Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Hello thread!

I see that y'all kept the place nice and Embered :kingsley:. Good job on keeping spoilers under control. welp, :siren: 10 days to go! :siren:

As people start to get their hands on the game just let me know if there's any VITAL INFO that needs to go in the OP, or PM me if there are any problems I miss.

Otherwise I'll mainly just be in the wilderness like everyone else, trying to make sense of the madness of Hidetaka Miyazaki.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

uber_stoat posted:

much like the bionic commando, Sekiro's prosthetic arm is also his wife.

that game ruled and thus sekiro will rule

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer
I have accepted that as a loadout-based mobile character action game by FROM set in magical old Japan, this is basically as close as we're gonna get to another sequel to Otogi: Myth of Demons.

I'm pretty stoked.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Anyone see a PC pricepoint better than the 8% off on GMG? I'm wanting to pre-order and hopefully pre-load, but was holding out to see if anybody got it cheaper just shy of release...

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
GMG had a window of time where it was like 10% off or something.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Solaire showing up out of the blue would be more entertaining than annoying, if only to lend more credence to the whole "timelines are really hosed right now, so we're phasing in and out of places"

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Fun fact: when I was a dumb kid I thought my favorite games were first party games. King's field and armored core. I didn't grasp the difference between publisher and developer.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.
Someone please warn us if the game gets into the wild early, it would be annoying to be spoiled on it a week before release.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

deep dish peat moss posted:

Okay here's the thing about difficulty in the Souls series: you can either play these games relying on shields or not. If you rely on blocking with big shields then all 3 games are actually hilariously easy because across the entire series there are maybe a grand total of 5 or 6 enemy attacks that can hurt you. If you choose not to use shields, - get this - they're still the easiest Character Action games on the market.

The difficulty comes 100% from (usually glacially paced) pattern recognition and it punishes you for not recognizing patterns but there are absurdly few cases where the game doesn't start telegraphing the next pattern while you're still a mile away.

So for someone to say they're bad games because they're "too hard" tells us two things about that person:
1) Equipping a shield and holding down L1 is a MLG tactic that's far beyond their casual comprehension
and
2) They have an unevolved brain that doesn't quite grasp the fact that the boss is using 3 different moves over and over.

I can't wait to dunk on samurai demons the same way I just dunked on this chump.

Me: My tastes in videogames differ from yours.
You, an intellectual: Actually that makes you literally subhuman.

In my experience, of the six people that i know that don't like soulsborne games, one was turned off by the rear end-tastic port of ds1 on pc felt that the problem was the git gud meme and people like you.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Love the character action game dark souls

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

MZ posted:

Someone please warn us if the game gets into the wild early, it would be annoying to be spoiled on it a week before release.

It already has, for all intents and purposes. The local independent game shop that will forever not give a gently caress about breaking release dates posted a teaser a few days ago that they'll basically have it for sale this weekend/early next week. Tread lightly!

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The perception of difficulty in Dark Souls comes way less from enemies, bosses, and combat, and way more from the unforgiving exploration and “whoops, you’re dead” snake temple bullshit death traps.

Also Dark Souls is a lot of things, but character action games (Bayonetta, DMC, MGR:R) are not one of them. These games are glacially paces. Even Bloodborne, the fastest one, it frozen molasses compared to Metal Gear Rising.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i'm glad the "twist" in bloodborne wasn't spoiled for me. it was pretty great seeing weird alien statues leading up to amelia and thinking what the gently caress is going on.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
The Dark Souls games also get faster and faster each iteration. I'm worried my old man joints aren't going to be able to keep up with ziplines and parries anymore.

Nioh tests my patience more than my fingers with how fast enemies swipe, so I'm hoping From went a different direction.

Bad Parenting
Mar 26, 2007

This could get emotional...

Anyone know when reviews will be out for this? I'd really like to know how bad the FPS dips are on PS4 pro that I've read a bit about.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

Groovelord Neato posted:

i'm glad the "twist" in bloodborne wasn't spoiled for me. it was pretty great seeing weird alien statues leading up to amelia and thinking what the gently caress is going on.

When I saw that I thought the game had poor art direction, that they were just putting creepy statues in seemingly nonsensical places.

Boy howdy was I wrong.

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won

Bad Parenting posted:

Anyone know when reviews will be out for this? I'd really like to know how bad the FPS dips are on PS4 pro that I've read a bit about.

pretty sure they come out on release day

sounds like the ps4 pro will be pushing like 45 fps on average, check out the digital foundry video if you haven't already

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Bad Parenting posted:

I haven't seen anything about this. Where did you read it?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

https://blog.us.playstation.com/2019/03/13/sekiro-shadows-die-twice-final-pre-launch-interview/

Solid PS Blog interview with one of the producers.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Has there been any talk of how this will run on the original PS4? I don't want to pick up a pro just for Sekiro with the PS5 likely on the way.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

The Kingfish posted:

Has there been any talk of how this will run on the original PS4? I don't want to pick up a pro just for Sekiro with the PS5 likely on the way.

It's reported to run an average ~45fps on Pro, so on the base PS4 I wouldn't expect more than 30fps..... hopefully it will be a locked 30 and not dip, but nobody knows yet.

