Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

Is that whole thing quartz? Can a big sheet of crystals with custom colors be produced these days?

Quartz the countertop material is manmade. Assuming that shower wall is equally manmade. It's still gorgeous, though I could do without the gold fixtures and trim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

Is that whole thing quartz? Can a big sheet of crystals with custom colors be produced these days?

I got curious, so I went looking for the designer, and found out that that's a vinyl decal of a picture of agate over a fiberglass panel, coated with epoxy resin. Absolutely cool idea, and beautifully executed. A bit disappointed to find out it isn't actually stone, but I'm impressed with its cleverness

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
I mean lol. Obviously that's not a real piece of stone?! Imagine how awful you'd have to be to be rich enough to have a piece of stone like that and waste it in a shower like that. I would think this thread, more than any, would understand a decent bathroom when it saw one.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Does a geode that big even exist? Like, in a museum or otherwise?

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I mean lol. Obviously that's not a real piece of stone?! Imagine how awful you'd have to be to be rich enough to have a piece of stone like that and waste it in a shower like that. I would think this thread, more than any, would understand a decent bathroom when it saw one.

I see slabs of countertop stone that big at stone wholesalers' yards all the time. Carrera marble is generally the most expensive natural stone people regularly use for countertops, and it sells at $50+/- per sq ft (generally). Visually, the wall pictured in the shower looks to be 9-10'X6' or about $2700-$3000 to do in a single piece of actual marble. I know that my perception is colored by the fact that I deal with very rich people every day, but that is not prohibitively expensive. People spend double and triple that on kitchen countertops alone

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Geodes around that size exist and they are worth millions upon millions of dollars.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
People make designs with, like, poly on countertops like that. So there might be more than one way to get your rock crystal wall done.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

mutata posted:

Geodes around that size exist and they are worth millions upon millions of dollars.

Well, that would explain why I've never seen agate slabs lol

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

value-brand cereal posted:

by Alex Turco
My fellow females ITT, what you do think of this shower? Me, personally, I love it. It's fancy as gently caress, pretty gold detailing, and has multiple ledges/shelves for all my scrubbing and soaping nonsense. Plus, TWO! Two whole showerheads. Hot drat. Also there's a bitchin geode, which satisfies the corvid side of my brain for having sparkly poo poo near me.

How long does it take to charge it

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

HardDiskD posted:

How long does it take to charge it

A JO crystal that size? You'd have to whack your meat for about 30 years without stopping to charge it up.

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

A JO crystal that size? You'd have to whack your meat for about 30 years without stopping to charge it up.

Look at this thing, you gotta be inserting something into that gaper.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Sweet, almost there

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Breath Ray posted:

id love to read a post like that

I'm a bit tipsy after grilling dinner while sippin', but I'll start off with my boiled down version: I love metal. I want to make some tables and chairs. Excuse me if I ramble.

I work in a metal shop and have an intrinsic appreciation for the material. Mild steel, aluminum, and stainless steel are the three metals I (and most) work with all the time. It shapes the way I think. I look at every piece of metal construction critically. I judge the way it's put together, the welds, the geometry of the joints, the intent behind it. Metal tends to be used in very function-first applications. It has a job to do and it will do that job first and foremost. I-beams in a skyscraper, guard rails on a road, bulkheads of the Staten Island ferry, chassis of your car. Metal is a functional material.

Thinking of furniture like chairs and tables, you see a lot of wood, leather, and woven fabric. Not that these materials can't be strong, but I'd say they're form over function. The role of each can be taken over by another material in a better way. Didn't FLW make chairs out of plywood because it made it accessible? I'll admit, I was just looking at mid century modern furniture one day in a google/youtube rabbit hole. You know how it is, start looking at stuff and get lost looking at more and more. Usually when I do this, I get into the mindset of "Well I don't need to buy this, I can just make it." I'm not saying I have the ability to do it, but that's where my mind goes to. Now with my job, I get to thinking about making everything out of metal if possible. It's just where I'm at, how I work, and how I think.

If you look up "metal furniture" right now, you're gonna see a lot of poo poo made with 2" square tube or industrial bullshit like that. I don't think there's necessarily anything wrong with that, but it's not my cup of tea at all. Stools made with 2" square tubing and not trying to hide that at all. A dining room table made with I beams and thick-rear end reclaimed dinged up pine isn't a look for me either. There's something about using metal stock as-is that bothers me. I don't know why it is. It just looks so off the shelf, maybe? Then there's the tables that want to look like they're using a big gently caress-off piece of 1890's industrial steam-driven heavy machinery as a base for your loving dining room table. But now I'm thinking back to the mid century modern stuff. How would metal work as mid century modern? Yeah, there are metal MCM pieces, but for the most part, those are exceptions.

