Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I keep a couple plastic trim tools in my glovebox for chipping loose the gas door when it inevitably gets snow inside it, melts, and then refreezes shut.

Last week I was at the gas station and someone was trying to get theirs to open, and I helped them bust it loose. IMHO, gas stations should be legally required to provide those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Whatever happened to just slipping an index finger into a notch in the fuel door and pulling it open, manufacturers? If you're that worried about someone siphoning gas, just throw on one of those capless fuel fillers that Ford loves using so much.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Colostomy Bag posted:

This is why we should go back to flipping the license plate down to filler her up. It would solve the problem.

Those were :krad: and all but the hoses didn't like them very much. If you didn't pull really far ahead at the pump you ran a very real risk of the nozzle falling out and shooting gas all over the place. The walk of shame to go tell the attendant was never any fun.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

MisterOblivious posted:

Those were :krad: and all but the hoses didn't like them very much. If you didn't pull really far ahead at the pump you ran a very real risk of the nozzle falling out and shooting gas all over the place. The walk of shame to go tell the attendant was never any fun.

How might one theoretically fix this if you were working on a car with this kind of filler?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

BitBasher posted:

How might one theoretically fix this if you were working on a car with this kind of filler?

Honestly I've never had that problem, it's just a matter of being able to pull forward enough (rear bumper in line with the pump nozzle) for it to sit without incident, or crouch down and hold the nozzle. :shrug:

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Raluek posted:

Honestly I've never had that problem, it's just a matter of being able to pull forward enough (rear bumper in line with the pump nozzle) for it to sit without incident, or crouch down and hold the nozzle. :shrug:

Thanks!

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
IIRC weren't the license plate filler setups also really vulnerable during rear-end collisions?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

wolrah posted:

IIRC weren't the license plate filler setups also really vulnerable during rear-end collisions?

Yeah, that's why they stopped making them after '96. It doesn't take much of a bonk at all to bend or break the fuel filler tube.

In fact, I got tapped about a year ago, just enough to dent my bumper, but it also tore the seam at the base of the filler neck, so I only have half the capacity if I don't want it to drip drip drip until it gets down to that line.

Still the best place to put it, IMO. The days I benefit from the convenience of having it there are more than the days I am inconvenienced by idiots crashing into me, lol.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Wow, they lasted up to 96?

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:
I recall pumping gas into some car that had the filler behind a tail light. Some 50s Chevy I think.

e: '56 Belair

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Yep, had to look that one up because I faintly remember it.

This whole conversation reminds me of where the fuel door is located on the Wagon Queen Family Truckster.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Colostomy Bag posted:

Wow, they lasted up to 96?

Yep, the '96 Impala still had it behind the license plate.

Behind the tail light is pretty boss, too, I gotta say.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
Jeep YJs had the license-plate filler as well, IIRC, and that design lasted up until 1995, I think?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Not really "people", but I noticed a lot of these fake cattle guards out near the OR/NV border recently.

Is the idea that cows are dumb enough to think that's impassable, and not try to walk on it?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Javid posted:

Not really "people", but I noticed a lot of these fake cattle guards out near the OR/NV border recently.

Is the idea that cows are dumb enough to think that's impassable, and not try to walk on it?

What the hell is reasoning?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Javid posted:

Cows are, in fact, that dumb.
And/or their vision sucks, but they work.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Javid posted:

Cattle Fooled by Phoney Grids

quote:

Ranchers throughout the American West have found that they can save money on cattle grids by using fake grids instead, consisting of stripes painted across the road. Real cattle grids, usually made of a series of parallel steel tubes or rails with gaps in between, which make it physically impossible for cattle to walk across them. However, cattle do not usually try to cross them; they avoid them. The illusory grids work just like real ones. When cattle approach them, they "put on brakes with all four feet", as one rancher expressed it to me.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Much like drunk drivers and painted tunnel entrance murals.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

TotalLossBrain posted:

Much like drunk drivers and painted tunnel entrance murals.

I thought that was only Wile E Coyote

*meep meep*

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
Saw a weird one today. Some dude in a Rogue pulled into the shopping center I was eating at and pulled into the fire lane. He put on his hazards and proceeded to spend about 5 minutes rolling forward, stopping, and rolling forward again until he cleared one entire side of the parking lot. He then left without parking or picking anyone up.

