Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Play the Definitive Edition version of DmC, it's much better tuned than the original release is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

though in order: 3 > 4 > 1 >>>>>> DmC

4 is more mechanically thorough than 3 but it's also undercooked, 1 is really more of a period piece since it was a potential resident evil title repackaged as a complex (for its time) action game, DmC is an ugly clumsy curiosity that should only be bought on a deep discount

Already played DmC:DmC. For all the deserved hatred I thought it was neat that you could weapon switch mid combo and suddenly pull out massively heavy attacks.

Also the scene where your helplessly talking to astral projection girl while she's being SWATed was really well done. Had a sensitivity I didn't expect from "gently caress you!" :the game.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

CJacobs posted:

You also don't get penalized for using gold orbs/revives in this game until you use 3 of them on one mission. Using one or two on a mission removes the No Continues bonus points, but unlike previous games you can still get the highest rank on a mission having used items. In the older games you couldn't get SS-Rank on a mission without S in every category (which required using no items), but in DMC 5 you only need to get above the A-rank requirement on most of the combat sections and the No Continues bonus is just icing on the cake.

edit: The only exceptions to this I think are the missions that are only a boss fight and nothing else, since there's only 1 encounter to get points from and you can just restart it from the beginning if you die.

you do get a tiny penalty for using 1 revive, like 10%

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

CharlestonJew posted:

you do get a tiny penalty for using 1 revive, like 10%

It might as well be 33% or whatever since a clean run is 1.2x

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Luisfe posted:

Holy poo poo what a game. What a GAME.

Just finished it on devil hunter so, uh, yeah, babby difficulty and not having to get really deep into the mechanics, but it is SO SATISFYING.
I think I am loving this more than the Bayonettas, because the good fights are not gated behind 5 minutes of outrun or space harrier.

Platinum's gotta do something really really special for bayo 3, but who am I kidding, of course I am getting that poo poo as well.

Yeah I am way more into this than bayonetta. Those games were good but 1 had too many QTEs and space harrier sections and 2 just felt like a boss rush which wasn’t all that interesting to me. The mechanics and fights in this game are on another level. Every mission owns.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Also, DmC has the option to switch lock-on to a toggle instead of a hold and DMC 5 does not :thunk:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

CJacobs posted:

Also, DmC has the option to switch lock-on to a toggle instead of a hold and DMC 5 does not :thunk:

Christ a toggle would really give my hand a break

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

CJacobs posted:

Because you’re not supposed to spend a lot of time locked on in DMC5 and the lock-on in DmC is a poorly thought out half measure

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I really don't care if you think DmC is bad lol

edit: When you consider "this game is missing a feature that this other game has" a knock against the game with the extra feature, maybe you're the one with the problem.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
How do people handle the ninja lizards on dmd?
Because you're not going to outtank them with stinger spam when they DT.

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

JBP posted:

It might as well be 33% or whatever since a clean run is 1.2x

If you treat the x1.2 of No Continues as the baseline, having no bonuses or penalties would be equivalent to x0.833.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Peewi posted:

If you treat the x1.2 of No Continues as the baseline, having no bonuses or penalties would be equivalent to x0.833.

Yeah I don't know math when it gets into that kind of nitty gritty but that's what I mean. There is no 1x state at the end of a level.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Klaus Kinski posted:

How do people handle the ninja lizards on dmd?
Because you're not going to outtank them with stinger spam when they DT.

Try to parry the opening volley when they start freaking out, or alternatively start jumpin around like you're on a pogo stick. That's my strategy anyway. Some potshots while you're in the air will keep your style gauge from going down too hard.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

CJacobs posted:

I really don't care if you think DmC is bad lol

edit: When you consider "this game is missing a feature that this other game has" a knock against the game with the extra feature, maybe you're the one with the problem.

Toggleable lock-on makes sense for DmC because lock-on in that game doesn’t change the way your movement works while in DMC5 it does and it would be bad for people to toggle it on and forget about it

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Holy poo poo the cutscene at the beginning of mission 18. The piano score is incredible for that little duel.

Unless it goes to hell in the last 3 missions this is going to be my #1 character action without anything even close.

