Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Aw poo poo terrible page topper

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

People getting mad about spoilers in this thread is weird. I use em but like 3 days after the game out folks were super hyped to talk about post game abilities and whatnot and I even saw a couple gifs floating around and no one was getting mad at it at the time (to the point I considered dropping spoiler tags as it seemed like no one cared).

That said why does Dead Weight trigger Nero so much. Dude carries a massive grudge through the entire game for that comment alone. He repeats it at Urizen 2, yells it back at Dante who flat out tells him that's not what he meant. Then later in a heated argument Dante reveals the real reason and that dead weight was mostly for his sake.

Then Nero *still* refuses to give up that grudge. What the gently caress man. The way his voice cracks when he pouts "I'm not going to let you have all the fhan Dante!" in chapter 18's intro makes me think he's a young teen.

On top of what everyone else said he really respects Dante and in the first like 15 mins of the game he loses the magic sword that Dante entrusted to him gets his rear end beat while trying to save him (from the guy who is supposedly getting massive power from the sword he was unable to protect) and then basically gets told he shouldn't have even tried.

He fixates on Dead Weight because he feels like he let his Uncle-Dad down and he want to show he ain't useless and worthy of his trust.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

That's all fair, I haven't really played 4 since release to be honest so maybe that would of helped :v:. All I really remember about 4 is disliking the Dante section being 100% reused and the dice bullshit.

Frustration getting bigger makes sense then.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

That's all fair, I haven't really played 4 since release to be honest so maybe that would of helped :v:. All I really remember about 4 is disliking the Dante section being 100% reused and the dice bullshit.

Frustration getting bigger makes sense then.

dice is always the same pattern with 100% guaranteed results btw

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Cuntellectual posted:

Putting aside any question of if you SHOULD use spoiler tags or not:

Did anyone not figure out Vergil was the main antagonist? I'm not intimately familiar with the series and that much was apparent pretty much right off the bat, and only kept being more apparent.

Like, he's called "V". The scene when he first meets Dante he's quite clearly saying "Ver-" when it cuts. The guy who cuts off Dante's arm is using a katana. Dante says there's "only one person" he knows that could beat Lady and Trish in a fight. V has several of Vergil's moves. V gets angry when he sees Angelo-classed demons. When Urizen breaks Rebellion, it mirrors the shot of Vergil stabbing Dante with it from dmc3.

People posted videos saying "Vergil cuts off Nero's arm" last year when posting the clip of Nero's arm getting cut off because there's literally nobody else it would be.

Add on the fact that Vergil is conspicuously absent from the first 80% of the game despite all these hints at him being involved, and there's really only one conclusion.

I've only played 3 and 4 so there's probably even more things that hint at it from those games.

I thought the twist was going to be that Urizen was Sparda, what with the whole demon king thing. Other people have mentioned in this thread that this game's ORIGINAL goal was supposedly to finally answer what happened to Sparda after sealing away Mundus, an idea which they clearly abandoned at some point in development. It was obvious Vergil was running around given his appearance in like the first mission in the game, but I thought V was what was left of him after stealing back the Yamato. I had two theories, that he was working with Dante to defeat Sparda (Urizen) so he could claim the kill and turncoat at the last minute, OR that Vergil had somehow genuinely turned over a new leaf and he had to swipe the Yamato back to do whatever he did to cause this change in perspective. Technically speaking, I was right on both counts, but not in the way I thought I would be.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Mar 16, 2019

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Well, I know that style ranks work through an average in this game and therefore extra fights can be dangerous, but I can definitely recommend that you do the extra fights in Mission 10 and 12 because the enemies in them are resilient but easy to style on. Good for boosting the overall average.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Yeah, the extra fight in Mission 10 is particularly good for it because it ends up just being you vs one Empusa Queen and you can style on those things all god drat day on higher difficulties due to their massive health. I walked away from that fight with almost 5500 style points on the run where I finally got the S rank.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Okay I'm super confused. Is there actual like full on co-op in missions?

In my first playthrough on uh... mission 13 I think I got paired with a dante that just kept stinger spamming and was amused by it. Watched a ton of streams and even my friends playing and they never ran into another ghost or whatever (though they had the starring bit pop up) so I started to wonder if I hallucinated my stinger Dante or something.