:iiam:

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

sleepy.eyes posted:

Saw a weird one today. Some dude in a Rogue pulled into the shopping center I was eating at and pulled into the fire lane. He put on his hazards and proceeded to spend about 5 minutes rolling forward, stopping, and rolling forward again until he cleared one entire side of the parking lot. He then left without parking or picking anyone up.

:iiam:

Could be someone doing mobile scanning of smart meters for a utility, or someone doing data collection for something.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Or most likely he was an idiot.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I am getting increasingly pissed off with people who can't park their cars in between two obvious yellow lines.

I mean, what the gently caress is the problem? Stop being such a lazy poo poo and position your car properly, for gently caress sake.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

PT6A posted:

I am getting increasingly pissed off with people who can't park their cars in between two obvious yellow lines.

I mean, what the gently caress is the problem? Stop being such a lazy poo poo and position your car properly, for gently caress sake.

Now that you mention it I should have taken a picture. This morning I parked at a quick stop and some massive pickup truck pulled in next to me, parked diagonally with his entire rear quarter from tire back over the line in my space. He just didn't give a gently caress. All he had to do was back up and reposition once. Or park in any of the next 4 spaces over, which were all empty.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
I was just at the grocery and a very long blue pickup was diagonal (mostly) over a handicapped spot. No placard or plates signifying even a shred of correctness. An employee was on the phone getting the plate when I pulled in. :negative:

edit:

AMISH FRIED PIES fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Mar 23, 2019

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
The owner is an old with a badly entitled attitude

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
yeah, almost certainly some rear end in a top hat who looks like a fat brett favre who talks too loving loud and suggests violence as a solution to any political or cultureal issue

fakeaccount
Jun 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Tank Boy Ken posted:

The Honda Civic has the toogle just above the the lever for the motor cover. It's a bit inconvenient to reach.

But it's easier to reach if you open the door, and get out of the car, such as you would do in order to pump gas, right?

fakeaccount posted:

Getting on the highway tonight, I found myself following some dumbass in a nissan rogue with their lights off. I started flashing my highs, but they just didn't get the message. I kept flashing for about a mile before I realized I was better off just passing and getting the hell away from this rolling visibility hazard.

Quoting myself, and if you don't like it, sue me. A couple days ago I was making a left in a two-lane intersection and a black rogue - probably the same one - turned and directly into the right lane, forcing me stomp the brakes. Are these cars driven exclusively by morons, or did I encounter the same horrible driver twice?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

fakeaccount posted:

Quoting myself, and if you don't like it, sue me. A couple days ago I was making a left in a two-lane intersection and a black rogue - probably the same one - turned and directly into the right lane, forcing me stomp the brakes. Are these cars driven exclusively by morons, or did I encounter the same horrible driver twice?
Do you know any smart people who would buy that piece of crap?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Krakkles posted:

That perfectly describes the market for Nissans in general, as far as I can tell.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
I know this is a boring complaint, and maybe I'm just getting old, or maybe it's because I've had three cars in the last decade rear-ended and destroyed while sitting at lights or stop signs, but I am pretty much losing all patience for tailgaters.

If I'm going 80mph on a 55mph highway, traveling in the left lane, and passing a huge line of cars moving much slower in the right lane, you do not loving need to sit half an inch off of my bumper. I've been doing a decent amount of driving these past few days and I swear I don't think I've spent more than five minutes in a passing lane without someone riding so close behind me that I can't see their headlights. It's especially infuriating when it's some monstrous SUV where the driver should clearly be able to loving see that there are cars in front of me and it is not physically possible to be driving any faster.

These are always inevitably the same people who end up weaving around traffic in the right lane and ending up like ten cars farther back from where they started because that never loving works. How do people drive like this day in and day out and not ever come to the realization that their idiotic, impatient driving habits aren't actually get them anywhere?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
When people do that to me I will happily cut the cruise 5 mph at a time until they gently caress off.

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.

Paradoxish posted:

These are always inevitably the same people who end up weaving around traffic in the right lane and ending up like ten cars farther back from where they started because that never loving works. How do people drive like this day in and day out and not ever come to the realization that their idiotic, impatient driving habits aren't actually get them anywhere?

This actually works in OKC, where people are terrified of having to interact with merging vehicles, and the right is my own personal HOV lane.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

PT6A posted:

That perfectly describes the market for Nissans in general, as far as I can tell.

I really like my Xterra. :'(

Soon it will be fed to the car gods for a Giulia, don't tell it anything...