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won

MZ posted:

It's reported to run an average ~45fps on Pro, so on the base PS4 I wouldn't expect more than 30fps..... hopefully it will be a locked 30 and not dip, but nobody knows yet.

locked at 30 fps on the base ps4 is a fantasy, from software has a terrible track record here lol

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
Not sure if the PC requirements suggest anything about how it will work on consoles, although PCs and consoles are more and more built the same, but the PC reqs for Sekiro are virtually identical to the PC reqs for Dark Souls 3. So however DS3 runs on a base level PS4, I'd expect Sekiro to run about the same. If DS3 was jank on the old PS4, Sekiro is gonna be jank.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

punished milkman posted:

locked at 30 fps on the base ps4 is a fantasy, from software has a terrible track record here lol

Oh I know, just hoping they would have optimised the engine a bit over the years but maybe not?

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Got some steambux for my birthday from a friend, suddenly this game I am pumped about but thought I’d only be able to afford in like a year is affordable, so I finally watched the trailers which I’ve been avoiding so I wouldn’t get too sad about missing out, and drat. It kind of reminds me more of Nioh than Dark Souls, and I’m gonna echo other posters and express a fear that without multiplayer summons I’ll never be able to beat it cus i 100% needed summons for a few bosses in DS3/DS/Nioh

I’m also really curious about the vertical mobility and how useful / common it will be or if it’s just gonna be a limited traversal thing in some areas. I really hope you can gently caress around with it and there aren’t like predetermined hook points

It also looks like the parry system isn’t just partying, but also like rapid fire magic multi parry abilities for use against fast or multiple enemies? And alternatives like turning into birds and a shadow or whatever?

Speaking as a mid roll sword and shield player who only beat DS/DS3 once with two handed swords I hope there’s room for my shittiness with parries, I had a really hard time with parrying and pulsing in Nioh and never finished it

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Frog Act posted:

Got some steambux for my birthday from a friend, suddenly this game I am pumped about but thought I’d only be able to afford in like a year is affordable, so I finally watched the trailers which I’ve been avoiding so I wouldn’t get too sad about missing out, and drat. It kind of reminds me more of Nioh than Dark Souls, and I’m gonna echo other posters and express a fear that without multiplayer summons I’ll never be able to beat it cus i 100% needed summons for a few bosses in DS3/DS/Nioh

I’m also really curious about the vertical mobility and how useful / common it will be or if it’s just gonna be a limited traversal thing in some areas. I really hope you can gently caress around with it and there aren’t like predetermined hook points

It also looks like the parry system isn’t just partying, but also like rapid fire magic multi parry abilities for use against fast or multiple enemies? And alternatives like turning into birds and a shadow or whatever?

Speaking as a mid roll sword and shield player who only beat DS/DS3 once with two handed swords I hope there’s room for my shittiness with parries, I had a really hard time with parrying and pulsing in Nioh and never finished it

I haven't watched a lot of footage, but the grappling points seem semi-static, like tree branches and roof ledges seem like very common points, but there are multiple spots you can hit for any given object (rather than infinite points.) Videos make it look like a reticle will auto-lock to the nearest grapple point.

Lots of emphasis on parrying, haven't seen a single shield (on the player character) in any videos. Wouldn't count on them being equipped in the game. No one can say just how precise the timing will necessitate, but I'm expecting it to be pretty similar to Nioh, perhaps a bit more lenient (judging Team Ninja vs. Fromsoftware history of timing in their games.)

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

There's a shield type item but it uses ammo.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
There does seem to be some sort of shield in the form of something that looks like a fan or parasol that folds out. It comes out of the left hand so I assume it's a prosthetic tool

this thing

and yeah, how it plays on a PS4 Slim is the only thing keeping me from pre-ordering. I never had any problems with Bloodborne but I got into it after a couple patches. I assume the Dark Souls trilogy on PS4 runs fine? I'm def getting into that after Sekiro

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

The trilogy and bloodborne all run fine on the normal PS4.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I’ve seen people swear that Bloodborne is unplayable but I thought it performed and felt perfectly fine on the OG PS4.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

OG PS4 bloodborne stunk. 24fps and long loading screens.

https://youtu.be/bn3eqYD4wYQ

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Bloodborne was only 30, people I guess were expecting a solid 60 for this.

RIP Console players.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Kilometers Davis posted:

I’ve seen people swear that Bloodborne is unplayable but I thought it performed and felt perfectly fine on the OG PS4.

Obviously it was playable but it absolutely did not look or feel perfectly fine

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

as a pc gamer i didn't notice anything wrong with bloodborne apart from the stupidly long loading screens.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

MMF Freeway posted:

Obviously it was playable but it absolutely did not look or feel perfectly fine

It did feel/look perfectly fine to me and I’m sure plenty of others. I never had a single issue with it and I’m quick to notice a poo poo framerate and related issues. The only problem I ever had with the technical side was the loading times at launch. Those were atrocious and pretty unacceptable for a game like Bloodborne.

e: not saying your experience is invalid or anything btw I just never noticed the issues at all

I’m assuming that Sekiro will run just as good or slightly better and that’s good enough for me.

Kilometers Davis fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Mar 14, 2019

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
From day 1 it looked off to me, I'd call it "jittery", and I would later learn that it's because there is something called frame pacing and apparently it's all hosed up for BB. This is on top of the moments of regular slowdown.

Your eyes have yet to open

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The only time I noticed anything wrong in BB was once I killed TOR and it randomly dropped to like 5 fps which was obviously just a glitch

acksplode
May 17, 2004

There was a long period of time where all I was playing was Bloodborne and The Last of Us. Bloodborne looked fine until I switched to TLOU's smooth 60fps and then I was like, oh my god my eyes can breathe. It was like finally removing contacts that you forgot you had left in the night before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won
playing dark souls 3 on PC at 60 fps was revelatory after first playing it on my og ps4