Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

The final boss of the game is yourself, who you travel back in time to kill before he unknowingly transmits the FOXDIE virus throughout the land.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Metal Ninja: Souls Die Twice

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

Fallen Knight Armor with a Irithyll/Darkwraith Straight Sword was like painting a bullseye on yourself for invaders.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

lonter posted:

Where? I need spoilers ASAP

Gameplay trailer will go live here at 9 AM EST. Consider making a burner YouTube account (it makes you sign in due to age restrictions) if you don't want your YouTube feed to suddenly get chock full of inevitable Sekiro spoiler videos.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

What exactly is going to be new for the gameplay embargo? Is an official gameplay reveal of some stuff we haven’t seen or what?

Frog Act posted:

I never played Bloodborne and still haven’t had the mid game twist explicitly spoiled for me and I’ve built up quite an imaginary version of it from this kind of stuff

Anyway I never really watch YouTube stuff but I watched some gameplay videos and all the early players keep saying it’s “on another level” of difficulty, but then do things like ignore the suggestions to find environmental fire to fight stuff (for example), so I wonder if it’s being overstated a bit

That’s awesome. I was spoiled on every boss and really everything about Bloodborne before playing. You really have to give it a try sometime!

enojy posted:

Casting my vote now: futuristic samurai robot vampire

Edit: on a bus

:vince:

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

There's a hard counter to almost every boss or enemy in a souls game though.

Like, you can stunlock brainsuckers to death with a level 6 torch in upper cathedral ward.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Sekiro better deliver my crazy poo poo (beyond the great bits I've seen so far, crazy bosses) or so help me Miyazaki I'm coming for you.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

JBP posted:

Sekiro better deliver my crazy poo poo (beyond the great bits I've seen so far, crazy bosses) or so help me Miyazaki I'm coming for you.

Did you read my spoiler post up there from a GI interview with Miyazaki? It seems to imply that there’s definitely some sort of crazy poo poo going to go down that we aren’t expecting. Who knows though really.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Kilometers Davis posted:

Did you read my spoiler post up there from a GI interview with Miyazaki? It seems to imply that there’s definitely some sort of crazy poo poo going to go down that we aren’t expecting. Who knows though really.

I glanced this and yeah I'm aware of the implication.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Kilometers Davis posted:

What exactly is going to be new for the gameplay embargo? Is an official gameplay reveal of some stuff we haven’t seen or what?

Probably a new area/visually cool thing, some new mechanic or weapon thing that's eye catching or like a deep dive into the three different skill trees and styles with some gameplay of each?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

JBP posted:

I glanced this and yeah I'm aware of the implication.

At this point I’m just super happy that I have no clue what to expect with this game. I knew almost everything about Bloodborne before playing. I’ve bounced off the Souls games a ton of times and know most of the bosses etc. this game I’m going in fresh! I’ve been watching a lot of videos about the game but there’s no way FROM is going to spoil stuff that they know will be an amazing reveal. Well okay spoiling the (boss spoiler shown in some early footage) huge monkey boss sucked because I love primates and would’ve lost my poo poo at it but eh no big deal. It will still be awesome seeing that in my own playthrough.

thebardyspoon posted:

Probably a new area/visually cool thing, some new mechanic or weapon thing that's eye catching or like a deep dive into the three different skill trees and styles with some gameplay of each?

9 am can’t come soon enough :f5:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Megasabin posted:

I think it's a form of storytelling that takes advantage of the unique traits video games have over writing/movies/other multimedia. And FROM is really great at it.

yeah half the reason i got so into these games is i feel like from are practically the only people using the medium properly for storytelling.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

4 more days to sekiro

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
If anything, this extended trailer is just showing me how pretty the game is in slow motion.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I can’t imagine that FROM is going to take all the lessons they’ve learned from a decade of making incredible games, with their entire A-team assembled , and then beef it super hard.

Sekiro also suffers because of the fractured fan base.

If the story isn’t exclusively relegated to item descriptions, lore nerds will complain

If the combat is too easy to learn/too difficult to master people will complain that the old games were better because combat was easier/harder

If even one boss demands that you have the proper reflexes required to parry, then millions of people will flood YouTube with tears over how they can’t fat roll/Zweihander through every fight.

I know this makes me a bad person but somewhere out there is someone who thinks they are good at Souls games who will not be able to do anything because they spent the series brute forcing lovely builds and don’t know how to parry and that... ugh, Jesus it gives me life.

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

There's a hard counter to almost every boss or enemy in a souls game though.

Like, you can stunlock brainsuckers to death with a level 6 torch in upper cathedral ward.