This loving game :swoon:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Augus posted:

Toggleable lock-on makes sense for DmC because lock-on in that game doesn’t change the way your movement works while in DMC5 it does and it would be bad for people to toggle it on and forget about it

DmC's lock on does change your movement, though? Dodges circle around the enemy's back and special move inputs are done toward/away from the enemy just like in this game. I think you might move at the same speed unlike DMC5 but it's been so long I don't remember that part for sure.

edit: Also, it doesn't really matter if it's something the player might forget. For one, that's on them, and secondly having such a toggle pulls double time as an accessibility option. How bad does your finger hurt from holding RB on and off for 8 hours?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Oxxidation posted:

though in order: 3 > 4 > 1 >>>>>> DmC

4 is more mechanically thorough than 3 but it's also undercooked, 1 is really more of a period piece since it was a potential resident evil title repackaged as a complex (for its time) action game, DmC is an ugly clumsy curiosity that should only be bought on a deep discount

4 is better than 3 :colbert:

CJacobs posted:

DmC's lock on does change your movement, though? Dodges circle around the enemy's back and special move inputs are done toward/away from the enemy just like in this game. I think you might move at the same speed unlike DMC5 but it's been so long I don't remember that part for sure.

Pretty sure that's what he means.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Well fair enough I guess but to me it makes sense to have lock-on in any game where you can freely rotate the camera, to avoid the player having to take their thumb off the face buttons to angle it themselves. It's not a "poorly thought out half measure", it's standard controls for a third person game. And to that end, you still have a reason to drop it just the same as you do in this game, because target swapping in the middle of a fight is such a big part of the combat.

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

JBP posted:

Yeah I don't know math when it gets into that kind of nitty gritty but that's what I mean. There is no 1x state at the end of a level.

When you restart from a checkpoint but do not use an orb to revive you get an "1x multiplier".

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

CJacobs posted:

Try to parry the opening volley when they start freaking out, or alternatively start jumpin around like you're on a pogo stick. That's my strategy anyway. Some potshots while you're in the air will keep your style gauge from going down too hard.

If I had RG, I'd just parry, but this is with Nero.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

CJacobs posted:

Well fair enough I guess but to me it makes sense to have lock-on in any game where you can freely rotate the camera, to avoid the player having to take their thumb off the face buttons to angle it themselves. It's not a "poorly thought out half measure", it's standard controls for a third person game.

I played a game once where you could double tap the lock-on button to recenter the camera but I forgot which. Anyway that was cool and more games should allow that.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

KonvexKonkav posted:

When you restart from a checkpoint but do not use an orb to revive you get an "1x multiplier".

Ah I didn't know that. It takes so long to get through the menu to return to the checkpoint, I've only done it once.

Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

Bonus EXP: 300
MVP: Ike
New Ally: Petrine, Greil, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Petrine, Greil, Mordecai, Lethe, Ranulf, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, MPID_BLACKKNIGHT, Greil, Ike, Greil, Ike, Black Knight, Greil, Ike

KonvexKonkav posted:

Same deal if you use Red Orbs to revive once. Though I've only done the middle option for one full bar of health versus the third option which looks like it's just "a gold orb, but with red orbs" so YMMV.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
So given the series' chronology, what was Dante's reason for being... well, like he was in DMC2?

Was he just as bored with the events like the players were?

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

:eyepop: at the end of Mission 3

:eyepop: and :lol:

e: ^ I haven't played DMC2 since it came out but I vaguely remember something bad happening to Trish maybe?? idk it's also set after everything else so Dante is older and jaded or w/e

e2: DMC2 played like poo poo and was short as all hell but I do fondly remember fighting a demon skyscraper at the end and wish it had been with not poo poo combat

i also remember swimming forever as lucia and wanting to die

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

MechaX posted:

So given the series' chronology, what was Dante's reason for being... well, like he was in DMC2?

Was he just as bored with the events like the players were?

Probably he was mourning Vergil after "killing him" on Mallet Island.

esperterra posted:

e: ^ I haven't played DMC2 since it came out but I vaguely remember something bad happening to Trish maybe??

