Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's a 500 billion suit

"I hope I don't spill something on my 500 billion dollar suit! C'mon!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I wonder how much of the decision to rehire James Gunn stemmed from review bashing of certain movies. You aren't going to please these people no matter what, so gently caress em.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

bull3964 posted:

I wonder how much of the decision to rehire James Gunn stemmed from review bashing of certain movies. You aren't going to please these people no matter what, so gently caress em.

Apparently they made the decision a while ago and have been sitting on it for some reason. But it probably was something like that since it's a constant problem.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Someone in the CD thread (unless it was this thread things are moving fast) said the exec who made the decision to fire him quit at the start of the year

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
They couldn't keep sitting on it after seeing Fox News (probably) not caring about Tucker Carlson's stuff.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

My guess would be that they wanted to just bury the news somewhere so it didn't create another RWM/chud backlash and now was as good a time as any since the assholes are already looking like idiots about Captain Marvel.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

The first Love Death and Robots short felt hella videogamey. Which made sense once I saw that it was by Blur.

Second one was awesome. I'm gonna guess that these are different studios doing these??

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Ok I’ll give AD some credit: the explanation for why there are terrible flashback sequences is pretty good.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Lycus posted:

They couldn't keep sitting on it after seeing Fox News (probably) not caring about Tucker Carlson's stuff.

Again

e: nm you mean sitting on it rather than making the decision, sorry. Yeah, I'm not sure why now, but that makes as much sense as anything.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

bring back old gbs posted:

[extremely netflix exec voice]
how much cg tittie art do you think i can commission before shareholders notice and make me edit it into a movie??

[love+robots voice]
can we show pussy too?

[extremely netflix exec voice]
take whatever you meant by that, and double it.

After Devilman Crybaby its not that weird that Netflix is totally okay with making horny as hell animated stuff.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

That reminds me, Netflix rotated their MST3Ks today. Down to only 10 tho : (

This seeding is ridiculous

Cloud Atlas is a 4 seed. Really.

zoux fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Mar 15, 2019

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

zoux posted:

]

So is Skyfall. And The Muppets.

am0kgonzo
Jun 18, 2010
I hope Love, Death & Robots will be successful enough to lead to more high quality animated adaptations of Alastair Reynolds work.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Attack the Block and Fury Road as 1 seeds and Spider-Verse at 2 are both objectively correct, though.

e: other 4 seeds there are Your Name/Her, both of which I loved, so that's right too

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Wait what the gently caress why is BR2049 a 15 seed, jesus christ

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

zoux posted:

I demand to know Edge of Tomorrow's RPI

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
hahahahaha that AD ending

jesus christ

put it in the bin forever

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I liked AD season 4 a lot but haven't worked up the effort to care about either half of S5

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I'm finally giving 501 of AD a watch and, man, the amount of recapping is really annoying.

I mostly liked the original cut of S4.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Arist posted:

What the gently caress

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

The animation for The Witness is INSANE

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

The animation for The Witness is INSANE

Yeah reminded me of Into the Spiderverse a bit. wait until you get to Helping Hand, that one was just nuts with the detail they went for

dayum like 30 seconds into ZIMA BLUE and I'm already in love with this style too. I think the only dud for me so far was the vampire/cave one

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Mar 15, 2019

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I don't know sports things so I don't know what a seed is, but going through that chart was boring because Mad Max was the first thing on the list and every movie I looked at after I knew would lose to it.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Arist posted:

Yeah I've seen enough of them to feel I could complete it (the only big one I've not seen yet think that might have made a challenge is Spider-Verse) and I had BR2049 winning overall against Inception in the final

(BR204 over Moon, Inception over Your Name)

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

feedmyleg posted:

I don't know sports things so I don't know what a seed is, but going through that chart was boring because Mad Max was the first thing on the list and every movie I looked at after I knew would lose to it.

Its not complicated. #1 is the best, #16 is the worst. So yeah... the first name you see is the favorite.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

zoux posted:

Annihilation 16?
It Follows 12?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I didn't like Fury Road and I don't even know what Attack the Block is, so I'm thinking that's not a tournament for me.

