Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I think that's the direct English translation to the Japanese version's title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

univbee posted:

lol that it's such a common trope, because I don't think so. The movie I'm thinking of the police officer lost his weapon because he got poo poo-faced at a party and one of the people who helped him in the car (taxi?) driving him home swiped his gun. It takes place in a rural part of China, too. Would have been out around that time or maybe a few years earlier, though.
That's definitely not PTU, then.

And I don't think that it's a popular subject in general so much as Johnnie To is a big director and PTU was super popular (and spawned a whole series of sequels), so it would be astonishing if there weren't a bunch of films made around the same time with a very similar premise. That's like 90% of the Hong Kong film industry.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Goddamn it Majima, when can I see Goromi?!

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Goromi doesn't just give it up on the first date.

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

Japan and drugs is a weird thing. If they find out how many of the English language voice actors do cocaine they would cancel everything forever. Assuming the casting happened in LA I would imagine no fewer than 50% of the English voice cast likes to party.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I'm gonna be so pissed of the game is delayed or even not outright released here.

This is a reminder that Japan cancelled a game years ago that was like days away from release because of the tsunami. I think it's actually coming out this year? It was zettai zetsumi toshi 4 (the latest entry in the disaster report series)

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It was actually way behind schedule and had tons of production problems and the tsunami was just an excuse to shelve it

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

They cancelled Disaster Report 4 on PS3 because of Tohoku, and I think it was that event (or maybe a different one?) that caused them to delay the Japanese release of Yakuza: Dead Souls because they thought it'd be insensitive to have a story about a ruined Tokyo so shortly after a major disaster.

Disaster Report 4 Plus came out seven years or so later on PS4. Reviews say it's really bad.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
you can still buy yakuza 4 for ps3 on psn, i think it might okay, just not mentioning anything until closer to release maybe until this blows over.

they will probably patch out the actor and his face and then re-release in japan but the west release will stay the same just with a day 1 patch or maybe later.

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy
I just wanna play Judgement with english subtitles. :sigh:

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

And Tyler Too! posted:

Goromi doesn't just give it up on the first date.

But I got the text and I'm showing up and all I get is Rina. I'm never gonna advance in Majima Everywhere at this rate.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Crabtree posted:

But I got the text and I'm showing up and all I get is Rina. I'm never gonna advance in Majima Everywhere at this rate.

Go march your rear end back in there. :colbert:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
goromi isn't how you rank up, it's how you unlock a particular skill. she won't appear unless you've gotten the text and majima is currently active.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Got to the last chapter of Y6 last night. It feels like a pretty big epic coming to a close.

Also, lol

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

goromi isn't how you rank up, it's how you unlock a particular skill. she won't appear unless you've gotten the text and majima is currently active.

I know, it just got the email for it first. But I figured out what was wrong and Goromi was some kind of woman.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Wrex Ruckus posted:

I didn't know that about Japan and drugs. I guess that explains why you rarely (if ever) see anything about drugs in these games about organized crime.

Now sex slavery, that there's a crime ring you can set your watch to

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Which character is it that the actor who was busted with drugs plays? The main character, or a supporting character?

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Which character is it that the actor who was busted with drugs plays? The main character, or a supporting character?

Supporting

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Supporting. I think he's Tojo Clan.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Rotten Red Rod posted:

He's a badguy

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
That was a good ending, epic enough to cap off a decade-long 7 game odyssey.

Edit: Now time to coach baseball and chat up some girls while I pretend to be dead, which I am now putting in spoiler tags even though several people posted openly in this thread that Kiryu fakes his own death and debated about it here, spoiling it for me. Did I protest? I did not.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Mar 14, 2019

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Can we stop posting open spoilers in here please? Many people haven't played all of these yet.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

man nurse posted:

Can we stop posting open spoilers in here please? Many people haven't played all of these yet.

kiryu never kills a man

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's a thread for a 7 game series, 10 if you count the kiwami games and dead souls. putting every single plot point from 10 year old games in spoiler tags is silly.

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

I found some discussion on this on the internet already and the general consensus seems to be "fanservice" or something along those lines, but I still wanted to ask here just to get some of your guys opinions. My Yakuza story is a bit weird, in that I started with 0 when it came out, kinda bounced off of it, tried again with 6 and finished it, now just finished 0 on PC and basically just started Kiwami. I'm maybe in Chapter 2.

Either way, I was super confused with the after credits scene for Y0 for a little bit. Should I spoiler this? I guess I will just in case... anyway, I'm talking about Majima meeting Kiryu in the streets and doing his KIRYU-CHAN! from Y1/Kiwami. I already thought his character change at the end of Y0 was a bit sudden and hamfisted, but I guess they had to get him to the Y1 Majima somehow. It also wasn't too bad, just a little jarring I thought. But that end scene super confused me, because while I expected them to meet at some point during Y0, I don't think they ever actually did during the game? So I was like "How does he even know that's Kiryu? And how is Kiryu not like who the heck is this guy?"

