Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Nice piece of fish posted:

Jesus, it's a language based entirely on psychic guesswork.

http://ncf.idallen.com/english.html

The funny thing is that the poem also shows where pronunciation has drifted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Munin posted:

http://ncf.idallen.com/english.html

The funny thing is that the poem also shows where pronunciation has drifted.

Thanks, forums poster "memory". You and your bro are literally the seal of my university and also the name of the university's open science archive.

CAMP FARTING ROCKS
Jan 14, 2005

Whitlam posted:

New/Victorian rules maybe? To get added to the roll, you have to provide: a certified transcript from your univeristy; an academic conduct report from your uni; a national police check (name only, not fingerprints); a certificate of completion from your PLT provider; an academic conduct report from your PLT provider; and two character references.

Why yes, it is a massive pain in the arse to organise.

I think you might be right that it's either new or Victorian. I don't think I needed a police check for my admission in ACT or SA - needed all that other stuff though.

algebra testes posted:

Before bush court I slept under a gum tree this morning.

Aussielawyer.txt

Great respect for you going out and doing bush court. Seems like one of the most mentally and physically grueling experiences a lawyer could have.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Tornado sirens at 4:30am, come to Texas, ya'll.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

blarzgh posted:

Tornado sirens at 4:30am, come to Texas, ya'll.

What's a tornado and why do you live in a place where the wind can kill you.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
the neat thing about the US is that no matter where you live, you're constantly at risk from some sort of wind or earth related attempt for the planet to kill us. blizzards in one zone, hurricanes in another, tornadoes in another, earthquakes in another.

you're safe in like Maine I guess, but then you live in Maine, so really you're already owned

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
The inland states that run along the Rockies - Utah, Nevada, Colorado, up to Montana, are pretty much free from any of those big disasters. and are also very pretty.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
You get to die from wildfire, zoonoses, and drought instead

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Throatwarbler posted:

The inland states that run along the Rockies - Utah, Nevada, Colorado, up to Montana, are pretty much free from any of those big disasters. and are also very pretty.

My friend let me introduce you to the Yellowstone Claldera. Those states are some of the most hosed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yellowstone_Caldera

Edit: ^^ "zoo noses"? What the gently caress how are you dying from the noses of alpacas and goats and cute lil' bunnies?

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

BigHead posted:

My friend let me introduce you to the Yellowstone Claldera.

Tbh that will gently caress the entire continent.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Think tick-borne illnesses more likely to spread due to habitat encroachment and climate change.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Look Sir Droids posted:

Tbh that will gently caress the entire continent.

Hell yeah. Also, Google the Cascadia(sp?) Fault in Washington.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

blarzgh posted:

Hell yeah. Also, Google the Cascadia(sp?) Fault in Washington.

Oh, you mean the one that's going to cleave off the coast of Washington and Oregon? Word.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Nice piece of fish posted:

What's a tornado and why do you live in a place where the wind can kill you.

Tornadoes are awesome dictations of God's hatred for humanity, and that he only barely cares enough to annihilate us that he periodically drags his finger across the face of creation.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Look Sir Droids posted:

Oh, you mean the one that's going to cleave off the coast of Washington and Oregon? Word.

Yeah, glad we got our trip to Seattle and Olympia in before the entire northeastern seaboard becomes a chasm of liquified earth and rubble spilling into the ocean.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

blarzgh posted:

Tornadoes are awesome dictations of God's hatred for humanity, and that he only barely cares enough to annihilate us that he periodically drags his finger across the face of creation.

If tornadoes are God’s fingers, hurricanes are his raging rear end in a top hat after eating too much spicey food.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Soothing Vapors posted:

the neat thing about the US is that no matter where you live, you're constantly at risk from some sort of wind or earth related attempt for the planet to kill us. blizzards in one zone, hurricanes in another, tornadoes in another, earthquakes in another.

you're safe in like Maine I guess, but then you live in Maine, so really you're already owned

Don't forget the catastrophic flooding throughout the Midwest

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Lote posted:

If tornadoes are God’s fingers, hurricanes are his raging rear end in a top hat after eating too much spicey food.

It’s more like tornados are His holy pee trail while hurricanes are His sacred diarrhea blast

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Phil Moscowitz posted:

His sacred diarrhea blast

Please don’t crib from Taco Bell’s vision board

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

blarzgh posted:

Tornadoes are bs. Had one kill off two warriors while leaving Genghis's archer intact.

sullat fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Mar 13, 2019

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

So on the Manafort Blameless Life scale, what kind of time is Aunt Becky looking at for getting her little dumb rear end in to academic powerhouse USC?

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

Look Sir Droids posted:

So on the Manafort Blameless Life scale, what kind of time is Aunt Becky looking at for getting her little dumb rear end in to academic powerhouse USC?

