Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
Lisa Hanawalt also publishes books with her art style. What a fraud.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

Nobody gives Tim Burton poo poo about all his movies looking exactly the same.

I don't know if people give him poo poo but Tim Burton is definitely mocked for having the exact same aesthetic and actors in every movie

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Picasso's got like one thing, he paints faces weird. And he keeps doing it! What a hack

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Son of a Vondruke! posted:

Uh... both those shows did do crossovers.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I forget what point I was trying to make, but I just remembered that time scooby doo crossed over with twin peaks. Scooby doo should go on bojack.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Billzasilver posted:

I forget what point I was trying to make, but I just remembered that time scooby doo crossed over with twin peaks. Scooby doo should go on bojack.
The Scooby Doo/Supernatural crossover was easily the best episode of Supernatural. Also Mystery Inc. was a drat delight.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Related: They recently released a movie on DVD (and I presume streaming) that wraps up The 13 Ghosts of Scooby Doo which never had an actual ending in the 80s. :allears:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Astroman posted:

Related: They recently released a movie on DVD (and I presume streaming) that wraps up The 13 Ghosts of Scooby Doo which never had an actual ending in the 80s. :allears:
Does Scrappy die?

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

You people are absolutely ridiculous. I'm not sure why saying it's "a little strange" gets this kind of defense. It is. It's a little strange. If you think that's a completely off-base reaction to the point where you're posting pictures of these one-off crossover episodes, then I honestly have to think you're a little bit stupid, or at least playing stupid to try to score internet points. Like do you really think American Dad and Family Guy share continuity because they crossed over once? Do you honestly not see how that's different from the Cleveland Show and Family Guy? Or Futurama being sufficiently distant in setting from the Simpsons? Or how, if Matt Groening did another show in the year 3000 in the same art style, you'd kinda expect it to be related to Futurama? If you can't, then you're either kind of an idiot or you're playing in bad faith. Saying it's strange is a very mild sentiment.

And no, no one's saying it's strange that it has the same art style, because obviously people will continue to draw in their own style. I'm saying it seems strange that it's the same art style AND the same setting. You have to understand that the "AND" is important, because it's two things that are put together. I've been putting "AND" and "ALSO" in all-caps, but no one seems to notice.

Hawkgirl posted:

But as pointed out several times on this very page, the universe IS different. It’s a lot more Family Guy vs American Dad than Family Guy vs Cleveland Show like you’re pretending.

Being really butthurt about the implication that you might be a flawed human being like the rest of us is usually a good sign that you are not perceiving things in an unbiased fashion

Like this? This is a complete idiot's post. Who has pointed out any reasons the universe is different? So far we haven't seen anything except human-like animals walking around in the modern day. I guess thinking it's strange it's not the same universe makes me biased for some reason? If you're an idiot, sure, that makes plenty of sense.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
There's been several American Dad cameos in Family Guy and vice versa, including Steve's simulation sequence and the end of the hurricane episodes. (along with The Cleveland Show, but obviously that doesn't quite count)

Billzasilver posted:

Scooby-Doo has crossed over with everything, it's rad.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Actually I just fired up a newer American Dad episode, I forgot just how much it looked like Family Guy. I haven't seen this show in years. Well, mark me down for that then too. It's a little strange if they aren't officially a shared universe.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Phenotype posted:

Actually I just fired up a newer American Dad episode, I forgot just how much it looked like Family Guy. I haven't seen this show in years. Well, mark me down for that then too. It's a little strange if they aren't officially a shared universe.

The new seasons are good. It's had a remarkable run of good quality.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

PostNouveau posted:

The new seasons are good. It's had a remarkable run of good quality.

American Dad is a good show, the writers are great at both magic realism and character driven humor.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

It’s scary how good American Dad is. Almost as good as Bob’s Burgers. Which had a crossover with Archer :allears:

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lurdiak posted:

Nobody gives Tim Burton poo poo about all his movies looking exactly the same.

to be honest though the end of the circus trilogy is apparently really good please go see it

(i'm talking about Dumbo and Devito here)

Phenotype posted:

You people are absolutely ridiculous. I'm not sure why saying it's "a little strange" gets this kind of defense. It is. It's a little strange.

You: "This is strange"
Everybody: "Nah not really, here's a bunch of different examples showcasing different things dude, it's okay!"
You: "Everybody else is idiots"

Like there's no reason to be this hostile but here you are.

