Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
im getting the "iphone X decadence-maxx consumption plus" this year, will probably replace it with the XS version year after that tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Hugh G. Rectum posted:

so I dropped my iphone 7 and cracked the screen, first time I've ever broken a phone. it's horrible and it only happened today, can't understand how people live like this for months. my finger is constantly catching on the fracture and it's awful. I've got an upgrade and am going to use it, but is the Xs worth it over the regular X? maxxx or no?

nah, aside from a slightly larger screen and better camera, it’s pretty much the same phone

if it’s cheaper to get the x, I’d go for that

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Hugh G. Rectum posted:

so I dropped my iphone 7 and cracked the screen, first time I've ever broken a phone. it's horrible and it only happened today, can't understand how people live like this for months. my finger is constantly catching on the fracture and it's awful. I've got an upgrade and am going to use it, but is the Xs worth it over the regular X? maxxx or no?

what if you buy an iphone se on the sly and use your upgrade to get a huuge tablet or i pad

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
i was in a rideshare one time, and the driver didn't have a phone at all. he had maps going on a huge ipad strapped to the dash. and ESPN was playing college basketball in the picture-in-picture

anyway that could be you is all im saying

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Helianthus Annuus posted:

i was in a rideshare one time, and the driver didn't have a phone at all. he had maps going on a huge ipad strapped to the dash. and ESPN was playing college basketball in the picture-in-picture

cc: @elonmusk

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

infernal machines posted:

lol. we're gonna get ping for video and be happy about it

this seems likely true

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

My Linux Rig posted:

nah, aside from a slightly larger screen and better camera, it’s pretty much the same phone

if it’s cheaper to get the x, I’d go for that

ended up getting an Xs, price difference wasn't that much in the end. I also take a shitload of photos so the better camera appealed to me. usually keep my phones for a while, upgrading from a 6, so might as well get the latest to keep from having to upgrade sooner.

it's real nice, thanks tim.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i know you just gave tim thousands of dollars but mate.. he doesn't give a poo poo about you whatsoever

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

JawnV6 posted:

yes this quote from *checks notes* 1991, six years before Jobs returned, is the only cause and wholly unchanged over the 25 years since lol

if you're the expert, you tell me why apple software is buggier than it was in the mid-2000s

10.2-10.6 were actually good operating systems, what happened

A Wheezy Steampunk fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Mar 13, 2019

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
they used steve’s decaying corpse as inspiration

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

i just upgraded to ios 12 and now the active timer (you're still limited to a single one) doesn't appear on the lock screen

thanks tim, you loving idiot

this bug is still in ios 12.1.4

if ios 12 is the "bug fix release" then ios 13 is definitely going to live up to its superstitious number

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

it's amazing that a factory reset is the only way to address most ios problems

remember when we used to make fun of windows users for always having to reformat and reinstall windows?

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

quote:

Most of them are Software Writers, they are far from any Engineers.
well said ed

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

this is deffo some rose tinted bullshit. nothing before 10.4 was even close to usable

like, real, real basic poo poo did not work, and anything that maybe kinda worked broke from release to release.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

if you're the expert, you tell me why apple software is buggier than it was in the mid-2000s

lol you posted a redacted version of this post:

quote:

I was on the team that wrote the requirements for the original version of Radar, in 1988. At that time each department was using it's own flat file database for bugs. Also at that time, there was a very large testing group. All testers at Apple were together: more than 400 testers. We had a strong culture of testing. We had pride in ourselves and our company. This was pretty much thrown away when the group was disbanded in 1989. Professional testing culture was replaced with the attitude that only developers mattered. Hurray for "Total Quality Management" and later Agile, I imagine. I was gone by '91.
with this smug BS:
you personally selected the quote from someone who left the company in 1991. the fact that you CBA to even see what it is you're quoting before assuring folks it's the entire cause of your pet issues decades after isn't on me, i legit cannot help you

idk TQM got a bad rap, the alternatives were such stellar concepts as MBWA

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

this is deffo some rose tinted bullshit. nothing before 10.4 was even close to usable

like, real, real basic poo poo did not work, and anything that maybe kinda worked broke from release to release.

