Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

K8.0 posted:

A week after the release of a 10 hour long mechanics-focused game people aren't necessarily going to be using spoiler tags. If you don't want to get spoiled, don't read the thread. If you were too stupid to figure that out on your own, tough poo poo.

This is a ridiculous take, come on. Just be decent about it and use spoiler tags. It’s not hard at all and saves people a ton of frustration when they’re just trying to read up on the game while playing through it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

K8.0 posted:

A week after the release of a 10 hour long mechanics-focused game people aren't necessarily going to be using spoiler tags.

that's exactly when people should be using spoiler tags, if they don't want to be dicks of course

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Update: the extremely good player tried to royal guard Cavalier and if you mess up the parry timing on Hell And Hell you just straight up die

The game lets you use 3 gold orbs and he used them all on missed parries and had to redo a like 10 minute mission

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Ah, the traditional "gently caress common courtesy, it's been a week and it's hard to type in spoiler tags" season has started.

Before you ask I dunno when you can stop caring but it's not a WEEK after release, regardless of how obvious you think everything is.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
You get to stop caring when Capcom drops the DLC with them playable, which is prob gonna be in like two weeks

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Man I cannot get these back-to-forward inputs to work consistently for the life of me. There's something big about them I'm not getting.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

aegof posted:

Man I cannot get these back-to-forward inputs to work consistently for the life of me. There's something big about them I'm not getting.

are you doing back to forward based on where the character is facing at that moment?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

aegof posted:

If you're like me, you're locking on after you already started the back-to-forward motion. Alternatively, if you're also like me, your geometrical intelligence sucks and you're not inputting the right "back".

Mostly the former though.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

CharlestonJew posted:

are you doing back to forward based on where the character is facing at that moment?

Yeah. One of the first things I figured out with these games.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I'm able to reliably get them by continuing to hold forward+attack until the character actually starts doing the move, but only if I'm not doing anything else, queuing them up in the middle of a combo sequence just plain doesn't work most of the time. The Cavalier back-to-forward often just doesn't execute for me even though I do it the same way every time.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Dias posted:

Before you ask I dunno when you can stop caring but it's not a WEEK after release, regardless of how obvious you think everything is.

If you're a no life dork who plays video games all day a week is an eternity, so these people are basically telling on themselves.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

If you're a no life dork who plays video games all day a week is an eternity, so these people are basically telling on themselves.

“An eternity... in an hour”

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Dias posted:

If you're like me, you're locking on after you already started the back-to-forward motion. Alternatively, if you're also like me, your geometrical intelligence sucks and you're not inputting the right "back".

Mostly the former though.

Locking on is definitely not the problem, but maybe you're right about the angle thing. Is back-to-forward more sensitive to that than forwards and backs? I get lots of those when I try to back-to-forward.

CJacobs posted:

I'm able to reliably get them by continuing to hold forward+attack until the character actually starts doing the move, but only if I'm not doing anything else, queuing them up in the middle of a combo sequence just plain doesn't work most of the time. The Cavalier back-to-forward often just doesn't execute for me even though I do it the same way every time.

I think I get a lot of charged forwards from that kinda thing, but I'll give it a more deliberate try in the Void next time I play.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I’m watching a really good player stream themselves play Hell or Hell mode right now and they’re getting D ranks and I don’t understand how that’s supposed to be possible. I actually don’t see myself beating that mode at all, although I’ve always beaten DMD mode in these games usually.

I think I can get the all S ranks on Devil Hunter - they feel mostly fair.

Also I can’t believe I didn’t notice this at all - there are no healing items in the game? It just kind of lets you die and revive which I think is actually the better way to teach new players you shouldn’t rely on items too much.

Essentially for Hell and Hell? Don't ever get hit. That's the gist of it. That's why I say it'll be a bitch, ha.

And, yep, no healing items. Gotta heal naturally through player means or find green orbs. Considering I never really used the things I didn't really miss 'em.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Merilan posted:

“An eternity... in an hour”

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Kilometers Davis posted:

This is a ridiculous take, come on. Just be decent about it and use spoiler tags. It’s not hard at all and saves people a ton of frustration when they’re just trying to read up on the game while playing through it.

You're right, the 95% of people discussing post-game content should write a paragraph to carefully spoiler the fight they're talking about, followed by three words in black, another clever paragraph spoilering the weapon they're using for one move, three spoilered words, a spoiler for the next bit being post game, three more black words, then another bit saying the next part is going back to talking about the next fight in the mission, and then describing another spoilered weapon, etc.

You're a loving moron.

aegof posted:

You're probably hitting the button too early. Thankfully this game has a proper training mode so you can figure that stuff out for simpler scenarios.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

K8.0 posted:

You're right, the 95% of people discussing post-game content should write a paragraph to carefully spoiler the fight they're talking about, followed by three words in black, another clever paragraph spoilering the weapon they're using for one move, three spoilered words, a spoiler for the next bit being post game, three more black words, then another bit saying the next part is going back to talking about the next fight in the mission, and then describing another spoilered weapon, etc.

You're a loving moron.