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

Phenotype posted:

You people are absolutely ridiculous. I'm not sure why saying it's "a little strange" gets this kind of defense. It is. It's a little strange. If you think that's a completely off-base reaction to the point where you're posting pictures of these one-off crossover episodes, then I honestly have to think you're a little bit stupid, or at least playing stupid to try to score internet points. Like do you really think American Dad and Family Guy share continuity because they crossed over once? Do you honestly not see how that's different from the Cleveland Show and Family Guy? Or Futurama being sufficiently distant in setting from the Simpsons? Or how, if Matt Groening did another show in the year 3000 in the same art style, you'd kinda expect it to be related to Futurama? If you can't, then you're either kind of an idiot or you're playing in bad faith. Saying it's strange is a very mild sentiment.

And no, no one's saying it's strange that it has the same art style, because obviously people will continue to draw in their own style. I'm saying it seems strange that it's the same art style AND the same setting. You have to understand that the "AND" is important, because it's two things that are put together. I've been putting "AND" and "ALSO" in all-caps, but no one seems to notice.

Like this? This is a complete idiot's post. Who has pointed out any reasons the universe is different? So far we haven't seen anything except human-like animals walking around in the modern day. I guess thinking it's strange it's not the same universe makes me biased for some reason? If you're an idiot, sure, that makes plenty of sense.

shut the gently caress up lmao

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Asema posted:

You: "This is strange"
Everybody: "Nah not really, here's a bunch of different examples showcasing different things dude, it's okay!"
You: "Everybody else is idiots"

Like there's no reason to be this hostile but here you are.

What pisses me off is that I voice what I thought was a pretty innocuous opinion and half a dozen people fall all over themselves to purposely misunderstand me and call me bigoted or whatever.

Would you expect a Matt Groening show set in the year 3000 to be related to Futurama? If so, then me saying it's "a little strange" these two shows aren't related is something that you should basically agree with. I'm not saying anything negative, I'm not even voicing a strong opinion. I even said I was looking forward to the new show. Why do you need to try to refute my opinion somehow?

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

All I’m saying is if all you were really trying to say is “this is strange” you wouldn’t need the 6 page essay to prove it lmao

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Phenotype posted:

well, it's not strange at all, really. american dad came into being when family guy was canceled. it's clearly supposed to be a not-family guy show.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
*michael schur writes the same sitcom, repeatedly, for years* "this is good. i like this exploration in this same vein. there are many good ideas to come from this same creative river"

*lisa hanawalt gets her own show where she does her thing as a creator instead of an art/creative director* "woah woah woah hold up now, this is derivative"

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

Did u kno that Ash Ketchum and Red technically never exist in the same universe? How loving CURAZYYY is that?!

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I’m 11 years old and welcome to my TED Talk

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Billzasilver posted:

I’m 11 years old and welcome to my TED Talk
An 11-year-old talking Pokemon theories would be the best TED Talk ever recorded.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

FactsAreUseless posted:

An 11-year-old talking Pokemon theories would be the best TED Talk ever recorded.

Comedy bang bang has some podcast episodes that are really really good https://comedybangbang.fandom.com/wiki/Dash_Grabum

It has some great lines like “no, I don’t really eat the Pokémon. Canonically, I’ve never eaten anything.”

Billzasilver fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Mar 17, 2019

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

"Some people are saying that this new cartoon looks like Bojack."

"Yeah, it does."

"Well you realize they're saying that because they are sexist, right? Like there is literally no debate here. Can we all just agree on that?"

"No."

"OK, well clearly you are sexist. I thought you were, but this is proof!"

"No I''m not, and here are a bunch of examples of why I'm not."

"Well here are a bunch of examples of why you ARE."

etc etc.

Nobody is going to change anyone's mind here. Both sides believe they are right and no matter what the other says on the surface, they'll still believe they can read their mind and see the secret true motivations behind their posts. It's really kind of tiring.

Of course, by posting this, I'll be accused by both sides of trying to "shut down discussion". Well yeah, I am, because it's annoying. I remember when Futurama came out there were people saying the art style looked like the Simpsons. That Groening was one note. If Futurama had failed and not had it's own distinctive plot, writing style, and following it would have gone down as a footnote in animation history. And when Parks and Rec came out a lot of people (including me) thought it was a rip off of the "documentary series" style of The Office.

I would bet that a lot of people who are criticizing the new show are sexist. But a lot probably aren't. If they say they aren't, you can only guess at knowing. You can accuse them all day and be totally sure they are, but you can't prove it. If you think they can, report them to a mod for sexism and let the mod decide. :shrug:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

So many straw men in this thread the characters of Hanawalt's new show are afraid to fly near it

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Billzasilver posted:

Did u kno that Ash Ketchum and Red technically never exist in the same universe? How loving CURAZYYY is that?!