I just tore rear end through mission 07 as Nero and ran into the V player who joined me in taunting and dicking around grabbing rorbs and whatnot and... I'm like, super convinced that wasn't a ghost.

How is this handled :psyduck:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Okay I'm super confused. Is there actual like full on co-op in missions?

In my first playthrough on uh... mission 13 I think I got paired with a dante that just kept stinger spamming and was amused by it. Watched a ton of streams and even my friends playing and they never ran into another ghost or whatever (though they had the starring bit pop up) so I started to wonder if I hallucinated my stinger Dante or something.

I just tore rear end through mission 07 as Nero and ran into the V player who joined me in taunting and dicking around grabbing rorbs and whatnot and... I'm like, super convinced that wasn't a ghost.

How is this handled :psyduck:

It's not full co-op. I think it's just player ghost data that you see.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

It's not full co-op. I think it's just player ghost data that you see.

New Game+ video so spoilers, though it's chapter 07
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8mVWxsYuac

I don't think this is Ghost Data. I tried to watch him more than I did myself.

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Mar 16, 2019

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Dias posted:

I'm back in college (free higher education bitches) and studying English (...look, it's free higher education), so eventually I'll have to study Blake and probably not be able to take it seriously at all anymore.

:eng101:"Who can tell me about Urizen?"
:v:"Well, Albion sunders their soul using a devil-forged Japanese katana, with his demon side becoming Urizen, and his human side Los/Orc/Luvah, being able to summon dreambeasts.. And then Dante Alighieri turns Cerberus into an ice, fire and lightning nunchuck, a fallen angel into twin motorbike axes, and uses them against Publius Vergilius Maro....that is right isn't it?"
:catstare: "Um...maybe someone else can answer that."

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Mar 16, 2019

Noper Q
Nov 7, 2012
Anywhere you can see another player but not fight the same enemies is ghost data. I've seen my own ghost in these instances.

Anywhere you fight the same enemies is live co-op.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
There's a live coop boss fight pretty early in the game too.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Jack Trades posted:

There's a live coop boss fight pretty early in the game too.

It's very much possible to not have a player in that fight. I don't think I've ever had it be a player, in fact.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

BBJoey posted:

Urizen's name is literally something V made up because he's a William Blake fan.

It is adorable that Vergil is, by proxy, a fan of Blake. That the book of poem's was his mum's fits with the fact she named her kids after poets, too.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
The co-op stuff is clearly them testing things out before the giant Dante/Vergil journey through hell co-op DLC. You heard it here first.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Neurosis posted:

It is adorable that Vergil is, by proxy, a fan of Blake. That the book of poem's was his mum's fits with the fact she named her kids after poets, too.

I love that its implied that Vergil had a pretentious goth phase at one point because that would be 100% in character.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

darealkooky posted:

they're busy being slapped around by a certain umbran witch who's most recent game is in development hell

Trish is an umbran witch don’t argue with me

A Cup of Ramen
Oct 16, 2012

So I got a chance today to get signatures from Itsuno and Matt Walker at Madfest and got a cool shirt and print that they wrote on but I was too much of a wimp to say much of anything to them since there was a big line behind me, but I saw them hanging around the show floor later and went up to say hi.

I asked if Itsuno could understand English and Matt said no, so I struggled through telling him thank you for making DMC5 in Japanese and I think he felt bad enough for me that he actually talked to me in English after LOL, mind he took a while to find the words in English but he struggled way less then me trying to speak Japanese.

Asked me if I beat the game (yes I did), what I thought about Nero's DT (in his words Nero's powa uppu in the final battle) (tried to say it was great in more broken Japanese), what difficulty I beat it on (DH) and if I wanted to go back and do the harder difficulties after I beat it (hell yeah I do).

After that I gave up and just asked Matt to translate what I wanted to say next "please make DLC or just straight up DMC6 be about Dante and Vergil tearing through the underworld" He laughed and said he'd keep it in mind which I mean is probably a non answer but hey good enough for me lol.

Today was awesome.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

A Cup of Ramen posted:

So I got a chance today to get signatures from Itsuno and Matt Walker at Madfest and got a cool shirt and print that they wrote on but I was too much of a wimp to say much of anything to them since there was a big line behind me, but I saw them hanging around the show floor later and went up to say hi.