Yeah it’s called Parrying it works on 99% of enemies in all of these games.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Gameplay reveal trailer is up, didn't seem too spoilery. May have shown a glimpse of an unknown boss or two, but there was no UI, so I don't even know if those were bosses. Biggest possible spoiler has to do with upgrading the prosthetic arm, and I'd hardly consider it a spoiler. Overall very good little hype piece!

Really just goes over what everyone knows so far -- brief intro on who you are and what you're doing in the story, you can grapple hook, you can use stealth, parrying, guard breaking, you can resurrect at a cost etc. So if you really don't want to see any footage of the game, skip it.

enojy fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Mar 18, 2019

crimedog
Apr 1, 2008

Yo, dog.
You dead, dog.
Gotta take Friday off work

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Bust Rodd posted:

If even one boss demands that you have the proper reflexes required to parry, then millions of people will flood YouTube with tears over how they can’t fat roll/Zweihander through every fight.

I know this makes me a bad person but somewhere out there is someone who thinks they are good at Souls games who will not be able to do anything because they spent the series brute forcing lovely builds and don’t know how to parry and that... ugh, Jesus it gives me life.

i never parried until bloodborne and even then i didn't start doing it until i hit a brick wall with gascoigne. and i'm glad i did because that's gotta be the most fun combat mechanic of all time. i wish someone would make a game that rips off that combat completely.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Bust Rodd posted:

I hope this game is hard as gently caress. All the vision makes it look like you're going to have to actually fight enemies and they are going to fight you. I'm so pumped. If this can deliver a stealth, lightning timing and patient sword fighting experience on par with DMC5s maniac action fare I'll be set for tier one gaming for the rest of the year.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Groovelord Neato posted:

i never parried until bloodborne and even then i didn't start doing it until i hit a brick wall with gascoigne. and i'm glad i did because that's gotta be the most fun combat mechanic of all time. i wish someone would make a game that rips off that combat completely.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengance is a character action brawler made by the Bayonetta guys and the core mechanic is parrying your enemy’s attacks with your sword. Every enemy in the game can be parried, and if you perfect parry them then you get to cut them in half and rip their spines out and drink their vital fluids. Did I mention you’re a cyborg ninja?

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

I can’t imagine that FROM is going to take all the lessons they’ve learned from a decade of making incredible games, with their entire A-team assembled , and then beef it super hard.

Sekiro also suffers because of the fractured fan base.

If the story isn’t exclusively relegated to item descriptions, lore nerds will complain

If the combat is too easy to learn/too difficult to master people will complain that the old games were better because combat was easier/harder

Yeah it’s called Parrying it works on 99% of enemies in all of these games.

Lol no it doesn't. Parrying only works for human shaped enemies.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

JBP posted:

I hope this game is hard as gently caress. All the vision makes it look like you're going to have to actually fight enemies and they are going to fight you. I'm so pumped. If this can deliver a stealth, lightning timing and patient sword fighting experience on par with DMC5s maniac action fare I'll be set for tier one gaming for the rest of the year.

i'm definitely on board with the descriptor "from software take on making a platinum game". combat looks very revengeance-y as projected through the lens of a soulsborne

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Bust Rodd posted:

It doesn't make you a bad person, it makes you a bit of a jerk though. Why is anything other than parrying a lovely build in those other games? Why does somebody thinking they're good at those games because they played it a different way to you give you a sense of superiority, seems pretty wanky to me?

The only enemy I ever parried in Bloodborne was the brick troll guys, rest of the game was eminently doable without ever bothering.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

all these lesser souls players are going to be tremendously problematic, unlike me, the correct souls player!

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

thebardyspoon posted:

The only enemy I ever parried in Bloodborne was the brick troll guys, rest of the game was eminently doable without ever bothering.

it's way more fun if you do (i went back to not parrying in ds3 except for pontiff and champion).

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

thebardyspoon posted:

It doesn't make you a bad person, it makes you a bit of a jerk though. Why is anything other than parrying a lovely build in those other games? Why does somebody thinking they're good at those games because they played it a different way to you give you a sense of superiority, seems pretty wanky to me?

Just remember, people like this also think DEX builds are for noobs. Since you’re using a katana in Sekiro, everybody will have a DEX build now. We will all have bad builds in the eyes of *sniffs own fart* the Right Way to Play Souls.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

parrying is kind of crummy in dark souls 2 and 3 because of the windup frames

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

not to mention they changed the riposte noise to like, a creaky door opening? in dark souls 2. one of the worst things that game did

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Lol no it doesn't. Parrying only works for human shaped enemies.

This is, uh, not true. You can’t parry dogs or crows because the guns just knock them down, The only bosses in the game you can’t parry or break are Ebriatas, Rom, Mergo’s WN, and Amy. I’m struggling to come up with a regular enemy you can’t parry. I guess I’ve honestly never tried to parry a giant boar because the backstab is so easy.