Its funny because I counted and I've seen 38 of the films on the list and enjoyed most of them. But there's at least 4 films I've never heard of. I'm a bad nerd.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Attack the Block is in my top 5 films, and it's John Boyega's first "big" role. It's a great movie.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Wait holy poo poo is The World's End not even on that list? Goddammit.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

People always seemed down on The World's End. I quite liked it, although for some reason only ever watched it once. I preferred it over Hot Fuzz which everyone else goes loopy over, though.

STAC Goat posted:

Its funny because I counted and I've seen 38 of the films on the list and enjoyed most of them. But there's at least 4 films I've never heard of. I'm a bad nerd.

Which ones don't you know, beyond ATB? (Which is really good, so if you dig a lot of the ones on the list you're missing out by not catching it)

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

EL BROMANCE posted:

Yeah I've seen enough of them to feel I could complete it (the only big one I've not seen yet think that might have made a challenge is Spider-Verse) and I had BR2049 winning overall against Inception in the final

I haven't seen a few of the horror movies, but on my first read through I agree with that final pairing. I'm not sure which would win, but I'm biased towards Inception because of the soundtrack.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Arist posted:

Wait holy poo poo is The World's End not even on that list? Goddammit.

I assume that list is curated which would explain some weird choices. Like Toy Story 3 and Inside Out are good movies but I definitely wouldn't file them in Scifi/Fantasy, same with all the horror movies.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I’ve only seen the first six episodes of LD+R because I then let my housemate and her friends use the living room because OH MAN it all deserves to be watched on the big TV it’s soooo loving pretty

and yeah the episodes The Witness and Suits both reminded me of Spider-Verse’s animation in certain ways

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Which ones don't you know, beyond ATB? (Which is really good, so if you dig a lot of the ones on the list you're missing out by not catching it)

I haven't like rejected it or anything. I just had literally never heard of it. I looked it up and like, it sounds like it might be up my block and its on a streaming service I have so I'm thinking I might watch it tonight. There's some clues that make me think I'll like it and some that make me think I might not but if its so highly regarded its definitely worth a look.

The ones I didn't recognize were Attack the Block, Moon, The Wind Rises, Only Lovers Left Alive, Your Name, Midnight in Paris, and Her.
Also I've heard of Cloud Atlas and Snowpiercer but have no idea what they are. Everything else I've either seen or kind of want to see except for the cartoons, the 3rd Apes film (I didn't like the first two so I'm not gonna bother), the Bond film (I've just never seen a Bond film and I just can't be bothered to start), and the Star Wars films (I go back and forth on if i care).

edit: Oh, and Star Trek.

Basically the films I "dislike" on the list are all the big sci-fi ones so i think my tastes are pretty clear. Blade Runner, Annihilation, Fury Road, Apes, Looper, Hunger Games, Pacific Rim. So there's an obvious pattern.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Mar 15, 2019

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Beyond The Aquila Rift looks real

Holy poo poo

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Of those, I would highly recommend Your Name, Attack the Block, and Her. The rest I just haven't seen.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

STAC Goat posted:

I haven't like rejected it or anything. I just had literally never heard of it. I looked it up and like, it sounds like it might be up my block and its on a streaming service I have so I'm thinking I might watch it tonight. There's some clues that make me think I'll like it and some that make me think I might not but if its so highly regarded its definitely worth a look.

The ones I didn't recognize were Attack the Block, Moon, The Wind Rises, Only Lovers Left Alive, Your Name, Midnight in Paris, and Her.
Also I've heard of Cloud Atlas and Snowpiercer but have no idea what they are. Everything else I've either seen or kind of want to see except for the cartoons, the 3rd Apes film (I didn't like the first two so I'm not gonna bother), and the Bond film (I've just never seen a Bond film and I just can't be bothered to start).

WATCH HER

WATCH HER

WATCH HER

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Her is on Netflix, for the record.

e: and none of the ones I recommended have big sci-fi premises, they're very much about regular people in some form of odd situation, the weird sci-fi is not the focus. Snowpiercer is also very good but that sounds like one of the ones he wouldn't like.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think Attack the Block and Lovers Left Alive look like they might be up my alley. I'll give Her some consideration. It doesn't call out to me but I respect your opinions. The rest don't appeal to me from what I can tell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Arist posted:

Of those, I would highly recommend Your Name, Attack the Block, and Her. The rest I just haven't seen.

Moon is really good. You just have to deal with the fact that Kevin Spacey voices a minor character in it.