Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What type of plants are you interested in growing?
This poll is closed.
Perennials! 142 20.91%
Annuals! 30 4.42%
Woody plants! 62 9.13%
Succulent plants! 171 25.18%
Tropical plants! 60 8.84%
Non-vascular plants are the best! 31 4.57%
Screw you, I'd rather eat them! 183 26.95%
Total: 679 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

cakesmith handyman posted:

I don't know if it'll cause any harm but you could line the inside of the pot with some spray sealer or something similar?

Pablo Bluth posted:

A couple of years ago I had to replace my copper hot water tank. I couldn't be bothered to take it to a metal recyclers so the two halves are now used as containers in the garden. I just used a bunch of overlapping unopened bin bags to line the sides/bottom. The plants seem happy so far.

Thanks for this; a little more reading shows copper is poisonous, and this may contain some, but not much should leech into the soil. Don't have any sealer on hand so I'll just fiddlefuck a bag liner and not put anything irreplaceable in them.

Some stonecrop for top of the page:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Can anyone identify these seeds? They came from a dried flower that was part of a bouquet. They were arranged in an orb-shaped bloom with the parachute bits on the outside and the feathery white bits attached to the stem, but there were no petals or leaves on the stem when I saw it so I don't have much else to go on.

I'm germinating a few of the seeds now so it'll be easier to identify them eventually, but I'm curious if anyone might be familiar with their shape?

e: Never mind, turns out it's scabiosa stellata!

kedo fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Mar 15, 2019

McSlaughter
Sep 12, 2013

"Kill white people and get paid for it? What's not to like?"
Glyphosate is so bad :yikes:

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Nosre posted:

Some stonecrop for top of the page:

I love stonecrop. Sedum is such a huge genus.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

kid sinister posted:

I love stonecrop. Sedum is such a huge genus.

I've been really struggling to find our locally indigenous stonecrop in nurseries, though. I have a fairly dry garden bed that I want to plant with them, especially since they're pretty self-sufficient over the long run.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Can't find some naturally? I pulled a little chunk off a roof, threw it in a pot to see what would happen, and it's super happy

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Onions, in my yard? It's more likely than I thought.

How do I best get rid of these? There are quite a few clumps of them around in both my front and back yards. I found out they were onions because I used my weed puller on them. Should I just keep doing that?

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Eat them until they are gone?

You can put a strong glyphosate solution on your (gloved) hand and grab the leaves to kill the onions and not the surrounding grass. If you don’t like chemicals for whatever reason, then just keep pulling and pulling-getting the bulb out of the ground is what counts.

They spread by seed though, so there’s a decent chance they’re in your neighbors yard and when you clear them out of yours they’ll just blow in again. Sometimes it’s easier to just pretend you want them there and be glad of the free green onions. My garlic chives have totally taken over a bed and I just pretend that’s what I wanted all along because I’m too lazy to fight them.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
Yeah honestly I'd be stoked to find free onions in my yard. The flowers are kinda pretty too.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I fully intend to keep some in a pot fwiw. I just don't want them taking over my yard more

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I semi-impulse bought some of those small succulent plants at the grocery store to replace the half-or-so succulet seedlings that never bothered to grow. I'm curious, I recall a few youtube channels suggesting that one should repot those things rather quickly, is this true? I'm getting some new soil and stuff in a few days and I plan to hold off until then at least. Related, should I strip old soil off the roots when repotting, or just repot into a larger pot and fill in new soil? Youtube videos are unclear.

Also, is aquarium gravel ok for bottom-of-a-pot rocks? It was all I could find at the store.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Mar 16, 2019

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

There's a rabbit hole of content regarding different mixes for different things, but one generally-agreed-upon thing is that the rich dark dirt that succulents are often sold in (which is very likely from a grocery store) is too much for them, yes. And yea, you should generally gently clean off the roots, not just pick a bigger pot and fill in.

If you want to be simple, just pick up a cactus mix, or otherwise research (or post) exactly what you bought and maybe people can give you specific advice!

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Nosre posted:

If you want to be simple, just pick up a cactus mix, or otherwise research (or post) exactly what you bought and maybe people can give you specific advice!