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Javid posted:

When people do that to me I will happily cut the cruise 5 mph at a time until they gently caress off.

me irl

the trick is to match the speed of the lane you're passing but only up it by like 1 or 2 miles an hour so the person tailgating you sees enough progress to stay behind you. theeeeeeeeeeeeeen drop it back down to the same speed

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Paradoxish posted:

I know this is a boring complaint, and maybe I'm just getting old, or maybe it's because I've had three cars in the last decade rear-ended and destroyed while sitting at lights or stop signs, but I am pretty much losing all patience for tailgaters.

If I'm going 80mph on a 55mph highway, traveling in the left lane, and passing a huge line of cars moving much slower in the right lane, you do not loving need to sit half an inch off of my bumper. I've been doing a decent amount of driving these past few days and I swear I don't think I've spent more than five minutes in a passing lane without someone riding so close behind me that I can't see their headlights. It's especially infuriating when it's some monstrous SUV where the driver should clearly be able to loving see that there are cars in front of me and it is not physically possible to be driving any faster.

Dickheads will be dickheads. Don't let it influence how you drive. Just get over when it's reasonable and let them be dickheads out of sight and out of your sphere of influence.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Is there anything more pants making GBS threads than 60 mph rush hour traffic with a double trailer hauler slaloming?

Dude was loving desperate to get up the road and didn't quite know where his load ended and drat near took the front end of three cars off (I was one of them).

I wonder if his DD is a BMW.

fakeaccount
Jun 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Krakkles posted:

good point

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~

Paradoxish posted:

In NY, 90% don't care about the walk of shame back to the last car in the left lane after being blocked. Their belligerence trumps their sense of shame in most situations. Then you'll get this 10% that just doesn't care there's no room. "You can either let me cause an accident, or let me in" is their motto.

This was yesterday on my way from NYC back upstate:

I need to adjust my dashcam so that you can see the front of my car because you can't tell from this angle he's inches away at one point.

Oh, someone did something stupid, what was it this time?

[ ] Subaru Forrester/Outback/Legacy
[X] Honda CRV
[ ] Dodge Grand Caravan/T&C
[ ] Nissan Rogue

I don't do a ton of highway driving but I do enough, especially in more toxic routes such as upstate NY to NYC and back, to notice trends that just have to stop but never will. I've mentioned this before and most in the thread agreed that it's best to just go generally faster than the rest on the highway. Not crazy get pulled at any moment fast, but just pass all the clumps of traffic. This works 90% of the time, until you inevitably get to a group of Enhanced Tailgaters. This special group of people not only love to tailgate, but they don't seem to mind, and may even like, to be tailgated themselves. You've all seen this before. It's 65 and you live in an area where you can get away with 79/80 and you're cruising. But you see it in the distance, get a good glimpse of it for a moment going downhill, a single car leading 5 to 10 other cars. You think to yourself, "Ha, that guy must be going super slow or inconsistent." But you soon realize they, and everyone behind, are going 85 and never any slower.

Now, in an ideal situation, which sometimes happens, a glimpse of world peace can occur. A caravan of 80 - 85 mph, all going consistently, giving each other space? :discourse: We all dream of it, and sometimes in a great while, the stars align and we can enjoy it. Perhaps, even, for a considerable amount of time!

But no, alas, insert the Race Horse. The driver who has to pass no matter the speed. Doing 65 in a 65? They'll do 67. Doing 80 in a 65? They'll do 82. Sometimes they'll tail you for a minute before passing. Sometimes they just crawl on your left, taking breaks in your blind spot for a while. Just depends on their style. But one thing is certain: Speed limit/lane/weather - none of it matters. They live to pass. When a Race Horse is faced with a group of drivers going 85, no matter they were perfectly content cruising at 72 moments ago, they interpret this as a personal challenge. "Look at all these people in MY way!" they say to themselves. And so begins the cycle. The RH shoves into right lane, floors it, gets 1, 2, maybe 3 cars ahead, shoves themselves back in. Tailgating catalyst engaged! RH just pissed off the car behind him, or the car behind him simply doesn't bother to adjust distance, so now RH is getting tailed. RH is of course tailing the car in front of him. The car in front of the RH can move over, and possibly end this whole encounter. But no! It's an Enhanced Tailgater! He's fine with it! After 10 minutes the RH finds another opportunity to go right, floors it...OH! Not this time! He has to get back in, but not before the car behind him fills the void he left, so now RH is even further back, and everyone getting tailed forever, repeat cycle until someone gets hit, exits, or for some crazy reason finally decides to move over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

At least they signaled. You could have, you know, not accelerated to try and block them.