Mid century modern pieces are, I guess, stereotypically made of wood frame with a stain finish or otherwise grain present. Metal can be textured kind of however you want, and it's something I've been playing with a lot recently. Sanding, burnishing, polishing, sandblasting, all in a way to make the same alloys look and feel differently. Something else I've really noticed about the MCM furniture is the shape of the structure. Metal furniture, like I said before, tends to be made of stock material, like 2" square tube, round tube, or other quickly identified stock. Something like the z chair has a very angular structure but look at those dang intersections! The joints are not where the natural intersections are. And how can you even tell where the intersections are? Because of the wood grain and color. Now if you constructed the "same" thing of metal, I'm sure you could replicate the angles with square or rectangle tubing, cut on a bandsaw, and weld together without too much trouble at all. But look at the shapes of each individual element! There are tapers and compound contours that would make your french curve blush at your drawing board. Some art deco or industrial metal pieces look to be solid extrusions and kind basically be understood in totality in (two) 2D projections, whereas MCM pieces have enough complex compound geometry that they can and should be found interesting from many angles.

I've got it stuck in my head that I'm going to recreate mid century modern furniture in a material that is not conducive to that goal. Unless you work in solid metal, you can't really just shave away bits and bits and slivers of material until you get the profile you want. Not only would it be time-consuming and expensive, it would be heavy as gently caress. I feel the need to make something as compelling in a material considered inferior for the task. I need to make an interesting texture while also considering the very fun aspect of how it will be constructed. Something like splayed legs for a nightstand might not be too complicated, but well, some forms might be tougher to force on to a functional material like steel or aluminum. And yeah, some things might be completely derivative and/or straight up copies, but I'm not selling poo poo for profit, this is for adventures sake.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

I guess we know why it’s located in a shower then.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
Sending love to the former owners of my new house that glued down carpet on the heart pine floor forever ago, ripped it up and proceeded to put down some other carpet.

It’s all getting removed and refinished you fools, it wants to be free.

https://imgur.com/a/Hv4CCBF

And the loving poo poo laminate in the kitchen is going too!

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Rotten Cookies posted:

I want to make some tables and chairs.

I got a haircut this morning and the shop was completely furnished from this company, they must have spent $30,000 on all the tables, shelves, racks and chairs.
https://www.truck-furniture.co.jp/furniture/index.html

They also had a TRUCK shop supply catalog, full of $300 plain racks and $100 coat hooks. Sorry this is the only example they have online.
https://www.truck-furniture.co.jp/shop/products_oth0009.html

This is probably different than what you're hoping for, but go for it!!! Make things! Someday you can separate coffee beardos from lots of money.

peanut fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Mar 19, 2019

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Is this too long for a thread title? Because I love it.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Interior Design Thread: Look at the beautiful marbling of my J/O crystal prison.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

value-brand cereal posted:

by Alex Turco
My fellow females ITT, what you do think of this shower? Me, personally, I love it. It's fancy as gently caress, pretty gold detailing, and has multiple ledges/shelves for all my scrubbing and soaping nonsense. Plus, TWO! Two whole showerheads. Hot drat. Also there's a bitchin geode, which satisfies the corvid side of my brain for having sparkly poo poo near me.

I just wanna point out that there are three showerheads

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Rotten Cookies posted:

Thinking of furniture like chairs and tables, you see a lot of wood, leather, and woven fabric. Not that these materials can't be strong, but I'd say they're form over function. The role of each can be taken over by another material in a better way.

I like the rest of your post but I gotta take issue with this- we use those materials because they are also warm and soft and behave as insulators in ways that metal generally does not.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

My brain was trying to make a point of
metal=strong, monolithic, utilitatian
Leather/wood/fabric=comfortable, organic, not (as) strong.
Then going back and saying "but what if I were to try and make more organic looking metal tables and poo poo?" not trying to make a point that those materials are all inferior and shouldn't be used.

Best I got for ya.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The monobloc chair is a triumph of functionalism.

Urcher
Jun 16, 2006

Rotten Cookies posted:

I'm a bit tipsy after grilling dinner while sippin', but I'll start off with my boiled down version: I love metal. I want to make some tables and chairs. Excuse me if I ramble.

That was a good ramble.

Anyone interested in metal furniture will probably enjoy this podcast episode about this chair.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Turtlicious posted:

Interior Design Thread: Look at the beautiful marbling of my J/O crystal prison.

My geode must be acknowledged

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

Urcher posted:

That was a good ramble.

Anyone interested in metal furniture will probably enjoy this podcast episode about this chair.

Can confirm this podcast is good

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Electric Bugaloo posted:

I like the rest of your post but I gotta take issue with this- we use those materials because they are also warm and soft and behave as insulators in ways that metal generally does not.

Unless you put them in the sun, where they will burn the gently caress out of you, much like the metal playground slides of my childhood.

99% Invisible is one of the two best podcasts out there (the other one is Reply All but they don't really do much in the way of design and so are exempt from this conversation).