Well, last time I bought a bag of Miracle-Gro succulent mix which I mixed with some perlite and coco choir. The latter two I'm not entirely sure where the hell they are since my move a year ago, so I'm being a bit :effort: this time around (plus given the weather outside and cozier apartment building I'm in now, I'm not really in a position to have large-ish bags of soil around) and kinda impulse bought this well-rated stuff instead.

late edit: there's a lot of talk about not watering freshly repotted plants, what about the lighting situation? my plants area has a north-facing window and a grow light, and I'm not 100% sure what to do. I kinda remember I'm supposed to put them in shade for a while (whatever that is indoors?), but I can't remember where I read that.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Mar 17, 2019

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007
Any idea what these two are?

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

terre packet posted:

Second is a rabbit's foot fern in desperate need of watering. Actually, it might already be dead if it got that bad. Those things will die if you think about giving them a dirty look.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Anyone know what kind of plant this is?

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT
I want to put in some day lillies this spring but I haven’t bought bulbs before. How much should I be paying for bulbs? The price ranges are insane.

Does anyone have recommendations for drought tolerant day lillies that do well in zone 7?

I want to put in something that will take care of itself mostly.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Silver Nitrate posted:

I want to put in some day lillies this spring but I haven’t bought bulbs before. How much should I be paying for bulbs? The price ranges are insane.

Does anyone have recommendations for drought tolerant day lillies that do well in zone 7?

I want to put in something that will take care of itself mostly.
Deer love to eat daylilies, but other than that they are pretty indestructible in my experience. I don't know about drought tolerance specifically, but Frans Hals is a nice big orange one with lots of blooms, Stella d'Oro is quite small for a daylily and a good repeat bloomer. I think I have Joylene Nicole and it's a big huge frilly flower. There are a bazillion varieties of daylilies. All daylilies will bloom a whole lot more if you deadhead them every day-the flowers only last a day anyway, so just wander around in the evening and pick off the spent flowers, and graduate to a level 3 garden weirdo.

Some of my daylilies set seed 2 years ago and I propagated them and I think they'll finally bloom this year. Daylilies don't come true from seed so I'm super excited to see what they look like.

I've had good luck ordering all kinds of things from these folks before:
http://www.marysgardenpatch.com/
They'll sell them to you by the half bushel if you want.

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Deer love to eat daylilies, but other than that they are pretty indestructible in my experience. I don't know about drought tolerance specifically, but Frans Hals is a nice big orange one with lots of blooms, Stella d'Oro is quite small for a daylily and a good repeat bloomer. I think I have Joylene Nicole and it's a big huge frilly flower. There are a bazillion varieties of daylilies. All daylilies will bloom a whole lot more if you deadhead them every day-the flowers only last a day anyway, so just wander around in the evening and pick off the spent flowers, and graduate to a level 3 garden weirdo.

Some of my daylilies set seed 2 years ago and I propagated them and I think they'll finally bloom this year. Daylilies don't come true from seed so I'm super excited to see what they look like.

I've had good luck ordering all kinds of things from these folks before:
http://www.marysgardenpatch.com/
They'll sell them to you by the half bushel if you want.

Thanks! Apparently they’re edible for people too lol

I’m curious to see how your seeds turn out

thesurlyspringKAA
Jul 8, 2005
Does anyone know if there are echeveria, aloe, or sempervivum varieties that can handle 10+ hours of 100f+ direct sun? I want to tear out my lovely Vegas lawn and replace it with rocks and succulents.

How about elephant bush or jade?

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

thesurlyspringKAA posted:

Does anyone know if there are echeveria, aloe, or sempervivum varieties that can handle 10+ hours of 100f+ direct sun? I want to tear out my lovely Vegas lawn and replace it with rocks and succulents.

How about elephant bush or jade?

I mean, if you want to be use more Western hemisphere native plants, I'd look to cactus and agave. And maybe Google xeriscaping - there should be some good advice (including from your local agricultural extensions) about that.

Comedy option: grow a patch of lithops and get the best of both worlds. (You'd need to grow them from seed get enough for an outdoor planting, I'd guess).

thesurlyspringKAA
Jul 8, 2005

Lead out in cuffs posted:

I mean, if you want to be use more Western hemisphere native plants, I'd look to cactus and agave. And maybe Google xeriscaping - there should be some good advice (including from your local agricultural extensions) about that.