I asked if Itsuno could understand English and Matt said no, so I struggled through telling him thank you for making DMC5 in Japanese and I think he felt bad enough for me that he actually talked to me in English after LOL, mind he took a while to find the words in English but he struggled way less then me trying to speak Japanese.

Asked me if I beat the game (yes I did), what I thought about Nero's DT (in his words Nero's powa uppu in the final battle) (tried to say it was great in more broken Japanese), what difficulty I beat it on (DH) and if I wanted to go back and do the harder difficulties after I beat it (hell yeah I do).

After that I gave up and just asked Matt to translate what I wanted to say next "please make DLC or just straight up DMC6 be about Dante and Vergil tearing through the underworld" He laughed and said he'd keep it in mind which I mean is probably a non answer but hey good enough for me lol.

Today was awesome.

This is awesome man

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Keep posting fanart pleaaaase. This game is really bringing out some wonderful artists.

A Cup of Ramen posted:

Today was awesome.

This is so cool! Not gonna lie I am incredibly jealous.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Kilometers Davis is one of the nicest people on the forums and you're a dipshit 30something who posts like a teenage Redditor. Absolutely embarrassing.

I don’t know about one of the nicest but I appreciate it :) you’re too kind

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

A Cup of Ramen posted:

Today was awesome.

hell yeah

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

drat now I gotta switch careers and find a job at Capcom so I can get one of those stylish shirts.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

A Cup of Ramen posted:

Today was awesome.

Some very cool stuff, glad you enjoyed yourself my dude

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
gently caress Proto Angelos on DMD. loving tanky rear end POS taking a thousand years to die so you start getting hit by him not because his attacks are hard to dodge but because you're getting impatient and rushing in because you're so loving sick of fighting him.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
You really could just shorten that to gently caress Proto Angelos. They're the worst enemy in the game by a long shot imo.

edit: Proto Angelo and Fury are the enemies I'd single out as just plain not fun to fight. I have never had a good time fighting a Fury. Even that veiny teleporting skull guy with the blade hands is better than them because at least you can knock those over sorta reliably.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Mar 16, 2019

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Yes, also gently caress Furies. If I had known there were going to be Furies in this mission, I would've equipped 8 Rawhides.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Also, if I had one piece of advice for newer players, it is that the sideways dodge move (R1+B) is a trap. Unless it is you versus literally one enemy and they use an attack that does not have any follow up, or you're intentionally filling time to build the style rank, do not ever do it. Ever. You're not invulnerable for the whole thing, you cannot move during it or reliably cancel out of it, you circle around the enemy so the analog stick position for the next dodge shifts and makes it hard to do another one, and you can't even do another one right away because there's a tiny cooldown. Do not do the dodge roll. Just drop your lock-on and jump instead.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Spergatory posted:

Yes, also gently caress Furies. If I had known there were going to be Furies in this mission, I would've equipped 8 Rawhides.

I got some tips itt and watched a YouTube for Nero vs Furies (Dante is easy you can just block or breakdance). I've been using hard way and gerberas mainly because they've got the biggest margin for error. If I miss a gerbera clash I'm generally out of trouble anyway. Hard way is also good but a little harder for me to time correctly. It does set up a fury to cop a walloping though (especially when post game you can just smash R2 for a devil buster move and follow them up from that for good damage ).

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

CJacobs posted:

You really could just shorten that to gently caress Proto Angelos. They're the worst enemy in the game by a long shot imo.
:psyduck:

CJacobs posted:

Also, if I had one piece of advice for newer players, it is that the sideways dodge move (R1+B) is a trap. Unless it is you versus literally one enemy and they use an attack that does not have any follow up, or you're intentionally filling time to build the style rank, do not ever do it. Ever. You're not invulnerable for the whole thing, you cannot move during it or reliably cancel out of it, you circle around the enemy so the analog stick position for the next dodge shifts and makes it hard to do another one, and you can't even do another one right away because there's a tiny cooldown. Do not do the dodge roll. Just drop your lock-on and jump instead.
:psyduck::psyduck:

My man, have you heard of the good word of Table Hopper? Or Trickster?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The only enemies I abhor fighting are Hell Judecca and as V fighting almost anything on DMD except trash mob to mid range enemies is loving misery. Everything else has some way to cheese it or is easy to fight.

