Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Dawgstar posted:

Really? Jean?
Yeah, when Claremont came back for round two (three?) on the X-Men she had an uncle who was a minister who got killed more or less off-panel and there was a a bit of a thing about faith in that run if I recall. I mostly remember it because it was kind of out of nowhere that she had anything resembling a religious upbringing.

Lurdiak posted:

The difference is that white christians were and still are the majority cultural demographic in europe and america and jews and muslims are not. While Stan and Jack were not christian, it's pretty fair to say they had a good idea what christian people are like since they lived their entire lives immersed in a culture that is defacto Christan. That makes them writing a bunch of catholics and protestant characters not comparable to the literally count-them-on-one-hand muslim characters in superhero comics being written by people who may or may not know much about muslim culture.
I was acknowledging that, and saying that having characters like Monet existing alongside Dust or Kamala Khan and her friends/family or GW Bridge or Faiza/Excalibur and etc. is a good thing but trying to make sure all of them hit all of the Proper Checkpoint Of A Proper Muslim is a folly even if it's understandable. Apologies if I made that unclear. I'm also not entirely sure what the conflict here in the conversation other than the one person who isn't happy with any of the characters mentioned above.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Edge & Christian posted:

Yeah, when Claremont came back for round two (three?) on the X-Men she had an uncle who was a minister who got killed more or less off-panel and there was a a bit of a thing about faith in that run if I recall. I mostly remember it because it was kind of out of nowhere that she had anything resembling a religious upbringing.

Oh, neat! Thanks.

And now I will heave a sigh at the notion the Grey clan was brutally murdered. Oh, Chris.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
Just call everyone 'rear end in a top hat', 'fucker', or shitheel'; they are gender neutral.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
https://twitter.com/MKatwood/status/1105832248924872704

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Xarbala posted:

Honestly the fact that so many of us remember a time when dude or bro very nearly became neutral terms speaks to our age more than anything.

It's like how some writers use "Sir" as a gender neutral term in a military context despite the fact that you'd actually use "Ma'am" when appropriate.

The sir thing is because in the military this is actually the proper terminology. Or at least that was my understanding of it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Vince MechMahon posted:

The sir thing is because in the military this is actually the proper terminology. Or at least that was my understanding of it.

In the US Army, at the very least, "Ma'am" is correct.

quote:

4-5. Most forms of military courtesy have some counterpart in civilian
life. For example, we train soldiers to say sir or ma’am when talking to a
higher ranking officer. Young men and women are sometimes taught to say
sir to their fathers or ma’am to their mothers and likewise to other elders.
It is often considered good manners for a younger person to say sir or
ma’am when speaking to an older person. The use of the word sir is also
common in the business world, such as in the salutation of a letter or in any
well-ordered institution.
https://usacac.army.mil/sites/default/files/misc/doctrine/CDG/cdg_resources/manuals/fm/fm7_21x13.pdf

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

Hostile V posted:

Y'all and yinz are delightfully nonbinary terms I use regularly.

I appreciate this Pittsburgh inclusivity.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Oh yeah I was just using the US military as a reference, as a proud American I forgot to consider things might be different in other English-speaking countries.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
would just like to give a big gently caress you to whichever nazi coward gave archy that new av

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I feel sort of bad wading back into this because it really doesn't have much to do with comics, but clearly I touched a nerve so I want to clarify.

First, whether it's on your radar or not, gender-neutral terms of address are a going concern in my field, and an ongoing issue in feminist and LGBTQ+ circles. I shouldn't have started from such an aggro position, because of course not everyone is aware of these structural issues with male-coded terms like "dude" or whatever, but once you're aware of them, dismissing them out of hand feels like a lovely thing to do.

Here's a brief blog post by the educator Diane Rubino, that does fine as a very broad overview, and another by Debbie Cameron that makes a similar point while acknowledging the semantic slipperiness of such terms.

I hope it's also self-evident that the ambiguities of these terms are especially pointed for non-cis people. As a trans woman, even when it's used innocuously and in good faith, when I hear "dude" or "sir" a very different sort of interpallation is going on, and non-binary and trans students across the board have expressed to me a discomfort with "guys" as a form of plural address. Like, I'll acknowledge that it was awkward and difficult to train myself to not reflexively slip back into "ok guys" when addressing a class, but making that effort to find less compulsorily gendered and gendering ways of negotiating my way around language has been worth it, and as a simple gesture of empathy I think it's well worth practicing.

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Mar 14, 2019

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

site posted:

would just like to give a big gently caress you to whichever nazi coward gave archy that new av

Personally, I think avatar 'gifts' should be public knowledge. People do lovely things when they can hide behind anonymity.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Yeah its an artifact that needs to go cuz it's just increasingly a tool of chickenshit chuds to throw tantrums and not get called out for it

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
re: the word dude, it's kind of a contextual thing, and i'd say as a general rule it's gendered if you're using it as a noun and non-gendered if you're using it as an interjection

"I gently caress dudes" doesn't make sense as non-gendered, but "dude, chill out" is not necessarily the same

Dreqqus
Feb 21, 2013

BAMF!
I run in leftist circles and me nor any of my friends are perfect angels, but as long as you learn from, and respect people when they tell you something you said made them uncomfortable, and not, you know, spend $20 self owning, you're generally ok. It's the folks that continuously make the same mistakes and/or angrily refuse to admit that their actions impact others that get rightfully chastised. If someone doesn't want to be called dude because it's masculine in their local dialect then don't call them dude and move on with your life.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gynovore posted:

Personally, I think avatar 'gifts' should be public knowledge. People do lovely things when they can hide behind anonymity.