Comedy option: grow a patch of lithops and get the best of both worlds. (You'd need to grow them from seed get enough for an outdoor planting, I'd guess).

I called the master gardeners of Nevada and they pretty much recommended the same ugly big agaves that are fairly prevalent. I was just hoping that there might be more attractive options they weren’t aware of.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Master gardeners are usually going to recommend the easiest stuff.

Can you grow some of the crazy euphorbias out there?

What about something big like a traveler’s palm?

Fitzy Fitz fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Mar 22, 2019

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

There are all kinds of prettier agaves. Other things would work, too.

https://blog.moonvalleynurseries.com/nevada/how-to-xeriscape-nv
http://www.amwua.org/plants/cacti.php
http://www.amwua.org/plants/groundcovers.php
http://www.amwua.org/plants/succulents.php

Golden barrel cactus is the classic one people grow.

Oh yeah, here are some ideas for combinations of stuff: http://www.amwua.org/plants/all-combinations.php

Aloes and euphorbia are mostly "old world" plants, and not native to the Americas. There are certainly some that would grow in Nevada, and probably not be invasive, but the equivalents are cacti and agaves. Both are very broad phyla with a huge range of interesting stuff to grow.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

Silver Nitrate posted:

Day lilies are pretty popular plants to breed and therefore come in hundreds if not thousands of variations, which is why the price ranges are so wide. The rarer ones are the expensive ones, which may or may not be less hardy.

The most hardy one I know if I really have only heard called the "ditch lily", a medium height, spindly plant with orange flowers. It is the native variety and will grow almost anywhere (especially Zone 7). Stella d'Oro are the most popular cultivated variety, a small, bushy plant with gold flowers. Buy the cheapest ones you can, they're all identical. Daylilies from Home Depot or your local grocery store are likely to grow well in your zone - Home Depot wouldn't sell many if they sold fragile ones.

However, daylilies are perennials and are divisible after 2-3 years, so if you like a more expensive variety, just buy one or two and plan to divide them. "Dividing" means to dig up the plant in either spring or fall (non-blooming times, basically) and pry the rootball into two or more pieces. Then plant the pieces individually. They will grow to dividing size again in another 2-3 years.

The best way to get any day lily is to have a friend divide/dig you up part of theirs. If you ask around at work you probably have someone who is willing to divide one. My best sources are all my mom's church friends.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

vonnegutt posted:

Day lilies are pretty popular plants to breed and therefore come in hundreds if not thousands of variations, which is why the price ranges are so wide. The rarer ones are the expensive ones, which may or may not be less hardy.

The most hardy one I know if I really have only heard called the "ditch lily", a medium height, spindly plant with orange flowers. It is the native variety and will grow almost anywhere (especially Zone 7). Stella d'Oro are the most popular cultivated variety, a small, bushy plant with gold flowers. Buy the cheapest ones you can, they're all identical. Daylilies from Home Depot or your local grocery store are likely to grow well in your zone - Home Depot wouldn't sell many if they sold fragile ones.

However, daylilies are perennials and are divisible after 2-3 years, so if you like a more expensive variety, just buy one or two and plan to divide them. "Dividing" means to dig up the plant in either spring or fall (non-blooming times, basically) and pry the rootball into two or more pieces. Then plant the pieces individually. They will grow to dividing size again in another 2-3 years.

The best way to get any day lily is to have a friend divide/dig you up part of theirs. If you ask around at work you probably have someone who is willing to divide one. My best sources are all my mom's church friends.
There are apparently like 80,000 varieties of daylilies! To my knowledge, there are no daylilies native to the US (native to East Asia I think?) but the orange one you're talking about, Hemerocallis fulva, is pretty well naturalized here and indestructible/invasive. I actually really like the color of it and have some mixed in with the blue agapanthus that bloom about the same time/height and it's a nice contrast. They multiply rapidly, and have about taken over from the agapanthus.

They really are a great pass-along plant. A neighbor gave me some and they've been sitting in a pot with no dirt in it for a few weeks now and don't seem to mind at all.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Is lack of a cactus growing wide a sign of legginess? My tallest cactii (don't have a pic or their species name on me) are growing quite well, but a bunch of them are having trouble supporting that height and have a habit of falling over. They are over a rather substantial grow light that has made them get rather tall, and the early custom soil feels so insubstantial that it could just be that) so I'm not sure.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Mar 24, 2019

FlyingJellyfish
Feb 11, 2019

Been making bowls out of dried gourds and planting succulents in them. Now to see how long until the bowls rot out since I didn't seal them with anything. Kinda pretty though!

