baby (who grows up to be slender and tall compared to his bulkier, stronger half-brother), this is pretty drat obvious unless it's a very cheap red herring".

Then again, this series has the whole Young Griff bullshit as well as the guild of unfailing magical assassins that can be hired by a crazy pirate and no one else in the entire world because it would break the plot, so it's very possible that GRRm still has the dartboard of ideas the used to pick the resolution.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

less laughter posted:

Aemon isn't Jon's uncle but his grandparents' uncle

I meant Benjen but I guess I should have clarified.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Katt posted:

I believe he went to winterfell with a team of elite fighting wildling women and Ramsay caught him and locked him up in a cage with only a quilt made out of the skins of the women for warmth.

We don't know what happened to him - we just have the note from Ramsay.

Katt posted:

I wouldn't say "allowed to join the watch" is right word.

Looks more like Jon was groomed to be disposed of into the watch,

/agree. I think the parallel in our history would be sending lesser sons to join the church. Man, can you imagine how pissed Jon would be if, after he pledges to the wall, Ned is like -"... also you should be the king lol, no take backs. PS don't gently caress your aunt. "

Katt posted:

Cat almost killed baby Jon with super plague using her church powers.

That could have been avoided if Ned had been honest.

refresh me? I don't remember this.

Katt posted:

Yes - there was supposed to be an attraction between him and Arya ( you can see some remnants of it in the Needle scene ). Which becomes "ok" once he knows his background. I don't have source on this, but I think it was from the original editor's notes or something.

oh poo poo that just reminded me.. Isn't there some editors notes where next to the scene of the hound in the graveyard, she asks "Is this the hound?" and he says "no". Or am I making this up?

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

kcroy posted:

Yes - there was supposed to be an attraction between him and Arya ( you can see some remnants of it in the Needle scene ). Which becomes "ok" once he knows his background. I don't have source on this, but I think it was from the original editor's notes or something.

Yeah, it's super okay to gently caress your cousin, that you grew up with as a child, nothing creepy about that at all.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

pseudanonymous posted:

Yeah, it's super okay to gently caress your cousin, that you grew up with as a child, nothing creepy about that at all.

well it's less creepy than than if they were siblings. or banging your aunt. or the incest twins.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Katt posted:

I wouldn't say "allowed to join the watch" is right word.

Looks more like Jon was groomed to be disposed of into the watch,

Ned wanted Jon to stay at Winterfell with Robb, it was Catelyn that refused and said she wouldn't have it. Jon wanted to join Benjen in the Night's Watch so it all ended up working out

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

A Typical Goon posted:

Ned wanted Jon to stay at Winterfell with Robb, it was Catelyn that refused and said she wouldn't have it. Jon wanted to join Benjen in the Night's Watch so it all ended up working out

Well, except for Benjen.

Though I guess they do meet up.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

kcroy posted:

It's from the original outline pitch GRRM sent to his editor.

It's got all sorts of crazy poo poo in it like Arya being the center of a love triangle between Jon and Tyrion. Dany and Drogo invading Westeros together in Book 2. Catelyn, Bran, and Arya going beyond the Wall together, crossing paths with Mance Rayder and then Cat getting ganked by an Other. Oh and Jaime's a straight up villain in this version and becomes the big bad of the series by murdering Joffrey and stealing the throne with, from the sound of it, not a word of protest from Cersei.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

nine-gear crow posted:

It's from the original outline pitch GRRM sent to his editor.

It's got all sorts of crazy poo poo in it like Arya being the center of a love triangle between Jon and Tyrion. Dany and Drogo invading Westeros together in Book 2. Catelyn, Bran, and Arya going beyond the Wall together, crossing paths with Mance Rayder and then Cat getting ganked by an Other. Oh and Jaime's a straight up villain in this version and becomes the big bad of the series by murdering Joffrey and stealing the throne with, from the sound of it, not a word of protest from Cersei.

It makes virtually every character unsympathetic, which is kind of awesome. Dany murders Drogo, Jaime murders everyone (blames Tyrion), Sansa chooses the Lannisters (wed to Joffrey), Bran I guess is the Stark of "dubious loyalty".

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Hail Joffrey!

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

It sucks that we got screwed out of that interesting sounding three book series.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

kcroy posted:

refresh me? I don't remember this.

Cat prayed to the gods to kill Jon and the following day he got some baby super pox. But if the baby survives the first night then it's fine. So cat sat up the whole night and unprayed to get him cured and swore that if the gods saved him then she would accept him as her own and ask that Ned give him the Stark name.

Well the gods went backsies and Jon lived and she did nothing she promised. She couldn't even pretend to not hate him to his face.

Like if she was vaguely practical she would have at least considered that Lord Robb of winterfell might one day have use of a blood brother as a trusted captain in some capacity but noooo.

Edit: Okay the show can kill off little finger now. I'm tired of him. After selling Sansa to two monsters he's still doing the whole "I would do anything to protect you"

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Katt posted:

Cat prayed to the gods to kill Jon and the following day he got some baby super pox. But if the baby survives the first night then it's fine. So cat sat up the whole night and unprayed to get him cured and swore that if the gods saved him then she would accept him as her own and ask that Ned give him the Stark name.

Well the gods went backsies and Jon lived and she did nothing she promised. She couldn't even pretend to not hate him to his face.

Like if she was vaguely practical she would have at least considered that Lord Robb of winterfell might one day have use of a blood brother as a trusted captain in some capacity but noooo.

Edit: Okay the show can kill off little finger now. I'm tired of him. After selling Sansa to two monsters he's still doing the whole "I would do anything to protect you"

I feel like that was show only scene Cat had w/ a show only character, but it's been a hot minute since I read the books. Most of her thoughts about Jon are just 'she could never love Jon or forgive Ned for not sending him away'.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Cat also has that inner monologue in the book where she laments how incredibly ugly Brienne is and how harsh life must be for such an ugly woman.

No mercy at all.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Katt posted:

Season five was a mistake.

E: like other than Hardhome did anything good happen in that season?

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

whowhatwhere posted:

E: like other than Hardhome did anything good happen in that season?

Sandsnake_Fight.gif

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

absolute fucker posted:

As you know, I don't outline my novels. I find that if I know exactly where a book is going, I lose all interest in writing it. I do, however, have some strong notions as to the overall structure of the story I'm telling, and the eventual fate of many of the principle characters in the drama.

I mean... it's all right there.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

whowhatwhere posted:

Everything after season four was a mistake.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Vichan posted:

Everything after season four was a mistake.

Besides Hardhome this is correct.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I liked the Battle of the Bastards too. It was silly but a fun kind of silly.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Besides Hardhome this is correct.

What annoyed me about that was that they clearly left Hardhome by boat yet in the next episode they're north of the Wall trying to come into Castle Black.

Other than that it was a terrific moment. That Wildling woman was awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Vichan posted:

What annoyed me about that was that they clearly left Hardhome by boat yet in the next episode they're north of the Wall trying to come into Castle Black.

And they let the wildlings in, then killed Jon for letting the wildlings in.