They've said it isn't possible to do this, the admins can't even see who made the purchase.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

ImpAtom posted:

They've said it isn't possible to do this, the admins can't even see who made the purchase.

Wait what???

Mods/admins, can I get a confirmation on this?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

ImpAtom posted:

What a well coded forum.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Gynovore posted:

Wait what???

Confirmed.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

X-O posted:

Confirmed.

gently caress. I had always assumed that if Goon A bought Goon B an *extremely* offensive avatar, Goon A would be banned. Now you're saying that the admins can't even tell who bought who what?

Fuuuuuuuuuuck.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Someone once discussed their sexual assault survival story in a thread that was about that topic and someone else bought them a truly disgusting avatar and title that both made fun of them for it and accused them of only sharing it to "attention whore". I can only assume that person is still posting today.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Cool to think about how back in the day doing that was considered funny and celebrated and being able to do it anonymously was a feature not a bug

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

site posted:

Cool to think about how back in the day doing that was considered funny and celebrated and being able to do it anonymously was a feature not a bug

The mods were not happy about it iirc, but this was the silver age of the forums, attitudes had already been shifting.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
Can the mods/admins tell whether an avatar was bought by the user or by someone else?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Gynovore posted:

Can the mods/admins tell whether an avatar was bought by the user or by someone else?

The only avatar adjustments that mods/admins can see a history of are the ones done personally by mods/admins. So if some mod gave someone an avatar I'd see that under their user history. If you gave someone or yourself one I would not.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

X-O posted:

The only avatar adjustments that mods/admins can see a history of are the ones done personally by mods/admins. So if some mod gave someone an avatar I'd see that under their user history. If you gave someone or yourself one I would not.

So, if someone was a racist trumploving chud, they could buy themselves an horrible racist avatar, and when people inevitably complain, they could say "Oh woe is me, some scurrilous individual forced this horrible, horrible avatar upon me! But fear not, I shall buy a new, friendly avatar as soon as I get a birthday check from my Aunt Mabel!" And no one could prove otherwise or do anything?

gently caress.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
The mods or maybe just admins can force change the av and the racist would be out some money but yeah

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Gynovore posted:

Wait what???

It's because the payment poo poo is completely separate from the forums as a whole

And given the all volunteer staff, that's not a terrible idea

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Lurdiak posted:

Someone once discussed their sexual assault survival story in a thread that was about that topic and someone else bought them a truly disgusting avatar and title that both made fun of them for it and accused them of only sharing it to "attention whore". I can only assume that person is still posting today.

That one turd in Gen Chat bought me one mocking another posters sexual assault, that was incredibly cool to find out about while I was at work because my email blew up with like ten PMs at once

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
I hear a lot of my students use "dude" and "bro" in a gender-neutral way. That's just my personal experiences though.

site posted:

The mods or maybe just admins can force change the av and the racist would be out some money but yeah

This is a better idea than what we currently have.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Hell, I got doxxed, and my actual picture from a work advert was slapped on my profile and no mod could tell me who did it.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Yeah fortunately I got a pretty toothless and petty one-- honestly if someone hadn't very kindly gifted me an av cert right after I would have just learned to live with it because, like, what's the worst that would happen--? People would have seen it and thought a) that I like gender neutral language (true), or b) that I poop in a diaper (untrue for decades! and in any case transparently juvenile).

I can only imagine getting one that's deliberately triggering, or a doxxing (that sucks bunnyofdoom, like, enormously-- sorry it happened to you) or actually obscene or offensive.

And yeah the anonymity is pretty lovely too. I hope that if I have any kind of reputation on SA its as someone who's generally willing to talk out differences and back down from a hardline when necessary, or to acknowledge when my emotions have been running hot and apologize accordingly?

Wendell
May 11, 2003

bunnyofdoom posted:

Hell, I got doxxed, and my actual picture from a work advert was slapped on my profile and no mod could tell me who did it.

What the gently caress? That’s really frightening. What were they even angry about?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Wendell posted:

What the gently caress? That’s really frightening. What were they even angry about?

Basically: Long Story Short: I worked for a Canadian Political Party at the time. Someone in CanPol got mad, doxxed me, and also emailed my boss directly trying to get me fired.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
This tweet reminded me of that one moron, so I'm posting it to subtweet him because i know hes still reading this thread

https://twitter.com/PrettyBadLefty/status/1106538423693856769?s=19

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Was mostly just gonna back off from this thread for a while, but I'm kinda weirded out that someone not only gifted Archyduchess a rude redtext, but gave me two separate ones. I was worried I'd seriously offended someone despite my apology and edit, but now I'm suspecting shenanigans.

More cash for Lowtax's cyber spine, I guess.

Anyway, back to shutting the gently caress up here for a while.

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.
Looks like Gunn is back on GotG, so the chuds didn't win that one.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
Supposedly they didn't even look for a new director, so they probably never planned to fully remove him.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yeah they just put the film on hold. The articles say they made this decision months ago.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Cernovich is already trying to start the same poo poo back even though today is not a good day for that. hopefully this time they don't cave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.

Hemingway To Go! posted:

Cernovich is already trying to start the same poo poo back even though today is not a good day for that. hopefully this time they don't cave.

I doubt they were unaware this would pop up again and decided they could handle it.