Or just write (endgame spoilers) and put the whole text in spoiler tags, dumbass

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
S-Ranked DMD mission 10 on the first try. Things get real intense the more you are just trying to bleed out a combo in trying to kill poo poo and I finally starting applying electric Cerberus poo poo more in this playthrough and its tracking balls attack is godlike. I think all I have left is mission 18 and that's both of my personal demon missions done on DMD S-Rank.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

K8.0 posted:

You're a loving moron.

If that bothers you maybe you should avoid a thread during release week instead of whining.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Is there a trick to S ranking Mission 10? I've finished SoS no problem and want to move onto DMD after I get every orb and S rank everything in Devil Hunter and absolutely cannot get above an A on Mission 10. I feel like I'm doing great then Furies utterly sink my style rank into oblivion.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

K8.0 posted:

You're a loving moron

Kilometers Davis is one of the nicest people on the forums and you're a dipshit 30something who posts like a teenage Redditor. Absolutely embarrassing.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

RevolverDivider posted:

Is there a trick to S ranking Mission 10? I've finished SoS no problem and want to move onto DMD after I get every orb and S rank everything in Devil Hunter and absolutely cannot get above an A on Mission 10. I feel like I'm doing great then Furies utterly sink my style rank into oblivion.

Baal gave me this advice when I was struggling with it earlier and it helped quite a bit:

Captain Baal posted:

So here's what I learned throughout doing that stage multiple times to s rank it.

1. You want to try as best as you can to get to and stay and S rank or higher on the first two fights. This is gonna require a lot of weapon switching, style switching, and even taunting occasionally. If you don end thise fights with at least 4k points or higher you might just wanna restart the mission.
2. Do not extra fights if you can help it, the score is an average not accumulative. The more you fight the more generalized your score is and the regular fights are already at about 7 or 8 before you factor in the extra fights.
3. Do not get hit as much as you possibly can. I know this sounds obvious as poo poo, but I shrugged off dropping ranks in some fights thinking it'd be no big deal. Your first fight is gonna dictate your points going through the stage a lot and you need to do as well as humanly possibly to not only maintain score but even raise it.
4. No continues bonus gives you a 1.2 multiplier and that can make up the remaining points a lot depending on how your score ends, but this one most people will just do regardless.

Aside from that, just do your best to mix up styles with dante and even get some royalguard blocks in there. It's a really obnoxious s rank and showed me a lot of the flaws in the style rankings.

In addition, my own advice is to save the small monsters for last in the big fights. It is the natural inclination to go for them first because they're weak and will be out of the way, but if you kill them while your style rank is low you won't get many points from them. You'll get more points overall for wailing on the bigger enemies to get your style rank up and then doing a clean sweep of everything including the little guys in quick succession.

edit: Also, Dante's Swordmaster shredder moves basically auto-parry Furies because it hits so many times per second, and you get an instant style rank boost by parrying them just like with Death Scissors-es, so when you see one charging up start spinning that sword like a blender.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Mar 15, 2019

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

impossibly hilarious that even as the game wore on and kept adding new monsters with bigger shields and weapons and magical fuckery, the one baddie that never failed to hit me at least once was still the berserker meatcleaver dunce.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

DLC Inc posted:

impossibly hilarious that even as the game wore on and kept adding new monsters with bigger shields and weapons and magical fuckery, the one baddie that never failed to hit me at least once was still the berserker meatcleaver dunce.

I can't NOT try to hit those fucks when they're berserk.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

K8.0 posted:

You're a loving moron.

You're describing a terrible use of spoiler tags.

Bad: I burned all my red orbs with Dr Faustus on the Vergil fight, can't wait for Bloody Palace
Good: I burned all my red orbs with Dr Faustus on the Vergil fight, can't wait for Bloody Palace

It's not hard and you don't have an excuse.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Ahh, so your argument is that the 50% of the thread that is posts actually talking about the game should be blacked out, because it's all spoilers to someone who skipped all the trailers and hasn't started playing yet, since they need to come to the thread to read posts that... aren't about the game? That definitely makes a lot of sense.

I didn't actually post any spoiler poo poo, so your ire is completely misdirected. I'm just pointing out how monumentally stupid anyone coming here and complaining about spoilers is. The only thing people complain about spoilering was spoiled by the devs pre-release, is spoiled by the use of spoiler tags themselves since it's the only thing that could require spoilers, and is something the game punches you in the face with ten minutes into your first playthrough.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

K8.0 posted:

Ahh, so your argument is that the 50% of the thread that is posts actually talking about the game should be blacked out, because it's all spoilers to someone who skipped all the trailers and hasn't started playing yet, since they need to come to the thread to read posts that... aren't about the game? That definitely makes a lot of sense.

I didn't actually post any spoiler poo poo, so your ire is completely misdirected. I'm just pointing out how monumentally stupid anyone coming here and complaining about spoilers is. The only thing people complain about spoilering was spoiled by the devs pre-release, is spoiled by the use of spoiler tags themselves since it's the only thing that could require spoilers, and is something the game punches you in the face with ten minutes into your first playthrough.

spoilers about the final boss of the game should be in tags you dork

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

K8.0 posted:

I really don't get why you are taking this position. You know very well that the line between important spoilers and non-important ones is ambiguous, and thus it's better to err on the side of caution to avoid ruining surprises for people who want to talk about the game before they've beaten it. And you also know very well that nobody is coming at it from the strawman perspective of "so you're saying EVERY post should be spoilered" because that would be stupid. You are surely smarter than you're making yourself look here.

