Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy

Andrast posted:

Hearing about how lovely of american Internet is will never cease to amaze me

Wait till you hear about our healthcare

*Breaks finger typing. Gets bill for $40,000 dollars*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Digital Foundry’s latency test was at their own home office and not at GDC, right?

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Well they actually said that Stadia will be capable of 4k with HDR on launch. The thing is if you have a 4k HDR screen, that costs already a poo poo ton, you probably can afford a decent pc or a console.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Ulio posted:

Well they actually said that Stadia will be capable of 4k with HDR on launch. The thing is if you have a 4k HDR screen, that costs already a poo poo ton, you probably can afford a decent pc or a console.

*streams 4k video in huge parts of the country* lmao

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
Stadia is nice.
For a clown to wear.
At the circus.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

You can get a 4k HDR TV pretty cheap these days.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

big nipples big life posted:

God bless the Chinese

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
10.7 Tera flops for one huge flop

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Cabbit posted:

That's cool. I live in a major metropolitan area on the west coast of the United States and I can't get fiber. The only available internet is either DSL or cable, and both have data caps that will gently caress you up if you cross them. It gets worse the further inland you go.

Data infrastructure in the US is hosed.

Infrastructure in the US is hosed. Infrastructure is garbage in the US and Canada. The size of the country has something to do with it but their is also too many regulations. Anyone who has ever been to China, Korea knows what modern infrastructure looks like.

Ah it depends on the size you definitely can get some hdr 4k tvs/monitors cheap but smaller. I have an ultrawide 3440p monitor no hdr and it was like $1k

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

I have a 50" 4k HDR tv that was 600 bucks.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Too many regulations like "it's fine to blatantly lie about your 'unlimited' data caps" and "it's OK to have de facto local monopolies"

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Price is not really a barrier to entry for video gaming, especially console gaming, in order to play, basically, console games

but network infrastructure is a barrier to entry for streaming gaming

so it's creating a problem rather than solving one

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

I have a 50" 4k HDR tv that was 600 bucks.

My point was that if you want to play on 4k or 8k(?) that they were saying you will need inevitably spend some money. A console that can play 4k isn't that expensive, it is cheaper than a 4k screen. Also the 4k hdr 60fps at launch is a pipe dream right now when performance on high 1080p looks average at best.

Anyway I am really interested in digitalization/services/streaming so I will follow stadia and try it out even though I have an 2080ti/i7 8700k.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

if you don't have a ton of money and you want to play AAA games, buy a base version of ps4/xbox one, because by the time the stadia comes out, at least one of those will have revealed their next gen system, so base PS4/XB1 will go on sale a ton especially around the holiday

if you want to play games on the go, get a switch, because it's the best value proposition and compromise in terms of having acceptable performance and decent game library and OK visuals. if you're cheap you can't be too picky. and then also you can play mario

the number of games that are PC-only and super high tech and require massive rigs... extremely small. and no game remains pc-only for long

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

What kinda RAM can we expect in this bad boy?

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Dandywalken posted:

The correct kind.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Thank God!!! That definitely puts my mind at ease.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Dandywalken posted:

16 gigs of hbm2 apparently

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Too many regulations like "it's fine to blatantly lie about your 'unlimited' data caps" and "it's OK to have de facto local monopolies"

Too many regulations like "the state has legally prohibited your town from starting its own ISP." Regulations are not inherently good or bad, and there's plenty of bad, anti-competitive regulation that exists purely to protect existing de facto monopolies.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://twitter.com/Theswweet/status/1108066253799776256

lmao.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Blotto_Otter posted:

Too many regulations like "the state has legally prohibited your town from starting its own ISP." Regulations are not inherently good or bad, and there's plenty of bad, anti-competitive regulation that exists purely to protect existing de facto monopolies.

do you think anyone who complains that the problem with ISPs in the country is "too many regulations" seriously thinks that municipal broadband isn't Stalinism

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

This is really just "We're Google, let's disrupt gaming, how hard could it be!", isn't it.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Steve Yun posted:

Digital Foundry’s latency test was at their own home office and not at GDC, right?

It was done in a "controlled environment" which makes it sound like it was done at a Google location, but no, not GDC. This was something that DF had early access to maybe weeks prior.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Feels Villeneuve posted:

do you think anyone who complains that the problem with ISPs in the country is "too many regulations" seriously thinks that municipal broadband isn't Stalinism

do you think that mocking "too many regulations" is helpful when a key problem is, in fact, too many regulations

"Deregulate the internet" sounds like the perfect angle for Democratic state legislatures to use when trying to gut all of the existing anti-competitive internet provider legislation (which is why we will never see them use it, in the fine Democratic tradition of being allergic to good ideas)

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Blotto_Otter posted:

do you think that mocking "too many regulations" is helpful when a key problem is, in fact, too many regulations

"Deregulate the internet" sounds like the perfect angle for Democratic state legislatures to use when trying to gut all of the existing anti-competitive internet provider legislation (which is why we will never see them use it, in the fine Democratic tradition of being allergic to good ideas)

you're talking in a literal sense but "too many regulations" has a very specific rhetorical meaning, anyway I don't think we actually disagree in any meaningful way so it's probably not worth arguing about

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Spring Break My Heart posted:

Oh good, wonderful

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
I can't wait to see Stadia kill consoles and pc gaming so that I can subscribe to it and wait for 20 years that my ISP finally dies to get a new ISP that gives me full 1080p 60fps capability. :thunk:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

wow thatd use my data cap in literally 2 hours

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
This will not end up like Google Daydream, no sir.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Endorph posted:

wow thatd use my data cap in literally 2 hours

the bright future of video gaming simply is not for you

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

God bless the Chinese

TCL owns.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

I'm gonna buy me those Roku TV speakers

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Zephro posted:

If I had to put my money on anyone it would be Microsoft. They have just as good cloud-computing chops as Google but they also have 20 years of gaming-industry experience thanks to the Xbox.

The same Microsoft that killed off Lionhead, gave Halo to 343 and got us Kinect Sports, Halo MCC and Sea of Thieves? That Microsoft?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Lionhead sucked rear end tbf

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
this is a skit from Silicon Valley.

they're gonna get the guy who plays Gavin Belson to do the next GDC panel in character. it cannot possibly be the result of a bunch of tech professionals trying their hardest.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Lionhead sucked rear end tbf

Ok, how's that different from the remaining Microsoft studios?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Halo MCC and Sea of Thieves are good(?)

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

limaCAT posted:

The same Microsoft that killed off Lionhead, gave Halo to 343 and got us Kinect Sports, Halo MCC and Sea of Thieves? That Microsoft?

I mean, this post alone is a larger library of games than the two (2) game library currently announced by Google...

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

DebonaireD posted:

This looks really amazing but goons will always insist on being loudmouthed pessimists about everything. There's so many interesting things you could do with streamed games that no one's even thought about yet, especially multiplayer games.

If streamed games can make a multiplayer compelling enough that fat kids just gather together to throw themselves in the sea at once and leave gaming then yes I'm all for streamed games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Putting Peter Molyneux out of work was by far the best thing Microsoft has given the world of gaming