Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Wait until you go to an Arbor Day celebration in Afghanistan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I just came back from the Munich Saint Patrick's Day parade, and I almost dare not say it, but it was an even more culturally bizarre experience than the countless Oktoberfests in America

I mean America at least has strong historical/ethnic ties to Germany given immigration patterns so it makes sense why they're celebrated here, even if they're long deviated from their original forms.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Ken Bone Comeback posted:

well gimme the highlights, don't leave me hanging here

I'll crosspost

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I'd post pictures, but it's pretty much the most boilerplate experience you could possibly come up with. An absolute sea of these comical Guinness top hats and the most cliché green attire overall, but having participated in Saint Paddies Day "celebrations" in the US, I was fully prepared for it. I was a little surprised that the same trend would be visible in loving Germany, but I had braced myself for it nonetheless.

What I was not prepared for was the participants of the parade themselves also being clad in the most comically-clichéed attire. I mean, there were one or two Vereine in there that seemed to have some genuine roots and did their floats / performance accordingly, but the rest was pretty "This is how I think Ireland works as per my television consumption". I can't really rag on the Vereine of performing arts, like that Jugendverein doing traditional celtic dance or whatever, nor that 50-strong pipes & drums section, because the thing they're going for is the mastery of the actual art, but the former was dancing to Amy McDonald, and the latter was playing Scotland the Brave (literally twice as they marched past the bend at the Odeonsplatz, it almost felt like every dude with a guitar playing Wonderwall at every party he goes to. Yeah, it's cool, but you know how there's more more than ONE song for the instrument?)

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

https://twitter.com/jpbrammer/status/1106974178203320322?s=20

:3

This Twitter thread is amazing.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Ahahahaha that is amazing.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

anyone else like to visit Ireland and order Irish car bombs

Ordering Black and Tans in Ireland goes over even better.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Orange cat owns

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

Ordering Black and Tans in Ireland goes over even better.

I remember when I was 18 and I asked a dude I worked with if he ordered one when he had a stopover in Shannon on the way home from Iraq. Dude saved me from getting my asskicked years later by explaining why that wasn't something I should do.

Though I've heard people order Irish car bombs with no issue in Scotland, but :shrug:

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of societies that'll start fights over really old poo poo, is there a drink that pisses off the South that much? Do we need to make one, like 1 shot wild turkey 101, 1 shot sweet tea vodka, set it on fire and call it a general Sherman?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Slim Pickens posted:

Speaking of societies that'll start fights over really old poo poo, is there a drink that pisses off the South that much? Do we need to make one, like 1 shot wild turkey 101, 1 shot sweet tea vodka, set it on fire and call it a general Sherman?

That sounds loving vile but i'd still drink it, as a self-hating southerner.

Thank god I escaped the south.

E: there's several drinks called the General Sherman, one of them is even just a shot glass of southern comfort with about 5 drops of tabasco in it.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Mar 17, 2019

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

oh drat I had no idea about Black and Tans. Irish car bomb is sort of in the name

Good to know

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Slim Pickens posted:

The juneteenth episode of ATL Has a pretty good list of drinks. I think "slavemaster poison" was among them.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
There's also one called a Bloody Sunday, try ordering that in a Irish bar and see what happens.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Black and Tans are really good though. The gently caress it’s the same thing as a “dirty hoe?” lol so two wrongs there

Was snakebite the PC term

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

BigDave posted:

There's also one called a Bloody Sunday, try ordering that in a Irish bar and see what happens.

Try ordering a Micheal Collins, see what happens :haw:

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

realtalk anyone got my old hose drinkin av saved anywhere

lowtax needs a spine and hoses need drinkin

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
http://www.muddledmuse.com/saars/

(Try old usernames)

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

nada

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Thing can't even pull up my current avatar, let alone any old ones

Water777
Mar 19, 2015

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I just came back from the Munich Saint Patrick's Day parade, and I almost dare not say it, but it was an even more culturally bizarre experience than the countless Oktoberfests in America

The best St. Pats is in Montreal imho. Still a huge gong show but at least all your favorite pubs are on the parade route and it's (mostly) not all douchebags.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
I knew I saved this somewhere...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

Thing can't even pull up my current avatar, let alone any old ones

Yeah I tried too, I think it's broken. There's another way to find old ones, like change the URL of your current av from 0004 to 0002 or whatever, but if you don't have an av already I dunno how to pull it up.

E: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3843959

Slim Pickens fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Mar 18, 2019

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Terrible Robot posted:

a hero amongst posters

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Terrible Robot posted:

Oh hell yes.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

any gif wizards wanna flip that back and forth at ludicrous speed

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

Terrible Robot posted:

gently caress yes.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Let me know if you want the timing changed or other flips or something. This is only 150 px, you can have up to 180.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

EBB posted:

Let me know if you want the timing changed or other flips or something. This is only 150 px, you can have up to 180.