FlyingJellyfish fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Mar 25, 2019

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Home Depot hosed up my order in about 3 different ways, so I only got about 40% of what I wanted to get done this past weekend.

Waiting on more pots to plant the rest of my tomatoes and replant a bunch of succulents that have grown way way too big for their 2" pots, and to replant some bonsais that are likewise outgrowing their vessels. Last summer I had great results growing things on my roof even though I didn't really start until August, getting a head start on things this year. Doing in total:
6 tomato vines
1 jalapeno
2 basil
2 parsley
3 rosemary
3 dwarf meyer lemon trees
2 rose bushes
24 pots of strawberries (going to give a bunch of these away over the summer to friends & family)
1 hanging baskets of strawberries (going over my roof desk)

Still waiting to see how many of last year's shrubs decide to wake up after being outside for the winter, and I need to replant that little evergreen, also got a few square planters that I'm doing bellflowers and some other misc decorative things with. What I really, really want to do is get 2 dwarf cherry trees and the biggest terra cotta pots I can find, but I'm not sure if even that would give enough room to grow to a reasonable size to produce or if it they'll need to be transplanted in 2-3 years. Am I asking for disappointment or is it worth the shot?

I had been in the thread a while back asking about water pumps to get up 15', the cheap thing I bought didn't do the trick though I kept it to set up a trickle system later. Going to invest in a better pump this year, for the time being I just have 2 large watering cans I fill in the tub and carry upstairs. Everything is actually inside right now in the sunniest room of the house because NYC is going to be getting a bit of a coldsnap this week, will get some better pictures of things when I set it all out properly once its safe.

Also not pictured, the kiddie pool filled with all the misc dirt I have that is being seeded as a "lawn" for the dog.

Nephzinho fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Mar 25, 2019

Big Nubbins
Jun 1, 2004
The worst thing about daylilies in the US is they‘re one of the more invasive plants I’ve dealt with, easily displacing other invasive native species; and provide nothing for pollinators. I planted a steep bank of tawny daylily for erosion control that I don’t have to mow and that the neighbors can enjoy. I regret it now that they’ve filled in over the past few years, because they aren’t that great at controlling erosion and I’ve slowly lost some of the slope to the neighbor.

The bright side is that the non-blooming lilies I rescued from under the backyard maples turned out to be doubles!

Big Nubbins fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Mar 25, 2019

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Shame Boner posted:

The worst thing about daylilies in the US is they‘re one of the more invasive plants I’ve dealt with, easily displacing other invasive native species; and provide nothing for pollinators. I planted a steep bank of tawny daylily for erosion control that I don’t have to mow and that the neighbors can enjoy. I regret it now that they’ve filled in over the past few years, because they aren’t that great at controlling erosion and I’ve slowly lost some of the slope to the neighbor.

The bright side is that the non-blooming lilies I rescued from under the backyard maples turned out to be doubles!

Not a day lily, but another kind that is west coast native:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lilium_columbianum

Hell if I can find plants or bulbs, though.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Nosre posted:

Planted a lot of bulbs last fall and I'm excited ~it's happening~

The white are snowbells that were here when we moved in

Oh man, me too!

I naturalized this variety into my front yard and filled a bed with these in the back. The backyard has an unobstructed eastern exposure with tons of sun, and the front faces west with a little less sun.

I've already got crocus and my first blue squill up and those white tulips opening up in the back. I was surprised to find out that there will be multiple blooms of the latter for each plant!

Anyone ever naturalize blue squill into a lawn? Will it easy spread or do I need to be more purposeful?

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

:hf: That mix is a great idea, I woulda done that if it had been available in the local store

Bonus: garden helper trying to make a friend

Vitalis Jackson
May 14, 2009

Sun and water are healthy for you -- but not for your hair!
Fun Shoe

MisterBibs posted:

Is lack of a cactus growing wide a sign of legginess? My tallest cactii (don't have a pic or their species name on me) are growing quite well, but a bunch of them are having trouble supporting that height and have a habit of falling over. They are over a rather substantial grow light that has made them get rather tall, and the early custom soil feels so insubstantial that it could just be that) so I'm not sure.