Also, someone posted an embedded video of the final boss of the game. It's inexcusable.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

So unlike you doofuses who are complaining about people spoilering it while ACTIVELY SPOILERING IT YOURSELF I'm going to explain this to you in a spoiler tag : Because the spoiler people care about is spoiled WHEN YOU SAY IT'S A SPOILER. There's only one possible boss name that can be a spoiler, so saying you're putting the final boss in spoilers is exactly the same thing as saying who the final boss is. There are tons of posts here about Malphas and Cavaliere, neither the name of the boss nor the generic things they do are spoilers. People only spoilering one guy tells you EXACTLY who that guy is. Complaining at me is loving retarded because I'm one of the only people in the thread who has bothered to post in such a way that my posts don't make it incredibly obvious.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
so your argument is that we should just let people post embedded videos and pictures of the final boss with no warning whatsoever, and the ones who are calling people out for doing it are the REAL spoilers? you're insane

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

K8.0 posted:

Nobody believes this.

edit: just saw the second post. Log off.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

DLC Inc posted:

I mean these fucks are crazy aggressive and get some sort of Hyper Armor once they get all veiny and poo poo, which is right after you hit them. Also the way they appeared in the second mission really took me of guard, good on the devs to mix stuff up or people who played the demo and know it by heart.

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

RevolverDivider posted:

I haven't tried S ranking it on SOS yet, but what worked for me on DH was using royal guard to build style before attacking anything in the first two fights.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Peewi posted:

I haven't tried S ranking it on SOS yet, but what worked for me on DH was using royal guard to build style before attacking anything in the first two fights.

drat, that's smart. I gotta try that for Mission 12, which has a very similar kinda thing going on. :eyepop:

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Dodging things with precise timing also gives style, air taunting is a good way to maintain style, spamming deliberately weak projectiles can help reduce style bleed without doing much damage. There are probably a few other things I'm overlooking that you can do to make maintaining style in those mechanically weird fights work better, but those things are the biggest keys.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Fun fact: If you are playing as nero and fighting the cleaver hells they are always able to be bustered. This even includes when they are rebounding from being knocked down and coming back at you

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Nobody believes this.

edit: just saw the second post. Log off.

The only use for spoiler tags is to sneak a slur in because no one wants to read your bullshit, it turns out.

Captain Baal posted:

Fun fact: If you are playing as nero and fighting the cleaver hells they are always able to be bustered. This even includes when they are rebounding from being knocked down and coming back at you

I don't think I ever tried bustering them during that animation, guess I have something new to try and pull off.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

K8.0 posted:

So unlike you doofuses who are complaining about people spoilering it while ACTIVELY SPOILERING IT YOURSELF I'm going to explain this to you in a spoiler tag : Because the spoiler people care about is spoiled WHEN YOU SAY IT'S A SPOILER. There's only one possible boss name that can be a spoiler, so saying you're putting the final boss in spoilers is exactly the same thing as saying who the final boss is. There are tons of posts here about Malphas and Cavaliere, neither the name of the boss nor the generic things they do are spoilers. People only spoilering one guy tells you EXACTLY who that guy is. Complaining at me is loving retarded because I'm one of the only people in the thread who has bothered to post in such a way that my posts don't make it incredibly obvious.

If you don't think it's a common courtesy to spoiler tag things that might be spoilers, why did you bother going to the effort of being 'one of the only people' who has bothered to be vague about it? You must have some consideration of others, so why make an argument to justify people who don't.

People are complaining at you because you took a loving ridiculous stance.

Nobody bothers spoiling Malphas and Cavaliere because they are not recurring characters to the series.

From the recurring characters there's at least Vergil, Sparda or Mundus who could all be behind a single word final boss name spoiler tag, all of which would be big spoilers and drastically different context.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Because it's not unreasonable to avoid spoilers, it's easy enough and doesn't inconvenience me so why not. I'm pointing out the incredible hypocritical idiocy of people who think that someone else potentially getting spoiled is worth complaining about, while simultaneously adding more spoilers. You've done the exact same thing with your post, you pretty much couldn't spell out what you're talking about more without writing the actual words, so by your own stupid definition you're an uncourteous person.

To be clear, two parts to my argument :

1. If you are a DMC fan and you expect to go to a DMC thread a week after release and not be spoiled, you're dumb. If you're new it's not a spoiler, you don't know who he is anymore than Malphas.
2. If you complain about spoilers in a way that increases the spoiler-density of the thread, you're dumb.

Also come the gently caress on, are you seriously going to make an argument that in this game that CONSTANTLY hints at Vergil in numerous directions from the very opening, people going "wow that spoiler reveal of a famous DMC character sure was something" is going to make you think that it's loving Sparda or Mundus?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

You're insane.