:stare:

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

EBB posted:

Watching those three GIFs dance while listening to Perturbator sure was a hallucinatory and terrifying experience. One’s brain can only handle so much HOSE DRINKING before it slips into madness.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Who was it that got probated in some thread and wasn't allowed to post there anymore because of that AV?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
That’s what Sam Neill saw in the Event Horizon.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Aquaman is...certainly something.

I loving love underwater sci-fi poo poo and I was expecting my mind to be blow Subnautica-style in a hero-movie setting, and while the conceptual art of all the Atlantian stuff and the ships and gimmicks are pretty cool, the execution feels really...half-hearted. It feel like a combination of Jupiter Rising with a Michael Bay spin on it, just throw enough shiny poo poo at the audience, and they won't know what to love most. And while at least the action stuff isn't as seizure-inducing as a Michael Bay movie - and I don't know how to really put it - you never really get to appreciate the awesomeness of what you're seeing, because half of it is faced-paced as hell, and the other half seems to be implemented with super-dated CGI.

To make things worse, several parts of the movie seem like they're being produced / directed by entirely different studios / people, and some of those occasions are in scenes and settings that belong together. Like, the part where princess whatshername fights Black Manta's commandos is a really cool fight scene, and seconds before / later, you have Black Manta fighting Aquaman in what looks like a Power Rangers episode. With literal loving moves from Power Rangers villains by Black Manta...I can't tell if this is supposed to be a callback or easteregg or whatever, but it feels incredibly misplaced. Or Black Manta re-engineering his suit of armor to the quite possibly worst music I've ever heard selected for such an occasion.

On top of that, some of the lines for the actors and some are absolutely terrible. I get that some silliness and humor fine in these movies, and it kinda works in the Marvel movies, but here it just seems so out of place half of the time.

Jason Momoa is loving awesome for the role, I genuinely love me some Willem Dafoe, but the lines they're feeding them seem just super awkward.

It still manages to be a pretty decent movie, but while I'm not some cynical rear end in a top hat that doesn't like fun and shits on everything before even seeing it through, I spent half the movie thinking "Christ, this could have been so much more". And that's really what I'm left with, it could have been so much more.
I'm not even sure why I seem to have expected a lot from a Superhero movie, since I'm not really that big on them, but I guess Jason Momoa in a cool setting had me more stoked for it than I thought.

Decent watch, but bit of a letdown, really.

/edit: lol, wall of :words: to explain how little you care, good job, Dingus Funlop

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Basically DC.txt then

Also, whoever said that Batman v Superman ultimate super turbo champion edition is significantly better than the original cut was spot on.

Whoever made the original edit should've been flogged with a rubber hose.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

ok but does better still equate to good? I got the blu-ray in a clearance bin, need to get around to it

And yeah, pretty much agree with Aquaman.txt. Definitely worth a watch, but pretty forgettable. I guess Khal Drogo is good for the role but man he’s just such a meh actor with line delivery. I know, I know, comic book movie and all that. I guess at least DC put out a half decent movie.

Wonder Women was good but also forgettable. Everyone seems to say it was ‘bout near perfect until the ending and boss battle, which I don’t even remember.

Is Justice League even worth a watch?

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Batman v Superman director's cut I would call a good watch. Not great.

But even if you don't like it it fills out everything and explains so much poo poo it's worth it for that alone. You are left wondering why they cut so much important poo poo out originally.

Justice League was bad and didn't make sense a lot. And the bad guy is called Steppenwolf for gently caress's sake.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Prometheus is like that too. A confusing mess in the theatrical cut while the additional deleted scenes basically explain the weird plot points into sense.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Who was it that got probated in some thread and wasn't allowed to post there anymore because of that AV?

it was me, i was kicked out of ycs for it

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
Went to the AKC Agility Dog Nationals this weekend.
Hundreds and hundreds of happy dogs having fun with their chill people.
Unfortunately, my lens is just not up to indoor sports, but ... dogges!

This dog was ripped!

This dog was a freaking bullet.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I guess Denis Villeneuve's Dune started production(probably early test shots and scouting at this point, there's still a lot of casting to do) and Khal Drogo is gonna play Duncan Idaho, sooo we'll see how that goes.

Other casting looks pretty rad, but they haven't cast Feyd yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

joat mon posted:

Went to the AKC Agility Dog Nationals this weekend.
Hundreds and hundreds of happy dogs having fun with their chill people.
Unfortunately, my lens is just not up to indoor sports, but ... dogges!

Nice to see agility equipment that isn't made by my previous employer (or more correctly, shipped from China and marked up 5x over).