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Rotten Cookies posted:

My brain was trying to make a point of
metal=strong, monolithic, utilitatian
Leather/wood/fabric=comfortable, organic, not (as) strong.
Then going back and saying "but what if I were to try and make more organic looking metal tables and poo poo?" not trying to make a point that those materials are all inferior and shouldn't be used.

Best I got for ya.

One of my greatest regrets is not buying this amazing cast iron chair I saw at a flea market for 200 bucks. I will forever be attoning for this.

I would be all over a patio set made of square stock in a danish mid century style. And it's infinitely re-styleable, just rattlecan it whatever style is in at the moment, or strip it back to raw and clearcoat it when the distressed look comes back in a 100 years.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

First project. Excuse my loving mess of a shop. A small coffee table roughly 30" across. Made of 3/32" aluminum sheet and 1/2" aluminum roundbar. Not anything wild, really, but I wanted to get my feet wet. I liked the idea of splayed legs, and really went for the typical wire-leg table that you see. Those legs are usually painted, and typically with a wood top. Like I said, I wanted to try and showcase the metal I made it with.

No matter how much I sand and get it looking good in person, the camera really shames me and makes the surface look like, well..... that. Good thing I'm not a furniture maker, but this first project was fun and humbling. It now sits in the reception area of my shop's office and made the secretary very happy, so I'm happy.

My next project in mind is another coffee table and is a bit more...... ambitious.

EDIT: ^^^^

Something like this?

Rotten Cookies fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Mar 19, 2019

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

that's why you JO with a bro, duh. solo JOing produces very little power

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Rotten Cookies posted:

First project. Excuse my loving mess of a shop. A small coffee table roughly 30" across. Made of 3/32" aluminum sheet and 1/2" aluminum roundbar. Not anything wild, really, but I wanted to get my feet wet. I liked the idea of splayed legs, and really went for the typical wire-leg table that you see. Those legs are usually painted, and typically with a wood top. Like I said, I wanted to try and showcase the metal I made it with.

No matter how much I sand and get it looking good in person, the camera really shames me and makes the surface look like, well..... that. Good thing I'm not a furniture maker, but this first project was fun and humbling. It now sits in the reception area of my shop's office and made the secretary very happy, so I'm happy.

My next project in mind is another coffee table and is a bit more...... ambitious.

EDIT: ^^^^

Something like this?

The edges remind me of cafeteria trays, I like it though. Polishing that up with a series of grits would take a frustrating length of time, then someone would go and put something on it, maybe lacquer it?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Nice! How much does the top flex? I'd think that 3/32" aluminum would have some give to it, but maybe it's more rigid than my imagination expects.

As someone who works with clay, I sympathize on the photography front. Shiny stuff (like metal or glazes) just doesn't photograph well without a lot of careful setup.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

The cafeteria tray bends make it a bit more rigid, but by virtue of being thin aluminum it's still gonna flex if I put my weight down on it.

And it totally does remind me of a lunch tray, but gently caress it, I ran with it. It's gonna get destroyed even in the reception area because the guys coming back from the field are gonna be throwing all sorts of dirty, heavy poo poo on it. I wanted it to look nice, but I'm not gonna be wasting too much time on it.

Next table is gonna be for me personally, so it's gonna get a bit more care.

Thanks for the replies and looking at my dumb words and beginner table.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
God drat I'm in love with those epoxy resin shower wall treatments.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Urcher posted:

That was a good ramble.

this is the #3 on the 'poo poo I see fake copies of all over' list, next to the eames dsw and the tolix stools

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Urcher posted:

That was a good ramble.

Enjoyable pod, up until the talk of these jokers claiming ownership of the design and suing people over a chair designed in the 40s by someone who’s now dead.

IP rights should not be perpetual, get hosed emeco.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

wooger posted:

IP rights should not be perpetual, get hosed emeco.

You’re helping the by using the term “intellectual property”.

It’s a false analogy to land and personal property.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
or how about companies just make some decent original designs instead

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

PRADA SLUT posted:

or how about companies just make some decent original designs instead

They fired all their artists years ago as an unnecessary and unpredictable expenditure.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Platystemon posted:

You’re helping the by using the term “intellectual property”.

It’s a false analogy to land and personal property.
Well that's what it's called so unless you want to have the "I call it herpaderp because it's not property! :byodood:" conversation a million times and spending the extra time to establish credibility before and after that (because that line always generates eye rolling, internally or externally), you're gonna just have to cope with that little misnomer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Functional things like furniture and clothes can't be copyrighted, so the only IP protections available are patents (invent a novel way of putting together a chair?) and trademark (create a distinctive look that is not derivitive of prior art and is clearly indicitive of your brand). The latter is very very difficult, which is why for example fashion designers sometimes try to work a unique print with their trademarked logo into it, or based on an original work of art for which they have copyright, to prevent it being re-used.

For all practical concerns though, there is no functional intellectual property right to a furniture design. You can argue that perhaps there ought to be, or that people reproducing your design are "ripping you off," but this is the reality we all have lived in for a couple of centuries and it's not likely to change any time soon.