Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

That middle panel looks fine - they need to fill her eyes in more, but assuming she is looking to the left side of the panel then it's a pretty good coy, sideways glance.

Yeah, that is fine. She looks unappealing, but it's not anatomically wrong in any major way. She's not meant to look appealing.

Maybe a little shading on the left side of the jaw would make it read a little better, but it's far from awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

No Immortal Hulk slander on this page, please.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Teenage Fansub posted:

Immortal Hulk slander

Great band.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Cross-posting from Bad rear end Thread (Click-through for action sequence)

Hajime No Ippo has been in continuous serialisation by the same writer and artist, George Morikawa, for 30 goddamn years. Managing to knock out 1 chapter every single week (Save for the occasional break)

If you click through for the fight sequence, take note of how well the sense of weight is carried through when the disciple is sent flying
Just drat good art :allears:

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
cross-postin some cool 2pg spread in todays x23

e: and as usual immortal hulk is killing it

site fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Feb 6, 2019

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Hey it's that guy who got dunked in the toxic waste from Robocop :3

Wendell
May 11, 2003

All right, yeah, I’ll read X-23 if it looks like that!

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

You should’ve already been reading it because it’s really good!

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

There's a Dark Horse videogame comic sale on right now and it reminded me of their Dragon Age covers. They really stood out to me when I'd look through new releases at the time. Never seen a page of the interiors.
They're by Sachin Teng

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Timelapse of Patrick Gleason drawing a Young Justice page.
https://twitter.com/patrick_gleason/status/1103073508920311808

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
this is what i get for getting curious about carols past books after watching the movie

in the next issue they use the name machine manwoman :ughh:

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
What book is that, and why is Machine Man wearing Monica Rambeau's old outfit?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Ms marvel issue 21, machine man had his body destroyed in an attack, but apparently the reason he joined Carol's crew was because shield promised him an lmd of Monica Rambeau??? and so now he has his head attached to the lmd's body

e: this is thing that someone wrote and two editors read and they all thought yes okay this is cool

e2: and with 24 issues left in the run here's the exact moment where im quitting my read through

site fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Mar 16, 2019

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Someone really missed the mark on Aaron's character whoa.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Trying to imitate nextwave did not work out well for anybody.

site posted:

e2: and with 24 issues left in the run here's the exact moment where im quitting my read through

Who is the jerk who told you to read Brian Reed's run on Ms. Marvel? Or indeed any run on Ms. Marvel before Kamala Khan took the name?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
No one, I was just curious about pre ksd Carol

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The three or so issues of Ms. Marvel with Spider-Man are okay. Everything else is pretty mediocre at best.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

site posted:

Ms marvel issue 21, machine man had his body destroyed in an attack, but apparently the reason he joined Carol's crew was because shield promised him an lmd of Monica Rambeau??? and so now he has his head attached to the lmd's body

e: this is thing that someone wrote and two editors read and they all thought yes okay this is cool

What the gently caress is this poo poo?

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
That run also has a deeply creepy and salacious Puppet Master plot, you're not missing anything.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
the puppet master plot was the one previous to this and, if you can believe it, was a lot less egregious than this

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I guess I either forgot the order or quit during the Puppet Master thing. Although I sort of remember picking it up later in the run to read about Moonstone because I didn't respect my own time in the aughts.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I haven't gotten to moonstone yet so it must be after this

The puppet master stuff is like, implicated, in the first issue of the arc but it's really just 2 1/2 issues of fighting so it's never really talked about that he's selling these girls for "security" but we all know he's not selling them for security. so it's easier to push through

But this is just... Reed is just putting it out there

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

site posted:

No one, I was just curious about pre ksd Carol

You would have been better off reading her Chris Claremont written 1970's series. Not that I'd actually recommend that book to anyone, but it's still better than that series.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
This is as bad as Avengers 200, and this only came out ten years ago. What the gently caress, Marvel.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Brian Reed was good friends with Bendis and pretty much got to do whatever he wanted on that book. I feel like everyone who hates Nextwave is actually remembering Machine Man as he was in Ms Marvel.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Random Stranger posted:

You would have been better off reading her Chris Claremont written 1970's series. Not that I'd actually recommend that book to anyone, but it's still better than that series.

