Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

elite_garbage_man posted:

what carry on is sayin is to have your rich parents pay someone to interview for you.

All joking aside, there are now interview boot camps that cost upwards of $5000 to review leetcode problems and conduct mock white board interviews.

Leetcode also has a premium membership that gives you access to a few more questions and tags which companies have asked what.

wtffffffffffffff

Nice. Good to know that I'm unwittingly owning these candidates everytime I never ask one of these stupid questions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

ADINSX posted:

Cool this is good advice, have you tried closing your laptop and jamming it up your rear end?

have you tried being selected for a job ?

just for the record i'm not talking about some small adjustment to what you said in an interview, i mean if you weren't selected that's a sign that your skills and expertise aren't cutting it. you need to improve yourself, majorly, if you're passed over.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
my last job we passed on someone because the candidate reminded my boss of a former work colleague of his that murdered a prostitute

guess he should have just tried harder

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

carry on then posted:

just for the record i'm not talking about some small adjustment to what you said in an interview, i mean if you weren't selected that's a sign that your skills and expertise aren't cutting it. you need to improve yourself, majorly, if you're passed over.
your big red custom title is aptly chosen

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

We were gonna add a mid level dude to our staff, even went so far as to schedule some interviews, but higher ups decided its no longer in the budget, but we can get an intern instead. So uhh guess dudes should have tried less hard?

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.
On the flip side you can take comfort in knowing that for every offer you accept, there's at least one dumb rear end that sucks more than you.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Defenestrategy posted:

We were gonna add a mid level dude to our staff, even went so far as to schedule some interviews, but higher ups decided its no longer in the budget, but we can get an intern instead. So uhh guess dudes should have tried less hard?

I’ve been in a similar position where I in between two positions of almost but not quite overlapping levels. not fun to be phoned up and told: yeah sorry you’re overqualified for the one position but just slightly below par for the other one. thanks for playing

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

carry on then posted:

Stop posting

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
after leaving my old job 6 months ago fot a 50% pay increase, i have done gently caress all in new job, to the point where im starting to feel guilty about it,, they gave me a salary inccrease (after agreeing not to get one in initial year) and a bonus and told i was doing a good job but i wasnt really doing anything

im trying to buy a flat now with my monster salary, ride out the brexit nonesense and then maybe switch over to do contracgting if the new ir35 rules dont gently caress over the public sector

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Never feel guilty about stealing money from your employer

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
From an interviewer's perspective, having 2 competent candidates but one of them is better because of experience/more relevant skills is hitting the jackpot. Depending on the job, a not-insignificant amount of companies in that situation might say "gently caress it, hire 'em both".

The fact they said you were good, it's just that a different guy was better means you were extremely unlucky.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

qhat posted:

Edit: not sure what you're asking

this:

Achmed Jones posted:

yeah put zero stock in recruiters blowing smoke

hobbesmaster posted:

sweet summer child

Ciaphas posted:

words are meaningless until you have an offer in hand, ime

thanks for the reality check

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless
"Hey Mr. Raptor remember how we tried to have you product owning four different teams for six months, and three months in you told us we were nuts and actively refused to handle two of them until the other product owner we had hired could start? We only need you to take on ONLY more team, in addition to your current responsibilities, for a while. Don't worry, we'll have someone to try and help," (why do you need me in the first place then?), "also the team is in India" :suicide:

"By the way, we know your program desperately needs a product manager and has since December, that's why we plan on filling the role around September this year."

This is a supposedly healthy profitable actively growing company btw. We're hemorrhaging talent because none of our programs post-reorg make sense. We have entire teams that have no idea what they are supposed to be doing. I have two teams who have full stack ownership of functionality across three different clients (and we're supposed to be building components for a forth one) and only seven developers (two just started within the past three months).

As much as I don't want to, I think it's time for me to start looking. Sadly this is probably going to mean moving out of state. My current figgies are good, but it's not worth dealing with for terminally incompetent senior management and it doesn't look like it's going to change anytime in the next year (and will get worse). Everyone at the management level and below on these teams has been pointing out none of this stuff works to deaf ears. I know a manager in another group who is ready to get fired over calling this nonsense out. Also we just recently lost our C-level who 'decided' it was time to retire with two weeks notice and none of this poo poo straightened out. Our CTO before them's management style can best be described as "third world dictatorship".

Also, good lord, just typing that out made me realize how nuts it is.

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless
also we have ten different projects going on for my team that are all "departmental initiatives". Meaning it wasn't my choice to even do them. 10 projects, 7 developers. When I point this out, I get a shrug, and "do what you can".

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.
the problem is that you care.

make a spreadsheet showing developers on your team and what they'll be working on for the next 18 months as they clear this crazy backlog. share this spreadsheet freely. if some stakeholder doesn't like their place in your queue, tell them to negotiate with the other stakeholders and your management. if they persist, ignore them.

you'll probably get pushback from management at some point, which is where you offer verbal assurances that you'll do your absolute best to make whatever they want happen. this will placate them and you can proceed as previously planned. put a reminder on your calendar to notify them in 3 months that it didn't work out and your team couldn't get it done, but you're definitely going to do your absolute best to make it happen in the next quarter.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Fiedler posted:

The problem is that you care.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Another rejection, apparently I lacked "certainty and rigour" when whiteboarding Tetris
:smith:

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

gonadic io posted:

Another rejection, apparently I lacked "certainty and rigour" when whiteboarding Tetris

what the devil is that code for?

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Boiled Water posted:

what the devil is that code for?