Hello, MisterBibs! I read your question and I believe I may have an answer. Grow lights are generally quite imperfect when it comes to sunlight replacement; some plant fare better than others under artificial lighting, but plants like desert cacti often struggle. I would suggest that the light level at the top of your affected cactus might be substantially higher than lower down the plant due to the proximity of the grow light. Here is a key question: Is the ratio of the height of the plant, divided by the distance of the light from the base of the plant, less than 1/4, your cactus probably doesn't have enough light! The light fixture, in general, should be at least 4-5x more than the height of the cactus! More is even better!

I would suggest that you might move the plant outdoors whenever possible. Start it out in a semi-shady place for a couple of weeks and gradually work it toward more sun later on. When all danger of frost is over, leave it outside day and night! Most cacti love full sun!

LOVE,
VITALIS

Catpain Slack
Apr 1, 2014

BAAAAAAH

terre packet posted:

Nobody answered this - the top one is a Tradescantia of some sort, probably T. pallida, commonly known as Purple Heart or Wandering Jew. It's very hardy and pretty impossible to kill, though they grow leggy like that if you dont cut them back constantly.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Catpain Slack posted:

Nobody answered this - the top one is a Tradescantia of some sort, probably T. pallida, commonly known as Purple Heart or Wandering Jew. It's very hardy and pretty impossible to kill, though they grow leggy like that if you dont cut them back constantly.
Interesting--I initially pegged this as a Wandering Jew, but the one I have hanging happily near my kitchen window has pointed leaves with a touch of gray-green. This might be a different Tradescantia species. The rounded leaves on this one reminded me of an olive tree.

If you trim it back when it gets leggy, you can easily root the trimmings in water for a new planting and/or to add back into the same pot for volume. I had such luck with the plant outside last year that I took a chance on it as a houseplant, and I haven't been disappointed.

Big Nubbins
Jun 1, 2004
Last night I was pulling the taps out of my silver maples because the sap has gone "buddy" and it just occurred to me that it would still make excellent water for my houseplants as long as the sugar content was sufficiently low. It's got what plants crave, after all! My silver maples were kicking rear end between 2.0% and 2.7% sugar this year but my Norway maple hovers around 1%. Why not just throw a single tap in any decent sap-bearing tree and have practically unlimited water for houseplants?

A rainwater collection system may be a more direct approach, but that's essentially what the tree is doing with the addition of filtration and nutrient addition. I wonder if hormone signalling in the sap affects other plants at all.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Shame Boner posted:

Last night I was pulling the taps out of my silver maples because the sap has gone "buddy" and it just occurred to me that it would still make excellent water for my houseplants as long as the sugar content was sufficiently low. It's got what plants crave, after all! My silver maples were kicking rear end between 2.0% and 2.7% sugar this year but my Norway maple hovers around 1%. Why not just throw a single tap in any decent sap-bearing tree and have practically unlimited water for houseplants?

A rainwater collection system may be a more direct approach, but that's essentially what the tree is doing with the addition of filtration and nutrient addition. I wonder if hormone signalling in the sap affects other plants at all.

I mean, plants do have immune systems of sorts. I don't know a ton about them, or whether they have defenses against parasitic plants, but I'd test it out on some less-important house plants first.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Probably not much.

There's that rooting technique where you soak willow branches in water to extract indolebutyric acid that stimulates root growth in a cutting from another plant, but that's an extreme example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

After coming back inside to avoid the frost and also a bunch of misc cleaning and a ton of repotting, I'm like 95% done.

A few misc things out of frame on either side. Still going to wait and see whether some of my smaller shrubs start sprouting over the next couple of weeks as it warms up further. Took all of my biggest succulents from inside and potted them into a few larger arrangements that I need to figure out positioning on too. My baby evergreen is doing well, but def too big for its container so that is also getting repotted into something 3x as big - just a shame I won't be able to bring it inside for Christmas again this year. Only other big thing is that I think I'm going to try for a dwarf cherry tree, its $35 to try so I'll roll the dice knowing that worst case scenario is I transplant it in my brother's yard in a few years.