Uh, they did back in Silver where I named my player character "Ash" :smug: checkmate.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Wait who would this piss off

Phenotype posted:

Oh I guess that answered my question

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

Astroman posted:

"Some people are saying that this new cartoon looks like Bojack."

"Yeah, it does."

"Well you realize they're saying that because they are sexist, right? Like there is literally no debate here. Can we all just agree on that?"

"No."

"OK, well clearly you are sexist. I thought you were, but this is proof!"

"No I''m not, and here are a bunch of examples of why I'm not."

"Well here are a bunch of examples of why you ARE."

etc etc.

Nobody is going to change anyone's mind here. Both sides believe they are right and no matter what the other says on the surface, they'll still believe they can read their mind and see the secret true motivations behind their posts. It's really kind of tiring.

Of course, by posting this, I'll be accused by both sides of trying to "shut down discussion". Well yeah, I am, because it's annoying. I remember when Futurama came out there were people saying the art style looked like the Simpsons. That Groening was one note. If Futurama had failed and not had it's own distinctive plot, writing style, and following it would have gone down as a footnote in animation history. And when Parks and Rec came out a lot of people (including me) thought it was a rip off of the "documentary series" style of The Office.

I would bet that a lot of people who are criticizing the new show are sexist. But a lot probably aren't. If they say they aren't, you can only guess at knowing. You can accuse them all day and be totally sure they are, but you can't prove it. If you think they can, report them to a mod for sexism and let the mod decide. :shrug:

you know what you call a person who finds discussions about sexist bias annoying? a sexist piece of poo poo lmao burned b*tch

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I'm going to assume they ARE the same universe and there's nothing anyone can do to stop me

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Regy Rusty posted:

I'm going to assume they ARE the same universe and there's nothing anyone can do to stop me
Tuca and Birdie is the internal world Penny retreated into after her experiences with Bojack. This is why she never found out about Philbert.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

This is a weird discussion to have. I will say that the jump from "it's strange this new show has an identical art style" "no its not strange at all" to "it's strange this new show has an identical art style" "no its not strange at all, and you only think it is because you're sexist" is really bizarre.

When I first saw an image of the new show, I thought "oh, what's the deal with this new bojack thing?" And when I saw Lisa say "it's not a bojack thing, it's it's own thing, it just looks the same because I have a consistent art style" I went "huh, OK cool" and that was my shared universe adventure

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

ninjewtsu posted:

When I first saw an image of the new show, I thought "oh, what's the deal with this new bojack thing?" And when I saw Lisa say "it's not a bojack thing, it's it's own thing, it just looks the same because I have a consistent art style" I went "huh, OK cool" and that was my shared universe adventure

Yeah exactly. If you feel the need to end that with anything other than “huh, OK cool” you have weird brain things going on.

some kind of bug
Jul 10, 2011

The styles aren’t even as similar as Family Guy and American Dad are. The colors are all flat on this show instead of watercolor textured, and there was a far shot of the town towards the end of the trailer that looks more hyperstylized than Bojack gets. I think it would be more jarring for Bojack to pop up in this show than it would be for Peter to visit Mr. Dad. Shut up now

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

There’s a trailer?!

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

some kind of bug posted:

The styles aren’t even as similar as Family Guy and American Dad are. The colors are all flat on this show instead of watercolor textured, and there was a far shot of the town towards the end of the trailer that looks more hyperstylized than Bojack gets. I think it would be more jarring for Bojack to pop up in this show than it would be for Peter to visit Mr. Dad. Shut up now

I think you mean Stan Smith, who works for Patrick Stewart at the CIA.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

Yeah. Mr. Dad is what Stan Smith calls his gun. And his penis. And his car.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I kind of get the complaint. It’s not about the art style but rather specifically the fact that they are animal people. This is a big part of the charm and uniqueness of BoJack and one of the things that sets it apart from other adult animated shows. A second show about depressed animal people is more along the lines of Matt Groening making another show about the year 3000 after Futurama than just applying his character style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

I kind of get the complaint. It’s not about the art style but rather specifically the fact that they are animal people. This is a big part of the charm and uniqueness of BoJack and one of the things that sets it apart from other adult animated shows. A second show about depressed animal people is more along the lines of Matt Groening making another show about the year 3000 after Futurama than just applying his character style.

This might nail it down it removes some of what make BoJack unique. They didn't seem all that depressed though, it felt more like Aggretsuko from the trailer. Just a slice of life story.

I don't get why people are so angry about it being this though. I certainly felt it was going to be BoJack related until I finished the trailer, it's a completely different feel. This is fine.