I read the first two issues of the first volume for the origin story, but tbh i just do not like that old writing style at all and avoid reading it when i can lol so i didnt bother with anything beyond that

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

site posted:

I read the first two issues of the first volume for the origin story, but tbh i just do not like that old writing style at all and avoid reading it when i can lol so i didnt bother with anything beyond that

IIRC, Claremont took over with issue 7. But it really is not good so it's not like you missed much.

That Ms. Marvel series was part of a push by Marvel in the mid-70's to diversify their line by having women headline some books. Even if 70's Marvel wasn't a complete trainwreck, they approached this with all of the skill and tact of a bunch of male comic book nerds writing for "chicks". Ms. Marvel and Spider-Woman are probably the best of these series and they're pretty bad.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Isn't the Puppet Master stuff in the same arc as that Machine Man stuff? Like, Machine Man and Sleepwalker are helping to fight the Puppet Master as part of the 50 State Initiative stuff. A premise that could have been really cool, but...isn't.

Also, I honestly found the Puppet Master stuff a lot more skeevy than the Machine Man stuff (which you're right, it's also very bad). The scene where Masters has a Ms. Marvel puppet and is menacing Carol while he tells her that the ones who pretend not to "want it" actually want it the most? The fact that Tigra and Cassie Lang are amongst his abducted slave prostitutes?

There's even reference in the dialogue to how his new magic clay allows "fine control" over his victims, which is what allows him to run his sex slave operation. Like, Brian Reed actually gave this 60s era character new powers so he could write a story where the Puppet Master's magic mind control puppets can be used to make women perform specific sex acts. Also he's enslaving and selling a bunch of non-superpowered women who definitely aren't there for private security.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

In a better writer's hands it could have been a serious look at a feminist hero fighting the international sex trade, but instead it's full of mind controlled teenage girls, Aaron Stack quipping as he fights mind controlled teenage girls, and Carol in a swimsuit being mostly ineffectual at stopping this ancient Fantastic Four villain from running a sex slave ring.

It like, actively undermines its own incredibly sensitive premise, pretty much as if Reed doesn't realise how radioactive the material he's writing is. Like, he feels very comfortable turning a plot about sexual slavery into an opportunity to play to the cheap seats with a tepid take on Machine Man.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
no the puppet master story is previous to the machine man stuff i screened, which are from an arc about the brood, and then another about skrulls (secret invasion)

nothing youre saying about how skeevy it the pm arc is is wrong. but the arc is only 3 issues and an issue and a half of that is just fighting so it really doesnt linger on how gross it is and all the women and girls are clothed and it gives off a different 'feel' to me, like when you're reading it it's like "yo this is really creepy" as opposed to a more visceral "holy poo poo this is awful!" like the machine man stuff is, if that makes sense

site fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Mar 17, 2019

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Best Carol Danvers is from Uncanny X-Men. Either the Brood arc, or Genosha where she takes charge of Rogue’s body.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Don't know what this is from, and honestly, I think it would have worked even without the bubbles leading the eye.
https://twitter.com/KurtBusiek/status/1110648664811159552

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Endless Mike posted:

Don't know what this is from, and honestly, I think it would have worked even without the bubbles leading the eye.
The Pax Americana issue of Multiversity.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
Quitely's a master at that kind of layout.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

See also, the spread from the same comic where panels move about a space in three periods of time, delineated by the lighting on the floor.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Mar 26, 2019

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Senior Woodchuck posted:

Quitely's a master at that kind of layout.

Yeah, that's great storytelling. Funny to remember that for a long, long time Marvel had a house rule about breaking panels and this guy still follows that archaic guideline and makes it work to his advantage.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Endless Mike posted:

Took me a second to get what you meant. I was reading the bubbles thinking "ok, the bubbles are just next to each other what is it leading me towar--ohhhhhhkay I just read that right to left didn't I?"

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Today's Heroes In Crisis title page by Clay Mann.

The outlined rose wrecks it a little, but it was a featured object on the previous page.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

When are they not in crisis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Lurdiak posted:

When are they not in crisis.

It's DC. When are they Heroes?