The tie in novel for DMC2 uses that explanation. Dante ends up on an alternate world where Mundus rules the world after humankind betrayed Sparda and where Trish is Mundus' top warrior, so he has to kill her. This leading to his somber attitude in 2.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Dante is sad in DMC2 because he knows he's in DMC2

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

CharlestonJew posted:

Dante is sad in DMC2 because he knows he's in DMC2

gently caress beat me by one loving second i swear to god

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I tried out DMC2 for the first time ever last night and lmao I almost fell asleep playing the first two levels
I was like “okay so the guns are overpowered and you can just hold ⏹ to kill everything without trying, what if I just don’t use guns? oh okay now I’m just mashing 🔼 to kill everything without trying that’s way better”

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

CJacobs posted:

One of my favorite things about this game is that it takes improvements made by DmC without all the added baggage that could've come with it. They learned everything that was good about that game and brought it over.

the free range camera and the bigger fighting arenas alone are huge improvements. I like dmc3 but man some of those fights take place in weird angular locations and it's impossible to really do cool poo poo with so much crap jutting out and suffocating you.

DLC Inc fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Mar 13, 2019

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

That final mission :eyepop:

I can’t believe the emotional weight they managed to build with these characters. I felt legitimately emotional at multiple parts. Capcom is at the peak of their game right now.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Kilometers Davis posted:

That final mission :eyepop:

I can’t believe the emotional weight they managed to build with these characters. I felt legitimately emotional at multiple parts. Capcom is at the peak of their game right now.

All they needed to do was return to some poo poo they're good at and throw in some effort. I hope this means we can expect a return to the good old days of games like X-Men v Street Fighter because I'd slam down huge money for a new beautifully made 2d fighter (please make a new Darkstalkers and just go crazy on it).

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

JBP posted:

All they needed to do was return to some poo poo they're good at and throw in some effort. I hope this means we can expect a return to the good old days of games like X-Men v Street Fighter because I'd slam down huge money for a new beautifully made 2d fighter (please make a new Darkstalkers and just go crazy on it).

Street Fighter 6 please :unsmith:

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Zaphod42 posted:

Nice, unfortunately for me its suddenly running like poo poo with my PS4 controller. I tested two different controllers and I keep getting phantom inputs. I'm just walking along and Dante goes "Swordmaster! Trickster!" on his own with no buttons pressed.

I'm right about to attack and he swaps weapons. Its unplayable now :smith:

This was happening to me on PS4 and I saw in the corner that I had activated Automatic mode by accident. For some super weird reason holding down R3 automatically turns it on, as though anyone would want to completely change their entire control scheme mod fight. Also if you accidentally activate it and hit an enemy it ruins your score for that level. Go check in your options menu.

The one (1!) thing that I really liked about DmC was that instead of just memorizing the different tempo for your different sword combos, your sword would glint and make a sound effect to indicate the alternate combo was active. It was literally the only inspired piece of game design that they had and I’m hella bummed it’s not back here.

This game is not designed to be played with the lock-on held down the entire fight. If you are spending the entire game locked-on... you are not doing it right.

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Mar 13, 2019

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Which of the previous games are worth playing if I really dig this one? (obviously not 2)

viewtiful joe on PS2 where you can play as dante, aka the actual DMC2

where's my fuckin re-release already capcom, cmon.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

exquisite tea posted:

I love that scene for the sheer absurdity of it.

The best part is it's totally something I would do in Nero's place. "The tin? The gently caress you want the tin fo--oh, you meant the roc--oh, the glowing evil horn. My bad"

What a normal thing to inject into such absurdity

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Ciaphas posted:

The best part is it's totally something I would do in Nero's place. "The tin? The gently caress you want the tin fo--oh, you meant the roc--oh, the glowing evil horn. My bad"

What a normal thing to inject into such absurdity

And then how Nico totally no-sells it like "well that one's okay I GUESS."

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I mean she turned a pasta stirrer into a robot arm that can both stir pasta AND explode violently, so I don't blame Nero for thinking she wanted to work some magic with a can of beans and a soda can.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
Oh wow, after beating the game once, you get to play pokemon snap in a way, and Nico adds dumb comments to the image requirements for the enemies.

I LOVE THIS GODDAMN GAME.

The Hellbats have a prodigy reference

E: Is there any good way to deal with the furies? Dealing with their teleporty hits seems harder than the last boss's. That one I could royal guard without too much trouble :V

Luisfe fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Mar 13, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Luisfe posted:

Oh wow, after beating the game once, you get to play pokemon snap in a way, and Nico adds dumb comments to the image requirements for the enemies.

I LOVE THIS GODDAMN GAME.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1681697499

https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd....&letterbox=true

I keep resetting these because I'm always unsatisfied with the enemy killshot and keep trying to do better. This is the real endgame of DMCV.