I also only feel this way about Bloodborne. Dark Souls combat in 1/2/3 isn’t really that fun no matter how you play it so do whatever. I have opinion on Dex builds because it sounds like you just move fast and attack fast? Parrying in Dark Souls isn’t as fun or rewarding as it is in Bloodborne and BB really goes out of its way to make parrying easy, powerful, and rewarding. Everyone who posts “I beat Bloodborne without parrying” like it’s an accomplishment just comes off as someone whose proud that they failed to grasp an important and cool mechanic. It’s your choice to play that way, but BB was designed with parrying in mind and it really shows at higher levels of play.

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Mar 18, 2019

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i think what i liked about bloodborne parrying was the gun/melee combo. i don't run shields in dark souls and when i pop on a buckler to try out parrying it doesn't have that same visceral feeling of getting the shot off properly and hearing that metallic success sound.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Cowcaster posted:

not to mention they changed the riposte noise to like, a creaky door opening? in dark souls 2. one of the worst things that game did

I liked how you knocked them on their rear end for the riposte setup though

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Bust Rodd posted:

This is, uh, not true. You can’t parry dogs or crows because the guns just knock them down, The only bosses in the game you can’t parry or break are Ebriatas, Rom, Mergo’s WN, and Amy. I’m struggling to come up with a regular enemy you can’t parry. I guess I’ve honestly never tried to parry a giant boar because the backstab is so easy.

i think he's talking about the souls series at large, because the way you phrased your initial post didn't specify bloodborne parries (in fact you said "all these games" which isn't true)

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

I also only feel this way about Bloodborne. Dark Souls combat in 1/2/3 isn’t really that fun no matter how you play it so do whatever. I have opinion on Dex builds because it sounds like you just move fast and attack fast? Parrying in Dark Souls isn’t as fun or rewarding as it is in Bloodborne and BB really goes out of its way to make parrying easy, powerful, and rewarding. Everyone who posts “I beat Bloodborne without parrying” like it’s an accomplishment just comes off as someone whose proud that they failed to grasp an important and cool mechanic. It’s your choice to play that way, but BB was designed with parrying in mind and it really shows at higher levels of play.

You said parry not guard break. There are tons of power moves and double handed swings you cannot parry in dark souls 3 and blood borne as well.

Also you can guard break Amygdala.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I’m pretty mediocre at souls games but I also loved them and I kinda hate how often people post about how various play styles are inferior and indulge in all the “git gud” stuff unironically. It’s stupid and bad for getting people to try From games, I didn’t play DS for six years after it came out because I hate “hard” games and then I ended up loving it when I decided to see if it was actually fair

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Frog Act posted:

I’m pretty mediocre at souls games but I also loved them and I kinda hate how often people post about how various play styles are inferior and indulge in all the “git gud” stuff unironically. It’s stupid and bad for getting people to try From games, I didn’t play DS for six years after it came out because I hate “hard” games and then I ended up loving it when I decided to see if it was actually fair

Yeah this is something I’ve found super irritating about the FROM community. If you can beat the game with a build/playstyle then it’s a good playstyle. Same with every game ever released.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Look Sir Droids posted:

Just remember, people like this also think DEX builds are for noobs.

What are you, a casul??? :snoop:

Cowcaster posted:

To me, the worst change was "people are getting through Dark Souls 1 too easily by circling around and backstabbing all the enemies! Let's make it so every enemy can rotate at a competitive ice skater's pace on their loving heels"

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

So it's confirmed there's no multiplayer element to this right? Any online interactions even if minor?

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

enojy posted:

What are you, a casul??? :snoop:

To me, the worst change was "people are getting through Dark Souls 1 too easily by circling around and backstabbing all the enemies! Let's make it so every enemy can rotate at a competitive ice skater's pace on their loving heels"

Then someone came, slapped everyone in the face and said:

"You dumb shits just add charge time to backstabs"

That's how I made Bloodborne

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

I can’t wait until Sekiro is out so people stop talking about souls games here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

thebardyspoon posted:

Ya I agree the other post went a bit too hyperbolic but to your point about BB, I actually am like you, I wasn't that good at parrying in general in Souls but I thought Bloodborne has the easiest parrying in the series because how fast the gun fires.
Souls with all it's different shields/daggers, different animations it felt very hard to parry. I only learned to parry for bosses since their movements are animated very well such as Gwyn.
Honestly I think if you are too good at parrying it kinda ruins the game, you just need to be good enough to use it vs certain enemies.

Anyway from the gameplay reveal this keeps looking like it has more content than I expected. I will be happy if it's 15-20 hours but really loving good. Has it been said how long it takes to finish? I remember one of the Fromsoft pr guy saying it was like 45 hours or something but can't find where he said that.

Ulio fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Mar 18, 2019