those were the days when apps would just go *poof* and disappear along with whatever you were working on and ejecting a cd had a fairly decent chance of locking up the system with the spinning beachball of doom

e: those were also the days when tabs were a foreign concept to apple and everything opened in it's own window, so if you were working on a project with a lot of documents you wound up with 90 windows all over the desktop and no way to manage them because spaces weren't a thing until 10.7

The_Franz fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Mar 13, 2019

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
switching too fast between windows could pretty reliably cause the infinite beachball in 10.2 and 10.3

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
I just spent all day working on a windows project. I experienced no issues or problems with the machine at all

I get home, turn on my mac to browse the web, and encounter three separate hosed up UI glitches between signing in and getting into chrome.

mojave and apple for the lose

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Mojave has been rock solid on my macbook and hackintosh

I think it's more likely to be a hardware issue than software because all the computers they've made the last five years are useless low quality garbage for idiots

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

most people don't sign their posts these days, actually

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Amethyst posted:

I just spent all day working on a windows project. I experienced no issues or problems with the machine at all

I get home, turn on my mac to browse the web, and encounter three separate hosed up UI glitches between signing in and getting into chrome.

mojave and apple for the lose

so why the gently caress do you still use it?

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

JawnV6 posted:

lol you posted a redacted version of this post:

with this smug BS:

you personally selected the quote from someone who left the company in 1991. the fact that you CBA to even see what it is you're quoting before assuring folks it's the entire cause of your pet issues decades after isn't on me, i legit cannot help you

idk TQM got a bad rap, the alternatives were such stellar concepts as MBWA

it was a quote from the link in my post, i assumed it was more recent than that because of the context of the overall post but you got me i guess

(also lol that apple's buggy software is "my pet issue" as if i'm the only one who has noticed or cared that they're producing more garbage lately)

The_Franz posted:

spaces weren't a thing until 10.7

exposé is better than spaces and came out in 10.3

A Wheezy Steampunk fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Mar 13, 2019

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Installed Mojave a few months ago, the screensaver doesn’t work anymore. Sometimes it works for a while after restarting, usually it doesn’t. Tried using activity monitor to find what is preventing sleep, but the answer, as always, is capitalism.

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
prob gonna upgrade my video game desktop, migrate everything to it and learn an entirely new workflow because apple seems incapable of making good decisions and they are not to be trusted.

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

Scott Baio Nudes posted:

prob gonna upgrade my video game desktop, migrate everything to it and learn an entirely new workflow because apple seems incapable of making good decisions and they are not to be trusted.

windows 10 is pretty good, better than 7 and much better than xp ever was

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

Scott Baio Nudes posted:

i did the same, apple has nothing close to the value of a gaming pc, but i spend most of my time in hackintosh mode

which is pretty dumb because osx cant use my videocard which is like half the cost of the computer

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

Perplx posted:

i did the same, apple has nothing close to the value of a gaming pc, but i spend most of my time in hackintosh mode

which is pretty dumb because osx cant use my videocard which is like half the cost of the computer

it's going to be great when the lesson apple takes from the cylinder mac pro is to ship a mac with no internal graphics card at all and they tell you to use an external thunderbolt enclosure

A Wheezy Steampunk fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Mar 13, 2019

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

Hugh G. Rectum posted:

ended up getting an Xs, price difference wasn't that much in the end. I also take a shitload of photos so the better camera appealed to me. usually keep my phones for a while, upgrading from a 6, so might as well get the latest to keep from having to upgrade sooner.

it's real nice, thanks tim.

besides the camera Face ID is also noticeably faster on the XS. You made the right choice.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

it was a quote from the link in my post, i assumed it was more recent than that because of the context of the overall post but you got me i guess

(also lol that apple's buggy software is "my pet issue" as if i'm the only one who has noticed or cared that they're producing more garbage lately)
i understand that sourcing quotes and doing a basic modicum of research for your position can be really difficult stretch for a *checks notes* ... librarian... but it was super obvious that wasn't in relation to the current era without that check, your schtick of picking a phrase to google & gish gallop is really obvious at this point. 1991 lmao jesus you just can't help yourself

and "more garbage lately" is still your pet issue, why don't you address the folks saying your golden era was rose-tinted poo poo??