I will absolutely agree that Proto Angelos have an obscene amount of health on DMD combined with the damage reduction they receive from DT that makes so fuckin spongy.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

complaining about proto angelos and furies seems really weird to me. they’re both aggressive but have very distinctive tells. granted i’m not playing on DMD (yet) but i think they’re great

the enemies i personally dislike the most are the nobodies (kind of erratic, tough to stagger, throws homing explosives that you WILL target by accident) and those big tentacle crocodile things that i forget the name of (sorta boring, just massive unstaggering hitboxes)

also re: table hopper — could anyone explain to me what it actually is?? across both dmc4 and 5 i’ve bought it in both games but i don’t think i’ve ever actually pulled one off because i don’t understand what it is or what makes it better than just jumping out of the way

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Kaubocks posted:

also re: table hopper — could anyone explain to me what it actually is?? across both dmc4 and 5 i’ve bought it in both games but i don’t think i’ve ever actually pulled one off because i don’t understand what it is or what makes it better than just jumping out of the way

It's basically a short-range teleport that can be chained three times (fully upgraded) on a perfect dodge and has no recovery frames at all, and each "teleport" can be aimed freely. So you can dodge back, dodge to the side, then dodge back into their face to resume fighting immediately. It's sweet as hell, but admittedly not that important for actual combat, at least to me.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

CJacobs posted:

my dude you are pretty good at video games but you are completely off base with this. Sometimes staying on the ground is key to not exposing yourself to getting slapped out of the air, especially on harder difficulties. You can chain your jump out of the dodge roll, and also dodgerolling a move gives you more style meter than jumping out of the way.

Table Hopper is Nero dodging at the last second. It's the same timing as a perfect parry but a dodge instead of an attack. It's absolutely disgusting what Nero can get away with and is basically his version of Trickster. don't sleep on it.

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Mar 16, 2019

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I'm on SoS and I'm a little into Dante's part and the Furies and Blade Arm guys give me the most trouble :(

Blade Arm guys aren't hard but they kill my style because I feel like no matter what I hit them with they teleport away which takes 5 years and have too much health for minions that pull that poo poo. Then the Fury teleporting assholes I just don't like... understand at all. It's not like I've died to one yet but I have lost a TON of health whenever they show up because I just do not understand how to fight them as they don't seem to stagger at all whenever I do hit them and I'm real bad at their tells other than "oh he vanished, I'm gonna get hit from the front in a second aren't I?"

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Jack Trades posted:

My man, have you heard of the good word of Table Hopper? Or Trickster?

Obviously those are the exceptions dude come on.

edit: Should note for the peanut gallery that my post does not translate to "never ever dodge on the ground", instead you should position yourself so that it is an absolute last resort because if you get into a situation where you have do the dodge roll in a crowd, you already lost because the enemies are going to follow it up immediately. Which is why I said the 'unless' part that went unread apparently.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Mar 16, 2019

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
After spending a few minutes fighting them in the Void, DMD Furies aren't so bad with Nero. You can hit them with Hard Way > Buster when they spawn, then just practice dodging their bullshit by jumping or rolling until they do their combo ender where they appear in mid air for a second to flash their blades. If you dodge that, they'll be vulnerable for a second, and you can Streak > Hard Way > Buster > Charge Shot 3. The charge shot timing is tricky, because you have to let go of the button after the buster animation ends (or you'll lose your charge for nothing), but before the Fury teleports away. Repeat as needed. Not the most stylish, but it works.

Side note: you hit two Busters, and you're using Nico's Buster Arm (it does more damage), then the delayed explosion from Charge Shot 3 on your second combo will sometimes kill him in the middle of his pointless teleporting through the background, and it will be hilarious every single time it happens.

Also, if you don't mind sacrificing an arm, a charged Buster Arm will kill him outright.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
After the poo poo that just happened to me someone is gonna have to make a hard sell on why Hell Judecca is not the worst enemy in the series.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Captain Baal posted:

After the poo poo that just happened to me someone is gonna have to make a hard sell on why Hell Judecca is not the worst enemy in the series.

They're motherfuckers but they aren't skating crossbow statues from DMC3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pissdude
Jul 15, 2003

(and can't post for 6 years!)

Captain Baal posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d05v4z-53p4