So did I miss something important or just fan service for the most part? Really enjoyed everything about it otherwise.. not exactly a super happy story, but that's kinda par for the course for the Yakuza games I feel like.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

it's a thread for a 7 game series, 10 if you count the kiwami games and dead souls. putting every single plot point from 10 year old games in spoiler tags is silly.

He was talking about open spoilers for Yakuza 6

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

abraxas posted:

So did I miss something important or just fan service for the most part? Really enjoyed everything about it otherwise.. not exactly a super happy story, but that's kinda par for the course for the Yakuza games I feel like.
I assumed that took place a significant amount of time after 0 so they had met each other and become rivals. But yeah it's mostly just fan service.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

abraxas posted:

I found some discussion on this on the internet already and the general consensus seems to be "fanservice" or something along those lines, but I still wanted to ask here just to get some of your guys opinions. My Yakuza story is a bit weird, in that I started with 0 when it came out, kinda bounced off of it, tried again with 6 and finished it, now just finished 0 on PC and basically just started Kiwami. I'm maybe in Chapter 2.

Either way, I was super confused with the after credits scene for Y0 for a little bit. Should I spoiler this? I guess I will just in case... anyway, I'm talking about Majima meeting Kiryu in the streets and doing his KIRYU-CHAN! from Y1/Kiwami. I already thought his character change at the end of Y0 was a bit sudden and hamfisted, but I guess they had to get him to the Y1 Majima somehow. It also wasn't too bad, just a little jarring I thought. But that end scene super confused me, because while I expected them to meet at some point during Y0, I don't think they ever actually did during the game? So I was like "How does he even know that's Kiryu? And how is Kiryu not like who the heck is this guy?"

pretty sure that scene is from kiwami. its the exact setup when kiryu first meets majima again after getting out of prison.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
just finished Kiwami 2.

it's a masterpiece remake of a masterpiece game. good lord. Easily the high note of the series story-wise, and the best ending, though I haven't finished 5, or played 3 or 6.

I'll go back and complete some more haruka requests and finish the cabaret story at some point but I doubt I'll get all the way through Majima Construction. The clan creator stuff is fine, but fine is hard to appreciate when everything else is excellent.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

just finished Kiwami 2.

it's a masterpiece remake of a masterpiece game. good lord. Easily the high note of the series story-wise, and the best ending, though I haven't finished 5, or played 3 or 6.

I'll go back and complete some more haruka requests and finish the cabaret story at some point but I doubt I'll get all the way through Majima Construction. The clan creator stuff is fine, but fine is hard to appreciate when everything else is excellent.

Yeah 2 never really gets topped story-wise imo but they're all good and worth playing.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I think our Japanese-resident goonpals could testify to how much bigger of a deal this would be if Kimutaku was caught with drugs.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

man nurse posted:

Yeah 2 never really gets topped story-wise imo but they're all good and worth playing.

imo Yakuza 6 is almost as good as Kiwami 2

Edit: especially if you've been with kiryu the whole journey

My relationship with Kazuma Kiryu has outlasted two fiancé's and a wife lmao

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Y6's combat is too rough, and all the missing stuff compared to the prior engine hurts a bit imo. Weirdly enough I think Y6 ended up being sort of a warmup for K2.

SpaceCommie
Oct 2, 2008

I'm escaping to the one place that hasn't been corrupted by Capitalism ...

SPACE!

kirbysuperstar posted:

kiryu never kills a man

Kiryu kicking a guy out of the back door of Serena who then flew over the balustrade into the wall across the alley before falling on his head was amazing because this was the only thing that I could think whilst watching.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I saw Kiryu throw like twenty dudes off of a moving truck yesterday but honestly they had it coming

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Expect My Mom posted:

I saw Kiryu throw like twenty dudes off of a moving truck yesterday but honestly they had it coming

i mean the last guy got his face run over by an 18 wheeler after kiryu punched him a lot, but that was clearly his fault for being so clumsy. The rest survived, I'm sure.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Y6's combat is too rough, and all the missing stuff compared to the prior engine hurts a bit imo. Weirdly enough I think Y6 ended up being sort of a warmup for K2.

It’s definitely not great timing that they wanted to finish the story of Kiryu while also introducing a new game engine. The limitations make it a bit strangely paced.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Now you all have me paranoid that going from K2 to 6 is going to be like 0 to Kiwami all over again

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Well if it helps, you get Extreme Heat mode from the start instead of talking to Komaki first. Same with Tiger Drop I think, provided you reach 180 Attack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I just finished Yakuza 6 and I can say that the warnings about it being scaled back were not as bad as I thought they were going to be. Overall, it feels like there is maybe 75% as much content as Y0 or YK2, which is still plenty, and way more than Kiwami