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
whats up with specific yospos thread pages not loading tweets and images properly. its never a problem outside yosps so im assuming its css/js fuckery???

gimme a fix pls

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

It'd be hard to get bored on this ship!

it's amazing that a factory reset is the only way to address most ios problems

remember when we used to make fun of windows users for always having to reformat and reinstall windows?

whats great is when you just KNOW theres an individual plist file in that icloud restore fuckin' things up, if it wasn't locked down you could just nuke a single corrupt boolean flag somewhere

But nope, now you gotta tell someone to start their whole ios experience from scratch. Praise be timb

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

JawnV6 posted:

i understand that sourcing quotes and doing a basic modicum of research for your position can be really difficult stretch for a *checks notes* ... librarian... but it was super obvious that wasn't in relation to the current era without that check, your schtick of picking a phrase to google & gish gallop is really obvious at this point. 1991 lmao jesus you just can't help yourself

complaining about apple in the "complaining about apple" thread is definitely on the same level as researching gender differences in the legal system of ptolemaic egypt

JawnV6 posted:

and "more garbage lately" is still your pet issue, why don't you address the folks saying your golden era was rose-tinted poo poo??

you mean like

exposé is better than spaces and came out in 10.3

the difference between "golden era" apple and current apple is that you could reasonably expect problems to be fixed back then. 10.2.0 had lots of bugs but 10.2.8 fixed most of the issues until you got to 10.3.0 (and so on for each version). even 10.6, the consensus favorite for people like me, had problems in the initial release, the difference is that they actually got fixed in subsequent updates. i don't use a mac now but i read about plenty of people having issues that have existed since el cap that still aren't fixed.

also, "golden era" apple updated their hardware with current processors when they became available instead of selling comically outdated computers for full price

A Wheezy Steampunk fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Mar 13, 2019

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

WilWheaton posted:

whats great is when you just KNOW theres an individual plist file in that icloud restore fuckin' things up, if it wasn't locked down you could just nuke a single corrupt boolean flag somewhere

But nope, now you gotta tell someone to start their whole ios experience from scratch. Praise be timb

the "another" in that final comment is very telling

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

there are no good computers, so now that -~=MAI WAIYF=~- needs a laptop i have to buy something bad. i've made my peace with that. since we've used an imac for nearly 6 years without issue, she leans macbook. the question is now that macs are bad is applecare+ a definitely-needed thing, or do we bank on apple eventually acknowledging the catastrophic failures that would be most likely to bite us, and use our platinum card's extended warranty to cover the rest? or should i just pay ~250-280 plus another 99-300 each time is use it because we have lovely anticonsumer laws here in amerikkka and there is no guarantee that apple will acknowledge their lovely flaws?

everything is dumb and bad- at least in computers

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Krankenstyle posted:

whats up with specific yospos thread pages not loading tweets and images properly. its never a problem outside yosps so im assuming its css/js fuckery???

gimme a fix pls

block 219a.css

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

ps if this place shuts down i think i would lose some of the extremely online brain poisoning it has engendered in me since i was in hs like back in 98, and i don't really want that to happen.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

also, "golden era" apple updated their hardware with current processors when they became available instead of selling comically outdated computers for full price

uuuuuhhhhhhhhhhhhh

i really want to agree with you but then you say something like this and i just can't hang, man

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Turnquiet posted:

there are no good computers, so now that -~=MAI WAIYF=~- needs a laptop i have to buy something bad. i've made my peace with that. since we've used an imac for nearly 6 years without issue, she leans macbook. the question is now that macs are bad is applecare+ a definitely-needed thing, or do we bank on apple eventually acknowledging the catastrophic failures that would be most likely to bite us, and use our platinum card's extended warranty to cover the rest? or should i just pay ~250-280 plus another 99-300 each time is use it because we have lovely anticonsumer laws here in amerikkka and there is no guarantee that apple will acknowledge their lovely flaws?

everything is dumb and bad- at least in computers

what? no, just get her a macbook air 2018. it's mostly fine, and if you don't need any usb-a it's entirely fine

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

uuuuuhhhhhhhhhhhhh

i really want to agree with you but then you say something like this and i just can't hang, man

is my memory lying to me? iirc, they didn't even announce it a lot of the time, the store page would just update with new specs and new graphics card options

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

please don't torture your spouses with bad keyboards

buy a used 2015 macbook pro or a 2017 macbook air unless you want her to divorce you