I have no idea. I'm a white cishet dude with a compsci undergrad, so it can't be any of the usual culprits

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

gonadic io posted:

I have no idea. I'm a white cishet dude with a compsci undergrad, so it can't be any of the usual culprits

maybe you're not old enough

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

gonadic io posted:

Sounds like your beard isn't big enough

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

I hate getting to the spot of talking comp. went through 7 separate loops between on site and blue jeans across 3 continents for a Sr leadership role. Then when talking comp and not wanting to anchor we talk around it awhile and going back and forth finally talk obliquely about w2 with salary/bonus/RSUs knowing I’m talking to a private company.

what they don’t know is while the number I’m looking for is 20% over last year, last year was the end of a 4 year golden handcuff from a company buying my startup.

Hope it doesn’t scare them off cuz it sounds like an awesome job and for the time they put into me they sound really interested.

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

not to worry. the proper mindset to have when discussing comp is always "gently caress you, pay me."

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

gonadic io posted:

lol that's loving rough. That's the insane thing about white boarding, not only are they asking you a tricky problem (and tetris is a pretty tricky one, doing a function for rotating the piece, how do you allow it to kinda rotate a few times when its settled before its counted, etc) you have to put on a little show talking about what you're doing... Its like half your brain is dedicated to keeping up the social contract, while the other half is racing to solve a problem you've literally never thought about before in your life

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

gonadic io posted:

makes sense, i know that when my coworkers are sketching their initial solutions to tricky new problems i expect them to be totally sure of themselves

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

raminasi posted:

makes sense, i know that when my coworkers are sketching their initial solutions to tricky new problems i expect them to be totally sure of themselves

Its important that they keep me entertained too, another thing I love to do is interrupt people mid thought with "helpful" suggestions so I wanna make sure candidates are great at handling this

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
Wait people are asking you to implement Tetris on a loving whiteboard are you making GBS threads me??

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.
Your white boarding question was to build tetris? lol that's pretty hosed up. It would be even more hilarious if they made you design a microservice version of it.

ADINSX posted:

Its important that they keep me entertained too, another thing I love to do is interrupt people mid thought with "helpful" suggestions so I wanna make sure candidates are great at handling this

The key is to ignore their suggestions just like you will when you get hired.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
tetris sounds pretty hard

i don't think i could do that in a whiteboard situation and i thought i was pretty good at whiteboarding

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

dont think I could do it either. Would probably start with "only use cubes or straight bars and place them by hand" and try to iterate from there and then just go "you know what, I don't think this is for me, I've never even programmed a GUI"

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
They were clear that all whiteboard code had ti be actual valid Scala too, no shortcuts or pseudocode

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

ADINSX posted:

lol that's loving rough. That's the insane thing about white boarding, not only are they asking you a tricky problem (and tetris is a pretty tricky one, doing a function for rotating the piece, how do you allow it to kinda rotate a few times when its settled before its counted, etc) you have to put on a little show talking about what you're doing... Its like half your brain is dedicated to keeping up the social contract, while the other half is racing to solve a problem you've literally never thought about before in your life

That's what got me so badly hung up. I can work through challenges like this--hell, might even be fun at the end of the day--but not in 45 minutes while trying to talk to another human being who can't read my mind despite my fast thinking and best wishes

I'm not looking forward to it but I hope when newjob starts I can get in on interviewing quickly, just so I can see the other side and have greater appreciation (and hopefully skill) for the next go-around

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

when i read "white boarding tetris" I was certain that had to be a PM or similar role :psyduck:

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

gonadic io posted:

They were clear that all whiteboard code had ti be actual valid Scala too, no shortcuts or pseudocode
sometimes it's the interviewer who is the moron with no idea what he's doing. best to avoid working with these sorts.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

I don't think I could do that sitting in front of my computer right now in 45 minutes

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

gonadic io posted:

lmfao

yeah they didn’t want to actually hire anyone. sorry you were a legal fig leaf for some bad people

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

this is the hardest decision ive had to make. i got an offer at a well established consulting place and a startup with 3 years runway.

the startup pays over 20% more and is a lot nicer commute but they are a startup and all work on macs and there is rumor of groovy lurking somewhere in thier code base (which they thankfully acknowledged as a mistake they are correcting).

the established place has real nice people that i feel really bad turning down and has job security and acutal training time and programs set aside for bettering myself, but im pretty sure most of my work will be taking 10 year old mountains of enterprise code debt and making them halfway usable. also the aforementioned less pay

HoboMan fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Mar 14, 2019

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

holy poo poo that whiteboarding tetris thing is miserable. I don't think I could figure out how to code a t spin

have a call with amazon at 3. i was feeling confident all up to this morning but once it hit noon anxiety brain has kicked in. :smith:

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

HoboMan posted:

this is the hardest decision ive had to make. i got an offer at a well established consulting place and a startup with 3 years runway.

the startup pays over 20% more and is a lot nicer commute but they are a startup and all work on macs and there is rumor of groovy lurking somewhere in thier code base (which they thankfully acknowledged as a mistake they are correcting).

the established place has real nice people that i feel really bad turning down and has job security and acutal training time and programs set aside for bettering myself, but im pretty sure most of my work will be taking 10 year old mountains of enterprise code debt and making them halfway usable. also the aforementioned less pay

i’m assuming the consulting will involve travel? you should almost always be getting a premium if your job involves a lot of travel so this makes taking the startup job a no-brainer to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

KidDynamite posted:

holy poo poo that whiteboarding tetris thing is miserable. I don't think I could figure out how to code a t spin

don't worry the people who wrote the official guideline spec don't either