A stern talking too.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
god bless new york state for immediately indicting manafort

Look Sir Droids posted:

it depends on how the gov't characterizes the "loss" here. are they going to try to tag every conspirator with the full $25 million? are they going to say that each parent caused damage to the schools based on the individual amount they paid to bribe their dumbass kid into USC? neither one of those things make sense to me. the school wasn't "damaged" per se in an amount concomitant with the bribe. the "loss" here is to competing students who got hosed over in favor of a dumbass youtube model. idk how to calculate that, and im not reading the affidavits to figure it out.

but mail fraud starts with a base offense level of 7 and enhanced by the amount of loss. lets say they impute $500k to Aunt Becky. that jumps the OL to 20. there are a few enhancements that could apply as well, but let's stick with 20. CH I/OL20 is 33-41 months. if they impute less loss to her the numbers drop, but not dramatically bc her crim history is so low. if the "loss" she caused is under 100k her OL is 15 instead, which gives a range of 18-24.

realistically though she's rich and white and has no criminal history, so lol

also, more importantly, how dumb is her daughter that it took Aunt Becky $500k in bribes to get her into the fifth most prestigious school in the state of California

Soothing Vapors fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Mar 13, 2019

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Soothing Vapors posted:

also, more importantly, how dumb is her daughter that it took Aunt Becky $500k in bribes to get her into the fifth most prestigious school in the state of California

lol yes. And that's what makes the least sense to me. I assume rich people already did the bribing and scamming. But if you're paying that much, why not aim higher?

I expect no more than 60 days house arrest for any of the rich folk parents. Some probation. A speeding ticket fine.

Unamuno
May 31, 2003
Cry me a fuckin' river, Fauntleroy.

Look Sir Droids posted:

I expect no more than 60 days house arrest for any of the rich folk parents. Some probation. A speeding ticket fine.

yeah man when you really think about it their only "crime" is loving their children too much.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Like a $500,000 donation to USC would have got little influencer admitted AND your name on the visitors locker room shitter

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Like a $500,000 donation to USC would have got little influencer admitted AND your name on the visitors locker room shitter

little influencer seems pretty, uh, indifferent to education

not sure you can buy an international airport for $500k

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Any legal thoughts on Newsom deciding to single-handedly cancel the death penalty in California? Is it within the governor's pardon/commutation authority to do so?

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Don't forget that one of the conspirators set up a fake charity and the parents were claiming their payments as a deduction on their taxes. Tax fraud is certainly something you can get hammered by.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Look Sir Droids posted:

lol yes. And that's what makes the least sense to me. I assume rich people already did the bribing and scamming. But if you're paying that much, why not aim higher?

the interesting thing is that most USAOs dont do the state court bullshit where they overcharge you to get to plead to what they really wanted all along. what you see is typically what you get. it's hard to see how she gets her sentencing guidelines below around the 15-24 month range.

that said the guidelines are advisory and im sure the sentencing judge will find some way to wriggle her free

Vox Nihili posted:

Any legal thoughts on Newsom deciding to single-handedly cancel the death penalty in California? Is it within the governor's pardon/commutation authority to do so?
it absolutely is. it's just a AOE version of his normal commutation authority. as I understand it he didn't even commute the death sentences, he just stayed them until he's out of office.

sullat posted:

Don't forget that one of the conspirators set up a fake charity and the parents were claiming their payments as a deduction on their taxes. Tax fraud is certainly something you can get hammered by.

oooh didn't know that bit of it

yeah, that's a paddlin

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Look Sir Droids posted:

Failchildren of Southern California rich parents all want to go to USC because it's a gigantic party school full of spoiled rotten dipshits that doesn't fail anyone from it's undergrad programs, it has an active greek life, and is the largest network of alumni (other spoiled dipshits) in that part of the state.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Vox Nihili posted:

it is certainly within the governor's power to do so. that said, as trump has also been proving, an abolute right to pardon/commute sentences is something that really only works when it's subject to significant unwritten constraints. there is a reasonable argument that blanket commutations of all death penalty cases is improper as the idea of the pardon/commutation power is to show mercy on individual cases rather than create an effective state-wide change in the law, which should require the legislature

i am somewhat torn between "well yeah obviously the death penalty is a massive injustice" and "well i sure would be pissed if a president/governor just decided to, say, pardon all campaign finance violations going forward claiming they were a violation of free speech "

at the end of the day though i lean towards the former; taking a specific penalty off the table is not an affront to democracy in the way that taking an entire crime would be

evilweasel fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Mar 13, 2019

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Vox Nihili posted:

1) Yes - it's good, 2) yes - if they only have one prior - but that's irrelevant, because what he's granting are reprieves.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
The bathroom was our last hurrah.

It's been a pleasure posting and lawyering with you all.

Pretty sad we will never get closure on the emails.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

evilweasel posted:

it is certainly within the governor's power to do so. that said, as trump has also been proving, an abolute right to pardon/commute sentences is something that really only works when it's subject to significant unwritten constraints. there is a reasonable argument that blanket commutations of all death penalty cases is improper as the idea of the pardon/commutation power is to show mercy on individual cases rather than create an effective state-wide change in the law, which should require the legislature

i am somewhat torn between "well yeah obviously the death penalty is a massive injustice" and "well i sure would be pissed if a president/governor just decided to, say, pardon all campaign finance violations going forward claiming they were a violation of free speech "

at the end of the day though i lean towards the former; taking a specific penalty off the table is not an affront to democracy in the way that taking an entire crime would be

Life in one of California's prisons is far worse than a death sentence anyway.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Sab0921 posted:

I don't think you understand how dumb goons are. Lowtax's patreon is now up to $11K per month.

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

Sab0921 posted:

It's been a pleasure posting and lawyering with you all.

Pretty sad we will never get closure on the emails.

Deep down, I still hope for the emails.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

ulmont posted:

I don't think you understand how dumb goons are. Lowtax's patreon is now up to $11K per month.

This is so loving funny. All he had to do. Lowtax the dumbest grifter.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Thunderstorm came mid bail app and the power went out. Lightning struck a tree next to court.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Good Popehat thread:

https://mobile.twitter.com/Popehat/status/1105573347306332160